whats the best workout in your opinion?

Options
the1nonlyruru
the1nonlyruru Members Posts: 1,055 ✭✭
edited January 2011 in The Weight Room
i'm 5'5-5'6 and weigh 260. i want to be down to 220 and i'd like to know whats the best workout around. i see alot and don't know where to go. i hear about p90x and insanity but to me they just sound like the trend workouts. any supplement ideas also? much appreciated

Comments

• its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    p90x is the real deal but 5'5/260? you might be a little too tubby you might want to lose some weight first, start off with light jogging and hit the gym every other day, and start eating right "consistently" i mean breakfast, lunch and dinner, it all starts in the kitchen but it takes discipline, people talk about its hard to quit smoking but its harder to quit eating ? that your used to eating, in the end its all worth it
  • MAKAVELI25
    MAKAVELI25 Members Posts: 5,595 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    i'm 5'5-5'6 and weigh 260. i want to be down to 220 and i'd like to know whats the best workout around. i see alot and don't know where to go. i hear about p90x and insanity but to me they just sound like the trend workouts. any supplement ideas also? much appreciated

Still too heavy @ 220. Not trying to discourage, but I'm a lot taller than you and if I hit 220 I'd definitely not be happy.
  • the1nonlyruru
    the1nonlyruru Members Posts: 1,055 ✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    MAKAVELI25 wrote: »
    Still too heavy @ 220. Not trying to discourage, but I'm a lot taller than you and if I hit 220 I'd definitely not be happy.

i know that much but i'm trying to make that my first goal then work my way down some more
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    that heavy at that height? just tryin jogging and running for right now....and work on ur diet....
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Legend in Two Sports Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    mods are on some real ? today being this hasnt been moved ...

but basically what du said ... leave the sophisticated workouts for the ? and gymrats ... get ya jog on my ? and watch what u eating on .
  • whatevathehell
    whatevathehell Members Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    damn, im 5'6" and IM 172 right now...and I feel fat as hell cuz Im used to being in the 145-155 weight range. I gotta agree with what the majority are saying and thats run and eat right. weights ....I dont know. you can always do pushups, pullups if you can, and situps. then start with the weight once you get under 190 or something.
  • BP OIL SPILL FACE
    BP OIL SPILL FACE Members Posts: 2,526 ✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I'm 5'7" 230lbs and built like a tank! Working out 3-4 times a week.
  • BP OIL SPILL FACE
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I'm 5'11, 175-180 pounds mostly solid. If your under 5'10 and over 200 pounds, you're either on HGH or overweight.

*has never done HGH or steroids before, and is not overweight*
  • BP OIL SPILL FACE
    edited January 2011
    Options
    It's funny how people think that if you're over-200lbs, that means you're overweight. Last time I checked, people like myself, works out a lot and doesn't need 'roids to bulk them up. ? are funny. lol
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Im 190 with 12-13% bodyfat. I gotta partner thats like 220, maybe 5'10" - 11" and ripped to ? .

Lifting increases your metabolism. You should start if you wanna lose fat.

Keep it simple. I used to do a bunch of time and energy wasting ? but now I only lift 4 days a week:

Sunday - Legs
    Tuesday - Upper back
    Thursday - Lower back (deadlifts) and Calves
    Saturday - Chest

I just hit the compound movements (weighted dips, weighted pullups, squats, stiff leg deadlifts, deadlifts, all types of rows, & bench) and that's that. I don't waste time with direct arm work cuz doing this blasts the arms anyway. I do cardio 2-3 times a week and if I'm bored crank out some body weight dips/pullups on a cardio day. The only machine exercises I mess with are Leg Press, Calve machines, and Leg Curls. The rest of them ? is for the birds.

This is the simplest and most effective workout routine I've ever done.

For cardio I do steady state low/mod intensity on a stationary bike and sometimes elliptical. I lost the most fat doing early morning (before breakfast) on the stationary bike. Don't believe the Internet hype HIIT is absolute ? .

Eat right, you can't out train a bad diet. The fork is the lightest but hardest weight to master.
  • leftcoastkev
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I'm 5'11, 175-180 pounds mostly solid. If your under 5'10 and over 200 pounds, you're either on HGH or overweight.

Either that or you know what your doing..........
  • truth spitter
    truth spitter Members Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Im 190 with 12-13% bodyfat. I gotta partner thats like 220, maybe 5'10" - 11" and ripped to ? .

Lifting increases your metabolism. You should start if you wanna lose fat.

Keep it simple. I used to do a bunch of time and energy wasting ? but now I only lift 4 days a week:

Sunday - Legs
    Tuesday - Upper back
    Thursday - Lower back (deadlifts) and Calves
    Saturday - Chest

I just hit the compound movements (weighted dips, weighted pullups, squats, stiff leg deadlifts, deadlifts, all types of rows, & bench) and that's that. I don't waste time with direct arm work cuz doing this blasts the arms anyway. I do cardio 2-3 times a week and if I'm bored crank out some body weight dips/pullups on a cardio day. The only machine exercises I mess with are Leg Press, Calve machines, and Leg Curls. The rest of them ? is for the birds.

This is the simplest and most effective workout routine I've ever done.

For cardio I do steady state low/mod intensity on a stationary bike and sometimes elliptical. I lost the most fat doing early morning (before breakfast) on the stationary bike. Don't believe the Internet hype HIIT is absolute ? .

Eat right, you can't out train a bad diet. The fork is the lightest but hardest weight to master.

Have u ever tried it?
  • truth spitter
    truth spitter Members Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    It's funny how people think that if you're over-200lbs, that means you're overweight. Last time I checked, people like myself, works out a lot and doesn't need 'roids to bulk them up. ? are funny. lol

but you are overweight....whats ur body fat percentage Moe
  • BP OIL SPILL FACE
    edited January 2011
    Options
    but you are overweight....whats ur body fat percentage Moe

Yeah, and the Seattle Supersonics still exist...see what I did there? Anyways, I don't know my body fat, but seeing as though I rarely eat out, rarely eat junk food, rarely drink pop or liquor, and workout a lot, I'm nowhere near overweight. Don't get mad at me, because I don't need no steroids to be bulky; just give me a cup of water before working out and water or Gatorade during or after I workout and I'm good to go.
  • leftcoastkev
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Have u ever tried it?

Definitley. I did HIIT 3 times a week for about 2 months straight.

For me, all that happened was that my intensity on most of my lifting went down. Deadlifts plateaued. Bench stalled. Between the HIIT and the lifting recovery got worse (with need to recover joints as well). And on top of that fat loss basically stalled as well. Sure my breathing and sprinting got alot better, but if there is no noticeable fat loss other than maybe 2 pounds here and there then I'm gonna cut that from my program.

For me and my body, an iPod and 45-60 minutes on the bike in the morning or 15 on the elliptical and 30 on the bike is all i need. Fasted (or after 10G BCAAs, HMB, and caffeine pill). Sometimes I may do some intervals in the first 5 minutes to drop insulin, but not crazy high intensity. i saw better fat loss, better recovery, with the bike and elliptical and these 2 are much easier on the joints which makes lifting sessions better.

I got a book from Lyle McDonald "the stubborn fat solution" which is very enlightening. He supports low to moderate intensity cardio as well.
  • J-GUTTA
    J-GUTTA Members Posts: 9,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    p90x is the real deal but 5'5/260? you might be a little too tubby you might want to lose some weight first, start off with light jogging and hit the gym every other day, and start eating right "consistently" i mean breakfast, lunch and dinner, it all starts in the kitchen but it takes discipline, people talk about its hard to quit smoking but its harder to quit eating ? that your used to eating, in the end its all worth it

What you eat is so big if you don't change your diet it defeats the purpose.
    Pullups, right now, I'm doing 120 a day, 4 sets of 30 but that ? gets you ripped quick. Chest workouts and some cardio, calves and leg extensions is a quick full body workout.

Man from experience yo doing one pull up at that height and weight is going to madd difficult if he hasn't been working out. I couldn't do one to save my life when I started B. ? was sad. But with every bit of advise we will give t/s consistency is the key because it's madd easy to fall off.
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    best workout is whatever works for you but do something. you should try running everyday, watch what you eat, and cut soda out PERIOD

unless u look like Maurice Jones Drew, your overweight
  • BP OIL SPILL FACE
    edited January 2011
    Options
    rap doctor wrote: »
    best workout is whatever works for you but do something. you should try running everyday, watch what you eat, and cut soda out PERIOD

unless u look like Maurice Jones Drew, your overweight

I look like Maurice Jones Drew. That's like saying "Unless you're an alcoholic, you're not supposed to drink". How stupid can you sound?
  • leftcoastkev
    edited January 2011
    Options

At 260, concentrate on Diet and Cardio and 3 weightlifting sessions a week -centered around Deadlifts (Back), Bench Press (Chest), and Squats (Legs).

Do some accessory exercises for each workout but until you drop some weight (and WHILE you have some weight) those 3 exercises above will build up the muscle mass you do have under the excess weight you have. When you get down to 210 or so is when I would start with pull ups and dips. At 260 and without building up the muscle pullups will be a challenge to your muscles and joints and "chest style" dips may become hell on your shoulders.

Buy the Rippletoes Starting Strength DVD ($25) to get the form down on the above movements. It will help with form. http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Strength-Basic-Barbell-Training/dp/B001U9FDP2

For Supplements: Whey Protein (AST brand or ON, ON HydroWhey tastes the best) and BCAAs, I do some other Sups (Creating, HMB, Beta Alanine, Caffeine) but truthfully you really won't "need" them.
  • Dupac
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I'm 5'7" 230lbs and built like a tank! Working out 3-4 times a week.

naw yo.. i'm prollie built similiar to you,

i'm 6 foot even 260....

and i know i'm over weight....@ 225 i'd look like a superhero and i'd still be over weight homie.....in all realness i need to be 200-215 range...but i already know i'm likely never to drop anythign under 230 again in my life...

5'7" even if u a muscular ? ....230 is too much weight to be carrying around.. you should easly be in the 175 range....190 at the most.....and u could still be mad muscular...
  • MAKAVELI25
    edited January 2011
    Options
    dusouljah wrote: »
    naw yo.. i'm prollie built similiar to you,

i'm 6 foot even 260....

and i know i'm over weight....@ 225 i'd look like a superhero and i'd still be over weight homie.....in all realness i need to be 200-215 range...but i already know i'm likely never to drop anythign under 230 again in my life...

5'7" even if u a muscular ? ....230 is too much weight to be carrying around.. you should easly be in the 175 range....190 at the most.....and u could still be mad muscular...

No ? the 10th power, but you were looking a lot healthier in that new avi with your girl than the one with the BK Hat on.
  • MAKAVELI25
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Btw, this is my workout story. I went from this:
    cob2f.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    To this:
    jobjk.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
  • Dupac
    edited January 2011
    Options
    MAKAVELI25 wrote: »
    No ? the 10th power, but you were looking a lot healthier in that new avi with your girl than the one with the BK Hat on.

yo....

that bkc rownwas from '06.. i was pushing 280 then....
    i'm easily 20 pounds lighter now....and losing....
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    im 6'2 245...im tryna get down to 205...i just run with sweat bag suit on.if u broke run with a trash bag under ur shirt..n lift weights...its hard b cuz i work alot...n i started cutn down on the stuff i eat
  • Dupac
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Max-b wrote: »
    im 6'2 245...im tryna get down to 205...i just run with sweat bag suit on.if u broke run with a trash bag under ur shirt..n lift weights...its hard b cuz i work alot...n i started cutn down on the stuff i eat

yo, while that works up a great sweat, all ur losing is water weight....and ur skin is not breathing at all.. thta's ? is mad dangerous, and u could dehydrate mad fast...

i get what ur trying, but ? like sewat bags is strictly for making weight at the last minute.. not for training or working out purposes....

if ur just trying to get up a good sweat, wear eith er layers, or something like underarmor...

u'll still sweat, but your skin will breath.. and please drink lots of water.....

it's the cardio ur body really needs.....sweat is only the body's way of keeping your temapture cool....never forget that.....