fellas: how do i get rid of razor bumps/how do you properly shave?

#Kew
#Kew Members Posts: 299
edited January 2011 in The Weight Room
I need to learn how to shave with a razor cuz i tried and i got some razor bumps on my neck and it sucks. how do you guys shave? what do you use on your face? can somebody help me out?

Comments

• ICame4Pussy
    ICame4Pussy Members Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Razors not for blacks. Clippers>>>
  • panthro5000
    panthro5000 Members Posts: 169
    edited January 2011
    i got a cream for razor bumps works pretty well
  • DrMindbender122
    DrMindbender122 Members Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    I use the Gilette Pro Glide. If u use that or any of those multi-bladed razors, u HAVE to make sure u shave WITH the grain of your beard/hair. I can't tell u how many times I'd see dem white guys shave all against the grain of the hair in commercials and try doing that ? myself. I'd end up with my face and neck area looking like ground beef and feeling like my ? was literally on fire.

I still bump up here and there, but nuffin like when I 1st started shaving years ago. When that happens, I try to get the ingrown hair out with some tweezers (but don't dig; that ? can cause an infection) and wipe the area down with some alcohol or Witch Hazel.

I use a shave cream made for sensitive skin; that oatmeal ? seems to work pretty good. That and soaking your beard/face with a hot rag and brushing the hair against the grain to make the hairs stand up seems to cut down on those nasty razor bumps tremendously.

Clippers are good, but they don't get your skin all baby smooth (? seems to LOVE that ? ) and I'd still bump up here and there. I just use the clippers now to fade my beard/mustache and/or to line my ? up in between barbershop visits.
  • D-Marco
    D-Marco Members Posts: 4,308 ✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Yea i used to have the babyface look but shaving wit razors irritates my ? .

I heard they have anti bump cream u can get at Walmart but I aint tried it yet. Heard it works good. But if u use razors, gotta get them multi balde joints
  • phantom0900
    phantom0900 Members Posts: 1,313 ✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Neutrogena makes some good post, during, and after shaving cream, tho i htink all three is over ? . I just use the blue and orange gillettes they work pretty good, shave with the grain, splash some alcohol on my face afterwards. Don't shave over bumpy areas, don't make several passes over the same area. If you want a close cut you need a fresh razor, but lets be honest, most people don't notice the really fine stubble that we can feel, so don't trip over that. I used to get bumps cause I wanted the close shave possible, but it was messin up my skin. Also if you want to get more life out of your razors, wipe the blades down with a toilet paper with some alcohol to get the dirt and hair off and to dry it out. Alcohol makes water evaporate, water on the blades cause them to rust and dull, dry them after use.
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    dont use razors at all use magic shaving powder...been using this for a while and have yet to see a shaving bump....
  • DrMindbender122
    edited January 2011
    dont use razors at all use magic shaving powder...been using this for a while and have yet to see a shaving bump....

Man, I remember that ? used to have my ENTIRE house stinking up a storm...lol. Did they ever change the smell of that ? yet or no? Plus, that ? has lye in it; it literally burns the hair offa ya face. Not good for your @ all.
  • TRILLip Brooks
    TRILLip Brooks Members Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    use clippers, ? a razor
  • Sovo_Nah
    Sovo_Nah Members Posts: 2,216 ✭✭
    edited January 2011
    well, i use a razor. i also use rubbing alcohol as aftershave. ive been doing it for years. try a triple blade and lather up with some sensitive type shaving cream. im thinking of going down to a single blade because im an artist and can do nice line ups with my beard.

it takes a while to train your face but eventually the bumps go way. also, i shave against the hair groove. i shave up sometimes when i wanna get close and have skin smooth like a baby ? . like gary coleman's face.
  • Rocket Kidd
    Rocket Kidd Members Posts: 2,212 ✭✭
    edited January 2011
    props on this thread...i've had this problem myself...but i haven't seen any anti-bump cream..so i usually let the beard grow out a little bit for about 3 or 4 days then shave again.
  • Copper
    edited January 2011
    Man, I remember that ? used to have my ENTIRE house stinking up a storm...lol. Did they ever change the smell of that ? yet or no?

they have diff kinds of the same powder...but yeah it still kinda stinks...but i put mine in a jar with a lid and shake it with water
  • Copper
    edited January 2011
    Magic-Shaving-PowderRGB.jpg
  • goodlookinout
    goodlookinout Members Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    For the Bumps try this stuff called Skin Tight my barber told me bout it. you can get it from a beauty supply it come in regular or Extra strength. that ? works. it cost tho but it works.

BCS009.jpg
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    edited January 2011
    tend-skin-in-growing-hair-solution-236ml.jpg
    really works or atleast ? worked for me haven't had razor bumps in like 2-3 years now
  • rico_ENS
    rico_ENS Members Posts: 896 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    black dudes gotta use clippers or else ya become some pepperonie face ass ? thats y black barbers aint ? ..
  • RebelliousIntrovert
    RebelliousIntrovert Members Posts: 214
    edited January 2011
    Well I shave with these, the same things your barber uses, they are like a #0001 blade, & I use the regular & T-shaped blades, keep them properly oiled, sharpened & aligned...very rarely do I get a hair bump, but when I do..
    4SV8_2j9Id9Za9AFBBfBlxbeN9QE1She6AnP-AvD2LqdQmu7O8XWdkjB3idU7WcLH4Y_c26f6UlR5iBQp3iXv7X_Ta0nH-k67yp3yRrM-MAjTAj9xEOZ6sVN8ofiCBJSqJPMIgluZw

So when I do get an occasional hair bump my barbershop sells this stuff, it works wonders..called Kiti Kiti.

yhst-2519492840586_2142_973843205
  • #Kew
    edited January 2011
    thanks for the tips so far. i gotta learn with a razor blade cuz i'm going into the navy in a few months and we gotta shave with razors...
  • UPTOWN
    UPTOWN Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 13,009 Regulator
    edited January 2011
    Well I shave with these, the same things your barber uses, they are like a #0001 blade, & I use the regular & T-shaped blades, keep them properly oiled, sharpened & aligned...very rarely do I get a hair bump, but when I do..
    4SV8_2j9Id9Za9AFBBfBlxbeN9QE1She6AnP-AvD2LqdQmu7O8XWdkjB3idU7WcLH4Y_c26f6UlR5iBQp3iXv7X_Ta0nH-k67yp3yRrM-MAjTAj9xEOZ6sVN8ofiCBJSqJPMIgluZw

So when I do get an occasional hair bump my barbershop sells this stuff, it works wonders..called Kiti Kiti.

yhst-2519492840586_2142_973843205
    those are the exact same ones i have ... how do you sharpen them tho??
  • UPTOWN
    edited January 2011
    #Kew wrote: »
    thanks for the tips so far. i gotta learn with a razor blade cuz i'm going into the navy in a few months and we gotta shave with razors...

awww ? my nigg ... you're ? either way because during boot camp its not like your gonna be just chilling getting fresh in the morning ... (unless things have changed drastically). ? is like a drill right from the start of revaly (spl) you get like what 8 minutes to make your bunk, ? , brush your teeth, shave, and get dressed. showers are the night before ... so your def gonna be missing spots and bumping up. after that when you get stationed you can get all your regular ? that you want anyway

i could be wrong cause ? may have changed the way our country is now ... but i doubt it changed much ... maybe they give you 12 mins now LOL
  • Pond Scum
    Pond Scum Members Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011

same with me. luckily the pharmacy up the street sells the blades so i just toss em every now and then.

once every couple of years i get brave and decide to try my luck with a razor and whatever new wonder product or technique i heard about and about a week later my ? is looking like it's made of coarse grain sandpaper.

? a smooth shave.
  • dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Here's your perfect answer, because I went through the same thing. Use clippers, and apply either "Tend Skin" or "Skin Tight" to the shaved surface and then wash hands thoroughly, because that ? strong and will dry up your hands. Then apply again the next morning and let it marinate again.

close thread
  • UPTOWN
    edited January 2011
    binstar wrote: »
    same with me. luckily the pharmacy up the street sells the blades so i just toss em every now and then.

once every couple of years i get brave and decide to try my luck with a razor and whatever new wonder product or technique i heard about and about a week later my ? is looking like it's made of coarse grain sandpaper.

? a smooth shave.

im bout to google that ? .... cause i know for a fact my drug store doesnt have them. and the store i bought them from moved ... i guess if i get the name they will have a web site tho
  • DrMindbender122
    edited January 2011
    For the Bumps try this stuff called Skin Tight my barber told me bout it. you can get it from a beauty supply it come in regular or Extra strength. that ? works. it cost tho but it works.

BCS009.jpg

I used to use this stuff. It was pretty good for a few weeks. Then I guess my skin got used to it, cuz it stopped working as good as when I 1st started using it.

The chinese stores around here sell damn near everything except the kitchen sink. The extra strength version of this stuff was running about $10/bottle like 4 or 5 yrs ago. I can imagine what it goes for nowadays.
  • #Kew
    edited January 2011
    awww ? my nigg ... you're ? either way because during boot camp its not like your gonna be just chilling getting fresh in the morning ... (unless things have changed drastically). ? is like a drill right from the start of revaly (spl) you get like what 8 minutes to make your bunk, ? , brush your teeth, shave, and get dressed. showers are the night before ... so your def gonna be missing spots and bumping up. after that when you get stationed you can get all your regular ? that you want anyway

i could be wrong cause ? may have changed the way our country is now ... but i doubt it changed much ... maybe they give you 12 mins now LOL

how did you keep from getting bumps while in boot camp....
  • DrMindbender122
    edited January 2011

When the blades on my clippers get dull, I just take them to the chinese spot and they sharpen the ? outta dem joints. I usually get them sharpened a few times before I end up having to buy another blade altogether.