Deacon The Villain (of CunninLynguists) and Sheisty Khrist - NWL (NEW VIDEO ADDED)

Options
RuffDraft
RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2011 in The Essence
812447477-1.jpg

... so... excited...

You can stream the whole album over at bandcamp and the release is just $9 as a download.

They've been dressing up as NWA which is quite funny:

Here's their latest skit:

The single: Satellites:

The album is produced by Deacon himself according to this, with two tracks being produced by KNO!
QN5 Blog wrote:
QK10 draws near its close with the release of Deacon The Villain & Sheisty Khrist’s brand joint-project, ? With Latitude (NWL.).

After an explosive appearance by Sheisty Khrist on CunninLynguists 2008 album ? Acres left fans clamoring for more, Deacon The Villain searched for the perfect opportunity to pair his long-overlooked talents as a producer with Sheisty’s bombastic vocals in an album format. Thus, the concept for ? With Latitude was born.

This 13-track gem is produced entirely by Deacon The Villain, with two clutch offerings from fellow QN5 beatsmiths Kno (of CunninLynguists) and Kokayi. Guest vocal appearances are scored by Natti, PackFM, Mino Slick, the aforementioned Kno & Bianca Spriggs along with the musical stylings of Soul Akoben and guitarist Willie Eames.

Tracks like “American Greed” and Rip The Guts” take the listener for a tour of society’s shadowy corners while “Ascension” and “Final Call” connect with an airy spirituality not-often heard in modern Hip Hop. An open-booth policy was kept during the recording process, with the Kentucky-natives trading places often, challenging each other to up the ante with each verse. The result is a thoroughly dense, rough-around-the-edges musical bombshell that manages to add another distinctively insightful chapter into the annals of southern soul.

If that all sounds a bit intellectual to you, that’s ok…they dress up like NWA – complete with Jheri curls and Locs for your entertainment too.

You coppin'? I'm streaming before I do, at that price if it's dope :tu

NEW VIDEO

Comments

• King45
    King45 Members Posts: 95
    edited December 2010
    Options
    This is an incredible album. I have to listen it to it soon. Flashbacks of NWA.
  • RuffDraft
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Another positive review about the album:

It would be difficult to argue that any other hip hop group has released the amount of quality music that the CunninLynguists have this past decade. Since their last LP together, 2007’s ? Acres, the group has branched out a bit, working with a variety of artists on the critically acclaimed Strange Journey Volume 1 and 2 mixtapes. But, 2010 marked the first chance for the founders of the group, Kno & Deacon The Villain, to display their abilities on their own. Kno released the amazing solo LP Death Is Silent earlier this year and now Deacon has delivered his collaboration with Sheisty Khrist, ? With Latitude. In addition to being a showcase for Deacon, NWL serves as the first extensive recordings we’ve heard from Sheisty Khrist. This balance works well and makes for yet another quality release from the QN5 camp.

While their album teasers & promo campaign involved a lot of humor, this is not the tone of ? With Latitude at all. Deacon & Sheisty tackle serious subject matters on this album, although Kno’s singing at the end of “Brave New World” is quite funny. “Satellites” is an obvious standout as the duo touches on the issues of persona privacy in this day & age. Sheisty attacks the beat with his rhymes, “The man watch me like Van Peebles in posse / like drones in Afghanistan scan people with poppy / my Internet connections choppy/ maybe they’ve detected my downloaded copies of Shrek and Rocky, or Beck and Trotsky/ the Annunaki blacker than the puck in hockey/ I’m leaning back in a truck sloppy sucking Saki / Ponder the ? of Amun and the Illuminati, and how the lumens in the eye make the moon wobbly / I give a ? about you dudes probably/ I study the Code of Hammarabi for a hobby I got two copies.”

The album is truly a “coming out party” for Sheisty Khrist as his performances on songs like “Million Miles High” and “Nobody Speaks” show that his notable appearance on CunninLyguists’ “Gun” was no fluke. Deacon is not outshined by any means, as evident on “Ascension” where he raps, “we fall for the traps, we rats chasing cheese / with straps, tats, ? and rap, we making G’s / all this confusion got us losing by a landslide / and got the biggest ? feeling ant-sized / the disillusioned, the disenfranchised / who wanna through the peace sign, but got they hands tied / why ask why, that’s what they wanna teach us / they’d rather have us sit in the bleachers and wait for Jesus / but I believe he’d rather we doubt what leads us / instead of praising what pleases, ascension.” Just like Kno’s solo album, the CunninLynguists presence is here as well with Natti appearing on two tracks while Kno contributes on “Black Dog” and produces “Million Miles High.”

If there’s one thing to take from this LP, it’s that Kno is not the only skilled producer in APOS. This is by no means the first time we’ve heard Deacon on the boards, but it’s one of the few times we get to hear him craft the entire sound of an album. Deacon creates a sound that exemplifies southern soul throughout the project and harkens back to the Dungeon Family & Organized Noise vibe. From the guitar riffs of “Brave New World” to piano driven “Chevrolet Doors”, Deacon provides a backdrop that finds a way to be familiar yet distinct. The only misstep on NWL is Soul Akoben assited “Rip The Guts”, which skews the flow of the project. The lyrics & majority of the instrumental are fine but the thrash metal chorus makes for an awkward moment on the LP.

Simply put, ? With Latitude is an album that needs to be heard. It’s one of the best of 2010 and hopefully won’t get overlooked since it dropped at the end of the year. NWL, along with his work on JustMe’s Tragedy & Dope, make it clear that Deacon’s production skill is quickly catching up to his lyrical prowess. It also makes fans realize that Sheisty Khrist is a name to remember. They may be “quite possibly the most swaggerless individuals in the history of rap” but they created one helluva an album. One can only imagine what the CunninLynguists will bring to the table on Oneirology if NWL and Kno’s Death Is Silent are just side projects.

8.8/10

This has to be on my to listen to list, they're stacking up.
  • elijahcraig
    elijahcraig Members Posts: 24
    edited December 2010
    Options
    at times this is my AOTY. between Kanye, Kno, Roots, Big Boi, Nas & Damien, Celph Titled. This has been an awesome year in hip-hop.
  • RuffDraft
    edited December 2010
    Options
    at times this is my AOTY. between Kanye, Kno, Roots, Big Boi, Nas & Damien, Celph Titled. This has been an awesome year in hip-hop.

You checked Eligh as well though? That's my album of the year!! :tu

Kno's is dope, such a great album from a producer, Kanye came back with a bang, the Roots released their best album in years (loved the direction with the album and the concept of getting over rather than complaining), Celph Titled brought out a great tribute in the 90's theme.... but I didn't feel Big Boi on a massive level (although the album was very solid) and I fell in love with Nas and Damian Marley's effort after seeing them live in concert.

Definitely a great year though.
  • elijahcraig
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Yeah, Nas & Damien had to grow on me. I loved Big Boi's album just off the simple fact that how many rappers nowadays are truly about feeling good and spreading positive vibrations like Big Boi? He put together a solid effort with solid production. Definety reaches beyond hip hop into a pop realm, but he killed it. I haven't checked out Eligh yet? What's it called? Where can I cop it?
  • RuffDraft
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Yeah, Nas & Damien had to grow on me. I loved Big Boi's album just off the simple fact that how many rappers nowadays are truly about feeling good and spreading positive vibrations like Big Boi? He put together a solid effort with solid production. Definety reaches beyond hip hop into a pop realm, but he killed it. I haven't checked out Eligh yet? What's it called? Where can I cop it?

Yeah, it's true about Big Boi, definitely a great album with solid production for feel-good music.

Check out the Eligh thread, there's plenty of youtube videos in there to get a feel for it:

Eligh: Grey Crow (2010)

I think it's quite easily the biggest sleeper of the year and the best album too. It's pretty widely available as well, it's available in print from Amazon. Download on iTunes, make sure you get the Deluxe Edition though, it's incredible with the instrumentals. It just shows off the strength of the album.
  • elijahcraig
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Thanks, just copped it. Haven't listened yet. Saving it for the Christmas drive the morning.
  • RuffDraft
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Thanks, just copped it. Haven't listened yet. Saving it for the Christmas drive the morning.

Come back and let us know what you think in the Eligh thread :tu Hope that's your best purchase of the year, I'm pretty sure it will be up there :tu
  • sshami88
    sshami88 Members Posts: 11
    edited December 2010
    Options
    hot album, this with The Left and The roots seem to be making my top 3 for 2010
  • RuffDraft
    edited December 2010
    Options
    sshami88 wrote: »
    hot album, this with The Left and The roots seem to be making my top 3 for 2010

A lot of talk about The Left, I'll check it out... along with the other 15 that I need to check out lol
  • sshami88
    edited December 2010
    Options
    RuffDraft wrote: »
    A lot of talk about The Left, I'll check it out... along with the other 15 that I need to check out lol

Yea definetly check out The Left Apollo Brown does his thing on the beats and the lyrics match the beats pretty well real ..............am also listening to Evidence new Ep I Dont Need Love, pretty good so far the beats are on point..........Ohh before i forget another apollo brown production ft boog brown called "Brown Study" , the lyrics do justice to the beats as well ...Apollo Brown Producer of the year, hands down!! jaja
  • sshami88
    edited December 2010
    Options
    ohh another album jajajaja toooooooooooo many good ones, David Banner & 9th Wonder" Death Of A Popstar" and surprise surprise its pretty good . Am not sure if am shocked that David Banner came hard ( pause) with the lyrics Or 9th wonder ( who i think is overated) did some nice beats that didnt all sound the same.....lol
  • elijahcraig
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I still haven't checked that "Death of a Pop Star" I might do that now.
  • RuffDraft
    edited January 2011
    Options
    sshami88 wrote: »
    Yea definetly check out The Left Apollo Brown does his thing on the beats and the lyrics match the beats pretty well real ..............am also listening to Evidence new Ep I Dont Need Love, pretty good so far the beats are on point..........Ohh before i forget another apollo brown production ft boog brown called "Brown Study" , the lyrics do justice to the beats as well ...Apollo Brown Producer of the year, hands down!! jaja

Totally agree with your statement after checking out The Left :tu His production is very nice... I have never got into Evidence though, after checking for him when I first started hearing a buzz for him.

I want to check out that I f*cking hate rappers LP next.
  • RuffDraft
    edited December 2011
    Options