fellas: how do i get rid of razor bumps/how do you properly shave?

Comments

• Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    I get them ? on my neck really bad sometimes. I got a after shave that seems to help a little bit.
  • UPTOWN
    UPTOWN Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 13,009 Regulator
    edited January 2011
    #Kew wrote: »
    how did you keep from getting bumps while in boot camp....

you cant LOL ... thats the whole thing
  • UPTOWN
    UPTOWN Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 13,009 Regulator
    edited January 2011
    When the blades on my clippers get dull, I just take them to the chinese spot and they sharpen the ? outta dem joints. I usually get them sharpened a few times before I end up having to buy another blade altogether.

ur in philly right??? maybe ill try that

i have sharpened mine since i bought em but they still make bleed if i knick myself accidentally
  • DrMindbender122
    DrMindbender122 Members Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011

i have sharpened mine since i bought em but they still make bleed if i knick myself accidentally

If you're familiar with the Philly area, I take mine to the chinese beauty supply store on 69th Street in Upper Darby, PA (Delaware County, just outside of West Philly) a few doors away from the Tower Theater. They usually take an hour or two to sharpen your blades. They'll adjust them for you, too; shouldn't have any more problems with the nicking & bleeding.
  • DRO
    DRO Members Posts: 9,943 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    #kew wrote: »
    i need to learn how to shave with a razor cuz i tried and i got some razor bumps on my neck and it sucks. How do you guys shave? What do you use on your face? Can somebody help me out?

ummm, why are u shavin the back of ur neck?...

Anyway.. I had then "neck bumps".... Nothign and i mean nothign worked...alchol, bump remover... Went to the doctor and he gave me a px for "clindamycin phosphate"..? work wonders
  • DRO
    edited January 2011
    When the blades on my clippers get dull, I just take them to the chinese spot and they sharpen the ? outta dem joints. I usually get them sharpened a few times before I end up having to buy another blade altogether.

SHAPEN THEM ? YA SELF...

GO TO LOWES OR HOMEDEPOT AND GET A "SHAPENING STONE"...

GO TO YOUTUBE AND SEARCH HOW TO SHARPER CLIPPERS... ? WORK GREAT!!.. DID MINE MY SELF.... MATTER OF FACT THIS IS THE STONE I BOUGHT... IT WA SLIKE 25$.. BUT THEY HAVE CHEAPER ONES

http://www.amazon.com/TRI-6-Arkansas-TRI-HONE-Sharpening-System/dp/B00062BIT4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1295141906&sr=8-1

^^^^^^^^^^^

THEY GOT EM CHEAPER
  • DRO
    edited January 2011
    i used to use this stuff. It was pretty good for a few weeks. Then i guess my skin got used to it, cuz it stopped working as good as when i 1st started using it.

The chinese stores around here sell damn near everything except the kitchen sink. The extra strength version of this stuff was running about $10/bottle like 4 or 5 yrs ago. I can imagine what it goes for nowadays.

yeah, i was using that junk too.... And after a while, i got used to it and it stopped workin..
  • DrMindbender122
    DrMindbender122 Members Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    ummm, why are u shavin the back of ur neck?...

Anyway.. I had then "neck bumps".... Nothign and i mean nothign worked...alchol, bump remover... Went to the doctor and he gave me a px for "clindamycin phosphate"..? work wonders

Razor bumps themselves are bad enough. But them neck bumps are disgusting. A dude I used to work with had dem joints. ? had his neck looking like his it was deep fried in some Crisco grease way too long. They make people's necks look like a "100 Grand" chocolate bar or something. Nasty, just plain nasty.

Guess I'm lucky that I never had them. Out of curiosity, what did your Doc say caused those ? to form in the 1st place?
  • DRO
    edited January 2011
    razor bumps themselves are bad enough. But them neck bumps are disgusting. A dude i used to work with had dem joints. ? had his neck looking like his it was deep fried in some crisco grease way too long. They make people's necks look like a "100 grand" chocolate bar or something. Nasty, just plain nasty.

Guess i'm lucky that i never had them. Out of curiosity, what did your doc say caused those ? to form in the 1st place?

hahahaha... Hahahah my ? wasnt nooooooooooooowhere near that bad!... It was just a few, but they kept returning....

I just told him about them and he said ok..., wrote that scription for me and i been good ever since....

Some people are just prone to getting them... I kept my hair washed....

But most ofthe time, its ingrown hairs and that causes irratation...

If you get ur hair tapered in the back, it works good cause aint no hair back there... That goes for any ointment you put on ya skin...
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011

Guess I'm lucky that I never had them. Out of curiosity, what did your Doc say caused those ? to form in the 1st place?

when u cut a hair folicle but u dont cut it close enuff and the folicle curls back under itself into the hole it grew out of and skin grows over it...
  • ineedpussy
    ineedpussy Members Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
  • ShencotheMC
    ShencotheMC Members Posts: 26,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    If you're familiar with the Philly area, I take mine to the chinese beauty supply store on 69th Street in Upper Darby, PA (Delaware County, just outside of West Philly) a few doors away from the Tower Theater. They usually take an hour or two to sharpen your blades. They'll adjust them for you, too; shouldn't have any more problems with the nicking & bleeding.

This ? coming around my way and ? . I know the exact store you talking about too
  • Generic
    Generic Members Posts: 1,043 ✭✭
    edited January 2011
    drtycity wrote: »
    i need ?

lmao. use clippers, no razors.
  • T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    I use clippers, If only I knew how to thin my side burns to a point myself, trim my beard down a lil then it'll keep me from saving $10 every other week :-(
  • robdaze151
    robdaze151 Banned Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Straight razor on my head. That creme shave ? comes in a tube ready made down here and doesn't smell. I use that for my face and line up with clippers. I use the teas tree afterwards and i'm cool.

Black folks really shouldn't use the razor. the way our hair curls ? everything up. If your black and you can shave with a razor consider yourself lucks
  • RebelliousIntrovert
    RebelliousIntrovert Members Posts: 214
    edited January 2011
    those are the exact same ones i have ... how do you sharpen them tho??

There is a commercial beauty supply I go to called Purtle, they pick up a lot of the clippers for local barbers & sharpen & return them. I just drop mine off & in the few days they call me to pick them up, sharpened & aligned.
  • T-Rel
    T-Rel Members Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    <<<<<<<<shaves once every 3 weeks
  • willhustle
    willhustle Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Razors not for blacks. Clippers>>>

And that's the truth on that I found this out when I was about 18-19. I find that I'm just better off using clippers instead and besides most razors tear apart you're skin and leave nasty bumps on the face.
  • RebelliousIntrovert
    RebelliousIntrovert Members Posts: 214
    edited January 2011
    when u cut a hair folicle but u dont cut it close enuff and the folicle curls back under itself into the hole it grew out of and skin grows over it...

Yurrrrp, basically an ingrown hair, hair is tricky as hell, I remember my barber getting a hair right under the clear layer of his finger once, he said it happens from time to time & it doesn't hurt, just itches like hell. When you see people what that Crunch Bar syndrome, it's actually a lot of hair under there & a fluid build up cuz the hair has curled & re-entered..? ..ugh ...*Runs to throw up*.

My father was in the Marines & he has Pseudofolliculitis Barbae a medical condition where he couldn't shave without getting this , so they let him wear his beard. I just thank ? I inherited his nice teeth & not his Pseudo problems, Lol.
  • bull6599
    bull6599 Members Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    I just use clippers and shaving cream. Finding the right kind of shaving cream is key though. It helps the hairs on my face stand up so I can get a closer shave.
  • Sh0t
    Sh0t Members Posts: 1,162
    edited January 2011
    I get razor bumps badly if I use most disposable razors.

I get the best results from the depilatories. I also own a very nice safety razor i use with the coarsest setting.
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    fusionrazor.jpg
    +
    AAAADP37eaEAAAAAAGL18w.jpg?v=1249519168000
    =
    Smoother than Montana Fishburne's photoshopped skin:
    Montana-Fishburne-Blackmen-Magazine-Cover-ICEDOTCOM-460x613.jpg

^^^Maybe not that smooth, but smooth, without bumps.
  • Well Got Dam
    Well Got Dam Members Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    I use a two bladed razor on my dome get razor bumps on neck thats it

use this on my face, cuts closer than a muthafucka........................................ANDIS29605.jpg
  • Sh0t
    Sh0t Members Posts: 1,162
    edited January 2011
    Multi-blade disposable razor wrecks havoc on my face sir.

Each blade drags the hair up, which means the final cut hair lives far below the surface of the skin. Curly hair, the hair grows sideways right into the pore, voila: ingrown hair.

I use one of these in the shower, with the blade set as high as possible so it cuts as shallow as possible. Face will look smooth, but feel somewhat rough. The depilatories are better, but sometimes I don't have the patience or time for them.

31YkASiwlcL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
  • 1of1
    1of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Gillette Fusion Pro Glide

Aveeno Therapeutic Shave Gel
    Tend Skin..on a towel then rub on sensitive skin areas where bumps usually form
    Pinaud "Clubman" Aftershave Lotion
    Nivea Post Shave Balm

Don't press down too hard with the blade when shaving sensitive skin areas

I shave my head, I'll never ever shave my face or the front of my neck with a blade again in life.

If you have extra money, go to "The Art of Shaving." They'll probably recommend a pre shave oil and a vibrating multi blade razor. You'll probably have to spend a good amount though.