[Link Inside] The Essence Playlist of the Year 2010

Options
RuffDraft
RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2011 in The Essence
TheEssencePlaylistoftheYear2010-1.jpg
Album artwork is taken from Flying Lotus: Cosmogramma

Overview

After a fantastic year for independent and underground hip hop that included releases from many such artists as Kendrick Lamar, Eligh, The Roots, Kno, Deacon the Villain and Shiesty Christ, Eternia and Moss, Black Milk, Pigeon John, Slum Village, J Dilla, Madlib, Roc Marciano, 7L and Estoric, Diabolic, Funky DL, Panacea, Celph Titled and Buckwild, Curren$y, Bun B, Rah Digga, Reflection Eternal, Atmosphere, The Kid Daytona, Sadistik, Blame One, The Foreign Exchange, Sellassie, Joell Ortiz, Skyzoo, Fashawn's mixtapes as well as k-os', Yu and Freddie Gibbs (among many others I'm sure), we in The Essence have populated our favourite tracks of the year for your enjoyment...

The tracklist is as follows and should not be taken as a definitive list of independent hip hop for 2010, it's a shame that some acts on the above list (all deserved of a spot on the playlist) were unable to make it due to not making it into a posters top 3 tracks of the year.

That said, without further delay, here is the playlist!!! See the download link below and finally, one last big thank you to all the contributors, without you, this would not be possible!

Tracklist

01 The New Day - Kno
02 Whirlwind - Eligh
03 I Wish I Was Dead - Kno featuring Tonedeff
04 Shine - Eligh featuring K-Flay and The Grouch
05 Bridge - Jean Grae
06 The New Age Quarter Intro - Funky DL
07 Scratchin' My Head - Funky DL
08 12 Shots - Diabolic
09 Deadly Medley - Black Milk featuring Royce Da 5'9" and Elzhi
10 Goodbye - Eternia and Moss
11 Attitudes 2012 - Ras Kass featuring Royce Da 5'9"
12 Zoo - 7L & Estoric
13 Whateva Whateva - Roc Marciano
14 Blam - N.O.R.E. featuring Imam T.H.U.G.
15 Godzilla - Army of the Pharaohs featuring Celph Titled, Apathy, Planetary, King Magnetic, Jus Allah & Vinnie Paz
16 Slang Like This - P Money & Sukh Knight
17 Learn - The Kid Daytona
18 Excuse Me - Pigeon John
19 Summertime Running - Mos Def (from Mos Dub, produced by Max Tannone)
20 See That Boy Fly - J Dilla/Jay Dee
21 Don't Fight the Feeling/Daylight - Slum Village

The Essence Playlist of the Year 2010

Remember to come back and discuss the thread :tu Who did you discover? What track do you think is the best? Most surprising? Etc.

Comments

• traestar
    traestar Members Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    That lineup is really really solid man!!!

...downloading now, but WOW this is a really good lineup with nice cover included!!
  • RuffDraft
    edited December 2010
    Options
    traestar wrote: »
    That lineup is really really solid man!!!

...downloading now, but WOW this is a really good lineup with nice cover included!!

No doubt, the mix is really nice and flows surprisingly well for the first half, I think. The second half was harder to compile due to the more ? range of tracks. Definitely a must download though!!!
  • satyrone
    satyrone Members Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Pon de DL!!! track list looks HUGE!!!
  • RuffDraft
    edited December 2010
    Options
    satyrone wrote: »
    Pon de DL!!! track list looks HUGE!!!

We've done well!! Let us know what you think :tu

Merry Christmas to all...
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Wonderful mix. I like how it ends with the Slum Village communal chant song.

I liked Marciano, The Kid Daytona and props on whoever added a little UK Grime to tha mix (P Money).

Xmas everyone! And wishing all of us a better new year for music.
  • ninjasenses
    ninjasenses Members Posts: 157
    edited December 2010
    Options
    cant wait to give this a listen...thanks to everyone who contributed!!! merry christmas!!
  • satyrone
    edited December 2010
    Options
    rip.dilla wrote: »

I liked Marciano, The Kid Daytona and props on whoever added a little UK Grime to tha mix (P Money).

those where my joints that iwanted to add!!

Listening right ? is ill so far st8 fya!!
  • RuffDraft
    edited December 2010
    Options

Slum Village was thanks to you Dilla :tu

Yeah, The Kid Daytona is nice, but my favourite standout that wasn't on my radar was the Funky DL, which I think was yours.
    cant wait to give this a listen...thanks to everyone who contributed!!! merry christmas!!

Merry Christmas!
    those where my joints that iwanted to add!!

Listening right ? is ill so far st8 fya!!

haha glad you're enjoying it!!

Merry Christmas to all posters, thanks for keeping The Essence as music loving as possible :tu We have a really good bunch of strong and knowledgeable posters! :tu
  • RuffDraft
    edited December 2010
    Options
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    ^^^
    funky+dl+-+4th+quarter.jpg

Its all in this album. Dude is a dope ass producer/MC.
  • RuffDraft
    edited December 2010
    Options
    ^^^
    funky+dl+-+4th+quarter.jpg

Its all in this album. Dude is a dope ass producer/MC.

Props, I gotta get it.
  • satyrone
    edited December 2010
    Options
    yea i copped that funky Dl album last night on itunes. do is dope!!!
  • ty the great
    ty the great Members Posts: 162
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Solid looking tape with some new ? for me to check out. Props.
  • RuffDraft
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Solid looking tape with some new ? for me to check out. Props.

No problem ty :tu Enjoy the playlist and let us know what your thoughts are :tu
  • SHAYDEEEE
    SHAYDEEEE Members Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    awww man nothin from vinnie paz album? only fail about the playlist imo
  • RuffDraft
    edited December 2010
    Options
    SHAYDEEEE wrote: »
    awww man nothin from vinnie paz album? only fail about the playlist imo

You failed to upload here you mean lol That should have been one of your pics for the playlist :tu

The playlist was created by all who post at The Essence, we all uploaded our favourite three tracks of the year and this playlist is what resulted :tu
  • RuffDraft
    edited December 2010
    Options
  • traestar
    edited December 2010
    Options
    RuffDraft wrote: »
    You failed to upload here you mean lol That should have been one of your pics for the playlist :tu

The playlist was created by all who post at The Essence, we all uploaded our favourite three tracks of the year and this playlist is what resulted :tu

Thats another on my album list that I forgot to include, Vinnie Paz ruled the first half of the year!!
  • RuffDraft
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Thats another on my album list that I forgot to include, Vinnie Paz ruled the first half of the year!!

I remember this too, but I've never got into Vinnie like that. *ducks things being thrown at him*
  • traestar
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I remember this too, but I've never got into Vinnie like that. *ducks things being thrown at him*

nah its cool! A friend of mines who was who also got into alittle Underground Hip Hop was into Vinnie Paz and Jedi Mind Tricks, and I've always listened to his music
    but recently I've been really listening! One of the rawest, grimiest voices in Hip Hop!
  • RuffDraft
    edited December 2010
    Options
    nah its cool! A friend of mines who was who also got into alittle Underground Hip Hop was into Vinnie Paz and Jedi Mind Tricks, and I've always listened to his music
    but recently I've been really listening! One of the rawest, grimiest voices in Hip Hop!

Yeah, I totally get what people like about him, but his voice grates on me. I'll never be able to become a fan of his and that's unfortunate considering his acclaimed catalogue.
  • satyrone
    edited December 2010
    Options
    the album i slept on was that AOTP album. i listened to it but did get a chance to pick it up and i usaly get anything thats JMT & AOTP. hmmmmmmmmm ill proly make use of this time off from work and cop that today.
  • RuffDraft
    edited December 2010
    Options
    the album i slept on was that AOTP album. i listened to it but did get a chance to pick it up and i usaly get anything thats JMT & AOTP. hmmmmmmmmm ill proly make use of this time off from work and cop that today.

Enjoy :tu Check out that Son of Ran that I posted though, you might enjoy hearing that more :tu
  • satyrone
    edited December 2010
    Options
    word ill mos def check that out!!
  • traestar
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Yeah, I totally get what people like about him, but his voice grates on me. I'll never be able to become a fan of his and that's unfortunate considering his acclaimed catalogue.

It also makes sense of his camps Jedi Mind Tricks and Army of the Pharoahs of how I hear alot from them. Its because most of them are from the Philly area, especially JMT.