WWE Killed The Title and many others

Chillin&Postin
Chillin&Postin Members Posts: 3,057
edited December 2010 in Off The Turn Buckle
by having too much damn tv

for all the youngsters out there who dont know,,, each belt used to correspond with a certain card

The Top Belt was only defended at PPV's and grand events which back in the day only came around 4 times a year.
Just like in boxing,the world title isnt defended every damn week. To have a legit title and title holder it must seem like it is hard to acquire.

The Midcard belt(IC,USA,Regional) was to be defended on a monthly or biweekly basis.
That keeps the rising stars fresh because you see the rivalries build so when they finally get to the grand stage you will have bulit up a love for them. Just like the Rock and HHH in the late mid 90's. They built their fan bases off those battle over the IC title.

Then you had the TV title
That was defended only on,,you guessed it it,,TV
But what made it special was that back in the day we didnt have a company puttin out 3 shows a week with 4-8 matches.
You had one show,,maybe a wrap up show or a show jus for vignettes and promos.
But that one show was to feature the TV title or the Tag Team titles as its main event.
See the TV Title had a work that went along with it,,,whoever held that belt mean that he was sooo good of a wrestler that he didnt have to sharpen his skills,he only had to wrestle once a week,,,he was so good he could take on a new challenger every week with no warm up match.

welllll,,,after nitro begot saturday night which begot thunder..whats so good about a tv champ when i see 3 WCW programs every week???

where does WWF/E come into the equation???

well back in the 90's wrestling boom,WWE had to keep up. they went from Saturday Night's Main Event,which was a seasonal thing to Shotgun Saturday Night,which was a weekly thing,made Raw is War & Warzone into one 2hour show then added Sunday night heat...its still wasnt enough to keep up with WCW

so you know what,,,WWF started puttin World title matches on tv,,,FOR FREE!!!!!
EVERY PHUCCIN WEEK!!!

it devalued the title,but it kept the nation tuning in. Even when WCW announced that ? Foley would win the title 3 hours in advance,folks still tuned in(more than expected)

so now you had weekly title matches,gimmick matches out the ? ,4 ways and finger pokes of doom

all the while you got this little Philadelphia company who is doing it right,,they got little show on public access and then on TNN(before it was spike tv)
who has the extremely athletic TV Champion who is puttin on 20 minute matches that the crowds are eating eat so much they dont even care that the guy stop mid match jus to point at his shoulders and say his own name

a0d9d7f394d2af78c5823019c3141734.jpg?v=156150

this little philly company was puttin on such good cards most fans could care less who the world champ was,,,you felt obligated to buy the PPV's because they put on such awesome free shows on friday that you had to see what was in store for the PPV

now in the present day we have a company with 2 'brands" with individual titles and fans asking does the once prestigious IC title even matter any more

Comments

• Anti_matter
    Anti_matter Members Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    I completely cosign the OP.

I remember back in the day as a lil' dude I only had basic T.V. channels and I found ECW by "accident."

It was around 10pm one Friday night and I was checkin' for something to watch when I stumbled across this wack local channel, C43.

I saw this "cheap" looking wrestling show that had "Stunning" Steve Austin talkin' ? while dressed like Hulk Hogan.

I felt like Christopher Columbus. lol
  • Chillin&Postin
    edited December 2010
    I completely cosign the OP.

I remember back in the day as a lil' dude I only had basic T.V. channels and I found ECW by "accident."

It was around 10pm one Friday night and I was checkin' for something to watch when I stumbled across this wack local channel, C43.

I saw this "cheap" looking wrestling show that had "Stunning" Steve Austin talkin' ? while dressed like Hulk Hogan.

I felt like Christopher Columbus. lol

aw man,,,you hit the nail on the head
    you said chris columbus

thats exactly what it was like
    i was elementary,prolly back in 97 and i was up real late,prolly tryna act like i wasnt watchin Red Shoe Diaries,,then i jus happened to see Bam Bam Bigelow fall thru this tiny ass ring with a midget on his back,,,

wtf???

why is bam bam bigelow wrestling on channel 16 in what looks like my elementary school gym...and why is he wrestling a midget???

little did i know,i had jus stumbled upon The Baddest Man on the Planet,the Tazmaniac chokin the ? out of BBB

i never seen wrestling like this,i never seen a manager tossin chairs into the ring.......LEGALLY,,so his wrestler can jump from one turnpost to the the other to do what??? KICK THE OTHER GUY IN THE FACE!!!!!!

? ,that looks real,im telling everyone,,but no,i cant,this is my little secret,,,hehehehe
  • Mally_G
    Mally_G Members Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    word............too much TV has killed wrestling.

Once they started going after sponsorship and the corporate dollars, they threw wrestling out the window and went the entertainment route.

I've always said that the storylines in wrestling has suffered because they are rushed based on it being on TV too much. They have at least 5 hours per week to advance a storyline between RAW, Smackdown, and any other shows that comes on in the middle of the night like RAW AM. That's too much compared to the storylines we cared about back in the day when we saw a feud advance at least once a month and that was during an interview. Too many PPVs have ? things up as well. Now, I wish for the days of the squash match, where we as fans can judge whether or not to like someone so the writers can push them. Have a guy come out, do his thing on a local wrestler, and if we like his character and moveset, then move him on. Now, they just push everyone, regardless of ? gimmick and inexperience.
  • Gnawledgeable
    Gnawledgeable Members Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    It's good to see a title change on tv every once in awhile.

Yea back then storylines would built up in 4 months which made the feuds more exciting.

I accidently found ECW too though the channel wasn't in too clear. I used to check for it tuesday nights.
  • Mally_G
    edited December 2010
    i first saw an image of ECW in a wrestling magazine where Tommy Dreamer was handcuffed to the bottom rope and was ? as all hell. i didn't read anything about it, it was just an ad, and I just bypassed it..............mistake.

then around 96, someone mentioned to me about ECW and how "real" it was because they were going hard, and to check out New Jack. he said that it comes an a public access channel where they only advertise local businesses with pictures and words. so on a Sunday afternoon, i flipped to that station and it came on about 6-7 in the evening and replayed on Monday at 7 before Nitro and again on Friday at 8. the first match i ever saw was this.........

Check 5:37.............GAAAWWWWDDDDAAAAMMM!!!! Never had I seen a beating in wrestling like that and the referee stopped the match. I was hooked after this one match.
  • darkstarr8
    darkstarr8 Members Posts: 455
    edited December 2010
    Damn... found ECW by mistake too late at night. It was Taz versus somebody and Taz was doing all kinds of suplexes and stuff it was crazy.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    edited December 2010
    man ya dudes brung back memories...these kids now have it good with having all these shows but at the same time are missing out on having the quality we had growing up where we would get one show every few weeks we led to having great story lines and had us on our toes waiting to see what was gonna happen
  • genocide_cutter
    genocide_cutter Members Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Yeah the WWE has way too many PPV's now
  • dalyricalbandit
    edited December 2010
    Royal rumble
    wrestlemania
    summerslam
    survivor series

they should have kept it like that 4 ppv a year and if they wanted to throw one or two extra ppv a year king of the ring and a in your house
  • Anti_matter
    edited December 2010
    Royal rumble
    wrestlemania
    summerslam
    survivor series

they should have kept it like that 4 ppv a year and if they wanted to throw one or two extra ppv a year king of the ring and a in your house

WCW started that "extra ppv" ? ...So you know Vince had to follow suit
  • riddlerap
    riddlerap Members Posts: 17,132 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    even though i feel like TNA has so many wrestlers that they'd benefit from 2 shows, im kinda glad they only have one wrestling show. it makes it special every week, and i always look forward to it.
  • TheHitman
    TheHitman Members Posts: 28
    edited December 2010

WCW started that "extra ppv" ? ...So you know Vince had to follow suit

I think Vince actually started the added ppvs before wcw when they started the In Your House crapfest in the early/mid 90s just before the Monday Night Wars began.

I could be wrong tho.

I remember wcw doing the free clash of the champions ppv type show on tbs early on tho.

Btw yes ecw was the absolute ? . Wrestling NEEDS Paul Heyman back running the show somewhere.
  • BIGC129
    BIGC129 Members Posts: 635
    edited December 2010
    TheHitman wrote: »
    I think Vince actually started the added ppvs before wcw when they started the In Your House crapfest in the early/mid 90s just before the Monday Night Wars began.

I could be wrong tho.

I remember wcw doing the free clash of the champions ppv type show on tbs early on tho.

Btw yes ecw was the absolute the ? . Wrestling NEEDS Paul Heyman back running the show somewhere.

yeah i remember one of the greatest clash of the chamipons ? matchs was sting vs ric flair where they fought for like half hour or 60 minutes this was right about time sting was blowing up was a great match time ran out as sting had flair in the scorpion death lock....they use to do class of the champions alot in the 80ths and early 90ths but they kinda went away from that when nitro blew up....
  • G.R.I.P. Money $$$
    G.R.I.P. Money $$$ Members Posts: 18,939 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    and thats exactly why i loved ECW and RVD n/h so much..

i first started watchin wrestlin in 98 and i remember b4 ecw hit tnn, i would read bout him in the pwi books, then id see commercials of their ppv's on the tv guide channel wit ? like lance storm, super crazy, yoshihiro tajiri..i was like DDDDDAAAMMMNNNN!!! and dis was after the crushing blow that wrestling wasnt real(i was only 9 or 10) and i was transitioning to a "smark"...

then the first match on national tv was a re air of him vs jerry lynn, he became an instant goat in my eyes..

now wwe has a title match every other week, the ic and us title and tag titles mean NOTHING and ull be lucky to see a match thats actually GOOD once a month..
  • Anti_matter
    edited December 2010
    and thats exactly why i loved ECW and RVD n/h so much..

i first started watchin wrestlin in 98 and i remember b4 ecw hit tnn, i would read bout him in the pwi books, then id see commercials of their ppv's on the tv guide channel wit ? like lance storm, super crazy, yoshihiro tajiri..i was like DDDDDAAAMMMNNNN!!! and dis was after the crushing blow that wrestling wasnt real(i was only 9 or 10) and i was transitioning to a "smark"...

then the first match on national tv was a re air of him vs jerry lynn, he became an instant goat in my eyes..

now wwe has a title match every other week, the ic and us title and tag titles mean NOTHING and ull be lucky to see a match thats actually GOOD once a month..

Man, my dude PWI was GOAT, I used to collect them ? , I used to always make sure I got the "PWI 500" issues where they ranked the top 500 wrestlers.
  • Chillin&Postin
    edited December 2010
    Man, my dude PWI was GOAT, I used to collect them ? , I used to always make sure I got the "PWI 500" issues where they ranked the top 500 wrestlers.

forget PWI

WoW
    is the goat
    too bad they got WCW'd

im still mad at bill apter for folding

51fnHedpo7L._SL500_AA240_.jpg
  • Chillin&Postin
    edited December 2010
    jus for ? & giggles
    check out this pic of the dr of thugganomicsd when he was The Prototype

2ywhawp.jpg

i really thought dude was too generic to make it,,, i was wrong
  • TaylorGang™
    TaylorGang™ Members Posts: 88
    edited December 2010
    WCW started the whole explosion with PPV's.. then Vince just tried to keep up which is why there is ppv's every month now. and it has ruined wrestling.. each month a new fued.. it gets boring. and now there pushin ppl that dont even deserve to get pushed just becuz their on this whole youth trip... smh idk wut the future holds for the sports entertainment.
  • dalyricalbandit
    edited December 2010
    damn ? said pwi wow ? took it back i still might have a few of them laying in a book somewhere
  • Mally_G
    edited December 2010
    I remember seeing a PWI story on Taz and how he was from Tazmania and their way of survival for food was to suplex their foe head first onto a rock. No Lie.

Then I remember seeing in PWI Taz and Sabu in a TABLES MATCH against Public Enemy, where Taz/Sabu won the ECW tag belts. They were celebrating on top of a table that was posted up on the top rope. Again, I over looked ECW back then. But I do remember seeing Ron Simmons, Shane Douglas, Austin, Cactus Jack, and a bunch of other ex-WCW dudes in ECW via magazines, and thought these dudes simply fell off. Boy was I wrong. They were helping give birth to a new era and a new generation of professional wrestling.