[UPDATED] CunninLynguists - Oneirology (OUT NOW, Stream inside/buy $9)

Options

Comments

• RuffDraft
    RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Kno is a ? beast

hahaha no doubt, you a fan? Looking forward to it?
  • RuffDraft
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Pre-order:

CunninLynguists - Oneirology

Now available.

Second leaked track from the album, featuring Freddie Gibbs - Hard as they Come Act. II:
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    edited March 2011
    Options
    ^^Just peeped that track and Im diggin it. Gonna try and check out 1 or 2 more tracks then leave the rest for release date.
  • RuffDraft
    edited March 2011
    Options
    hlf wrote: »
    ^^Just peeped that track and Im diggin it. Gonna try and check out 1 or 2 more tracks then leave the rest for release date.

I didn't check for it on purpose... I am leaving it all now until release. I pre-ordered it just, comes with loads of free stuff including a Kno instrumental CD of all the tracks on Oneirology that you don't get in stores!!!

Can't wait to hear it now... is Freddie Gibbs impressive on it? How does the sound differ from their single?
  • Stew
    edited March 2011
    Options
    RuffDraft wrote: »
    I didn't check for it on purpose... I am leaving it all now until release. I pre-ordered it just, comes with loads of free stuff including a Kno instrumental CD of all the tracks on Oneirology that you don't get in stores!!!

Can't wait to hear it now... is Freddie Gibbs impressive on it? How does the sound differ from their single?

Its a lil more upbeat sorta, sample on the hook is sweet, verses are dope. I like it more then "Stars Shine Brightest"
  • RuffDraft
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Its a lil more upbeat sorta, sample on the hook is sweet, verses are dope. I like it more then "Stars Shine Brightest"

That's great news, props!!! I can't wait for it to be delivered now... Big K.R.I.T. drops the same day as well?
  • Stew
    edited March 2011
    Options
    That's great news, props!!! I can't wait for it to be delivered now... Big K.R.I.T. drops the same day as well?

Yea I believe so. Itll be first time I cop 2 cds on the same trip in a loooong time lol
  • RuffDraft
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Yea I believe so. Itll be first time I cop 2 cds on the same trip in a loooong time lol

hahaha I know what you mean... used to do it all the time around a decade ago...

I'll support Big K.R.I.T as well though...20 days to go.
  • ty the great
    ty the great Members Posts: 162
    edited March 2011
    Options
    That new track is on some Charlie Sheen ? , a big bucket of winning! Nice to hear Kno spitting on this. Love the production i have heard thus far, its unique and new, got a nice ring to it. This album is going to be epic.
  • renagade410.
    renagade410. Members Posts: 647 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    i used to listen to them alot a piece of strange was my ? ....i havnt been up on them since ? acres tho...time to start again
  • RuffDraft
    edited March 2011
    Options
    That new track is on some Charlie Sheen ? , a big bucket of winning! Nice to hear Kno spitting on this. Love the production i have heard thus far, its unique and new, got a nice ring to it. This album is going to be epic.

I'm still refusing to check the new track, glad Kno's spitting on it too though, although Deacon will always be my favourite emcee....

Ahhh it's hard not to get too hyped for it... I'm trying to not become that way so I can listen to it with an open mind...
    i used to listen to them alot a piece of strange was my ? ....i havnt been up on them since ? acres tho...time to start again

They haven't dropped an album since ? Acres... it's been a three year drought...

They dropped two Strange Journey EP's, but they were promoting the artists at QN5 as much as anything else...

Kno's dropped a Solo and Deacon made an album with Sheisty Khrist called N.W.L last year...

Apart from that, they've not been together since ? Acres... which is why I think so much anticipation is building for this release... especially as it's based around dreams... where Kno should be at home completely on the boards...
  • wtruckc
    wtruckc Members Posts: 9
    edited March 2011
    Options
    i cant wait for this ? man!! mindstate and missing children are by far my favorite tracks from them so far.
  • RuffDraft
    edited March 2011
    Options
    wtruckc wrote: »
    i cant wait for this ? man!! mindstate and missing children are by far my favorite tracks from them so far.

Both great tracks, I can't wait for this either, the buzz is building, I hope they sell well for an Independent group, I've copped it on pre-order. Good price and loads of extras. Just waiting, waiting, waiting!
  • lazypakman
    lazypakman Members Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    its out,im about halfway through it.dont really know what to make of so far,kno is too damn musical at times for his own good.

im sure it'll grow

'enemies with benefits' is sick\second half of the album is much stronger than the first imo
  • RuffDraft
    edited March 2011
    Options
    lazypakman wrote: »
    its out,im about halfway through it.dont really know what to make of so far,kno is too damn musical at times for his own good.

im sure it'll grow

'enemies with benefits' is sick\second half of the album is much stronger than the first imo

Can't believe it's out already, going to listen later :tu

For anyone that wants to stream or buy $9 here's the link:

CunninLynguists - Oneirology

Just bought mine, that means I'm supporting them with a digital download, a physical copy and going seeing them in concert (and buying some clothing whilst I'm there) lol.
  • RuffDraft
    edited March 2011
    Options
    First impressions:

KNO has possibly produced his best work on the boards in terms of consistency, but never reaches the heights of APOS (The Gates/Remember Me/Where Will You Be? etc), Deacon and Natti are joined by Tonedeff who puts in a great performance on 'Enemies with Benefits' which sees facebook comments and the craziness of relationships being discussed from the first person perspective. Dreams is a very solid track, with Tunji and BJ. But honestly, the album really is at a peak throughout, similar to ? Acres but I think I prefer this release upon first listen to ? Acres... to be honest, it's a great, great album upon reflection... if you're into the same type of music I am from my mixes, at least. It's laid back with clever rhymes (that I can't wait to listen to over and over to decipher). Production and delivery on Embers to close out the album is epic. Love that track, CL are at it again, well worth the three year wait. I'm hitting replay and starting all over again, but there's definitely something here to play for the next 3 months or 3 years!!

*disclaimer: huge CunninLynguists fan*
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Love the album. downloaded today listened to it twice already
  • RuffDraft
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Lou Cypher wrote: »
    Love the album. downloaded today listened to it twice already

Same lol. Got to my third listen but then it was too late, great album, love Kno's production and the concept... everything I expected and possibly more...
  • lazypakman
    lazypakman Members Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    First impressions:

KNO has possibly produced his best work on the boards in terms of consistency, but never reaches the heights of APOS (The Gates/Remember Me/Where Will You Be? etc), Deacon and Natti are joined by Tonedeff who puts in a great performance on 'Enemies with Benefits' which sees facebook comments and the craziness of relationships being discussed from the first person perspective. Dreams is a very solid track, with Tunji and BJ. But honestly, the album really is at a peak throughout, similar to ? Acres but I think I prefer this release upon first listen to ? Acres... to be honest, it's a great, great album upon reflection... if you're into the same type of music I am from my mixes, at least. It's laid back with clever rhymes (that I can't wait to listen to over and over to decipher). Production and delivery on Embers to close out the album is epic. Love that track, CL are at it again, well worth the three year wait. I'm hitting replay and starting all over again, but there's definitely something here to play for the next 3 months or 3 years!!

*disclaimer: huge CunninLynguists fan*

i agree on first listen it stands out more than '? acres' did when i first listened to that,but that album grew on me more as time went on,a few beats on here (from the first listen i must stress) sound like,dare i say it,leftovers from kno's own album.

btw where are you going to see them live?i was going to amsterdam at the end of the month to watch them but my plans fell through,gutted as its probably going to be a once in a lifetime opportunity
  • traestar
    traestar Members Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Will check this out
  • ty the great
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Yeah, this is ? awesome. They capture the dream sound perfectly. Enemies With Benefits is immense. As is Embers. I too am feeling this more than ? Acres on the first few listens, it does tend to stand out more. Album of the Year. ? Winning.
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    Options
    gotta give a few more listens but this is a pretty dope ass cd
  • RuffDraft
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Yeah, this is ? awesome. They capture the dream sound perfectly. Enemies With Benefits is immense. As is Embers. I too am feeling this more than ? Acres on the first few listens, it does tend to stand out more. Album of the Year. ? Winning.

No doubt, I've been away listening to this CD on repeat...

Great album. Can't say much more... the sound is REALLY coherent which is a good and almost becomes a bad thing, some beats are so fluid in their transitions that you wonder "has the track changed?" which is all about Kno and his genius really. They do capture the dream sound with ease though and Enemies with Benefits and Embers are definitely two of the nicest tracks on there...

But the more I listen to it, the more I'm going to be critical of it... I'm going to give it another ten listens or so before I say where it stands in their catalogue... I go to see them in 9 days, so I'm looking forward to that now.
  • ty the great
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I really like the transitions on this album too, flows so well together. I don't want to jump the gun, but I think this is a legit 5/5 album, and I don't say that often (I might think there have been 10 5/5 albums in the last 10 years for instance). I really love the production and the lyricism compliments the beats and the theme well. Great song writing as a whole package. I really can't say enough nice things about this album right now. I like this more than ? Acres. APOS is a classic in my book and can't really be topped by much, but this comes close IMO.
  • RuffDraft
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I really like the transitions on this album too, flows so well together. I don't want to jump the gun, but I think this is a legit 5/5 album, and I don't say that often (I might think there have been 10 5/5 albums in the last 10 years for instance). I really love the production and the lyricism compliments the beats and the theme well. Great song writing as a whole package. I really can't say enough nice things about this album right now. I like this more than ? Acres. APOS is a classic in my book and can't really be topped by much, but this comes close IMO.

Yeah, the growth they've shown over the years is hard to comprehend. This album flows so fluidly as you say that it's difficult to understand when a song changes... genius on Kno's end.

The lyricism is great too, I still need to decipher the album before I jump the gun as you say as well, but it's definitely 4/5+

Album of the year thus far!!!