NEW HBO Series set in Post-Apocalyptic North Africa

Options
D. Morgan
D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2017 in Lights, Camera, Action!

Well it's official!! Guess who's writing/creating a new show for HBO? (Story link in the bio). It went something like this -- INT. HBO EXEC'S OFFICE (IN SELWYN'S DREAM) DREAM HBO EXEC So yeah, we want you to write this pilot on some black folk, sci-fi, Afrofuturistic vibe set in a post apocalyptic North Africa...with George R.R. Martin as one of your EPs DREAM ME (beat) Naaahhh, c'mon son. Stop playing with my feelings. CUT TO REALITY -- ACTUAL HBO EXEC So yeah, we want you to write this pilot on some black folk, sci-fi, Afrofuturistic vibe set in a post apocalyptic North Africa...with George R.R. Martin as one of your EPs ACTUAL ME (beat) Umm...can I call my Mom now?

http://thesource.com/2017/09/14/former-editor-chief-source-magazine-selwyn-seyfu-hinds-will-write-hbo-series-fears-death/

Comments

• The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My ? , what the ? did you just say?
  • D. Morgan
    Options

I didn't say ? that is what was posted. I just copied and pasted the ? .
  • The Lonious Monk
    edited September 2017
    Options
    D. Morgan wrote: »

lol My bad, I just looked at the link. That ? was so excited, he forgot to make sense.

Kinda weird to have it set in North Africa since that region is largely no black, but I give it a shot.
  • D. Morgan
    Options
    D. Morgan wrote: »

lol My bad, I just looked at the link. That ? was so excited, he forgot to make sense.

I had to read it a few times myself
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I will view it.
  • Madame_CJSkywalker
    Madame_CJSkywalker Members Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The series will be based on the novel Who Fears Death. A science fantasy novel by Nigerian-American writer Nnedi Okorafor, published in 2010 by DAW, an imprint of Penguin Books. It was awarded the 2011 World Fantasy Award for Best Novel, as well as the 2010 Carl Brandon Kindred Award "for an outstanding work of speculative fiction dealing with race and ethnicity.

In 2017, Okorafor announced the novel was the basis for an HBO television series in "early development", with George R. R. Martin serving as an executive producer;[3] Selwyn Seyfu Hinds was chosen as scriptwriter.[4]

The novel takes place in a post-apocalyptic future version of Sudan, where the light-skinned Nuru oppress the dark-skinned Okeke. The protagonist, Onyesonwu (Igbo for "who fears death"), is an Ewu, i.e. the child of an Okeke woman ? by a Nuru man. On reaching maturity, she goes on a quest to defeat her sorcerous father Daib using her magical powers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_Fears_Death
  • ineedpussy
    ineedpussy Members Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    might check it out. when does it come out
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    The series will be based on the novel Who Fears Death. A science fantasy novel by Nigerian-American writer Nnedi Okorafor, published in 2010 by DAW, an imprint of Penguin Books. It was awarded the 2011 World Fantasy Award for Best Novel, as well as the 2010 Carl Brandon Kindred Award "for an outstanding work of speculative fiction dealing with race and ethnicity.

In 2017, Okorafor announced the novel was the basis for an HBO television series in "early development", with George R. R. Martin serving as an executive producer;[3] Selwyn Seyfu Hinds was chosen as scriptwriter.[4]

The novel takes place in a post-apocalyptic future version of Sudan, where the light-skinned Nuru oppress the dark-skinned Okeke. The protagonist, Onyesonwu (Igbo for "who fears death"), is an Ewu, i.e. the child of an Okeke woman ? by a Nuru man. On reaching maturity, she goes on a quest to defeat her sorcerous father Daib using her magical powers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_Fears_Death

Not really liking the Colorism angle, but I'll still check it out.
  • lord nemesis
    lord nemesis Members Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Was hyped until read light skin vs dark skin
  • King of GA
    King of GA Members Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think it's dope....a good fantasy series that will have a mostly Black, if not all Black cast...

I hope N.K. Jemisin gets some love. She has a few good series.
  • The Lonious Monk
    edited September 2017
    Options
    King of GA wrote: »
    I think it's dope....a good fantasy series that will have a mostly Black, if not all Black cast...

I hope N.K. Jemisin gets some love. She has a few good series.

Depends on how light they going. The light skinned people might not be black. They might look more like these people.

87959151_o.jpg

And then this becomes just another story about being blacks dominated by nonblacks.