Colin Kaepernick refuses “to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses Black people”...

Options

Comments

• stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capitals-insider/wp/2017/10/09/with-lightnings-brown-breaking-the-ice-capitals-devante-smith-pelly-considers-anthem-protest/?utm_term=.fd2296e57878
    ‘He’s all by himself’: Capitals’ Devante Smith-Pelly considers anthem protest after J.T. Brown

TAMPA — Like everyone else in hockey, Capitals forward Devante Smith-Pelly saw the viral image of J.T. Brown raising his fist during the national anthem ahead of the Tampa Bay Lightning’s game Saturday. Brown became the first NHL player to protest social inequality and police treatment of blacks in the United States. Like very few others in the NHL, Smith-Pelly understood how hard it must have been for Brown to take that stand.

“You look in the [locker] room, it’s only me,” said Smith-Pelly, who like Brown is one of the league’s few black players, and the only nonwhite player on the Capitals. “You look at all the teams, it’s not people that look like me. That’s just the way it is right now. That’s not to say that the people on the team and guys in this room don’t think that’s the right thing to do, but it’s tough when I can’t look over and the guy beside me knows exactly what’s going on and exactly how I feel.

“That makes what [Brown] did even more respectable. He’s all by himself.”

Smith-Pelly and Brown are two of roughly 30 black players in the NHL, a league in which 93 percent of players identify as white. Smith-Pelly said he reached out to Brown after his protest to tell him he respected it.

The movement of silently protesting during the anthem started last year in the NFL when then-San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick began sitting and then kneeling during the anthem. Brown stood for the duration of the national anthem, simply raising his bare, closed right fist.

“I wanted to do something to show my support,” Brown told the Tampa Bay Times after the Lightning’s 5-4 loss to the Florida Panthers on Saturday. “There are some issues that we have to talk about. So, in my mind, just trying to bring a little more awareness, and any type of conversation that we can get started would be great. I know there’s going to be negative backlash. But, in my heart, I know I did what was right.”

Said Smith-Pelly: “He made sure to make the point that it’s not disrespecting the flag and making sure everyone knew his stance and making sure the point stayed the point rather than people straying away from what it really is. I thought he did a great job. I reached out to him and told him I loved what he did. I’m glad he did it.”

Smith-Pelly spoke to Toronto Star columnist Bruce Arthur two weeks ago, describing that “lonely feeling,” being the only black player in a locker room. He’s new to the Capitals, signing with the team in July and only really getting to know most of the players since the start of training camp last month. Smith-Pelly was fighting to secure his spot on the roster in the preseason, but after Arthur’s column, several of his new teammates approached him.

“A good amount of guys read the article and said, ‘Hey, if you want to do something, we’re here with you,’ ” Smith-Pelly said. “Same with the coaches. They said, ‘If you want to do anything, we’re here.’ So, that felt good for me, a little less lonely. It felt good to know that my team has my back if I decide to do anything.”

Smith-Pelly said he has considered protesting during the anthem, but he is “not too sure” if he’ll take that step.

“If I feel like that’s the right thing to do, I definitely would do that,” Smith-Pelly said. “I wouldn’t be afraid to stand up if I felt that was the correct thing to do. As of this moment, I’m not sure, but it’s crossed my mind for sure.”

When recently asked about protests during the anthem, Capitals Coach Barry Trotz said that in the United States, “we get to speak our piece, if you will, without sometimes ramifications. In other countries, there’s dire consequences if you speak up. That’s the gift of living in the United States and people can express it, and I’ll support anybody for that. But I do think that, me personally, we’re honoring the flag. We’re maybe not honoring some of the things that are going on in our country.”

In the days since Brown’s protest, he released a statement on Twitter that said he’s received death threats. He didn’t address the media after Tampa Bay’s morning skate on Monday, and forward Ryan Callahan spoke on behalf of the team. It’s unclear if Brown will play against the Capitals on Monday night because the Lightning could be going with seven defensemen and 11 forwards.

“I think the biggest thing is you’ve got 25 different guys in here,” Callahan said. “Everyone is going to a different opinion, a different belief, everybody comes from different backgrounds, upbringing. So whether you agree or disagree with what he’s doing, I think as a team we support him. We support [Brown] as we would on the ice and as we do off the ice. He has a right to do that and that’s our biggest thing in here. We have his back just as we would on the ice.”

Smith-Pelly said that while “it sucks to hear” Brown received death threats, he wasn’t surprised. Protests from players across the NFL intensified after President Trump called on league owners last month to fire or suspend players who did not stand for the anthem. On Sunday, Vice President Pence and his wife, Karen, left Lucas Oil Stadium after members of the visiting 49ers knelt during the anthem before their game against the Indianapolis Colts. President Trump said on Twitter that Pence was following his instructions that he should leave if players protested during the anthem

“With the protesting, you see a lot of people kind of coming out and showing that it’s there,” Smith-Pelly said. “I think before Kaepernick, it was obviously always there, but you could hide it. But at this point when people are getting away from the point of what people are saying, it’s not about the flag. It’s about racial injustice and stuff like that. When people are still saying, ‘No, that’s not what it’s about,’ that’s showing their true colors. So, at this point, it’s something that you have to keep doing until something changes.”
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    So white ppl is boycotting the NFL and black ppl boycotting the NFL

This looking like a Trump “victory”

Ii really is an interesting conundrum, How do you differenciate the reasonings why in order to combat the idea that Trump is winning
  • JJ_Evans
    JJ_Evans Members Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    So white ppl is boycotting the NFL and black ppl boycotting the NFL

This looking like a Trump “victory”

Ii really is an interesting conundrum, How do you differenciate the reasonings why in order to combat the idea that Trump is winning

The following is what I posted a few weeks ago in this thread..............

JJ_Evans wrote: »
    Ratings were down because BLACK people were boycotting the NFL on behalf of Kaepernick.

Trump is jumping on the wave attempting to re-label it as a boycott from his racist followers. He's buddies with a lot of these NFL owners, and they've probably told him that the Kap movement has been working.
  • MasterJayN100
    MasterJayN100 Members Posts: 11,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • thegreatunknown
    thegreatunknown Members Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    AggieLean. wrote: »
    "I'm only whipping you for your own good, boy."

Jerry Jones a modern day slave owner running a plantation down there in Arlington.

Basically. He probably makes the "slavery was good for the blacks" argument behind closed doors...
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    AggieLean. wrote: »
    "I'm only whipping you for your own good, boy."

Jerry Jones a modern day slave owner running a plantation down there in Arlington.

they aint gonna walk out...they will still suit up.

like i said before....they need to all just sit on the field. an not do nothing

an we as black people need to stop any player from crossing the line to replace those who are sitting out.

kinda like how people treat scabs when they are striking.
  • dnyce215
    dnyce215 Members Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Max. wrote: »

But yet they have the option to stay in the locker room. Gtfowtbs
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    Had my first interaction with a cac (I don't think I ever used that term but it applies here lol) who didn't share my views about this issue at work...obviously I've seen the the comments and the news and ? so I know ppl that think like that exist but I ain't never heard it irl.

Same scripted ?
    - get politics out of sports
    - why didn't they do this in the offseason
    - I don't like how they're protesting
    - they're taking up my time
    - crying about military as if military owns the ? flag

I was waiting for what about Chicago lol

Dude actually did make a good point about just taking the grandstanding if the anthem away like they used to and removing ads and with the current breast cancer month movement...so at least he's consistent about totally wanting no politics in sports. But still. All that ? was verbal white privilege. My white homie checked the ? outa him on every point made tho I just sat there and watched lol
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    so we can worry about ? but not black lives?

we can worry about homos and half ? /half lesbian but not black lives?

we can worry about abortion but not black lives?

we can worry about bump stocks but not black lives?
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    Trillfate wrote: »

Search the hashtag #standwithjemele that's been going since the first incident last month
  • infamous114
    infamous114 Members, Moderators Posts: 52,202 Regulator
    Options

Lmao @ change tax law. Ain't you the ? president who are you talking to

To a majority Republican Congress that can't get ? done lol
  • yellowtapesport
    yellowtapesport Members Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    Trillfate wrote: »

Search the hashtag #standwithjemele that's been going since the first incident last month

Post that ? @blackrain for us non-twitterin' folk
  • dnyce215
    dnyce215 Members Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Had my first interaction with a cac (I don't think I ever used that term but it applies here lol) who didn't share my views about this issue at work...obviously I've seen the the comments and the news and ? so I know ppl that think like that exist but I ain't never heard it irl.

Same scripted ?
    - get politics out of sports
    - why didn't they do this in the offseason
    - I don't like how they're protesting
    - they're taking up my time
    - crying about military as if military owns the ? flag

I was waiting for what about Chicago lol

Dude actually did make a good point about just taking the grandstanding if the anthem away like they used to and removing ads and with the current breast cancer month movement...so at least he's consistent about totally wanting no politics in sports. But still. All that ? was verbal white privilege. My white homie checked the ? outa him on every point made tho I just sat there and watched lol

I had the same thing with a person at my job and he brought up all the Kaepernick can’t play theory I shut that ? down by countering his points with facts. And the thing is he exposed himself and he was a cool before this.
  • T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    so we can worry about ? but not black lives?

we can worry about homos and half ? /half lesbian but not black lives?

we can worry about abortion but not black lives?

we can worry about bump stocks but not black lives?

Exactly!!!!!!! Same thing that I be saying especially in a league that's over 70% of blacks. All of these awareness for other programs but bringing awareness to black lives will get you whiteballed smdh