Is society becoming anti-social?

makaveli03
makaveli03 Members Posts: 2,392
edited December 2010 in For The Grown & Sexy
back in the day people would stay in touch almost every day. literally. Nowadays ? dont hear from each other in like months

Comments

• one_manshow
    one_manshow Members Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    makaveli03 wrote: »
    back in the day people would stay in touch almost every day. literally. Nowadays ? dont hear from each other in like months

That was due to childhood/teenager years and phase people got careers and money to make meaning no more time for bullshitting unless its something serious.

Social media/technology had made people more lazy though...no need to call someone when you can text them or fb them.
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    You can order a ? -suckin pizza on the internet. We really do live in an impersonal society.
  • makaveli03
    makaveli03 Members Posts: 2,392
    edited November 2010
    ? what?

u know what this thread is about stop trying too hard to look dumb
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    That's perfect, keep em separate and aloof, that way they won't come together for any revolts.
  • 100%Sagittarius
    100%Sagittarius Members Posts: 478
    edited November 2010
    Yes, anti-social in the fact that it's damn near impossible to have a regular conversation/ date/ night out without the person being on their phone/ taking pictures/ shooting videos/ etc. People don't really live in the real world anymore because they are convinced that their facebook/ twitter lives are real.
  • Young Gunner
    Young Gunner Members Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Im already somewhat anti-social but thats because of different surroundings ive been in
  • muffdizzle
    muffdizzle Members Posts: 253
    edited November 2010
    Yes, anti-social in the fact that it's damn near impossible to have a regular conversation/ date/ night out without the person being on their phone/ taking pictures/ shooting videos/ etc. People don't really live in the real world anymore because they are convinced that their facebook/ twitter lives are real.

They aren't? o_O
  • glowy
    glowy Members Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Oh, you mean asocial.

I was about to come in here and say that society use to be far worse, but you didn't mean anti-social.

Regarding the thread, I wouldn't know, I don't ever initiate conversations with people.
  • chi-guy
    chi-guy Members Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    The net done changed everything up but I think that's one of the worse thing the net has done. Texting and tweets is the norm now. It's rare that numbers get dialed now lol. People don't even conversate when their in person. i remember being @ work and this fool sitting 20 feet away from me instead of saying something she sent me a text. I didn't even respond to that ? . The internet is stripping people of their people skills. Now eveyone just types what they have to say. Very sad.
  • MeTaL
    MeTaL Members Posts: 6,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Yes,many people feel that with the advances in technology we are moving towards a more anti-social/stay-home society. The movie Wall-E did a good job of showing what a society like this may end up being; major weight gain, people mentally lost in a cyber world, individuals extremely oblivious to a non-virtual world. If you ever saw the movie surrogate, It takes this concept a step further by showing us what the world would be like if we were all able to simply plug in and let a robot physically live our lives for us. With the advances in technology it seems that we have more opportunities to connect with one another, so I really believe that we as people are really getting lost in a cyber world.
  • BlackAX410
    BlackAX410 Members Posts: 35,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2010
    Yea cuz whenever JEFF AXEL gets a shorty's number she would rather text then talk
  • Chillin&Postin
    Chillin&Postin Members Posts: 3,057
    edited December 2010
    yes and its very simple to see...

people are wayyyy more familiar texting than talkin

people would rather IM than talk

and it seems more folks prefer meeting potential dates online than actually goin out and meeting desirables
  • T-Rel
    T-Rel Members Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    ^^^^^^^^^basically
  • The_Introvert
    The_Introvert Members Posts: 796
    edited December 2010
    Yeah I think it forces people to only interact with the circle of contacts available at the reach of an electronic device. Back in the day you were kind of forced to spark up a conversation with strangers or at least had more incentive to do so. Now if your in an unfamiliar area you just whip out your mobile phone and check FB messages or text the same group of people you typically interact with.
  • -Karl-
    -Karl- Members Posts: 2,196 ✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Will Munny wrote: »
    You can order a ? -suckin pizza on the internet.

Link ?
  • King Erauno
    King Erauno Members Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    yep. because u dont need to use a phone to talk to people nowadays. facebook...email...text...etc
  • powerman 5000
    powerman 5000 Members Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    This thread is all over the place. I think society more anti-social because people are caring less and less about each other and life in general and i don't think it has anything to do with the internet.