[UPDATED] CunninLynguists - Oneirology (OUT NOW, Stream inside/buy $9)

Options

Comments

• RuffDraft
    RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Lou Cypher wrote: »
    Anxious to see it. should be another good one.

Anxious as in looking forward to it or you got some ill-feeling towards the release?

I think introspective rhymes and the dreams topic should make this their best album yet, IMO. Both Deacon and Kno are pushing the boundaries and this can only mean better things for the CunninLynguists, IMO.
    skeep wrote: »
    AWESOME art! Can't wait for this

I know it's an early call and I'm not one to over-hype, but I think it may end up as being my favourite album of the year, always a massive fan of theirs.

Artworks by a girl who's on facebook, all her artwork is dope, good move by them using her to do it.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    anxious as in looking forward to it. never been let down by a Cunninlynguist album
  • RuffDraft
    edited February 2011
    Options
    anxious as in looking forward to it. never been let down by a Cunninlynguist album

No doubt. It's good that these artists have had the longevity.
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Heres the first single.

http://cunninlynguists.bandcamp.com/album/stars-shine-brightest-in-the-darkest-of-night-f-rick-warren-single

stars_shine_blog_image.jpg

Song is good not great imo Im diggin the breakdown at the end.
  • RuffDraft
    edited February 2011
    Options
    hlf wrote: »
    Heres the first single.

Song is good not great imo Im diggin the breakdown at the end.

PROPS HLF!

Great drop, good solid release as well, I've listened to it a few times over just to make sure I have a real feel for it; I'm feeling KNO's production as always and the lyrics stay close enough to the concept of the album - which will hopefully delve deeper on the album cuts. I'm hoping for tracks similar to The Gates; that showed the level of depth and creativity that Deacon could push with his lyrics and wisdom... I can only hope.

Props! :tu

Youtube:

"Instead of wishin' on a star, grab a comet by the tail" damn!
  • ty the great
    ty the great Members Posts: 162
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Great single. This here is dream music, lol. Great feel to this track and Deacon is flowing and ripping this track. Great start to what I'm sure will be a great album.
  • RuffDraft
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Great single. This here is dream music, lol. Great feel to this track and Deacon is flowing and ripping this track. Great start to what I'm sure will be a great album.

Lol When they decided that it was going to be an album about dreams, you can imagine Kno just sitting there smiling thinking 'I'm going to produce a sound like no other (producer) can'.

Deacon's holding the torch lyrically for the group and you could say that he's carried the CL's on his back for the past decade, but then you'd be discounting Kno's soundscape that has dominated the groups albums for years (even though Deacon is talented too).

I know writers need their inspiration from somewhere, a place, a love connection, an epiphany; but all Deacon and Natti need is Kno in the studio. Dude's a genius and should have his own place in producer heaven.

Agreed though, you just can't see this album not being out there with the best of the year. Their tour has European's all over their facebook and I'm just waiting on the pre-order day.
  • just.might.b.ok
    just.might.b.ok Members Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    hope Kno spits more in this album, his album was hella dope.
  • RuffDraft
    edited February 2011
    Options

True, Deacon's still my favourite emcee of the group though... I'm happy with Kno's focus being on the beats - as it seems that he is doing a very good job indeed.
  • just.might.b.ok
    just.might.b.ok Members Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    one of the problems i had with APOS and ? Acres (even tho they're both dope albums) is that Natti and Deacon sound almost the same to me.
  • ty the great
    ty the great Members Posts: 162
    edited February 2011
    Options

Agreed. He isn't the strongest technical lyricist, but he great at crafting concepts and getting emotion across. He doesn't need to dominate the mic time but I would like to hear a couple more verses from Kno on this one.
  • RuffDraft
    edited February 2011
    Options
    one of the problems i had with APOS and ? Acres (even tho they're both dope albums) is that Natti and Deacon sound almost the same to me.

Yeah, they do sound similar, but that isn't necessarily a problem from my standpoint, some groups with conflicting emcee's are difficult to listen to as they stray from the sound of the album... might just be me though.
    Agreed. He isn't the strongest technical lyricist, but he great at crafting concepts and getting emotion across. He doesn't need to dominate the mic time but I would like to hear a couple more verses from Kno on this one.

Few verses from Kno will happen, most definitely following his album (I believe), but with their views on a CunninLynguists album having kno's beats only, it wouldn't surprise me if they have the same views on keeping the same emcees reigning over his beats.
  • Lou Cypher
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Yeah deacon and Natti do sound alot alike. I knoe Deacon raps a little faster and their flow is different
  • RuffDraft
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Official list of features:
    QN5.com wrote:

Oneirology, the trio’s 5th official studio album and first in 3 years, is due out March 22nd via RBC Records and Bad Taste Records. It features Big K.R.I.T., Freddie Gibbs, Tonedeff, Anna Wise of Sonnymoon and more.

Enjoy!

Nice list of features, just hoping that Tonedeff is on the best song on there... he's made for an album such as this (about dreams).
  • Lou Cypher
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Ugh! the anticipation just keeps building! props on the features
  • JackAssInTheBox
    JackAssInTheBox Members Posts: 1,230 ✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Never heard of this ? might check this ? out just to see whats the hype surrounding this being nh.
  • RuffDraft
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Ugh! the anticipation just keeps building! props on the features

No problem, less than a month to go!!

Waiting on pre-order news... gotta get the CD for Kno's production, don't want a drop in bit rate, this LP is going to be listened to for at least a month haha

Never heard of this ? might check this ? out just to see whats the hype surrounding this being nh.

Check out the Artist of the Month I did, they're made up of 3 members... great group.
  • HipHop90
    HipHop90 Members Posts: 31
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I'm genuinley excited for this, been listening to 'Will Rap for Food' all week love it!
  • I'm THAT guy...
    I'm THAT guy... Members Posts: 2,544
    edited February 2011
    Options
    do i lose being from kentucky and never hearing a cunninlynguist song?
  • P. Town
    P. Town Members Posts: 27,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options

You not alone bruh. I done asked around and I can't find nobody who done heard of them. ? , I didn't know who they was til I signed up on here.
  • RuffDraft
    edited February 2011
    Options
    HipHop90 wrote: »
    I'm genuinley excited for this, been listening to 'Will Rap for Food' all week love it!

Great album, did you check the Artist of the Month linked on this page? I'm doing another one this weekend, but it'll be a different artist... either way, it'll be worth checking too :tu

No! But you should check them out, they have an arguable classic of the 00's in A Piece of Strange... but they've still not made their perfect album yet, IMO. They had one or two album fillers on A Piece of Strange, but I have high hopes for Oneirology as I felt they were more solid on ? Acres but they didn't have the concept that they needed to make it on the level of A Piece of Strange.

Seriously though, check them out :tu
    ptowndonte wrote: »
    You not alone bruh. I done asked around and I can't find nobody who done heard of them. ? , I didn't know who they was til I signed up on here.

Yeah, depends on your age as well as they had a lot of Internet buzz (well, as much as an independent artist gets) in 2005, but they never broke into the mainstream, so they've never really built upon their earlier successes.

You a fan now though?
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    yea these dudes make some pretty dope music
  • P. Town
    P. Town Members Posts: 27,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    RuffDraft wrote: »
    Yeah, depends on your age as well as they had a lot of Internet buzz (well, as much as an independent artist gets) in 2005, but they never broke into the mainstream, so they've never really built upon their earlier successes.

You a fan now though?

I'll have to hear somemore, but so far I'm feelin 'em
  • RuffDraft
    edited February 2011
    Options
    ptowndonte wrote: »
    I'll have to hear somemore, but so far I'm feelin 'em

You just need to check the Artist of the Month thread I did, all their best songs are in there... but then you should go and listen to the corresponding albums to which tracks you enjoy:

Artist of the Month - CunninLynguists - A Decade of Genius
  • BoscoDeSoto
    BoscoDeSoto Members Posts: 146
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Kno is a ? beast