[UPDATED] CunninLynguists - Oneirology (OUT NOW, Stream inside/buy $9)

Options
RuffDraft
RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2011 in The Essence
cl_oneirology_cover.jpg
Artwork by Loish

Tracklist:

01. Predormitum (Prologue)
02. Darkness (Dream On)
03. Phantasmata
04. Hard As They Come (Act I)
05. Murder (Act II)
06. My Habit (I Haven’t Changed)
07. Get Ignorant
08. Shattered Dreams
09. Stars Shine Brightest (In The Darkest Of Night)
10. So As Not To Wake You
11. Enemies With Benefits
12. Looking Back
13. Dreams
14. Hypnopomp (Epilogue)
15. Embers

Finally! I wasn't the greatest fan of them showing off QN5 music and not showcasing and continuing the legacy of the CunninLynguists... Sloppy Seconds wasn't what I needed, I needed firsts!

Anyways, new album dropping in March, think everyone will be excited about this one, KNO dropped a nice album this year (as we all know), so this should be an exciting and solid release considering his production on Death Is Certain was quality certified.

What do you think?
Anticipating this?
Do you think KNO will feature more as a lead vocalist?
A fan of the artwork?

CANNOT WAIT, personally.

---

First single courtesy of hlf:

stars_shine_blog_image.jpg

Album features:
QN5.com wrote:
Oneirology, the trio’s 5th official studio album and first in 3 years, is due out March 22nd via RBC Records and Bad Taste Records. It features Big K.R.I.T., Freddie Gibbs, Tonedeff, Anna Wise of Sonnymoon and more.

Enjoy!

Tonedeff! Can't wait to hear that one...

*EDIT* OUT NOW! Available at the CunninLynguists' BandCamp to stream or download for $9.

Comments

• ty the great
    ty the great Members Posts: 162
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Awesome. Can't wait. Big fan.
  • traestar
    traestar Members Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Whoa man....ill cover!!
  • just.might.b.ok
    just.might.b.ok Members Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
  • ninjasenses
    ninjasenses Members Posts: 157
    edited December 2010
    Options
    DOPE album art...I cannot wait for this and super pumped that kno's gonna get some more facetime. :tu
  • RuffDraft
    edited December 2010
    Options
    DOPE album art...I cannot wait for this and super pumped that kno's gonna get some more facetime. :tu

You've been programming too much for mobile devices coming out with iPhone lingo haha

Anyways, yes I'm amped about this project with Kno featuring more, as Deacon stepped out and produced his own album (NWL), I think, possibly unfortunately, we may see a switch up behind who's on the boards.

I just hope it doesn't make for a discrepancy with the album not flowing as well as it does when Kno produces on every track. I may be wrong about this one, but I think as part of their growth, it may end up more of a 50/50 production... but that's just from first thoughts... I'm sure more info will leak in the new year.

Their last two albums have been nothing short of unbelievable quality though, can't wait!!!
  • elijahcraig
    elijahcraig Members Posts: 24
    edited December 2010
    Options
    RuffDraft wrote: »
    I just hope it doesn't make for a discrepancy with the album not flowing as well as it does when Kno produces on every track. I may be wrong about this one, but I think as part of their growth, it may end up more of a 50/50 production...

First off. Ill artwork! Secondly, I've heard deacon say on twitter that him producing for CunninLynguists would be like Guru producing for Gangstarr. So I don't really anticipate too much Deacon production on CunninLynguists' albums.
  • RuffDraft
    edited December 2010
    Options
    First off. Ill artwork! Secondly, I've heard deacon say on twitter that him producing for CunninLynguists would be like Guru producing for Gangstarr. So I don't really anticipate too much Deacon production on CunninLynguists' albums.

First off. Welcome to The Essence, dope that you chose this sub-forum for your first post :tu

Secondly, how long ago was the Twitter post? If recent that's a big saviour for the album, IMO. I thought with him stepping out from Kno's production, it'd be a possible change in their outlook for future releases...
  • elijahcraig
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Thanks! The twitter post was a few months ago when NWL was first announced. I think it was in response to people asking if he would be producing on the upcoming CunninLynguists album. I do think they (Deacon & Kno) will begin producing projects together, just not CunninLynguists' albums.
  • RuffDraft
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Thanks! The twitter post was a few months ago when NWL was first announced. I think it was in response to people asking if he would be producing on the upcoming CunninLynguists album. I do think they (Deacon & Kno) will begin producing projects together, just not CunninLynguists' albums.

That's dope, I'm glad to hear it... think I need to get on Twitter more for information like that.

As for the NWL project, you checked it out? It's on my 'to check out list'.

To be honest, I think they should both be busier in the production business, Kno should have been producing for mainstream artists a long time ago, he's so superior on the boards, it's not even funny.
  • elijahcraig
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I agree. I think Kno's beats are so big and musical that they scare mainstream artists away! The NWL project is in my top 5 2010. You should check it right away at the CunninLynguists bandcamp page! cunninlynguists.bandcamp.com!
  • RuffDraft
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I agree. I think Kno's beats are so big and musical that they scare mainstream artists away! The NWL project is in my top 5 2010. You should check it right away at the CunninLynguists bandcamp page! cunninlynguists.bandcamp.com!

I've checked a few of them on there :tu I started listening to the album when it first came out (dope that they left it up there to stream), but then I thought I would buy the album before listening to it because of it's positive reviews, so just waiting on my money situation to improve, but yeah, might finish listening to it at their bandcamp page. I really liked their advertising campaign for it though.

Dope that it's in your top 5.

I saw ToneDef on his facebook page saying that if you don't have a QN5 release in your top 5 of this year then you're not hip hop lol
  • elijahcraig
    edited December 2010
    Options
    QN5 definetly had a solid year. I missed the NWL pre-order, but bandcamp FTW
  • RuffDraft
    edited December 2010
    Options
    QN5 definetly had a solid year. I missed the NWL pre-order, but bandcamp FTW

Yeah, I'm just waiting on Chico & The Man (as I have been since first listening to Porcelain from ToneDef), which now seems like forever ago.
  • ninjasenses
    ninjasenses Members Posts: 157
    edited December 2010
    Options
    You've been programming too much for mobile devices coming out with iPhone lingo haha

Anyways, yes I'm amped about this project with Kno featuring more, as Deacon stepped out and produced his own album (NWL), I think, possibly unfortunately, we may see a switch up behind who's on the boards.

I just hope it doesn't make for a discrepancy with the album not flowing as well as it does when Kno produces on every track. I may be wrong about this one, but I think as part of their growth, it may end up more of a 50/50 production... but that's just from first thoughts... I'm sure more info will leak in the new year.

Their last two albums have been nothing short of unbelievable quality though, can't wait!!!

i hate you...hahah.

Im sure the album will be a solid release regardless of the change in lineups, after kno's album, I dont see how he could miss. :tu
  • RuffDraft
    edited December 2010
    Options
    i hate you...hahah.

Im sure the album will be a solid release regardless of the change in lineups, after kno's album, I dont see how he could miss. :tu

hahaha you know that's true haha

Yeah, definitely, don't think the CunninLynguists know how to make bad music!! I can't wait for this, potential album of the year as always, they always seem to be in my top 5 come any year that they drop!
  • RuffDraft
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Tracklist:

01. Predormitum (Prologue)
    02. Darkness (Dream On)
    03. Phantasmata
    04. Hard As They Come (Act I)
    05. Murder (Act II)
    06. My Habit (I Haven’t Changed)
    07. Get Ignorant
    08. Shattered Dreams
    09. Stars Shine Brightest (In The Darkest Of Night)
    10. So As Not To Wake You
    11. Enemies With Benefits
    12. Looking Back
    13. Dreams
    14. Hypnopomp (Epilogue)
    15. Embers

---

Courtesy of Kno over at QN5 forums :tu

Really like the look of track names and looking forward to the concepts that they come up with related to dreams :tu
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Love these cats but I wish they were able to put out a quality single that the mainstream would like.

On a side note, I seen that Big KRIT will be a feature on this album.
  • RuffDraft
    edited January 2011
    Options
    hlf wrote: »
    Love these cats but I wish they were able to put out a quality single that the mainstream would like.

On a side note, I seen that Big KRIT will be a feature on this album.

That's interesting @ bolded... he'll sound good on it, no doubt, because he wouldn't make the album otherwise lol

@ single comment, I just don't think a lot of their sound fulfils mainstream ears, it's usually very 'dreamy' which is probably why this albums entitled "Oneirology" - the study of dreams. But I always thought 'Seasons' would have made for a great video and some success... otherwise, their best tracks are great because they sound original like The Gates with Tonedef.

You think they can't do it or do you think that they won't?
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    edited January 2011
    Options
    That's interesting @ bolded... he'll sound good on it, no doubt, because he wouldn't make the album otherwise lol

@ single comment, I just don't think a lot of their sound fulfils mainstream ears, it's usually very 'dreamy' which is probably why this albums entitled "Oneirology" - the study of dreams. But I always thought 'Seasons' would have made for a great video and some success... otherwise, their best tracks are great because they sound original like The Gates with Tonedef.

You think they can't do it or do you think that they won't?

I think they wont or they would have already tried.

lol @ the 'dreamy' sound, so true. Yea I agree 'Seasons" could have made a lil noise. I actually didnt even know about that song, album or group till after A Piece Of Strange smh
  • RuffDraft
    edited January 2011
    Options
    hlf wrote: »
    I think they wont or they would have already tried.

lol @ the 'dreamy' sound, so true. Yea I agree 'Seasons" could have made a lil noise. I actually didnt even know about that song, album or group till after A Piece Of Strange smh

Yeah, but Kno and Deacon's production company is well sought after, I think they do pretty well for themselves in the underground...

The 'dreamy' sound is definitely how I would define them lol. SMH @ me as well, that was when I first heard about them... until then it was all about LB, but it doesn't matter as long as you check an artists back catalogue. Too many artists to discover all at the same time... seriously think this album will be incredible though, I'm seeing them in late March with Pack FM, can't wait!
  • stevenjx712
    stevenjx712 Members Posts: 37
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I'm looking forward to it, the tracklist and cover look good
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Anyone know if there will be any features on the album?
  • RuffDraft
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Lou Cypher wrote: »
    Anyone know if there will be any features on the album?

Unsure, Big K.R.I.T is going to be on there, but I don't know who else... I'd expect a Tonedeff appearance though!!

All we know is that Kno is producing the entire project and that Blue Sky Black Death will be co-producing on some of the tracks (this is something I read on another forum, haven't seen it confirmed). Kno said he would be producing the entire album the last time he mentioned it via facebook.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Anxious to see it. should be another good one.
  • skeep
    skeep Members Posts: 298
    edited February 2011
    Options
    AWESOME art! Can't wait for this