Underground Super Group: Create your own, 4 members, ANY combo of Producer's/Emcee's

2»

Comments

• MastaAceTheGOAT
    MastaAceTheGOAT Members Posts: 724
    edited January 2011
    RuffDraft wrote: »
    Props, would you want Exile to collab with K-Os or would you think Exile's production would be spoiled by the introduction of k-os on the boards?

id keep k-os of the boards, id just let exile do all the tracks. he knows how to make a really cohesive album
  • RuffDraft
    RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    id keep k-os of the boards, id just let exile do all the tracks. he knows how to make a really cohesive album

He does, but then k-os has Joyful Rebellion under his belt... that album was cohesive and a classic... he also could add to a completely new dimension of beats for Exile... wouldn't you at least think it'd be cool for them to experiment on a few tracks?
  • streetmason
    streetmason Members Posts: 75
    edited January 2011
    rap artist: pastor troy

producers: ski beats, monsta beatz, lex luger
  • MastaAceTheGOAT
    MastaAceTheGOAT Members Posts: 724
    edited January 2011
    He does, but then k-os has Joyful Rebellion under his belt... that album was cohesive and a classic... he also could add to a completely new dimension of beats for Exile... wouldn't you at least think it'd be cool for them to experiment on a few tracks?

i think k-os is dope but i dont think hes touching exile and i prefer cohesive albums with the same sound sonically. the only album that comes to mind thats cohesive with different producers would be the salvations (just blaze, nottz, illmind and 9th wonder etc)
  • RuffDraft
    edited January 2011
    rap artist: pastor troy

producers: ski beats, monsta beatz, lex luger

Pastor Troy's your favourite artist from the underground?
    i think k-os is dope but i dont think hes touching exile and i prefer cohesive albums with the same sound sonically. the only album that comes to mind thats cohesive with different producers would be the salvations (just blaze, nottz, illmind and 9th wonder etc)

I understand where you're coming from, it's the same with Kno producing all tracks for the CunninLynguists as of late even though Deacon is dope...

I just think that they've both made cohesive albums that are arguable classics/future classics, I think they could craft a sound using each others ideas and pro's to create a new sound that would be cohesive and succinct throughout....
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    lol @ you bringing Nujabes back from the dead haha

That second group is dope...

how many tracks Dilla (rip) "produced" since he passed?
  • streetmason
    edited January 2011
    Pastor Troy's your favourite artist from the underground?

I understand where you're coming from, it's the same with Kno producing all tracks for the CunninLynguists as of late even though Deacon is dope...

I just think that they've both made cohesive albums that are arguable classics/future classics, I think they could craft a sound using each others ideas and pro's to create a new sound that would be cohesive and succinct throughout....

he is one of my favorite underground artists . . . he is popular enough to not be considered an underground artist, but has never went gold . . . the problem is some of his best songs are not heard because they are on albums that have the same repetitive theme and beats . . .

i think if you gave him production from producers that can play a sound (ski beats, monsta beatz from curren$y's pilot talk series) where he thrives on . . . (which are not crunk beats, but laidback beats with storytelling lyrics) and then give him a theme or conceptual album, a more conscious album . . . i think it would be an awesome album

lex luger would have one or two beats just to make it consistent to his crunk fanbase

think how david banner reinvented his sound with 9th wonder on "death of a pop star"
  • RuffDraft
    edited January 2011
    a.mann wrote: »
    how many tracks Dilla (rip) "produced" since he passed?

How many 'super groups' will Nujabes be in since his passing? Or Dilla for that matter? I see your point, but this is a making a group thread, not a bringing dead people back to life thread.

What's your group?
    he is one of my favorite underground artists . . . he is popular enough to not be considered an underground artist, but has never went gold . . . the problem is some of his best songs are not heard because they are on albums that have the same repetitive theme and beats . . .

i think if you gave him production from producers that can play a sound (ski beats, monsta beatz from curren$y's pilot talk series) where he thrives on . . . (which are not crunk beats, but laidback beats with storytelling lyrics) and then give him a theme or conceptual album, a more conscious album . . . i think it would be an awesome album

lex luger would have one or two beats just to make it consistent to his crunk fanbase

think how david banner reinvented his sound with 9th wonder on "death of a pop star"

Dope, I'll check out some of his best tracks if you post them up... definitely agree with you about working with a good producer, it's the same for many Artists, the one's who are successful always have good producers with them, underground or mainstream, after all, it's the music that powers the albums, not just the lyrics that create stories with the music.
  • streetmason
    edited January 2011

this was a conceptual song . . . so you search from here, make up your opinion on what i said
  • RuffDraft
    edited February 2011
    Props Mason, completely missed this post :tu

Feel free to drop a second group :tu I'm going to think of the second group on my hypothetical label lol. Just remember to give your opinions on why you've selected those 4 members!
  • traestar
    traestar Members Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Team Justus League

Producers:
    9th Wonder
    Khrysis
    Nicolay
    Slicemysta

Artists:
    Edgar Allen Floe
    Cesar Comanche
    L.E.G.A.C.Y.
    Joe Shudda
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    Latin Invasion ( cant think of anything else)

Chino XL
    Immortal Technique
    Termanology
    Big Lou
  • traestar
    edited February 2011
    nujerz84 wrote: »
    Latin Invasion ( cant think of anything else)

Chino XL
    Immortal Technique
    Termanology
    Big Lou

Yea I like this lineup!!
  • just.might.b.ok
    just.might.b.ok Members Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    MCs:
    7L & Esoteric
    Blueprint
    Celph Titled
    Sadistik

Producers
    Kno
    DJ Premier
    DJ Shadow
  • RuffDraft
    edited February 2011
    MCs:
    7L & Esoteric
    Blueprint
    Celph Titled
    Sadistik

Producers
    Kno
    DJ Premier
    DJ Shadow

That's a slick line up of producers, feeling Sadistik and Celph Titled on there as well as Blueprint too. Has his album dropped yet???
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    haha on other forums we used to have these threads and i always put Joe budden Royce and Crooked I in a group (didnt know of Ortiz back then) now they made a group! was awesome.

My list.

Black Thought
    Phonte
    Blu
    Murs

for various producers i think 9th Wonder and Danger Mouse and Questlove would go nice with them. Nottz and Exile aswell. 3 out of the 4 collaborated on how i got over and i think it was my favorite track on the album it really mixed well. i picked murs cuz i see him kind of as a similar artist as the other 3.
  • Fly_King
    Fly_King Members Posts: 136
    edited February 2011
    JuryDuty

Producers:
    Chuck Inglish/Scram Jones/Cool & Dre/Justice League

Emcees:
    Nipsey Hussle/Blu/J. Cole/Fashawn
  • traestar
    edited February 2011
    Lou Cypher wrote: »
    haha on other forums we used to have these threads and i always put Joe budden Royce and Crooked I in a group (didnt know of Ortiz back then) now they made a group! was awesome.

My list.

Black Thought
    Phonte
    Blu
    Murs

for various producers i think 9th Wonder and Danger Mouse and Questlove would go nice with them. Nottz and Exile aswell. 3 out of the 4 collaborated on how i got over and i think it was my favorite track on the album it really mixed well. i picked murs cuz i see him kind of as a similar artist as the other 3.

They should do a track together immediately, thats how much I love this matchup!!
  • RuffDraft
    edited February 2011

My list.

Black Thought
    Phonte
    Blu
    Murs

hahaha well, can only hope that the emcees in this thread try to do something for us, because they're all good match ups so far!

That's a great list of emcee's, although I'd controversially leave Murs out... he does have the potential to shine amongst the other mentioned emcee's, but he's not on the same level as them from a personal perspective, this group would be better as a trio. I also think that Phonte could lead the group with his vocals and also give them more of a love twist, they could be the new Lucy Pearl... haha but seriously, Phonte would do it and they could be like the new Foreign Exchange.

If you've got Phonte as well, you have to have Nicolay amongst the producers, IMO. He makes Phonte who he is and would really bring something fresh to Blu and Black Thought. Drafting in Questlove is a nice move though!
    Fly_King wrote: »
    JuryDuty

Producers:
    Chuck Inglish/Scram Jones/Cool & Dre/Justice League

Emcees:
    Nipsey Hussle/Blu/J. Cole/Fashawn

Fresh line up of emcees... definitely a good look for a takeover of the music industry; especially with Cool & Dre amongst their producers...
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2011
    hahaha well, can only hope that the emcees in this thread try to do something for us, because they're all good match ups so far!

That's a great list of emcee's, although I'd controversially leave Murs out... he does have the potential to shine amongst the other mentioned emcee's, but he's not on the same level as them from a personal perspective, this group would be better as a trio. I also think that Phonte could lead the group with his vocals and also give them more of a love twist, they could be the new Lucy Pearl... haha but seriously, Phonte would do it and they could be like the new Foreign Exchange.

If you've got Phonte as well, you have to have Nicolay amongst the producers, IMO. He makes Phonte who he is and would really bring something fresh to Blu and Black Thought. Drafting in Questlove is a nice move though!

Fresh line up of emcees... definitely a good look for a takeover of the music industry; especially with Cool & Dre amongst their producers...

Yeah i agree about murs haha i was struggling to find another MC to put in the group i would have picked Dice Raw but hes already with the roots. Maybe replace Murs with J. Cole. i bet that would be a sick ass group. and Rapping Phonte is way better than Singing phonte. i do think he would be cool to put on a couple hooks but i want him to spit some bars and not be the harmony for the group.

Yes now that i think of it Replace murs with cole haha.
  • RuffDraft
    edited February 2011
    Yeah i agree about murs haha i was struggling to find another MC to put in the group i would have picked Dice Raw but hes already with the roots. Maybe replace Murs with J. Cole. i bet that would be a sick ass group. and Rapping Phonte is way better than Singing phonte. i do think he would be cool to put on a couple hooks but i want him to spit some bars and not be the harmony for the group.

Yes now that i think of it Replace murs with cole haha.

haha I think that'd be fine with being a trio of emcee's though, I don't think the inclusion is needed, but it's a nice addition nonetheless!

Definitely agree with rapping Phonte being better than singing Phonte, however; Connected will always be his best album... and that was due to him reaching places that other emcee's can't touch - real life love issues delivered with an honesty that really has the power to divide that record from the rest. But I think his soulful direction would definitely help the other members... and Black Though with Blu could really expand their horizons going in that direction - at least for one record.