Nintendo 3DS Events in January

Options
focus
focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2011 in IllGaming
Nintendo's North American plans for its stereoscopic 3D portable gaming machine will become much more clear on January 19, 2011, when the company holds a preview event for its next big thing, the Nintendo 3DS.

The company will be hosting a Nintendo 3DS event packed with "hands-on game play, demos and a presentation by president and COO of Nintendo of America Reggie Fils-Aime" next month in New York, where it's expected that release dates, launch titles and price will be officially unveiled to the video game press. Yes, this is a press-only event, but Kotaku will be attending and letting you know exactly what happens.

Japan gets the Nintendo 3DS on February 26. Will North America be too far behind? Best guesses are placing the 3DS for a mid-March release in the States.

And when will we get "launch title" Kid Icarus Uprising, the next Pilotwings, the 3D-enhanced remake of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and all those other games? Hopefully we'll have the answers to those questions and many more on January 19.

http://kotaku.com/5715436/nintendo-to-reveal-3ds-details-on-january-19?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+kotaku/full+%28Kotaku%29

500x_3ds.jpg

You Can Play And Watch These Nintendo 3DS Games Next Month

You Can Play And Watch These Nintendo 3DS Games Next Month That is, if you live in Japan. Nintendo is rolling out its Nintendo World 2011 next year in Chiba, Japan. The Kyoto-based company has a list of titles that will be playable.

Those games are:

Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D "The Naked Sample" (Auto Mode)
Winning Eleven 3DSoccer
Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition
Resident Evil: Revelations
Sengoku Musou Chronicle
Dead or Alive: Dimensions
Ridge Racer 3D
Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask
nintendogs + cats
Kid Icarus
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Steel Driver
Pilot Wings Resort
AR Games
Nintendo 3DS Camera

The above titles will also be shown in video form as well as Resident Evil: Mercenaries, Super Monkey Ball 3D, Kingdom Hearts 3D, Gundam The 3D Battle, Tales of the Abyss, One Piece: Unlimited Cruise SP, Cubic Ninja, Tobidasu! Puzzle Bobble 3D, Pro Baseball Famisuta 2011, Animal Resort, Xevious, 3D Beauty Clock, Star Fox 64 3D, Paper Mario, Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, Mii Plaza.

The only newly revealed game is Gundam The 3D Battle.

Nintendo World 2011 runs from January 8 to January 10 at the Makuhari Messe in Chiba, Japan. Admission is free.

http://kotaku.com/5719560/you-can-play-and-watch-these-nintendo-3ds-games-next-month

Comments

• thenatureboy
    thenatureboy Members Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I really want to see the 3D tech in person to see how impressive it is.
  • vespesianus
    vespesianus Members Posts: 330 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    I'm definitely going to this. I know a few of y'all live in Japan too, anyone else going?
  • Hip-Hop One
    Hip-Hop One Members Posts: 703 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    It's going to sell like crazy. It's got good games coming too.
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Star Fox 64 3D?

? YES.

And don't expect a PSP3D anytime soon. Nintendo got this innovation ? on lock.
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    Star Fox 64 3D?

? YES.

And don't expect a PSP3D anytime soon. Nintendo got this innovation ? on lock.

wknsle.jpg
  • joshuaboy
    edited December 2010
    Options
    A pair of warnings could have a chilling effect on the 3DS.

Is Nintendo about to alienate a core section of its audience? In advance of a special event for the 3DS in Japan, Nintendo released a statement warning parents that children ages six or younger should only use 2D mode when playing the upcoming handheld. According to Nintendo's statement (which is located here and translated by the Wall Street Journal), use of artificial 3D can possibly affect the development of healthy eyes.

Nintendo didn't stop there. The gaming giant also stressed that adults shouldn't play in 3D mode for more than 30 minutes at a stretch. The warnings are not blanket reasons to avoid the 3DS altogether, but these are aggressive statements against what's supposed to be the central feature of the 3DS.

Is this a preemptive strike against medical experts that are sure to weigh in when the 3DS is released this spring? Nintendo is often keen to address potential problems before they become full-fledged PR nightmares, as evidenced by the repeat measures (wrist strap warnings and rubber shells) to guard against flying Wii Remotes.

These eyesight warnings are rather reminiscent of those issued by Nintendo in the wake of the Virtual Boy launch, where breaks from the 3D action were not mandatory, but heavily suggested. That wasn't the key undoing of the Virtual Boy, but it was definitely a piece of the rug that was eventually pulled out from under the gaming device. Will 3D end up a curse for Nintendo after all?

Look for more details about the 3DS on January 8-10 right here on IGN, as reports from the Nintendo World 2011 event come across the pond.

http://ds.ign.com/articles/114/1142304p1.html
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    ^lol ether.

but if 3d can be turned off, it may not be that big a deal.
  • Mdizzle9000
    Mdizzle9000 Members, Writer Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    i gotta see 1 of these ? ....

i wonder if ill still be able to steal games and use acekard with a 3ds
  • joshuaboy
    edited December 2010
    Options
    ^lol ether.

but if 3d can be turned off, it may not be that big a deal.

Yea, you can switch between 2D and 3D.

It uses the same tech that 3DTV's that don't require glasses use.
  • focus
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Nintendo is just doing the smart thing and covering their ass with those warnings....just like they did with the Wii. Obviously was can play for more than 30 minutes. We watch 2 hour plus 3D movies (which the 3DS also plays).
  • vespesianus
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Yo thought I'd bump this thread instead of making a new one, I just got back today from the Nintendo 3DS event nintendo held in Chiba, Japan. Played it as much as I could. I don't have any footage/pictures of actual gameplay because we weren't allowed to take pictures but y'all can ask me any questions you have about the system
  • thenatureboy
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Yo thought I'd bump this thread instead of making a new one, I just got back today from the Nintendo 3DS event nintendo held in Chiba, Japan. Played it as much as I could. I don't have any footage/pictures of actual gameplay because we weren't allowed to take pictures but y'all can ask me any questions you have about the system

What games did you play and how did the 3D effects look?
  • vespesianus
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I played Ridge Racer, this game called Steel Diver or something, the Kid Icarus game, I 'played' MGS3 but it was just a video with a controllable cam, Pilot Wings, SF4, Biohazard and Dead or Alive: Dimensions or whatever it's called.

Ridge Racer was nothing impressive to me. The graphics are a step up from the regular DS but not mind blowing. The gameplay was solid, smooth and enjoyable, I don't think the 3D added much to the experience of this game.

I was annoyed that there was nothing playable for MGS3, just a video, but it really showed off the graphical capabilities of the DS which were pretty impressive.

Steel Diver was pretty fun but not a game I would ever buy, we only got to play one level, maybe the gameplay changes later on in the game I don't know but it was a little boring. It was probably included at this event because it showed off the internal gyroscope, there was the level where you had to rotate yourself to look around in the game, I admit it was pretty cool. All of this game took place on a 2D plane or a stationary point, which means the 3D was just there in the bg to look pretty and nothing else.

Kid Icarus was cool, the control system is weird and took some getting used to but graphically it looks nice and seemed like a fun game.

I don't know whether it was the final build or not but SF4 was not good. Firstly the 3D just looks weird in this game, I didn't like it. Secondly, it was very slow and laggy, framerate issues or something. Thirdly they have 4 squares on the touch pad that you simply touch to do special moves, supers and ultras, which sucks all the skill out of the game.

Biohazard was probably my favourite game, which I was surprised at. Graphics were amazing, gameplay was smooth, atmospheric and fun.

Pilot Wings was genuinely fun but it's practically just a game of minigames. 3D was dope though.

Dead or Alive was like it always was, I think all the extra polygons just went to the chests of the girls. If you like DOA it seems like it's faithful to the series.

The 3D effects were pretty impressive, there's a slider on the side of the top screen so you can adjust the amount of 3D effect, some games look better with 3D maxed out, other games I preferred with only a little bit of 3D. But yeah on the whole the 3D was amazing. It's something you have to see to believe. I don't really know how else to describe it but it's not half assed, it's the real deal. The machine itself felt quite solid, good build quality, didn't feel flimsy. I didn't really like the placement of the analogue nub thing but I think I'd probably get used to it.
  • thenatureboy
    edited January 2011
    Options
    ^^Sounds good, I look forward to seeing this in person.
  • focus
    edited January 2011
    Options
    IGN Hands On: Resident Evil: The Horror is Back
    Trying out Resident Evil in 3D through this original 3DS installment.
    January 8, 2011

The horror is back in Resident Evil! That's our impression after a going few sessions with 3DS's Resident Evil Revelations at the Nintendo World demo event in Chiba earlier today.

The Nintendo World demo, the first time Revelations has gone playable, gave players control of Jill Valentine on the ship that serves as the game's central setting. In our two play sessions, we lead Jill through the corridors of the devastated ship and took out a few attacking zombies along the way.

Controls in Revelations will be familiar to modern Resident Evil fans. The game takes place mostly from the character's back. You move with the analogue pad, run with B, ready your weapon with R and fire with Y. You can play around with the camera angle by moving your hand over an on-screen pad, although the only use we could come up with for this when playing the demo was to position the camera for a better look at Jill (not a bad use -- she looks pretty nice with her new Revelations design).

The game allows you to move while firing now. You do this by holding down L, which makes your character move in a strafing fashion. You can move in this fashion even when your gun is drawn and firing.

The ability to move while firing does not mean that Revelations is a run-and-gun game, though. If our demo session is anything to go by, it's the exact opposite. At most, we encountered one or two zombies at a time (although two proved to be enough, as we died in the same spot twice!)

Like the REs of old, the game seems to have a purposefully slow pace, with the thrills coming not from blasting away at zombie hoards but at the suspense of not knowing when something will pop out of door or hidden passage. This happened a few times in the demo. A zombie popped out of a toilet stall and came at Jill. Rats suddenly popped out of vents.

At one point in the demo, we could hear someone grunting and as if he was coming under attack. As we approached a room surrounded by glass walls, we saw that the man was being held at the neck by a zombie. The zombie tossed the man at the room's windows, splattering blood all over the place. When we worked our way to the room, we found that two zombies were eating their recent ? (this is where we died in both our play sessions, by the way).

With atmospheric sounds, and lots of shock scenes, it looks like Resident Evil Revelations could deliver true scares! Those scares will come at the visual quality we've come to expect from the series' latest HD installments. Revelations is a showpiece title for the 3DS in terms of visual fidelity. It also has a nice, clear 3D effect, making it look like you're looking into a virtual 3D world. The MT Framework (which powers both this and Street Fighter IV 3D Edition) appears to have another success story on its hands.

While the Nintendo World demo makes Revelations looks like it's pretty far along, a recent Japanese magazine article listed the game as just 20% complete. Based off our play test though, this one is going to be worth any amount of waiting

http://ds.ign.com/articles/114/1143173p1.html

• focus
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Hands On: Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition
    Capcom adds a new dimension to its 2D fighter.
    January 8, 2011

The Nintendo World 2011 demo of Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition was limited to just arcade and story modes of play. With none of the new 3DS wireless functionality on display, we were expecting the game to play like its Xbox 360, PS3 and arcade counterparts but with 3D visuals.

That's pretty much spot on, but thanks to Capcom's early mastery of the 3DS hardware, as evidenced here and with Resident Evil Revelations, you're going to want to pick up Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition just to show off the new system.

Gameplay in Super SFIV remains pure 2D even with the switch to 3D. The 3D effects are used just to add depth to the visuals, but the stages we played had such a great feeling depth that once you've played the game in 3D going back to 2D displays may be tough (quickly, Capcom, patch the PS3 version for 3D output!).

The game also has the option for what Capcom calls "Dynamic View." This tilts the angle of play a bit so the camera is slightly behind your character's back. You still control the action like normal. This view proved to be quite playable, but only when playing the game with 3D on. Switching the 3D volume all the way to 0, which turns off the 3D effect, made the view tough to play, presumably because of difficulties judging depth. We're not sure if we'd actually use the Dynamic View in a fight, but it does look like an interesting case study in how to make gameplay specifically for use with 3D output.

More superficially, Super SFIV 3D Edition puts 3D to great use during non-gameplay areas such as character select and splash screens. Everything is placed in a different layer: character artwork, text, character select icons, the world map, and so-forth. It looks like a pop-up picture book, and the effect is so cool that this is probably the first time you'll find yourself demoing your new pricey hardware via menu screens.

On the gameplay side of things, we're sure you already have your own opinion on the effects of the 3DS's button layout on Super SFIV's gameplay. We found that the system's d-pad worked nicely with the game and had no problems getting out our hadokens and what-not.

For beginners, the system's bottom screen shows a customizable quick move palette. You're free to place four moves here for easy access.

There's a lot more to Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition than just the console Super SFIV games with 3D visuals, of course. Capcom showed a new trailer at Nintendo World which highlighted many of the new 3DS specific features. These were all mobile-centric: the previously announced Street Pass support, the arcade-style challenges against random people on the street (this is going to be huge if you're in a big city!), a "Channel Live" fight viewing mode, and download play. That latter mode means you'll be able to play with friends you don't have a copy of the game. Even better, players who've downloaded the game from another player will be able to share it with others even if the original player is no longer there!

Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition is Capcom's 3DS launch title in Japan, and it looks like it's going to be a must buy both for fighting fans and, surprisingly, for those who just want to show off the system's 3D technology.

http://ds.ign.com/articles/114/1143178p1.html

• vespesianus
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Whoever did the RE review lost for dying twice in that short, easy ass demo
  • joshuaboy
    edited January 2011
    Options
    The RE game has me interested in this. If more games like this drop, I might pick up one.
  • joshuaboy
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Importers and globetrotting gamers suffered a blow today after it emerged that Nintendo 3DS software will be region-locked.

Confirmation comes from an email from Nintendo of Japan support, translated by user farnham on forum NeoGAF.

This means that software specifically created for the Nintendo 3DS will be region-locked: European software will only work on European consoles, and more importantly US and Japanese software won't.

While the move is sure to disappoint importers, it comes as no surprise. Although previous DS handhelds - and GameBoys before them - had been region-free, the DSi and the DSi XL are region-locked.

Nintendo was undecided on the matter as late as E3 2010 in June, when Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime said the company had yet to make a decision.

The 3DS is due out in Europe and the US in March, and in Japan on 26th February.
  • focus
    edited January 2011
    Options
  • Datdude87
    Datdude87 Members Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I really want to see the 3D tech in person to see how impressive it is.

• joshuaboy
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Nintendo's to announce its plans for the 3DS launch across Europe and North America this Wednesday – and the host of the European event has hinted that there could be a few surprises in store too.

UK TV presenter Jonathan Ross confirmed through his Twitter account that he'll be fronting the European event at Amsterdam this Wednesday, where it's expected that Nintendo will nail down pricing and date details for the release of the 3DS, prompting a flurry of queries from his followers.

"I don't expect you to spill anything, it's nice to have a surprise" wrote Twitter user darrenkerwin, "I have my fingers crossed for Metroid..", to which Ross replied "I think you're going to be pleased then..."

Jonathan Ross has got previous when it comes to leaking big games – the former BBC star brought the first news of Fable III via his Twitter account back in 2009.

The idea of a Metroid game on Nintendo's new handheld is a tantalising one. One of the Nintendo DS's showcase titles on its debut was a bite-sized demo of Metroid Prime Hunters, a game that in its full-fat form went on to bag a 9.0 on its release in 2006.

A further Metroid game – Metroid Dread – was planned for the original Nintendo DS, though the Intelligent Systems-developed adventure game never saw the light of day. Could it be due a reveal this Wednesday? We'll be at the event and will be bringing you the news as it happens.

http://ds.ign.com/articles/114/1144270p1.html
  • joshuaboy
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Nintendo has told Eurogamer there is a "possibility" 3DS games from one region won't work when played by a 3DS from another region.

Here's why:

"Nintendo 3DS hardware is available in three versions: Japanese, American and European/Australian. Nintendo has developed different versions of Nintendo 3DS hardware to take into account different languages, age rating requirements and parental control functionality, as well as to ensure compliance with local laws in each region," a Nintendo statement explained.

"Nintendo 3DS also offers network services specifically tailored for each region.

"Additionally we want to ensure the best possible gaming experience for our users, and There is the possibility that Nintendo 3DS software sold in one region will not function properly when running on Nintendo 3DS hardware sold in another."

The statement added: "Guidance will appear on every packaging of Nintendo 3DS hardware and the accompanying software. If you are in doubt, Nintendo recommends that you only purchase Nintendo 3DS software in the region where purchased your Nintendo 3DS system."

Reports that the 3DS was region-locked spilled earlier this month. Let's hope Nintendo can bring Japanese and Western releases closer to compensate.
  • glowy
    glowy Members Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I'm probably gonna wait the 2-3 years for them to come out with the new and better 3DS.
  • ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I'm definitely going to this. I know a few of y'all live in Japan too, anyone else going?

Chiba is far but im going