The Experian Credit Breach....who's been made aware of this?

Mister B.
Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2017 in Strictly Business
So apparently, someone or some entity breached the major credit bureaus, and now people are getting notices all over the place saying their credit history may have been compromised.

Have you received any information from any banks you may have business with, and how have you responded to it? What advice can you give to other that may be in one of these situations?

(In B4 "I don't have credit" post. Yes, you do. Stop lyin.)

Comments

• Go figure
    Go figure Guests, Members, Confirm Email, Writer Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    The easiest thing u should do is get a free credit report n look for anything thats suspicious to u. Debt u never took on, cards u never opened, etc.

I dont pay for any credit monitoring services bc i monitor my credit myself but i have been thinking about getting some type of identity theft prevention service that will help u fix any discrepencies bc although i never had any wrong charges or fraudulent activity i heard its a real pain in the ass to fix yourself.

Creditkarma phone app is free. Gives u your equifax and trans union reports.

Through chase bank i get free experian reports anytime just log in.
  • King Erauno
    King Erauno Members Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    what you see on credit karma aint even your real score.

if your worried about someone stealing your identity, freeze your report and only unlock it when you need it for a couple days. i've had mine frozen for a couple years now.
  • Go figure
    Go figure Guests, Members, Confirm Email, Writer Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭

How is it not? Im tryin to build my credit wanna make sure im usin the right tools.

Im due for a annual credit report check up so ill compare to my creditkarma/experian reports i get free
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, but the breach was a while back so if you were gonna be had you likely already got had.

If you worried:

1. Get credit reports from myfico.com.
    2. Contact the 3 major bureaus and get a fraud alert placed on your account so that you can't open any new accounts without personal verification (they'll call you).
    3. Make sure you have phone alerts for every transaction on your bank and credit cards. I have various credit cards issued by BofA, Chase, Capital One, Amex. All of them have a way to send every transaction to your phone as an alert as soon as it occurs.

• King Erauno
    King Erauno Members Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go figure wrote: »

How is it not? Im tryin to build my credit wanna make sure im usin the right tools.

Im due for a annual credit report check up so ill compare to my creditkarma/experian reports i get free

cause theres like 50 versions of your credit score. plus what companies see is different from what you may see:

ro0rtllp9gq6.png

http://www.myfico.com/credit-education/credit-score-versions/