G.I. Joe and Transformers

Options
Biggwillie
Biggwillie Members Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2011 in Lights, Camera, Action!
Did the "life like" remake of these films do justice to the original cartoon. My opinion, G.I Joe did and Transformers didnt. Megatron was what kind of transformer again in the movie??? How hard was it to transform into a gun? I know the Volkswagen Beetle is a little dated so I will let them pass on Bumblebee. What the heck was Devistator??? some kinda monster? They could not make like just one robot combined with all of the contruction vehicals? However G.I. Joe was simple and to the point of G.I. Joe vs Cobra. Your basic characters in their prospecitve element. The cartoon movies of both of these were great.

Comments

• rapmastermind
    rapmastermind Members Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Biggwillie wrote: »
    Did the "life like" remake of these films do justice to the original cartoon. My opinion, G.I Joe did and Transformers didnt. Megatron was what kind of transformer again in the movie??? How hard was it to transform into a gun? I know the Volkswagen Beetle is a little dated so I will let them pass on Bumblebee. What the heck was Devistator??? some kinda monster? They could not make like just one robot combined with all of the contruction vehicals? However G.I. Joe was simple and to the point of G.I. Joe vs Cobra. Your basic characters in their prospecitve element. The cartoon movies of both of these were great.

R U Kidding? G.I. Joe movie was average and as a fan of the cartoon they did not do a good job making the movie. "Transformers" felt like TRANSFORMERS, they did a way better job making it into a film. Cobra Commander looked wack as well as Destro.
  • Biggwillie
    edited January 2011
    Options
    R U Kidding? G.I. Joe movie was average and as a fan of the cartoon they did not do a good job making the movie. "Transformers" felt like TRANSFORMERS, they did a way better job making it into a film. Cobra Commander looked wack as well as Destro.

I respect your opinion. I just felt like Tranformers was about the humans and had too many human storylines. I was so ampted up to see the all the construction vehicals line up and I just new Devistator was going to form and reck shop. Instead some Aliens vs Preditor vacuume cleaner was formed and had me scratching my head. Then the two goofy Scions were just pointless. G.I. Joe to me made a movie that was almost a prequal to what could be more great movies. It showed what happened to Cobra Commander to make him look that way but nothing too far from the original or over the top. Destro really wasnt focused on but they showed he could be in the future. I didnt have to wonder as a fan where did he/she come from. Or what is the point of this character.
  • robdaze151
    robdaze151 Banned Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    G.I Joe wins this debate. There was just to many things in transformer for it to come out good to the original fanbase. Starting w/ Jazz dying(at all) and a list of other ? . Like why couldn't they have just called the lebouf kid Spike. That would've covered so much ? . I believe that subconciously this and other problems like it let us know that the Directors/producers/writers were not fans and had no idea what it was until someone handed them the script. And to top it all off they think they can make it better. This has been the problem with many movies Transformers, X-Men, Hulk etc. My only real beef G.I Joe is that they made ripcorde join the same time as duke. :? Marlon Wayns could probably pass for dominican/puerto rican but wouldn't it have made more sense just making him Stalker.
  • Biggwillie
    edited January 2011
    Options
    robdaze151 wrote: »
    G.I Joe wins this debate. There was just to many things in transformer for it to come out good to the original fanbase. Starting w/ Jazz dying(at all) and a list of other ? . Like why couldn't they have just called the lebouf kid Spike. That would've covered so much ? . I believe that subconciously this and other problems like it let us know that the Directors/producers/writers were not fans and had no idea what it was until someone handed them the script. And to top it all off they think they can make it better. This has been the problem with many movies Transformers, X-Men, Hulk etc. My only real beef G.I Joe is that they made ripcorde join the same time as duke. :? Marlon Wayns could probably pass for dominican/puerto rican but wouldn't it have made more sense just making him Stalker.

YES! YES! YES! This really is my point even the Marlon Wayans part. All of this is why I choose G.I Joe.
  • DrMindbender122
    DrMindbender122 Members Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    The 1st live action Transformers movie did the cartoon a lil bit of justice in terms of nostalga, I guess. I just hated how they ? most of the characters up (i.e., Starscream, Devastator, Megatron, Soundwave, etc., etc., etc).

The 2nd installment was pure trash, IMO. I really don't have any expectations for part 3.
  • clairvoyance
    clairvoyance Members Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Good thread. My answer is no but I have yet 2 see the gi joe movie.The michael bay monstrosity seemed as though it was dumbed down for kids whereas the animated movie pertain to all ages. It was like watching a disney movie about a kid who bonded with alien robots that he found in his backyard with a ton of humor in the mix. Im surprised they didnt have the autobots fighting bullies at high school. I didnt connect with any of the characters(except jazz 4 obvious reasons), when optimus died in the 80's version my heart was broken,when he was getting his ass kicked in bays adaption by megatron I could careless -thats my take on it. The movie should of took place on cybertron not fighting army soldiers chasing a kid throughout the city. I guess CGI makes up for everything. Give me a japanime animated transformer movie and ill be straight.
  • Biggwillie
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Good thread. My answer is no but I have yet 2 see the gi joe movie.The michael bay monstrosity seemed as though it was dumbed down for kids whereas the animated movie pertain to all ages. It was like watching a disney movie about a kid who bonded with alien robots that he found in his backyard with a ton of humor in the mix. Im surprised they didnt have the autobots fighting bullies at high school. I didnt connect with any of the characters(except jazz 4 obvious reasons), when optimus died in the 80's version my heart was broken,when he was getting his ass kicked in bays adaption by megatron I could careless -thats my take on it. The movie should of took place on cybertron not fighting army soldiers chasing a kid throughout the city. I guess CGI makes up for everything. Give me a japanime animated transformer movie and ill be straight.

"....Autobots fighting bullies in high school...." classic!!!!
  • clairvoyance
    clairvoyance Members Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    robdaze151 wrote: »

Preach...........
  • rapmastermind
    rapmastermind Members Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    The only thing good about the G.I. Joe movie was the Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow story, the rest was meh. Say what you want about "Transformers 2", Part 1 was actually a pretty good movie and what they accomplished with the effects in "Transformers" was groundbreaking, nobody and their momma thought they could pull off a live action Transformers film which is why it wasn't made for over 25 years. "G.I. Joe" they dropped the ball on so many characters and the story wasn't good. I only give it a slight pass cause it was the 1st movie but it should of been way harder than it was.

It came off like a TV-movie instead of a Big Budget live action film. I was a huge G.I. Joe fan as a child of the 80's, played with the toys religiously, I saw this on the big screen out of respect for my childhood and left extremely disappointed. They did not honor the cartoon. Atleast "Transformers" had the original voice of Optimas Prime from the cartoon. I'm not saying Transformers is a perfect franchise but it honored the original cartoon way more than G.I. Joe did. Also people need to stop expected the Live Action Movies to be 100% identical to the cartoons or comics, that's not going to happen. The goal is to keep it as true as possible to the source material while making it an entertaining film.
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options

exactly. wtf was cobra commander!!! t/s how the hell could even think that the live action gi joe did the cartoon justice? the movie didn't realy make sense. and what the hell was brandon frasier's character? cuz he popped up like he was sumbody important. they mucked it up.
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    edited January 2011
    Options
    The only thing good about the G.I. Joe movie was the Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow story, the rest was meh. Say what you want about "Transformers 2", Part 1 was actually a pretty good movie and what they accomplished with the effects in "Transformers" was groundbreaking, nobody and their momma thought they could pull off a live action Transformers film which is why it wasn't made for over 25 years. "G.I. Joe" they dropped the ball on so many characters and the story wasn't good. I only give it a slight pass cause it was the 1st movie but it should of been way harder than it was.

It came off like a TV-movie instead of a Big Budget live action film. I was a huge G.I. Joe fan as a child of the 80's, played with the toys religiously, I saw this on the big screen out of respect for my childhood and left extremely disappointed. They did not honor the cartoon. Atleast "Transformers" had the original voice of Optimas Prime from the cartoon. I'm not saying Transformers is a perfect franchise but it honored the original cartoon way more than G.I. Joe did. Also people need to stop expected the Live Action Movies to be 100% identical to the cartoons or comics, that's not going to happen. The goal is to keep it as true as possible to the source material while making it an entertaining film.

damn. ? pretty much hit the nail on the head wit this post.
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    edited January 2011
    Options
    'll take tf2 over gi joe. yeah it wasn't perfect, but damn did they drop the ball on gi joe. baroness was NOT american!!!!! wtf!!!!
  • A.J. Trillzynski
    A.J. Trillzynski Members Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    G.I. Joe movie was garbage i don't care how faithful it is to the cartoon the movie is damn near unwatchable.

Transformers 1 & 2 are both entertaining as hell. what do you mean how hard is it to have Megatron turn into a gun though?? the point of the movie was to make it as realistic as possible and that means the same amount of mass when they transform having a giant robot turn into a handgun is just dumb. also why you didn't see them flying around in robot form for no explainable reason like in the cartoons.
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Marlon Waynes being in GI JOE is why I will never watch that ? .
  • joshuaboy
    joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Neither of them did justice to the original stories. They might have seemed good to people who did not follow them growing up, but to fans, no.

That aside, they were entertaining movies.
  • Biggwillie
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Someone stop me when I get OFF story line here......Cobra had an evil terrorist plot, Cobra commander was the leader, Destro had a metal headpiece, Stomshadow had white on, Duke was the leader of G.I. Joe, Scarlett had red hair and used a crossbow, Snakeyes had all back on and didnt talk, Ripcord was played by a black character, both sides had high tech weapons,.......
  • Biggwillie
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Someone stop me when I get ON storyline........Devistator forms into a vaccume with tenticles, Megatron does not form into a gun or even has one on his arm, (isnt the point of a transformer to, uh, TRANSFORM??? if i wanted to see a regular robot i would rather have seen ? or the robot from ? -Wee's Playhouse), the humans are the ones who acctually stop the Decepticons, Bumblebee kicks *ss instead of getting his *ss kicked? of all the autobots thats the one who doesnt die?.....
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    transformers>>>gi joe
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] rubbed off from friction Posts: 0 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • young chad
    young chad Members Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Man GI Joe was so bad I almost forgot it existed...that ? was on some Power Rangers ish..and they made Marlon the main character sorta speak...and they were wearing all black...and the CGI was ASS...you cant just do a GI Joe movie for the sake of doing it, if you're gonna bring something out of an 80's toy/cartoon franchise, it needs to be epic because you're mostly doing it for the ppl that are grown now..as no one under the age of 20 really cares about GI Joe..they shoulda made GJ Joe on some Expendables type ? ...that woulda been bad ass
  • nicky the don
    nicky the don Members Posts: 502 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Forget the cartoons, the GI Joe comics were much better. But the movie was totally trash. Duke was a ? . Destro wore a mask, not nanotech. Ripcord? They should've put in Stalker. And they should've had Road Block. Cobra Commander working for Destro? And the brother of Baroness? And the #1 blunder, DENNIS QUAID AS HAWK???? I did like how they did Zartan and the way his face'll change.
  • Biggwillie
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Someone stop me when I get OFF story line here......Cobra had an evil terrorist plot, Cobra commander was the leader, Destro had a metal headpiece, Stomshadow had white on, Duke was the leader of G.I. Joe, Scarlett had red hair and used a crossbow, Snakeyes had all back on and didnt talk, Ripcord was played by a black character, both sides had high tech weapons,.......

Im still waiting for someone to stop me when my arguement does not reflect G.I Joe vs Cobra.............
  • Biggwillie
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Someone stop me when I get ON storyline........Devistator forms into a vaccume with tenticles, Megatron does not form into a gun or even has one on his arm, (isnt the point of a transformer to, uh, TRANSFORM??? if i wanted to see a regular robot i would rather have seen ? or the robot from ? -Wee's Playhouse), the humans are the ones who acctually stop the Decepticons, Bumblebee kicks *ss instead of getting his *ss kicked? of all the autobots thats the one who doesnt die?.....

Im still waiting for someone to stop me when my arguement reflects the left field, made on Mars, storyline known as the Transformer movie.
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Forget the cartoons, the GI Joe comics were much better. But the movie was totally trash. Duke was a ? . Destro wore a mask, not nanotech. Ripcord? They should've put in Stalker. And they should've had Road Block. Cobra Commander working for Destro? And the brother of Baroness? And the #1 blunder, DENNIS QUAID AS HAWK???? I did like how they did Zartan and the way his face'll change.

@ the bolded...honestly i think that's the only person they got right.
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Transformers>>>>>G.I. Joe

the only thing i liked about g.i. joe is snake eyes vs storm shadow.