Leggings. A must read. Cause ya'll basic chics are killing me softly!

Options
Purr
Purr Members Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2010 in Fashion Forward
The hyper-sexual cloud that ominously lingers over fashion today only seems to loom more heavily every time a seemingly innocent piece of clothing or trend reaches the point of inappropriate excess. This time, the culprit is the legging—possessing all the qualities of accessory, utility, lounge wear, outerwear, clubwear, etc. The list goes on—as this apparently simple garment has been taken to heights that only serve to make women more dependent on their physical appearance in the name of attractiveness or style.
The problem is that, more often than not, leggings are increasingly being worn in the most unsavory of ways, ways that may prompt someone to instinctively avert their eyes in case they witness something that shouldn’t be seen in the light of day, let alone in public.
I’ve seen it too many times. A young woman, robust or slender, takes it upon herself to wear a pair of barely opaque, second-skin leggings as . . . pants. The former being the most egregious offender, given the unflattering silhouette and sometimes graphic spectacle of visible, albeit covered, flesh. I am often perplexed by, and hard-pressed to wrap my head around, the idea of wearing something akin to underwear, something so thin that is seems oxymoronic to have worn the item in the first place sans a sensible overlay. The tights are usually accompanied by a short tunic, tank or blousy top that slightly skims the beginning of the ass ? , not leaving much to the imagination. One could say that this “fashion-don’t” is just an unfortunate case of poor judgement; however, it is not a rare occurrence.
Poorly worn leggings is a recent look that has prevailed and spread like the flu in wintertime, fostered as a result of cultural pressures to constantly communicate sex through the way that we dress. We are so far from empowering ourselves that we’ve actually gone in the completely opposite direction. The majority of women, and those idolized in entertainment, trot out an excessively sexual image, indicating that we are, in fact, mindless drones all beating in time to the same overwhelming, male-dominated drum.
My other qualm stems from the lazily hackneyed way in which people are using leggings to “dress up.” The leggings and long top-thing couldn’t be less imaginative or bland. It doesn’t take much creativity to put on an over-sized shirt and black leggings and call it an outfit. If anything, it’s such a dated, ubiquitous trend that, unless people at least attempt to step outside of the box, I call for an indefinite moratorium on leggings.
Alas, since I neither have the pull or authority to do such a thing, my only advice is this: take what the masses are doing and do the opposite. Or better yet, leave the leggings in the gym.

written by:- Princess Glover
http://cocoandcreme.com/2010/12/oversexed-overdone-leggings/

if you're snatching an article please give the writer credit :)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTVEJq_6JOzKg_Hkrs5ZxhZbhrqW5gBQ2ZhbPUVMyh2HjZw-Q6h

Not fashion forward at all :(

stop :(

Comments