Big Baller Brand Didn’t Sell Nearly As Many Lonzo Ball Shoes As Initially Reported

Comments

• 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    serious question..

anybody else got three sons that can be NBA potential?

• Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    serious question..

As in US?
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Beta wrote: »
    serious question..

As in US?

yes
  • Beta
    serious question..

As in US?

yes

Oh. Probably not..what point you making though?
  • 2stepz_ahead
    just a second..

are Lakers color purple an gold or purple an yellow?
  • Beta
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • 2stepz_ahead
    no don't stop I'm making a point here
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • confucius_says
    confucius_says Members Posts: 111 ✭✭

Well hurry the ? up lol

I guess he didn't have a point. Or he got ADD
  • Beta
    edited September 2017

Well hurry the ? up lol

I guess he didn't have a point. Or he got ADD

Nah I think he made his point in the lonzo ball thread he created (the irony)

It wasn't well received..
  • black caesar
    black caesar Members Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/20554525/lavar-ball-brushes-lamelo-ball-eligibility-concerns-says-ncaa-not-my-boss
    LaVar: LaMelo shoe takes priority over eligibility

CHINO, Calif. -- If having a signature shoe ultimately costs 16-year-old LaMelo Ball his NCAA eligibility, his father, LaVar Ball, isn't worried about it.

Given a choice between one or the other, LaVar said the priority is the shoe.

"He's going to have a shoe," LaVar said Saturday night during his son's 16th birthday party, held at an event space at the Chino Airport. "NCAA ain't going to tell me s---. Because they're not my boss. That's what they do, but they're not going to be like, 'Oh, LaVar, you can't bring that shoe out until we tell you.' What? Something that I'm doing for my family? That's mine? I'm not under no umbrella."

LaMelo Ball's shoe -- the MB1 -- was available Thursday for preorder through Big Baller Brand's website for $395. His oldest brother, Los Angeles Lakers rookie and former UCLA standout Lonzo Ball, introduced his signature shoe this summer for $495.

LaMelo verbally committed to attend UCLA in two years. Currently, he attends Chino Hills High and is ranked as the No. 7 player in the Class of 2019.

In a statement regarding the matter, the NCAA on Thursday told ESPN's Darren Rovell, "Generally speaking, a college athlete or prospect paid for use of their athletics reputation or ability risks their future eligibility in that sport."

"This includes profiting from the sale of items bearing the young person's name," NCAA spokesperson Emily James told Rovell. "NCAA rules, however, do allow prospects to promote commercial products prior to enrollment, provided it is not for pay."

Said LaVar, "They're not going to tell me what I can do for my son and my family. He's not even in the NCAA, and that's the first thing they're coming up with instead of saying, 'Oh, that's a nice shoe. Your dad just gave a shoe to him, a signature shoe that he can play in that's to his specifications.' They're not looking at that part. They're looking at, 'How can we make it negative?' By saying, 'Oh, he's got to be ineligible for that. Gotta be.' No, it never happened before, so what are you saying?"

If LaMelo Ball isn't eligible to play college basketball because of his shoe, LaVar said he'll still train his son with the goal of helping him reach the NBA.

"We'll sit out a year or two," LaVar said. "Just get stronger and faster, and then go into [NBA training] camp as a free agent. He already got the narrative -- he can play, he can play. You see what he's doing at 15 and 16. Don't think that by the time he gets 17, 18 that he ain't going to be 10 times better than what he is now. And everybody says, 'Oh, he got to gain more weight.' Why? What you have to do is be strong. It ain't about the weight. It's about the strength."

When asked if his son would go play overseas, perhaps in Asia or Europe, instead of playing college basketball, LaVar flashed a smile.

"Everybody else got to go because you've got to make some money," LaVar said. "We need to make money, [but] we ain't got to go nowhere. All we got to do is train. They want to see whether you can make a shot, whether you can run or you're strong. The game don't change."

LaVar added, "If we already got this narrative of being a good player and a top-10 pick as a high schooler, if you go to college and you don't perform, you can't do nothing but hurt yourself. So what I'm saying is, I'm not going to make it a big deal where I'm like, Melo definitely has to go to college in order for him to succeed. You just gotta be ready to play and do your job."

LaMelo Ball didn't seem too concerned about facing a potential dilemma regarding his eligibility.

"I've still got two years left, so I'll worry about that when it gets there," he said.

UCLA issued a statement to ESPN earlier this week that said the university could not comment specifically about LaMelo Ball, citing NCAA rules.

"UCLA cannot comment on any prospective student-athlete until he or she has signed a letter of intent or scholarship agreement," the statement read. "Any prospective student-athlete's amateur status needs to be certified prior to his or her participating in team activity. As such, NCAA eligibility is assessed at the start of every student-athlete's academic year and is re-evaluated, as needed. Once cleared by the NCAA, institutions can allow that student-athlete to participate."

LiAngelo (Gelo) Ball, the Ball family's middle brother, is a freshman for the Bruins.

soooo.

y'all read this as a good thing I guess?

did I or did I not say...this is more about him than his sons an he could hurt his kids.

so now after two kids went/going to college... now it's not a requirement?

smdh

he's too worried about himself looking defiant...an how people are against him.
    so he has an out if things don't work out but takes all the credit if they do.

guess who else does that?

an to not even have a back up plan? he'll handle it when it comes up?

this the business genius y'all rooting for?

I am really surprised ...y'all can't see this is all game. don't be blinded by this guy by wanting to support a black mans business.

he's not stupid...this is victim marketing

But are you buying a $1000 IPhone?
  • 2stepz_ahead
    http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/20554525/lavar-ball-brushes-lamelo-ball-eligibility-concerns-says-ncaa-not-my-boss

CHINO, Calif. -- If having a signature shoe ultimately costs 16-year-old LaMelo Ball his NCAA eligibility, his father, LaVar Ball, isn't worried about it.

"He's going to have a shoe," LaVar said Saturday night during his son's 16th birthday party, held at an event space at the Chino Airport. "NCAA ain't going to tell me s---. Because they're not my boss. That's what they do, but they're not going to be like, 'Oh, LaVar, you can't bring that shoe out until we tell you.' What? Something that I'm doing for my family? That's mine? I'm not under no umbrella."

LaMelo Ball's shoe -- the MB1 -- was available Thursday for preorder through Big Baller Brand's website for $395. His oldest brother, Los Angeles Lakers rookie and former UCLA standout Lonzo Ball, introduced his signature shoe this summer for $495.

LaMelo verbally committed to attend UCLA in two years. Currently, he attends Chino Hills High and is ranked as the No. 7 player in the Class of 2019.

In a statement regarding the matter, the NCAA on Thursday told ESPN's Darren Rovell, "Generally speaking, a college athlete or prospect paid for use of their athletics reputation or ability risks their future eligibility in that sport."

"This includes profiting from the sale of items bearing the young person's name," NCAA spokesperson Emily James told Rovell. "NCAA rules, however, do allow prospects to promote commercial products prior to enrollment, provided it is not for pay."

Said LaVar, "They're not going to tell me what I can do for my son and my family. He's not even in the NCAA, and that's the first thing they're coming up with instead of saying, 'Oh, that's a nice shoe. Your dad just gave a shoe to him, a signature shoe that he can play in that's to his specifications.' They're not looking at that part. They're looking at, 'How can we make it negative?' By saying, 'Oh, he's got to be ineligible for that. Gotta be.' No, it never happened before, so what are you saying?"

If LaMelo Ball isn't eligible to play college basketball because of his shoe, LaVar said he'll still train his son with the goal of helping him reach the NBA.

"We'll sit out a year or two," LaVar said. "Just get stronger and faster, and then go into [NBA training] camp as a free agent. He already got the narrative -- he can play, he can play. You see what he's doing at 15 and 16. Don't think that by the time he gets 17, 18 that he ain't going to be 10 times better than what he is now. And everybody says, 'Oh, he got to gain more weight.' Why? What you have to do is be strong. It ain't about the weight. It's about the strength."

When asked if his son would go play overseas, perhaps in Asia or Europe, instead of playing college basketball, LaVar flashed a smile.

"Everybody else got to go because you've got to make some money," LaVar said. "We need to make money, [but] we ain't got to go nowhere. All we got to do is train. They want to see whether you can make a shot, whether you can run or you're strong. The game don't change."

LaVar added, "If we already got this narrative of being a good player and a top-10 pick as a high schooler, if you go to college and you don't perform, you can't do nothing but hurt yourself. So what I'm saying is, I'm not going to make it a big deal where I'm like, Melo definitely has to go to college in order for him to succeed. You just gotta be ready to play and do your job."

LaMelo Ball didn't seem too concerned about facing a potential dilemma regarding his eligibility.

"I've still got two years left, so I'll worry about that when it gets there," he said.

UCLA issued a statement to ESPN earlier this week that said the university could not comment specifically about LaMelo Ball, citing NCAA rules.

"UCLA cannot comment on any prospective student-athlete until he or she has signed a letter of intent or scholarship agreement," the statement read. "Any prospective student-athlete's amateur status needs to be certified prior to his or her participating in team activity. As such, NCAA eligibility is assessed at the start of every student-athlete's academic year and is re-evaluated, as needed. Once cleared by the NCAA, institutions can allow that student-athlete to participate."

LiAngelo (Gelo) Ball, the Ball family's middle brother, is a freshman for the Bruins.

soooo.

did I or did I not say...this is more about him than his sons an he could hurt his kids.

smdh

I am really surprised ...y'all can't see this is all game. don't be blinded by this guy by wanting to support a black mans business.

i would never send that much on a phone .....any phone.

and if the point you are trying to make is...if you spend it on a phone then why cant you spend it to help a black man.....that point is stupid.

how many people supported @JonnyRoccIT or @ShencotheMC ? but now we making this us vs them?

this market is his to take a portion of. like i keep saying..he makes it harder than it has to be.
  • NCswag
    NCswag Members Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ? look like pro keds.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2stepz still rambling lol
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Can Melo still play aau if he home schooled? Cuz long as he plays AAU he won't be missing out. He'll still be going against top talent in the country.

Lavar can't coach tho and lamelo sucks lol so we'll see how this experiment works out....
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭

soooo.

smdh

i would never send that much on a phone .....any phone.

CHUCH!!!

I've never bought an iPhone in my life. Not about to start by dropping 1 stack. I wouldn't even drop 1 stack on furniture.
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator

Wrong thread lol but comment still stands
  • AP21
    AP21 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 17,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can Melo still play aau if he home schooled? Cuz long as he plays AAU he won't be missing out. He'll still be going against top talent in the country.

Lavar can't coach tho and lamelo sucks lol so we'll see how this experiment works out....

here, they actually have home school leagues

I would be surprised if they didnt have something similar out there

• 2stepz_ahead
    but why take your child out the school vs just take him of the team?
  • MECCA1000
    MECCA1000 Members Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I'm taking my Ball and going home!" - Lavar Ball
  • Beta
    but why take your child out the school vs just take him of the team?

He dont want him around other influences