Stanford University and SAT Scores

Options
MsVShantrell
MsVShantrell Members Posts: 155
edited February 2011 in Growing Pains
A young lady sent me a message on facebook asking about test scores and admittance. Below you’ll find part of her message and my response is in the video (you can also read my written response at: http://msanomalous.wordpress.com/)… good luck applicants..

I applied to Stanford right now, and I believe I did some very good essays. I was myself. I did not hire anyone to help me, like many people do, I just wrote what I really believe in. I wrote about the poverty in my country, violence, and many other aspects I find engaging.

Anyway, the bad part of all this is that I took my SAT in December, and I got a 1800. At first I thought it was a great grade, because I know of many kids in the American schools here that get like a 1600 during their first attempt. The thing is, I’ve been google-ing and I found that even 2000 is a low SAT score. Since you are a student at Stanford, my question is this. Do you think there is a slight bit of chance that they will not only focus on my 1800 and maybe take a deeper look at all the other things I have to offer? Do you know of any other undergrad or graduate student in Stanford who got accepted with this kind of score? Or do you truly think they will automatically dispose of my application because of the score?

Comments

• MacOne
    MacOne Banned Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    You're black, you'll get into stanford and they won't even look at your scores
  • MsVShantrell
    MsVShantrell Members Posts: 155
    edited January 2011
    Options
    MacOne wrote: »
    You're black, you'll get into stanford and they won't even look at your scores

smh.. You know, in high school when me and all my classmates (mostly Asian and white because I was in AP classes) were discussing what schools we were applying to (I mentioned Princeton, Stanford, Harvard, Yale, Columbia, NYU, and the UCs) one of my classmates, a blonde white girl who I had been cool with for several years and who happened to be the class president said pretty much the same thing. She said, "Of course you'll get in; you're poor, Black, and a girl." I swear to you she said that. And I replied something along these lines:

"I'm sure that even if I wasn't Black and poor I would have been admitted. I am the president and founder of two organizations on campus; I'm in college while I'm in high school (I was in hs half the day and left during early dismal to go to the local community college-- didn't have to but ain't have ? else to do); I've maintained a 4.3 since soph year; I've maintained a 4.75 all senior year; I've competed in the national naacp ACT-SO competition; I've worked all throughout high school." The fact that I was poor and had to basically raise my lil' sister because my mom sometimes had to work 3 jobs or the fact that because we were poor and I moved like 11 times before I even came to college and even had to drive 60 miles to school every day for a yr and half was just icing on the cake, or the fact that I was constantly the only Black girl in my classes and I had to put up with racists ? like this for many years is just icing on the cake. My ? was and still is on point because I have a vision and understand that my destiny is brighter than what the world expects of someone in my position. My being Black and poor just gave me a lil' bit of swag and prepared me with the strength to handle all the ? that comes along with success.
  • MacOne
    MacOne Banned Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    smh.. You know, in high school when me and all my classmates (mostly Asian and white because I was in AP classes) were discussing what schools we were applying to (I mentioned Princeton, Stanford, Harvard, Yale, Columbia, NYU, and the UCs) one of my classmates, a blonde white girl who I had been cool with for several years and who happened to be the class president said pretty much the same thing. She said, "Of course you'll get in; you're poor, Black, and a girl." I swear to you she said that. And I replied something along these lines:

"I'm sure that even if I wasn't Black and poor I would have been admitted. I am the president and founder of two organizations on campus; I'm in college while I'm in high school (I was in hs half the day and left during early dismal to go to the local community college-- didn't have to but ain't have ? else to do); I've maintained a 4.3 since soph year; I've maintained a 4.75 all senior year; I've competed in the national naacp ACT-SO competition; I've worked all throughout high school." The fact that I was poor and had to basically raise my lil' sister because my mom sometimes had to work 3 jobs or the fact that because we were poor and I moved like 11 times before I even came to college and even had to drive 60 miles to school every day for a yr and half was just icing on the cake, or the fact that I was constantly the only Black girl in my classes and I had to put up with racists ? like this for many years is just icing on the cake. My ? was and still is on point because I have a vision and understand that my destiny is brighter than what the world expects of someone in my position. My being Black and poor just gave me a lil' bit of swag and prepared me with the strength to handle all the ? that comes along with success.

IF that's you in the video it looks like Rihanna's rooster hairdo gone wrong, that's what we call swag nowadays? You benefited from affirmative action and the white man giving you special favors, as soon as you checked the African American box you were admitted, just be thankful that crackers want to make up for their sins and enjoy your time at Stanford
  • allreasoned_out
    allreasoned_out Members Posts: 2,696 ✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    MacOne wrote: »
    IF that's you in the video it looks like Rihanna's rooster hairdo gone wrong, that's what we call swag nowadays? You benefited from affirmative action and the white man giving you special favors, as soon as you checked the African American box you were admitted, just be thankful that crackers want to make up for their sins and enjoy your time at Stanford

So you're saying that if you're black, all you need to prove to admissions officers at Stanford is: that you're really black?

That's ridiculous. If it were true, then the black acceptance rate at the school would be 100% (assuming that they take students' word for it when they say that they're black). Do you really believe that?
  • famerbeen
    famerbeen Members Posts: 8
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Yes, Stanford has. Stanford looks at the entire application. The top of the lowest quartile of the entering class had a score on the first two parts of the SAT of 1330, which implies a score on the entire test of well below 2100.