Young Man Found Hanged In Mississippi

2»

Comments

• Chike
    Chike Members Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    heyslick wrote: »
    shootemwon

So when white people see all kinds of progress made within America and the President of United States is black. Those actions don't speak louder than any words could? Do you ever think that some white people are getting a little tired of hearing how bad they are? and hearing some who constantly dwell in the past over and over and over again and again.....did you ever stop and think....just maybe that has gotten old. Of course the typical come back is history might repeat itself.....? ! history isn't about to repeat itself.....get the ? up and start living in the here and now.

Oh poor white people, they got it bad. If only they could move up in their world and live in the projects and ghettos and get rounded up like cattle by the police... they would have it made like the black epople who complain about nothing. =\ I feel so bad for white people now. I'm sorry, I'll let you guys live off the inherited wealth gained by your ancestors who used the free labor of slaves to get the incredible foothold monopoly on wealth in the world. Our bad.
  • major pain
    major pain Members Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    shootemwon wrote: »
    You're always complaining that people make assumptions about you, but you're no better.

This is pretty much what he does.
  • anthony7q
    anthony7q Members Posts: 782
    edited December 2010
    Oh please spare me from the nonsense of dwelling in the past. How can anyone expect further progress if you don't even acknowledge that said products of progress exist. So I guess you think every white person has never had to struggle,and of course Black people have to work twice as hard to get what they have as well. --- NO black person has ever benefited from what their ancestors did so they could have the better life they have now....& no black person in spite of it all could still find their peace of the American dream.? So those Black people who work with the system and follow the law of the land are Uncle toms.....? So seriously how do they somehow make it and others don't? FYI poor white folks used to live in the projects just like black people do today. So Chike it sure seems obvious you wanna turn the world upside down and pour out all the white people? and give it to you and yours,unconditionally right?

tell that to the Jews. They always remind us of the alledge holocaust.
  • major pain
    edited December 2010
    Yeah when got everybody and everything but the kitchen sink picin' apart your every word, how would you respond?

I said it above

"It sure seems obvious some wanna turn the world upside down and pour out all the white people"?

Can you say New World Order aka transform America. huh?

Spin it how you want. You make assumptions and throw people into groups all the time. Then want to complain when someone does it to you.
  • major pain
    edited December 2010
    Why should I need to spin anything when the biggest and baddest spin zone type pundits practically track my every topic, then twisting and turnin it just short of militating it with staples Who in the ? do you think your fooling?

Then stop complaining when people do the same thing you are guilty of.
  • Chike
    edited December 2010
    Oh please spare me from the nonsense of dwelling in the past. How can anyone expect further progress if you don't even acknowledge that said products of progress exist. So I guess you think every white person has never had to struggle,and of course Black people have to work twice as hard to get what they have as well. --- NO black person has ever benefited from what their ancestors did so they could have the better life they have now....& no black person in spite of it all could still find their peace of the American dream.? So those Black people who work with the system and follow the law of the land are Uncle toms.....? So seriously how do they somehow make it and others don't? FYI poor white folks used to live in the projects just like black people do today. So Chike it sure seems obvious you wanna turn the world upside down and pour out all the white people? and give it to you and yours,unconditionally right?

You're a bafoon. You're always talking about the past... I think it's YOU who can't get over the past and can't see the obstacles black folk face today.... like paying rent and raising kids in the ghetto. Black men/fathers locked up in prison so the children have no father figure in the house holds.... You're the type of racist white guy that thinks black people are lazy whiners that would all be able to get out of the ghetto is they'd just get a job. You're hilarious and I don't take klansmen seriously.
  • DillaDeaf
    DillaDeaf Members Posts: 4,802 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    I just talked with the kinfolks and friends who still live in that area...black folks really think it's a hanging...alot of funny ? been going on lately in that area...and I can't blame them, before i move from that area this last May, ? was getting out of hand alto in that area...white folks were getting more bold and ? lately.....
  • DillaDeaf
    edited December 2010
    So the truth doesn't really matter then.

You have to really live in this area...I lived here for almost 20+ years (I move here from Detroit when I was 7, took trips back and forth) ... to understand the way people act here...there are real "ghosts" and drama behind this ? , "north Greenwood" is right next door to Sunflower County..and Sunflower county was the home of the White Citizen Council...back then, besides near Meridian (in Philadelphia, MS -- home of "Mississippi Burning) Sunflower and Greenwood was the worst place you could be caught at , and still is because the state pen -- Parchman is not that far away in Sunflower County ...Medgar Evers's killer lived in Greenwood, and the children and grandchildren of the Klansmen and WCC feel a false sense of entitlement because they pappys or whatever ran the place back then...there's alot of simmering hate and racial tension that hasn't blown up in almost 50+ years now....but Obama winning the election and the Tea Party recent surge was the tippng point ...things are coming to a head fast...even Gov. Haley Barbour just did some ? , real bold racist remarks on the radio...and I don't think the media or even many of the black media caught hold of what he said.....there's alot more going on here than people think.
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Not declaring it a homicide likely means there was no evidence of defensive wounds or other injury that occurred prior to the death by hanging.

If they found no such injuries, it would be purely-speculative to call it a homicide.

Makes sense.
  • anthony7q
    anthony7q Members Posts: 782
    edited December 2010
    You have to really live in this area...I lived here for almost 20+ years (I move here from Detroit when I was 7, took trips back and forth) ... to understand the way people act here...there are real "ghosts" and drama behind this ? , "north Greenwood" is right next door to Sunflower County..and Sunflower county was the home of the White Citizen Council...back then, besides near Meridian (in Philadelphia, MS -- home of "Mississippi Burning) Sunflower and Greenwood was the worst place you could be caught at , and still is because the state pen -- Parchman is not that far away in Sunflower County ...Medgar Evers's killer lived in Greenwood, and the children and grandchildren of the Klansmen and WCC feel a false sense of entitlement because they pappys or whatever ran the place back then...there's alot of simmering hate and racial tension that hasn't blown up in almost 50+ years now....but Obama winning the election and the Tea Party recent surge was the tippng point ...things are coming to a head fast...even Gov. Haley Barbour just did some ? , real bold racist remarks on the radio...and I don't think the media or even many of the black media caught hold of what he said.....there's alot more going on here than people think.

What did barbour say?

If this death isn't about race then why was this thread moved to the R&R?
  • KTULU IS BACK
    KTULU IS BACK Banned Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭
    edited December 2010
    fiat_money wrote: »
    Not declaring it a homicide likely means there was no evidence of defensive wounds or other injury that occurred prior to the death by hanging.

If they found no such injuries, it would be purely-speculative to call it a homicide.

Makes sense.

black folk won't be satisfied until farrakhan himself is allowed to perform an autopsy
  • DillaDeaf
    edited December 2010
    They didn't even have the courtesy to roped off the scene and let the crime scene not be contaminated. And the M.E. in the region sucks, trust they choose who they want to investigate...no joke, but yes, lawyers and certain perople do run these towns down here...they have the power to make things go or not, that why people are trying to get a second opinion on the autopsy.
    Governor Barbour discussed the Citizens Council as well as the Ku Klux ? in an interview for The Weekly Standard magazine. "You heard of the Citizens Councils?" Barbour said in the interview. "Up north they think it was like the KKK. Where I come from it was an organization of town leaders. In Yazoo City they passed a resolution that said anybody who started a chapter of the ? would get their ass run out of town."

WASHINGTON -- Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour (R) has set off a firestorm of controversy over his comments on the civil rights era in his hometown of Yazoo City, and now the president of the state's NAACP organization is calling his remarks "offensive" and akin to revisionist history.

"It is quite disturbing that the governor of this state would take an approach to try to change the history of this state," said Derrick Johnson, president of the Mississippi NAACP. "It's beyond disturbing -- it's offensive that he would try and create a new historical reality that undermines the physical, mental, and economic hardship that many African-Americans had to suffer as a result of the policies and practices of the White Citizens Council."

In his interview with The Weekly Standard, Barbour heaps praise on the pro-segregation Citizens Council, which he credits with integrating the Yazoo City public schools without any violence.

"Because the business community wouldn't stand for it," he said. "You heard of the Citizens Councils? Up north they think it was like the KKK. Where I come from it was an organization of town leaders. In Yazoo City they passed a resolution that said anybody who started a chapter of the ? would get their ass run out of town. If you had a job, you'd lose it. If you had a store, they'd see nobody shopped there. We didn't have a problem with the ? in Yazoo City."

"In fact, if you look at Yazoo City, their approach to integration was very similar to other communities across the state, where the parents pulled their children out of the public school system so white children would not have to attend an integrated school system," responded Johnson. "They established a private segregated academy which still exists today. The majority of the white citizens of Yazoo County and Yazoo City still do not allow their children to attend public education today. That trend happened as a result of the civil rights movement and full integration, and that the struggle that blacks had across the state was the same in Yazoo City as it was across the state."

Robert Mickey, an associate political science professor at the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, said that Barbour is correct in asserting that the Citizens Councils were often against ? organizations forming in their communities. It wasn't, however, to promote racial integration; instead, they were concerned that such groups would spoil the economic environment, and in turn, Citizens Councils used economic intimidation to further segregation.

"This was an organization that spread very quickly across the South, directly in response to Brown v. Board of Education," said Mickey in an interview with The Huffington Post Monday. "Usually they were against violence because of its harm to economic development; firms wouldn't want to relocate to places that had a lot of violence. So their tools of slowing down the South's democratization was to use economic intimidation. ... They intimidated black parents from signing petitions demanding that school districts be desegregated, sometimes by printing the signatories in local newspapers, which oftentimes led to the signatures being recanted because the parents understood and feared the consequences of being publicly outed like that. So Barbour's right -- on one hand, they often helped out on the ? , and a lot of times they were interested in deterring white mob violence. But Northerners are right that it's like the ? ."
    Story continues below
    Advertisement

Joseph Crespino, an associate professor of history at Emory University, also noted a particular incident in Yazoo City undermining Barbour's claims. "One of the things the Citizens Council would do is carry out economic harassment -- sometimes physical intimidation -- against local blacks," he said. "There was this well-known incident in Yazoo City in the 1950s where a handful of black parents tried to file a lawsuit against a local public school. They lost their jobs because they filed a lawsuit and they participated in the local civil rights movement. So it's well-documented that the kind of harassment that blacks faced when they tried to desegregate the schools there in Yazoo City."

In his interview, Barbour also said that he once attended an event at which the Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. spoke. "I just don't remember it as being that bad," he said of the civil rights era in Yazoo City. "I remember Martin Luther King came to town, in '62. He spoke out at the old fairground and it was full of people, black and white."

Johnson said he doubted Barbour's account. "In the period of which he was speaking of, it was one of the most racially turbulent times in this state's history. And any event during the early 1960s where Martin Luther King would have spoke, there were very few, if any, local whites in attendance in support of the civil rights movement or the message that Dr. King would have been speaking about."

UPDATE, 5:14 PM: In a 1956 article in Commentary David Halberstam describes the White Citizens Council as an organization determined to "not just oppose integration in the public schools but to stop or at least postpone it. In most of the the Deep South, where hostility to integration is nearly universal, it is this militancy and dedication that make the Council member stand out. Despite occasional efforts by supporters to build the Councils up into a movement of broad conservatism, their only serious purpose is to fight the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People. Not only do they contest the NAACP's desegregation suits, but they seek to cancel much else that the ? has gained over the last half-century by keeping him out of the voting booth." On Yazoo City specifically:

Look," said Nick Roberts of the Yazoo City Citizens Council, explaining why 51 of 53 Negroes who had signed an integration petition withdrew their names, "if a man works for you, and you believe in something, and that man is working against it and undermining it, why you don't want him working for you--of course you don't."

In Yazoo City, in August 1955, the Council members fired signers of the integration petition, or prevailed upon other white employers to get them fired. But the WCC continues to deny that it uses economic force: all the Council did in Yazoo City was to provide information (a full-page ad in the local weekly listing the "offenders"); spontaneous public feeling did the rest.

At the WCC's initial meeting at Indianola, Mississippi, in the summer of 1954, it was decided to isolate and silence white dissenters. The Council organizers knew that the Negroes would need white leadership and help--ministers, editors, school-board members--and it resolved to use social ostracism to deny these to them. In Holmes County, Mississippi, a mass meeting sponsored by the WCC asked Dr. David Minter and Eugene ? and their families to leave the county. Minter and ? had been running a cooperative farm for Negroes under the auspices of the Presbyterian church. After the Court decision they were seen as a danger. The ? and Minter families, however, had never been very much involved with the community, and so they stayed on--in spite of threats and the cancellation of their fire-insurance policies. Nevertheless, Negroes became afraid to come out to their farm, and the two families found themselves isolated. The neighboring minister, a conservative and one of the two men who had defended them at the mass meeting, was transferred out of his parish. (A South Carolina minister lost his church after co-authoring a resolution Which denounced economic sanctions against partisans of integration as un-Christian.)

In another Mississippi city, two doctors were told that their white patients would be denied the use of a new hospital unless they agreed not to bring ? patients even into the segregated wing. (The Council leaders, who expect the Court eventually to abolish segregation in hospitals, believe that the best policy is to keep Negroes out altogether.) And in Clinton, Tennessee, where mob demonstrations greeted the opening of the school year last month, principal D. J. Brittain received so many threatening and abusive telephone calls that he had to change his number.

UPDATE, 5:24 PM: Matt Yglesias at ThinkProgress notes that in 2003, Barbour refused to ask for his picture to be removed from the national website of the Council of Conservative Citizens (CCC), the successor to the Citizens Council. The site featured Confederate flags and linked to articles such as "In defense of racism." Barbour called the content "indefensible" but said he didn't want to tell any group that it couldn't use his image.

In an interview with Talking Points Memo, Barbour's spokesman said people were trying to "paint the governor as a racist," when "nothing could be further from the truth."

UPDATE, 8:44 p.m.: In 1998, then-Mississippi senator Trent Lott renounced the CCC, even though he had praised the group six years earlier.

UPDATE, 11:00 p.m.: HuffPost reader Edward S. points out that the Citizens Council's newsletters are all online here.
  • DillaDeaf
    edited December 2010
    At the WCC's initial meeting at Indianola, Mississippi, in the summer of 1954, it was decided to isolate and silence white dissenters. The Council organizers knew that the Negroes would need white leadership and help--ministers, editors, school-board members--and it resolved to use social ostracism to deny these to them.

This what Fannie Lou Hamer had to deal with, and very children of that WCC in Indianola are the people in charge of my former community college in Mississippi Delta Comm College, and also in charge of many things at Delta State University.....that WCC was no joke, they were worse than cointelpro...WCC kept tabs on nearly everyone and everything, if you even had blacks in your family (illegitimate kids) or blacks passing themselves off as whites or whites being too friendly to blacks (they slam loans and ? on them) ...stuff was very very real.

From wiki:

Influence of the councils

African Americans who were seen as being too supportive of desegregation, voting rights, or other perceived threats to whites' supremacy found themselves and their family members unemployed in many instances; whites who supported civil rights for African Americans were not immune from finding this happening to them as well. Members of the Citizens' Council were sometimes Klansmen, and the more influential the Citizens' Council member, the more influence he had with the ? . In fact, the WCC was even referred to during the civil rights era as "an uptown ? ," "a white collar ? ," "a button-down ? ," and "a country club ? ." The rationale for these nicknames was that it appeared that sheets and hoods had been discarded and replaced by suits and ties. Much like the ? , WCC members held documented white supremacist views and involved themselves in racist activities. They more often held leadership in civic and political organizations, however, which enabled them to legitimize discriminatory practices aimed at non-whites.

The movement grew as activism and Federal enforcement of racial desegregation became more intense, probably peaking in the early 1960s. Many small Southern towns put up signs at city limits that proclaimed "The White Citizens' Council of (city name) Welcomes You".

As school desegregation increased, in some communities "council schools," sponsored by the WCC, were set up for white children. Derisively referred to by some as "segregation academies," some exist even today, although they have generally assumed other sponsorship and most have been forced to integrate, at least in theory, in order to maintain the tax-exempt status afforded to non-profit private schools, which is granted only to those that maintain racial and ethnic nondiscrimination.

these academies still exist today int he same region, heck , one is like right outside my former town, and not one black have been admitted....and the MS Delta region is one of the poorest region that needs teachers, books and students with low passing rates, but yet the academies have all the good teachers, the best equipment, school supplies and such. These things come to a head at the local community colleges and small Div-II schools such as Delta State, because then you see these kids from the academies with such an entitlement, it's a surprise ? dont' get out of hand...
  • Chike
    edited December 2010
    If I'm I living within the past why would I talk about the 'products of progress' It's nice to know they actually exist. Therefore we aren't the totally racist country you so dearly want it to be -- which I'm still trying to figure out why you and others consistently harp on and on about like were still in the mid 40's decade. If I'm aware of history doesn't mean I dwell in it.....yet you folks can dwell on it using the pretences it might repeat itself....say what? that sure seems like playing both sides against the middle ground,to me.

Nice job of referencing that pity all black men scenario of yours. BTW I always use terms like some many,most alot.....so don't pigeon hole me with that malarkey about I think all black people are lazy whiners. FYI ? the ? .....there so insignificant. BTW papa was a rolling stone I guess in many aspects that old tune still runs deep within many troubled black communities...let's be honest about things & take some responsibility. OR we could do what many of you do.....let's talk about what wicked white men are doing.

Well the truth of the matter is, black people don't dwell in the past anymore than you do. It's ok for you to acknowledge the past but if a black man does it's called dwelling? gtfoh hypocrite. It's ok to dwell in the past only if it's good? This is why you aren't dwelling in the past, guy.... wtf about American history has the white man ever had to suffer? other than freeing their free slave labor.... That's you taking advantage of white privilege right there, buddy.... enjoy.