Up Close With K'Naan

ChelleBeauty
ChelleBeauty Members Posts: 1
edited December 2010 in The Essence
Check out the latest from K'naan !! If your a fan of hiphop you are gonna love this dope artist !! Let me know what you think !!

Comments

• traestar
    traestar Members Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Nice!! Thanks for this!!
  • Aztec_Kang
    Aztec_Kang Members Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    respect for posting this. im watching now. im a huge knaan fan. ive told so many people about him online and in person you'd think im nuts. his talent and essence blows me away.
  • RuffDraft
    RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Aztec_Kang wrote: »
    respect for posting this. im watching now. im a huge knaan fan. ive told so many people about him online and in person you'd think im nuts. his talent and essence blows me away.

I thought the Dusty Foot Philosopher was a much more complete album than his sophomore LP though, I find he's second best outta Canada behind K-Os from what I've heard. I know K'Naan is from Somalia, but he's definitely reppin' Canada as well.
  • Aztec_Kang
    edited December 2010
    RuffDraft wrote: »
    I thought the Dusty Foot Philosopher was a much more complete album than his sophomore LP though, I find he's second best outta Canada behind K-Os from what I've heard. I know K'Naan is from Somalia, but he's definitely reppin' Canada as well.

well i heard troubadour first before i heard dusty foot philosopher. i like both cds but favor troubadour. dusty foof philosopher is more spoken wordish to me. even though k'naan spent time in canada i view him as a somalian artist and african artist first and foremost. never checked out kos but i am aware of who he is. knaan the truth to me.
  • RuffDraft
    edited December 2010
    well i heard troubadour first before i heard dusty foot philosopher. i like both cds but favor troubadour. dusty foof philosopher is more spoken wordish to me. even though k'naan spent time in canada i view him as a somalian artist and african artist first and foremost. never checked out kos but i am aware of who he is. knaan the truth to me.

Ahh okay, I heard Dusty Foot first and anticipated Troubadour a lot, but when it finally dropped, the production was more polished and commercial sounding and he'd lost the grittiness and rawness that he had on the Dusty Foot, still some standout tracks though.

This is one of my favourites from K'Naan's "My Life Is A Movie":

In The Beginning is one of my favourite K'Naan tracks, so was good to hear where it came from first.

Anyways, k-os is one of my favourite artists and can respect your opinion of K'Naan being a Somalian artist, but K-Os is on another level to K'Naan in my opinion, even though I'm a massive fan of both.
  • Aztec_Kang
    edited December 2010
    yo im gonna check out the knaan tracy chapman joint. not sure if i ever heard that.

my faves from troubadour: i come prepared, tia, abcs, dreamer, i come prepared, waving flag,somalia, fire in freetown, fatima, 15 mins away.

pretty much the whole album is classic to me but these are my faves from that cd.

in the beginning is a great song too.
  • RuffDraft
    edited December 2010
    yo im gonna check out the knaan tracy chapman joint. not sure if i ever heard that.

my faves from troubadour: i come prepared, tia, abcs, dreamer, i come prepared, waving flag,somalia, fire in freetown, fatima, 15 mins away.

pretty much the whole album is classic to me but these are my faves from that cd.

in the beginning is a great song too.

Yeah, check it, you'll like it :tu

Wavin' Flag and Fatima are nice tracks, as well as Take a Minute and People Like Me.... but yeah, don't get me wrong, it's a really good to great album, I just expected something that I don't think I was going to get in hindsight.

He's a wise and intelligent emcee though, so I'm still going to anticipate his next album like I did his sophomore LP.

In The Beginning's last verse is possibly my favourite from K'Naan ever... it's close to Tupac's Me Against The World final verse for being uplifting and relevant throughout the ages.

Check out k-os as well.