Blackberry or Android

spit_fiya
spit_fiya Members Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2011 in IllTek
Which do you prefer?...I'm getting a new phone in a few days and can't decide between the Blackberry Bold or the Android....all I really do on my phone is call text and occasionally browse the internet or score updates.

Comments

• T-Rel
    T-Rel Members Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    yeah same here and my contract is up in a month or so...*waits to responses*
  • GrizTitan
    GrizTitan Members Posts: 2,075 ✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Anroid is the application not an actual phone. If you have Sprint Evo is that phone. Verizon Droid X is a nice one too. Smartphones are cool but most have touch screens. The phone with the combination would be the best because you have best of both worlds.
  • jonlakadeadmic
    jonlakadeadmic Members Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    having the same problem deciding which i want...im leaning towards a blackberry
  • jonlakadeadmic
    jonlakadeadmic Members Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Kay. wrote: »
    I am never going back to a touch screen.
    After a while of serious use it starts to lag. Growl

me either, dont need that stress in my life lol
  • T-Rel
    T-Rel Members Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    i was looking at the Evo myself
  • kevmic
    kevmic Members Posts: 1,888 ✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Get the Android Pro from Verizon. Android OS but the phone is designed to look like a Blackberry. Dope phone actually played around with it last time I was in the Verizon store.
  • Nthngis4vr
    Nthngis4vr Members Posts: 2,171 ✭✭
    edited December 2010
    I <3 the touch screen...my phone has a physical keyboard too. android FTW
  • spit_fiya
    edited December 2010
    GrizTitan wrote: »
    Anroid is the application not an actual phone. If you have Sprint Evo is that phone. Verizon Droid X is a nice one too. Smartphones are cool but most have touch screens. The phone with the combination would be the best because you have best of both worlds.

I appreciate the schooling...my service provider offers the htc android phones, and few LG androids
  • spit_fiya
    edited December 2010
    Is it true that battery life is ass on the androids?
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited December 2010
    spit_fiya wrote: »
    Which do you prefer?...I'm getting a new phone in a few days and can't decide between the Blackberry Bold or the Android....all I really do on my phone is call text and occasionally browse the internet or score updates.

then you don't need either one of those...i have a blackberry and outside of bbm, facebook, and the internet the rest of those apps never have been touched...
  • blackrain
    edited December 2010

nah...i know they also got some ? where you can use google voice to make calls to avoid using up your regular minutes...my uncle does that ? all the time...
  • kevmic
    kevmic Members Posts: 1,888 ✭✭
    edited December 2010

As long as you close out of all of the apps you're running battery life is fine. I take my phone off my charger every morning around 5:30 before I leave for work, and by around 9 or 10 that night it's ready to die on me. That's including me on facebook and everything else I do.
  • GrizTitan
    GrizTitan Members Posts: 2,075 ✭✭
    edited December 2010
    I appreciate the schooling...my service provider offers the htc android phones, and few LG androids
    HTC are bette. LG phones are suspect. Never had an Iphone but I was told the EVO crushes it plus it not with AT&T and you can get it insured. Those AT&T cats have the worse service overall.
  • spit_fiya
    edited December 2010
    blackrain wrote: »
    then you don't need either one of those...i have a blackberry and outside of bbm, facebook, and the internet the rest of those apps never have been touched...

c'mon fam...i'm 21 not 40...I still need a phone that looks bawla
  • Nthngis4vr
    Nthngis4vr Members Posts: 2,171 ✭✭
    edited December 2010
    kevmic wrote: »
    As long as you close out of all of the apps you're running battery life is fine. I take my phone off my charger every morning around 5:30 before I leave for work, and by around 9 or 10 that night it's ready to die on me. That's including me on facebook and everything else I do.

I charge my phone once every other day and I'm on the internet a lot.
  • Mr. AJ
    Mr. AJ Members Posts: 1,706 ✭✭
    edited December 2010
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    JUST swiched from BB to Evo

1) Digital touch screen takes getting used to. You WONT be able to fire off texts like with a physical key board

2)Keep in mind, you wan to get a phone and not look around and its antiquated 3 yrs later. BB main advantage was the BBM, which i loved, but who u gon bbm?

3)Talk to text actually works if u not usin slang

4) Virtual VMail! No more holding 1, listening to that long ? prompt...with Evo, you get a VM, pull it up off the screen and it plays...u can delete it right there.

In conclusion, i will say the slowing down in texting is a factor, but that is literally the only adv BB over EVO. The BB Bold gives you the touch screen AND keyboard, but its 2010, i dont want a slide out phone
  • blackrain
    edited December 2010
    c'mon fam...i'm 21 not 40...I still need a phone that looks bawla

you can get a nice phone that's not a bb or evo bruh

1) Digital touch screen takes getting used to. You WONT be able to fire off texts like with a physical key board

2)Keep in mind, you wan to get a phone and not look around and its antiquated 3 yrs later. BB main advantage was the BBM, which i loved, but who u gon bbm?

4) Virtual VMail! No more holding 1, listening to that long ? prompt...with Evo, you get a VM, pull it up off the screen and it plays...u can delete it right there.

In conclusion, i will say the slowing down in texting is a factor, but that is literally the only adv BB over EVO. The BB Bold gives you the touch screen AND keyboard, but its 2010, i dont want a slide out phone

bbm is nothing mroe than overrated texting to be real....some people act like if you have a bb you HAVE to give them your bbm pin so they can send you messages...like you can't send the same ? messages through normal texting
  • spit_fiya
    edited December 2010
    s2jepeka wrote: »

Nah fam, this is the bold blackberry-bold-9650.jpg
  • blackrain
    edited December 2010
    GrizTitan wrote: »
    HTC are bette. LG phones are suspect. Never had an Iphone but I was told the EVO crushes it plus it not with AT&T and you can get it insured. Those AT&T cats have the worse service overall.

eventually they ? up...everybody damn near I know with an LG phone has either replaced it or simply gotten a new one within like a year
    ...... Members Posts: 131
    edited December 2010
    Nah fam, this is the bold blackberry-bold-9650.jpg

Thats the bold 2, its pretty much a curve
    ...... Members Posts: 131
    edited December 2010
    HTC evo is the best phone out right now, second is droid 1 on verizon
  • mr.getwitcha
    mr.getwitcha Members Posts: 2,459 ✭✭
    edited December 2010
    s2jepeka wrote: »

With Swype, you can text faster than on a physical keyboard.

HTC Evo + Android 2.2/with the new update that includes Swype = Greatest Phone ever.

Oh and if you miss BBM so much their is KIK..its the exact same thing except it can be used for all networks.

Getwitcha
  • raw-material_ahh
    raw-material_ahh Members Posts: 555
    edited December 2010
    Android easy. You'll need a Gmail account if you want to use your Android phone but you'll notice Gmail is kind of cool after awhile and won't mind having a regular e-mail and a Gmail account. And if you already have a Gmail, then it's that much easier. The major drawback of choosing Android over BB, is you'll have to give up BBM but Android has Google Talk. App World sucks on BBs so you'll enjoy the App Market on Android. The cool thing about Android is if you pay for an app and don't like it, you can get a refund within 24 hours.
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    K... Time for a phone upgrade according to Sprint. I currently have the LG Lotus, which works quite well for what I need it to do (multiple POP email accounts, web browsing via Opera Mini, occasional mp3 playback, camera when my real camera's battery dies, video playback on the go), but I'm thinking of looking at either an Android based phone or a BB. The two I've narrowed it down to are the Blackberry Style and the Samsung Transform.

The reasons for these two in particular come down to a couple of things: First, I'm not spending more than $50 for an upgrade. Second, I refuse to use a "smart phone" without a hardware keyboard. Granted, the Blackberry Curve 3G IS available for the same price, but... Ionno...

Anyways... I don't give two ? about apps, so whether either one has a better app store is meaningless. I like the form factor of the BB Style as it's the same as my trusty Lotus; a flip phone. I know y'all clowned me for it saying that flip phones are outdated, blah blah blah, but the "candybar" style of most phones on the market now is even more ancient. At the same time, the slab form factor of the majority of these new touchscreen joints is rooted in the touchscreen PocketPC's like the Dell Axim or Compaq iPaq and and old Palm devices. "Sliders" have been around in one form or another since the Audiovox/UTStarcom PPC-6600 so even that's old-tech. Nothing is new, so I don't mind a flip phone as long as it does what I want it to do. The Transform has a sliding keyboard, but it's physically larger than the Style and doesn't fit in my pocket as easily. The Style has a better camera, but the Transform has a second, front-facing camera for video calls.

This leaves me to the OS. I haven't really had much time to ? around with the BB OS, but I DO have the Android emulator loaded on my PC and my laptop for development purposes and I've played with it there. So far it's not bad, but I'd like to hear how it compares to BB's OS if any of y'all have had both.