Local Community Radio Act passes Senate (GREAT news)

Options
Swiffness!
Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2010 in The Social Lounge
Long story short, the FCC has traditionally kept such an iron grip on the radio airwaves that its impossible for anyone to start a new station on the FM dial without spending at least a million dollars.

Not any more.

Little noticed but extremely important to progressives, on Saturday afternoon Congress also passed the Local Community Radio Act.

This legislation opens up radio spectrum to hundreds, if not thousands, of local independent radio stations (also known as LPFM).

Its passing will bring new choices and voices on the radio dial nationwide, but is especially relevant to a broadcast area reaching 160 million people who lived in areas where these stations had previously been barred from local airwaves.

Anyone tracking the rise of radio personalities like Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh and Michael Savage understands the primary political significance of gaining access to spectrum.

With the opening of the airwaves to LPFM stations, progressives can gain a small but consequential spot on the radio dial. The challenge now is to organize local groups to gain access to licenses. Follow and support the Prometheus Radio Project to learn more.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/timothy-karr/the-little-bill-that-coul_b_798768.html

This is fan-? -tastic news. Huff Po played up the political talk angle but this is gonna open the door for a new breed of Hip-Hop radio stations that plays REAL hip-hop.

Comments

• KTULU IS BACK
    KTULU IS BACK Banned Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    If all these "real Hip Hop" heads who stay complaining about the radio don't take advantage of this and start their own stations, I will be disappointed.
  • shootemwon
    shootemwon Members Posts: 4,635 ✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    This is gonna mean a lot more ? -awful ignorant morons on the radio too, especially outside of big cities, but there will also be a lot more good and diverse stuff out there, which is definitely worthwhile. Another plus is that the bad stuff will be laughably bad.
  • KTULU IS BACK
    edited December 2010
    Options
    opie and anthony jocktobers will never be the same again
  • KTULU IS BACK
    edited December 2010
    Options
    you know what?

? it

who wants to start a pure hip hop radio station with a political bent with me?
  • Swiffness!
    edited December 2010
    Options
    If all these "real Hip Hop" heads who stay complaining about the radio don't take advantage of this and start their own stations, I will be disappointed.

Co-sign. Get yo ? together, backpackers.
  • shootemwon
    edited December 2010
    Options
    you know what?

? it

I'd say you're entertaining enough to host something, but if you wanna do political radio you can either appeal to racists or liberals. I don't see how you can appeal to both, so how is this gonna work?
  • Swiffness!
    edited December 2010
    Options
    you know what?

? it

I had no idea this bill even existed, I definitely wanna look into it. I got audio production skills, access to plenty of radio and audio gear, and my pops is a Senior Chief Broadcast Engineer who can tune a transmitter in his sleep.
  • Swiffness!
    edited December 2010
    Options
    shootemwon wrote: »
    I'd say you're entertaining enough to host something, but if you wanna do political radio you can either appeal to racists or liberals. I don't see how you can appeal to both, so how is this gonna work?

From his description it sounds like "Public Enemy/Dead Prez/KRS/Immortal Technique + Air-America-at-its-best".

It's really a cool idea for a format imho.
  • KTULU IS BACK
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I'd say you're entertaining enough to host something, but if you wanna do political radio you can either appeal to racists or liberals, so how is this gonna work?

my real life opinions on race are radically different from what i've posted here

i'd run the pro-blackest station on the west coast

i wouldn't stop calling out the NOI for their racism, of course, but that would be a minor issue compared to the discussions people need to hear about the prison system, distorted sentencing, the nonwhite working class, etc.

i'm interested in doing some serious ?
  • Swiffness!
    edited December 2010
    Options
    The National Association of Broadcasters voted against it lolololol

The NAB is basically a Republican lobby, but boy howdy do they throw one hell of a trade show every year in Vegas.

edit: these ? was demonstrating 3D WITHOUT GLASSES when I was there 2 years ago, crazy
  • Swiffness!
    edited December 2010
    Options

And I was about to add: "the most logical place to start would be a stalwart liberal state like California"
  • shootemwon
    edited December 2010
    Options
    my real life opinions on race are radically different from what i've posted here

i wouldn't stop calling out the NOI for their racism, of course, but that would be a minor issue compared to the discussions people need to hear about the prison system, distorted sentencing, the nonwhite working class, etc.

i'm interested in doing some serious ?

Maybe you should go for it. I could honestly imagine a very entertaining outcome if you were doing some type of call in program. Why the ? are any of us intelligent posters still even bothering dropping quality posts for our SL audience of 12 people?
  • shootemwon
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Ok, KTULU, I would gladly get on board with this thing, but I live on the East Coast and more importantly if this involved meeting you in person it might come off as ? , so how can I contribute?
  • KTULU IS BACK
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Here's the thing: They're only gonna give airwaves to non-profits, religious organizations, and public institutions.

So either we start a non-profit Hip Hop cultural organization, or we start a religion.

Now if you guys wanna get completely insane, we can claim (based on KRS-ONE's book "The Gospel of Hip Hop) that we are a religion.

But it would be more sensible to just start a nonprofit.

There is no reason we can't start a nationwide Hip Hop nonprofit that can give IC people all over the country access to bandwidth.

We'd be like terrorists, with cells all over America.

I'm dead serious about this.
  • KTULU IS BACK
    edited December 2010
    Options
    more importantly if this involved meeting you in person it might come off as ?

if we meetin im huggin you b

i hugs thugs

no escape from my brotherly embrace
  • Swiffness!
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Ok, KTULU, I would gladly get on board with this thing, but I live on the East Coast and more importantly if this involved meeting you in person it might come off as ? , so how can I contribute?

Well, considering he thought it up like, 17 minutes ago........I'd say that just networking and building support should be the first step.
  • shootemwon
    edited December 2010
    Options
    OK, I don't have satellite radio, so I really have no idea, has something like this been done before on XM?
  • KTULU IS BACK
    edited December 2010
    Options
    OK, I don't have satellite radio, so I really have no idea, has something like this been done before on XM?

xm/sirius is an incompetent corporation that seems to exist only to suck howard stern's ?

this new terrestrial radio venture, along with an internet presence, has the potential to change the ? game
  • Swiffness!
    edited December 2010
    Options
    xm/sirius is an incompetent corporation that seems to exist only to suck howard stern's ?

co-sign, it was supposed to be HBO for radio but that ? 's been a letdown. When's the last time a freestyle spit on Shade45 or HipHopNation even made the mixtape circuit? ? is irrelevant
    this new terrestrial radio venture, along with an internet presence, has the potential to change the ? game

SOMEBODY out there is gonna start with one of these stations, then start a 2nd.....then a 3rd.......then a 4th.......and wind up on some magazine covers by the time they reach double digits.
  • KTULU IS BACK
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    SOMEBODY out there is gonna start with one of these stations, then start a 2nd.....then a 3rd.......then a 4th.......and wind up on some magazine covers by the time they reach double digits.

That somebody is going to ? be us.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited December 2010
    Options
    this would actually be a better idea than what i view as the expected results: legions of local left-wing radio hosts speaking to no one