Soul Food:Heritage or Harmful?

Options
htowntx
htowntx Members Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭
edited January 2011 in For The Grown & Sexy
Its almost new year's so I know a lot of u ? are loading up on the chitlins, hog maws, pig ears and tails and other disgusting ? . Whenever I tell someone that this ? is slave food and not fit for human consumption all I hear is that this food is part of the ? heritage.

What say u, my IC brethren

Comments

• smitty516
    smitty516 Members Posts: 246 ✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    my fam from down south stay tryin to convince me that chiltlin ? is good, Im like yall two body organs away from eatin pig ?
  • bluprint
    bluprint Members Posts: 465
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Harmful I told my Grammy" you know we don't have to eat this anymore" still didnt help
  • shtoopid
    shtoopid Members Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    it's delicious. fucc i look like eating "zuchini bread" at a family reunion
  • JusDre313
    JusDre313 Members Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    harmful..... word to big mama in soulfood images%3Fq%3Dsoul%2Bfood%2BIrma%2BP.%2BHall%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26sa%3DN%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26biw%3D1229%26bih%3D528%26tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=237&vpy=38&dur=1394&hovh=269&hovw=188&tx=160&ty=148&oei=DmkdTfKoJ82nnAfl2IjgDQ&esq=3&page=1&ndsp=25&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Heritage because it's made of the only foods that our ancestors were able to use hundreds of years ago during slavery......But it is very harmful to out bodies so it's BOTH.....
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    harmful, artery cloggin, heart attack inducing, high blood pressure gettin
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    A heritage that could be harmful if done excessively, like most foods. I don't ? with intestines and all that other weird ? . Just give me the meat of the animal.
  • CollegeBoi12
    CollegeBoi12 Members Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    So ILL wrote: »
    Heritage because it's made of the only foods that our ancestors were able to use hundreds of years ago during slavery......But it is very harmful to out bodies so it's BOTH.....

• DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Both.

? dont learn or listen. Put that ? to a Kanye beat or something.
  • dj expanium
    dj expanium Confirm Email Posts: 3,581 ✭✭
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Highly Underrated Post!!!!
    Heritage, it's only harmful if yo fat ass don't exercise and/or take care of yourself like you're supposed to.
    These type of meals shouldn't be consumed daily, because you do have to take care of yourself for the long run. This same principle applies to fast food as well.
  • lighthearted25
    lighthearted25 Members Posts: 1,307
    edited December 2010
    Options
    heritge. i DO NOT ? w/ that ? , chitlins, pig feet, pig ears, hamhocks, gizzards....nasty. alot of older people actualy enjoy the taste of these things, its not bout survival anymore. to each his own but like someone already said, u have to eat it in moderation and exercise.
  • Aschooleric
    Aschooleric Members Posts: 3
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Heritage, I personally dont eat the stuff but its fine if you aint sittin on your ass all day.
  • J.AFRICANUS
    J.AFRICANUS Members Posts: 108
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Its more harmful than heritage first of all in the motherland we did not poison our bodies with swine. Second slavery has been over for 145 and to continue to eat slave food on the basis of heritage is down right shameful. To keep letting Willie Lynch at our dinner tables is pure ignorance. I'm a southerner to the bone but swine does not touch my fork.
  • Gnawledgeable
    Gnawledgeable Members Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I eat soul food like every other month. As for Big Mama, she cooked every sunday, no wonder . . . .
  • truth spitter
    truth spitter Members Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I try to only eat that ? during the holidays when I spend time with family cause not eating their food is a sign of disrespect. And bout 80% of the U.S. population don't exercise on a consistent basis so they gonna be assed out when they hit 60 years old. I got family in the country (mostly women) that live to be 80-90 years old eating soul food monthly. But the thing is they aint been exposed to the things we have i.e. fast food, city pollution, drugs. And even then they still have illnesses like diabetes and high blood pressure. But yea u ? gon have a heart attack at 50 keep eating that swine all the time.
  • dat_bk_nicca
    dat_bk_nicca Members Posts: 1,526 ✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    carribbean food >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> soul food
  • dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    What's wrong with collard greens, yams, potato salad, chicken, and black-eyed peas? Too many people, ignorant people at that, want to only point out the negative factors in Black culture. So I guess we're supposed to act like other cultures don't have unhealthy dishes as well?

...how about this, eat a ? .
  • still-SBP
    still-SBP Members Posts: 898 ✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I ? with this ?
  • MICHAEL-V.I.
    MICHAEL-V.I. Members Posts: 1,898 ✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    htowntx wrote: »
    Its almost new year's so I know a lot of u ? are loading up on the chitlins, hog maws, pig ears and tails and other disgusting ? . Whenever I tell someone that this ? is slave food and not

fit for human consumption all I hear is that this food is part of the ? heritage.

What say u, my IC brethren

Hmmmmmmmm

Fried chicken, you give me heart disease/ you're not a vixen

you're a BIRD/ but not a key

I'm gone eat some ? , until what I'm eating ? 's me, and I choose to do that

Why?

Cause that's just what ? 'z do
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Both obviously. That ? is terrible for you though so I think you should eat it in reeeal moderation...
  • King Erauno
    King Erauno Members Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    i dont see the significance of soul food. never have...prolly never will.

*west indian post*
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    i just don't like that ? ....
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    ^ this

but it's funny how folks in here are callin it harmful (and rightfully so), but don't hesitate in eatin fast food 4-5 days a week.

anyway, erything in moderation.

Man I don't mess with fast food. If I'm out and hungry I'll go all the way home and cook. And I make sure I've eaten before I left home anyway so I won't be stuck out there. SMH @ people still eating that ?
  • yogirlsxman
    yogirlsxman Banned Users Posts: 499
    edited January 2011
    Options
    heritage. Now that the holiday season over i know i have gained about 10lbs. But i enjoyed the food.