Joell Ortiz Confirms Writing For Dr. Dre's "Detox," "Free Agent" Delays To 2011

P. Town
P. Town Members Posts: 27,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2010 in The Reason
Brooklyn emcee Joell Ortiz was expected to release Free Agent today. The sophomore solo album from the Slaughterhouse emcee will now see release in 2011. A spokesperson from E1 Entertainment confirmed this to HipHopDX yesterday. The album boasts production from respected hit-makers DJ Premier, Large Professor and Cool & Dre, as well as appearances from Fat Joe and The L.O.X.

Speaking with DJ Envy during MTV's Sucker Free, Ortiz spoke a bit on the album, in relation to his 2007 debut, The Brick: Bodega Chronicles. "If you like The Brick, I]Free Agent[/I is like The Brick with HGH." He continued, "This is a rapper's album. If you want to press the rewind button, and if you want to go, 'Oh, what did he just say?', if you want to zone out, and just chill out ride out in your whip and just think about life, then this is the record for you."

Additionally, Joell Ortiz spoke about his relationship with Dr. Dre, who had briefly signed the emcee to his Aftermath Entertainment imprint in the middle of the decade. Looking back at the experience, Joell noted, "He made my '07 Christmas the best I ever had." The emcee did confirm that he may have a hand in Dre's third solo album. "I wrote on the Detox [album]. I got some money from that; he's a great business guy." With Slaughterhouse band-mate Royce Da 5'9" writing for Dre previously, Ortiz revealed the process. "He gave me 10 beats, I sent him 20 songs - so that was a blessing."
Free Agent is expected to release in January of 2011.

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/id.13168/title.joell-ortiz-confirms-writing-for-dr-dres-detox-free-agent-delays-to-2011