Do conspiracy theorists discredit the left or provide a much needed laugh?

Options
Jonas.dini
Jonas.dini Confirm Email Posts: 2,507 ✭✭
edited December 2010 in The Social Lounge
I enjoy and get a laugh out of conspiracy theorists, but sometimes I worry that so much of the left is off on wild goose chases that it becomes a distraction from important issues and discredits the whole movement by association. I'm progressive and when I hear liberals/progressives talking about 9/11 conspiracy theories I always think: "STOP ur making us all look bad."

So is this a big problem or am I worrying over nothing?

Comments

• VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Jonas.dini wrote: »
    I enjoy and get a laugh out of conspiracy theorists, but sometimes I worry that so much of the left is off on wild goose chases that it becomes a distraction from important issues and discredits the whole movement by association. I'm progressive and when I hear liberals/progressives talking about 9/11 conspiracy theories I always think: "STOP ur making us all look bad."

So is this a big problem or am I worrying over nothing?

That is the big problem, and there is nothing to worry about. Conspiracy theorists are already at a loss starting the theory in the first place. The 9/11 theory became so far fetched it became a joke and a very very sick one. They tried to rebound themselves though by retracting a lot of their former "theories" and stick to the "main ones". I used to be a 9/11 theorist, until I just said ? it, I'm looking at facts. Now I am no longer a 9/11 theorist, nor do I see a reason to be one.
  • ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited December 2010
    Options
    It's good for a laugh most of the time, but sometimes people can take it too far.
  • shootemwon
    shootemwon Members Posts: 4,635 ✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Why the left? Most conspiracy theorist are crazy right wingers. 9/11 is the only left-winger conspiracy, all the NWO ? is a traditionally right wing theory.
  • Jonas.dini
    Jonas.dini Confirm Email Posts: 2,507 ✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    shootemwon wrote: »
    Why the left? Most conspiracy theorist are crazy right wingers. 9/11 is the only left-winger conspiracy, all the NWO ? is a traditionally right wing theory.

We can talk about the right as well.

The American right wing establishment has been much more successful than the left in using these conspiracy theories to their advantage by coopting conspiracy theories from their camp without really c/sing them in a formal way.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited December 2010
    Options
    actually, i think it's pretty well-split between the two; a lot of the conspiracies can go both ways
  • shootemwon
    edited December 2010
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    actually, i think it's pretty well-split between the two; a lot of the conspiracies can go both ways

wrong, dickeater
  • ckfree
    ckfree Members Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    they say you're supposed to have 3 to 4 servings of vegetables per day. Who's this 'they''? No doubt its farmers; they grow vegetables. Must children suffer so 'they' can profit? Just say no to vegetables!

its time to end the exploitation of children by those sinister farmers!
  • smokelahoma
    smokelahoma Members Posts: 6,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    oh sure because the right wing doesnt have any conspiracy theorists. OBAMA IS A SECRET MUSLIM!!!! ? !!! Palin for President....
  • garv
    garv Confirm Email Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    The government going to Iraq for Oil was a conspiracy.

The government invading Afghanistan because of ? was a conspiracy.

Reagan flooding black neighbourhoods with drugs was a conspiracy.
  • shootemwon
    edited December 2010
    Options
    We can talk about the right as well.

The American right wing establishment has been much more successful than the left in using these conspiracy theories to their advantage by coopting conspiracy theories from their camp without really c/sing them in a formal way.

You're correct. The right gives soft-spoken nods to the birthers and uses rhetoric that outright suggests any liberal social or environmental program is a covert and malicious attempt to consolidate central power.
  • shootemwon
    edited December 2010
    Options

Ok, I feel bad about replying in such a ? way before. Here's what I really think: There are conspiracy nuts on both sides, but since the right is ideologically opposed to big government to begin with, they have the majority of people who are gonna think the government is up to some shady conspiracy ? .
  • John Prewett
    John Prewett Members Posts: 755
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I enjoy and get a laugh out of conspiracy theorists, but sometimes I worry that so much of the left is off on wild goose chases that it becomes a distraction from important issues and discredits the whole movement by association. I'm progressive and when I hear liberals/progressives talking about 9/11 conspiracy theories I always think: "STOP ur making us all look bad." So is this a big problem or am I worrying over nothing?

Anyone denying the existence of "conspiracies" is on about the same level as someone

who watches a movie and thinks the actors are speaking extemporaneously.

Truth really is "stranger than fiction"
  • melanated khemist
    melanated khemist Members Posts: 608 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options

Anyone denying the existence of "conspiracies" is on about the same level as someone

who watches a movie and thinks the actors are speaking extemporaneously.

Truth really is "stranger than fiction"

co-sign

Plus they dont know the meaning of Conspire
  • janklow
    edited December 2010
    Options
    wrong, dickeater
    well, this just seems uncal-
    Ok, I feel bad about replying in such a ? way before.
    ...what is happening here
    Here's what I really think: There are conspiracy nuts on both sides, but since the right is ideologically opposed to big government to begin with, they have the majority of people who are gonna think the government is up to some shady conspiracy ? .
    anyway, i see the argument, but there's a lot of left-wing people who see the government as an evil fascist corporation that's up to some shady conspiracy ?

now i think the right-wing guys milk it more, so maybe there's ultimately an advantage in numbers on their side; i guess it just seems to me (we're getting somewhat anecdotal here) that i hear just as many left-wing-type dudes talking about things the government is conspiring to do. JFK's assassination is a conspiracy to more left-wing than right-wing guys, i imagine.
  • shootemwon
    edited December 2010
    Options
    anyway, i see the argument, but there's a lot of left-wing people who see the government as an evil fascist corporation that's up to some shady conspiracy ?

now i think the right-wing guys milk it more, so maybe there's ultimately an advantage in numbers on their side; i guess it just seems to me (we're getting somewhat anecdotal here) that i hear just as many left-wing-type dudes talking about things the government is conspiring to do. JFK's assassination is a conspiracy to more left-wing than right-wing guys, i imagine.

Well, the fact is that in recent years it doesn't require any kind of secret conspiracy theory to conclude that government officials are doing the bidding of corporate America. The connection has been overt and legal.

As for the JFK conspiracy, you may be right, because that's honestly before my time and something that most people have just stopped talking about. The conspiracy theories that are popular nowdays seem to be (on the left) 9/11, and (on the right) the New World Order, Obama's birth certificate, the secret evil plans of the federal reserve, the secret evil plans of Obamacare, the secret evil plans of global warming activists, the secret evil plans George Soros, and the secret evil plans of the mainstream (liberal)l media.

While I don't deny that there are plenty of crazies on the left, "BUSH IS A ? !!!! ? BUSH!!!!" is not a conspiracy theory, so you can see how I perceive the lack of balance.
  • janklow
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Well, the fact is that in recent years it doesn't require any kind of secret conspiracy theory to conclude that government officials are doing the bidding of corporate America. The connection has been overt and legal.
    granted, but you can view it that way no matter what side of the political spectrum you're on, and you can still view it more conspiratorially than someone else.
    As for the JFK conspiracy, you may be right, because that's honestly before my time and something that most people have just stopped talking about.
    the fast way to tell it's a left-wing conspiracy factory is to note that Oliver Stone is into that stuff. but yeah, true, it's not a current topic. however, i mention it because it's a circumstance where the right-winger is more likely to trust the government view and the left-winger less likely to.
    The conspiracy theories that are popular nowdays seem to be (on the left) 9/11, and (on the right) the New World Order, Obama's birth certificate, the secret evil plans of the federal reserve, the secret evil plans of Obamacare, the secret evil plans of global warming activists, the secret evil plans George Soros, and the secret evil plans of the mainstream (liberal)l media. While I don't deny that there are plenty of crazies on the left, "BUSH IS A ? !!!! ? BUSH!!!!" is not a conspiracy theory, so you can see how I perceive the lack of balance.
    but a lot of this has to do with the fact that Obama is in office and Bush is not. when Bush WAS, it was all "9/11 conspiracy" and "Iraq conspiracy" and "Afghanistan conspiracy" and one dude trying to make a death list for Bush like they used to for Clinton. you're ALWAYS going to have the conspiracies aimed at the president (and his party) and since Obama's the president... and he's a Democrat...
  • quiet1
    quiet1 Members Posts: 146
    edited December 2010
    Options
    9/11 was a conspiracy.
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    quiet1 wrote: »
    9/11 was a conspiracy.

Yes it was. By them dumb ? and their religion thinking this was all a "sacrifice" to their ? .