Hispanics Is Spineless In NY I Guess.

Options
DarcSkies
DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2010 in R & R (Religion and Race)
Hispanics Leaving Connecticut Town, Citing Racial Abuse By Police
EAST HAVEN, Conn. — Santiago Malave has worked law enforcement jobs in Connecticut for more than four decades, but as a Puerto Rican, he says he cannot drive through his own town without worrying about police harassing him.

Malave, a probation officer who works in New Haven, says the racial abuse is so bad that he only crosses the town line into East Haven to go home. He and his wife are now preparing to sell their house and move, joining an exodus of Hispanics who say police have hassled them with traffic stops, false arrests and even jailhouse beatings.

The Justice Department has started a civil rights investigation, and the FBI recently opened a criminal probe. But that has not changed things on Main Street, where restaurants and stores that cater to Hispanics are going out of business.

If the goal of police was to ruin East Haven's Hispanic community, some grudgingly say they have succeeded.

"We can't tolerate the town anymore," said Malave, 64. "For us to leave our beautiful home is something that hurts, but we can't deal with these people."

Racial profiling allegations began swirling about two years ago in East Haven, a predominantly Italian-American seaside suburb of about 28,000 people 70 miles northeast of New York City. Hispanics make up only about 7 percent of the population, but their numbers had been growing as the peaceful, small-town setting and thriving businesses attracted newcomers from Mexico and Ecuador.

Police Chief Leonard Gallo, who is on administrative leave, has denied the allegations. The office of acting Police Chief Gaetano Nappi referred calls to Town Attorney Patricia Cofrancesco, who did not respond to phone messages seeking comment.

Hispanic business owners say police made a practice of parking outside their shops and stopping any Latinos. Some who complained say they faced retaliation.

Luis Rodriguez, an immigrant from Ecuador who owns the Los Amigos Grocery, said he was arrested two months ago and jailed for five days after a woman pointed out to police that his 3-year-old son was unsupervised on the sidewalk outside the store. He said police were out for revenge because his wife had been videotaping them. He was charged with child neglect; the case is still pending.

Story continues below

blockquote .mid_article_ad_label { border: 1px solid rgb(221, 221, 221); }
Advertisement

Meanwhile, his store is up for sale. Ecuadoreans used to travel from as far as Massachus
etts for jalapenos, Ecuadorean sodas and other specialty products. But Rodriguez said police have scared customers away by threatening to alert immigration authorities if they ever saw them in town again.

"If I had known the police in East Haven are so much trouble I never would have invested so much money here," said Rodriguez, 41, who has put more than $120,000 into the store.

The Justice Department's civil rights branch began investigating the police force in September 2009. It is still looking into alleged discriminatory policing, but it identified preliminary concerns in April over issues including outdated policies and a lack of clear guidance on the use of force.

The town's mayor, April Capone, revealed this month that the FBI was gathering evidence for potential criminal prosecutions of some of the officers. Her office declined to comment.

Dermot Lynch, a student intern with Yale Law School's Worker and Immigrant Rights Advocacy Clinic, said the problem goes beyond a few rogue officers.

"This is a systemwide leadership failure. It's going to need widespread reform," said Lynch, whose group filed a lawsuit in October on behalf of nine immigrants who say East Haven police abused them with beatings and unwarranted use of a stun gun. It also quotes officers using ethnic slurs.

Until recently, East Haven was considered a refuge by Hispanics, a suburb with ample parking and less crime than New Haven.

Malave, who has lived here since 1977, said he never had problems before late 2008 when police responded to a report by his wife that some money was missing. The couple had begun to argue. Malave, who was asked his nationality, said police arrested him for disorderly conduct the minute he said he was born in Puerto Rico.

"I tried to talk to the sergeant, but he said, `You spics don't have rights here,'" said Malave, a former New Haven police officer.

Hispanics in East Haven say more than half their population – estimated at 1,900 by the Census Bureau – has moved away.

Mario Marin, who was at work one recent afternoon in his family's empty restaurant, La Bamba, said two of his siblings moved to nearby Waterbury and another brother returned to Ecuador. He said one brother, like other Hispanic property owners, lost a house to foreclosure after his tenants moved away.

"They destroyed our future here," Marin said of police. He said even out-of-town diners have stopped coming since officers launched raids on the restaurant's parking lot, towing away any cars with out-of-state license plates.

Marin and others said run-ins with police have been less common since police came under federal scrutiny. But activist John Lugo of Latinos United in Action, who helped organize a march against racial profiling last year, said his group still advises Hispanics to steer clear of East Haven.
I feel sorry for them because I remember all the hispanic help blacks got in regards to racial profiling in.....wait...that never happened.

lol @ getting ran out of town. All the voting power these ? got and they tucking tail?

Too bad we cant be unified about ? like this. Blacks stay fighting back. I mean damn. They aint gonna protest or nothing...just move? SHIIIIIED.

Yall Hispanics dont got your own Jesse Jackson? Yall aint got no Yesse Yackson u can get down there ASAP?

Comments

• Knives Amilli
    Knives Amilli Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Hispanics been bitchmade.
  • Chike
    Chike Members Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    That's the problem, Hispanics are treated as blacks by white, but they got us dividing ourselves based on nationality. smh @ black people and Hispanics not grouping themselves together when we're all part of the same tribe.

(waits for heyslick to come in here and tell those hispanics to get over the past)
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Yet, I bet if you polled those hispanics, they'd probably still say they identify more with those whites than blacks. At least that's what happened in NC. Those white people were exploiting the hell out of the mexicans, and their answers were basically "Yeah, white people are mean to us but we feel closer to them than blacks." How stupid is that?
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Hispanics and Brits have been beefing since Ferdinand and Isabella. This isn't a black people problem. Those Mexicans ain't down with our tribe (unless you count Indian blood). Ask the homies in LA. If you said Puerto Rock or Dominican then yeah i can see that being a problem. But even they ride in their own lane, word to Haiti and my black Puerto rock brothers hated on on the island..
  • TimroD
    TimroD Confirm Email Posts: 1,685 ✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Young-Ice wrote: »
    blacks got enslaved and ? eachother every day over drugs and diamonds :)

gotta luv drugs and diamondssss blingblang
    i needs some new diamonds man
  • b@squ1@t redux
    b@squ1@t redux Members Posts: 13,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    hispaniolas need to get over the future
  • TimroD
    edited December 2010
    Options
    shiiet im white and lives in europe
    but i gotta say yall should stop goin at eachother like that all this divide and conquer ? is played out its 2010
  • b@squ1@t redux
    b@squ1@t redux Members Posts: 13,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    cant stop wont stop

racism is the lifeblood of the economy
  • JB-CHI-CITY
    JB-CHI-CITY Members Posts: 568
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Darxwell wrote: »
    Hispanics Leaving Connecticut Town, Citing Racial Abuse By Police

I feel sorry for them because I remember all the hispanic help blacks got in regards to racial profiling in.....wait...that never happened.

lol @ getting ran out of town. All the voting power these ? got and they tucking tail?

Too bad we cant be unified about ? like this. Blacks stay fighting back. I mean damn. They aint gonna protest or nothing...just move? SHIIIIIED.

Yall Hispanics dont got your own Jesse Jackson? Yall aint got no Yesse Yackson u can get down there ASAP?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Well Damn

I know in Chicago it's one his name is Luis Guiterezz
  • musicology1985
    musicology1985 Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    FuriousOne wrote: »
    Hispanics and Brits have been beefing since Ferdinand and Isabella. This isn't a black people problem. Those Mexicans ain't down with our tribe (unless you count Indian blood). Ask the homies in LA. If you said Puerto Rock or Dominican then yeah i can see that being a problem. But even they ride in their own lane, word to Haiti and my black Puerto rock brothers hated on on the island..

What are you talking about? Moors (blacks) were in Spain and it is our loss of it in 1492 that brought Spain & Portugal to the Americas which paved the way for the rest.

Now, as far as Latinos, you have to be careful because not all are the same. Many Puerto Ricans have repped for the pro black and black & brown to brown pride movements as well as acknowledged African ancestry. Mexicans, for the most part in recent history, have not, but there are some Negros over there & in the states too that rep. I'm cool with a lot of PR's but they don't have to join or do things the black way if they don't want to. We need to stay focused on this black ? . If Ricans is down, cool, if not, cool. I lose no sleep over it.
  • TimroD
    edited December 2010
    Options
    nah we should bring back that 70 peace and unity ?
    i stays in europe chillin with blacks, whites,latinas, asians, arabs alladat yall shoudl follow my example i see young ice posted a pic in the fashion forum he stays chillin with pale ppl
  • musicology1985
    edited December 2010
    Options
    moors werent black bro, they were middle eastern. and mexicans aren't of black ancestry.

Young Ice don't come at me with that ? man. Moors were black and still exist to this day in Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, & other parts of Africa and West Asia (the proper name for the middle east.) Some even exist in the Americas through descendants. Even the original black Arabs still live in numerous parts of the Arabian peninsula. And I have personally talked to Negros Mexicans. Not all are mestizo. There is much diversity in Latin America. I know your mamacita is Dominican but your kind can be the trickiest of them all if a person is not on point. Especially since your father is European.
  • JB-CHI-CITY
    JB-CHI-CITY Members Posts: 568
    edited December 2010
    Options
    TimroD wrote: »
    shiiet im white and lives in europe

but i gotta say yall should stop goin at eachother like that all this divide and conquer ? is played out its 2010

Mos Def

Already

No doubt

All The time

and i'm ?

this Black vs. Brown ? is ? stupid
  • musicology1985
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Mexicans aren't black. watch mexican movies or tv (my abuelita gets ALL the Spanish channels on her tv) ain't no blacks on the channels comin from spain or mexico.

there are black people in mexico, but thats a different story.

I'm not gonna go by what TV says when I've seen Negros Mexicans in real life Ice.
  • garv
    garv Confirm Email Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    moors werent black bro, they were middle eastern. and mexicans aren't of black ancestry.

Loool idiot...........
  • Chike
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Mexicans aren't black. watch mexican movies or tv (my abuelita gets ALL the Spanish channels on her tv) ain't no blacks on the channels comin from spain or mexico.

there are black people in mexico, but thats a different story.

Woowwwwww Young ice.... wowwwwww.... You do realise that they purposely find the whitest looking spaniard actors/actresses to put in their shows, right? They do this so that gullible people like yourself will glorify white.

And you're batshit crazy if you think moors weren't black... even WHITE people admit they were black... and they normally lie about EVERYTHING... they just simply can't lie about this though.
  • The Prime Minister
    The Prime Minister Members Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Lets talk about what happens when a Black person lives in a Mexican hood.

Why just last week this little ? cocked a gun on me, in front of my OWN house!

Then last night some random Mexican crackhead knocks on my door looking for "the party" GTFOH!!!

I'm moving out this janky ass hood in the next couple, so whatever...
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    What are you talking about? Moors (blacks) were in Spain and it is our loss of it in 1492 that brought Spain & Portugal to the Americas which paved the way for the rest.

Now, as far as Latinos, you have to be careful because not all are the same. Many Puerto Ricans have repped for the pro black and black & brown to brown pride movements as well as acknowledged African ancestry. Mexicans, for the most part in recent history, have not, but there are some Negros over there & in the states too that rep. I'm cool with a lot of PR's but they don't have to join or do things the black way if they don't want to. We need to stay focused on this black ? . If Ricans is down, cool, if not, cool. I lose no sleep over it.

How you gonna talk that ? and not see me give shout outs to Ricans and Dominicans. This does not change the fact that many of them don't cosign their blackness and be on some ? towards blacks. The ones that do rep claim their blackness with pride. The moors were kicked out of Spain a long time ago and the white people remained. Moors were a Arabs coming from the Phoenician side of things. They conquered north Africa and Egypt and changed it's face. Moors never reped for the Nubian brothers and sisters.

http://yourfreepress.blogspot.com/2008/05/political-racism-in-puerto-rico.html

http://reggaetonica.blogspot.com/2007/02/tego-calderon-on-black-pride.html
  • The BAPHOMET
    The BAPHOMET Members Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Yall aint got no Yesse Yackson u can get down there ASAP?

ahahaaaaaaaa........too hilarious
  • The BAPHOMET
    The BAPHOMET Members Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Yet, I bet if you polled those hispanics
    that would mean they would have to register...they ain't stupid...

ahahaaaaaaa..........I know this is serious biz but you ? are hilarious
  • musicology1985
    edited December 2010
    Options
    FuriousOne wrote: »
    How you gonna talk that ? and not see me give shout outs to Ricans and Dominicans. This does not change the fact that many of them don't cosign their blackness and be on some ? towards blacks. The ones that do rep claim their blackness with pride. The moors were kicked out of Spain a long time ago and the white people remained. Moors were a Arabs coming from the Phoenician side of things. They conquered north Africa and Egypt and changed it's face. Moors never reped for the Nubian brothers and sisters.

http://yourfreepress.blogspot.com/2008/05/political-racism-in-puerto-rico.html

http://reggaetonica.blogspot.com/2007/02/tego-calderon-on-black-pride.html

The moors were black and still exist til this day in all of the places that I mentioned. I do hold them responsible for our fall in 1492 though. Many were of Nubian (the tribe) origin going back to the B.C.'s and the interaction was not hostile with most other tribes in Africa until after the fall of Spain, when the massive division between blacks started and exists til this day. Contrary to propaganda, many Ricans are down for the cause and always have been, going back to Arthur Schombourg of Harlem in the early 1900's to Rosa Clemente in the 2000's. With Dominicans, not so much, but the situation is slowly moving along.
  • DarcSkies
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Chike wrote: »
    That's the problem, Hispanics are treated as blacks by white, but they got us dividing ourselves based on nationality. smh @ black people and Hispanics not grouping themselves together when we're all part of the same tribe.

(waits for heyslick to come in here and tell those hispanics to get over the past)
    Its one thing for that to be true. Its another for everybody to believe it and act accordingly.

I used to be pro-hispanic but then I wised up. Dont get me wrong I dont hate them or even dislike them. But I no longer defend them. Cuz when the shoe is on the other foot they are quick to suck ? ? .
    i watched blood diamond yesterday

but this is a dumb asss thread by a ? poster. Ricans have always been hassled in america and blacks tryna say they're ? made? really son? blacks got enslaved and are publicly the white man's ? but spics be the ones on the low end? really?

lmfao gtfohwtbs

word to kanye bein in dat glory hole.
    LOL at you reaching for a "black" insult cuz you caught feelings.

Then going on to say Moors werent black.
    ES-BEE wrote: »
    ahahaaaaaaaa........too hilarious
    What? U know they cant pronouce them "J's" man. Thats why them ? dont be wearing Jordans.
  • P-Dogg77
    P-Dogg77 Members Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Lol at bitchmade to spineless.
  • DarcSkies
    edited December 2010
    Options
    P-Dogg77 wrote: »
    Lol at bitchmade to spineless.
    I even tried to edit the curse word though lol
  • Chike
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Its one thing for that to be true. Its another for everybody to believe it and act accordingly.

I used to be pro-hispanic but then I wised up. Dont get me wrong I dont hate them or even dislike them. But I no longer defend them. Cuz when the shoe is on the other foot they are quick to suck ? ? .

Yea, I know what you mean.