The black man beaten at a white nationalist rally in Charlottesville now faces a felony charge

Options
Idiopathic Joker
Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
http://www.businessinsider.com/deandre-harris-felony-unlawful-wounding-charlottesville-white-supremacists-2017-10?utm_content=buffer98420&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer-bi

POLITICS

A 20-year-old black man who was rushed and brutally assaulted by a group of white supremacists in Charlottesville two months ago is now himself facing a felony charge.

Deandre Harris was participating in a counterprotest to the white nationalists' "Unite the Right" rally in August when a clash broke out in a parking garage near the University of Virginia campus.

Video of the incident shows Harris on the ground being violently kicked and beaten with poles by several attackers.

One person involved in the brawl, who has not been identified by authorities, has now accused Harris of injuring him during the exchange. The Charlottesville police department said in a press release on Monday it has issued an arrest warrant for Harris for unlawful wounding.

The video and several images of Harris' beating went viral, triggering a social media crusade to identify the white supremacists responsible for the violence. Harris told media he had suffered injuries from the beating including lacerations to his head, a concussion, a broken wrist, and a chipped tooth.

Two men - 18-year-old Daniel Borden of Ohio and 33-year-old Michael Ramos of Georgia - were identified, arrested, extradited to Virginia, and charged with malicious wounding in August. At a court hearing for Ramos last month, his attorney reportedly said it may have been Harris who "struck the first blow in that fracas."

Harris' attorney S. Lee Merritt has described the charge against his client as "clearly retaliatory" and said Harris will soon turn himself into police.

"We find it highly offensive and upsetting, but what's more jarring is that he's been charged with the same crime as the men who attacked him," Merritt told The Washington Post.

He added that it was "highly unusual" for a warrant to come from the magistrate rather than the police department, and suggested that the alleged victim had previously made an unsuccessful attempt at accusing Harris.

The Charlottesville Police Department, however, said in its press release that the warrant was issued by the police department, at the request of the magistrate.

"The victim went to the Magistrate's office, presented the facts of what occurred and attempted to obtain the warrant. The magistrate requested that a detective respond and verify these facts," the release said. "A Charlottesville Police Department detective did respond, verified the facts and a warrant for Unlawful Wounding (va Code 18.2-51) was issued."

After news broke of the arrest warrant against Harris on Monday, white nationalists openly celebrated on Twitter. One even suggested that a crowdsourced effort to produce evidence against Harris occurred:

Comments

• 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    WTF ? If there's no proof of the victim hitting him first, he should sue the ? out of the police department and DA for false arrest and malicious prosecution.
  • Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    you gotta be ? kidding me
  • rickmogul
    rickmogul Members Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Enemies in our own country.
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I told yall years ago old jim crow was making a return. Only thing missing is signs saying no blacks allowed and lynch parties.
  • rickmogul
    rickmogul Members Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If U lean far enough 2 the left or to the right, u'll be able to see coming it's gonna be ? or be killed out here. We R not protected by laws as black men so we have to be ready 2 die 2 defend ourselves at any moment.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    And some of you disagreed with me when I said blacks should have stayed out of that beef. Now what?
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    And some of you disagreed with me when I said blacks should have stayed out of that beef. Now what?

You do know their “beef” is with us right?
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »

He means their civil war. Stop standing by white liberals. Let them fight their own battles. It's their karma. Nobody else's.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »

He means their civil war. Stop standing by white liberals. Let them fight their own battles. It's their karma. Nobody else's.

Some don't get it
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    kinda like being arrested after being thrown out a window

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVZwoLZgrRs
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    So we suppose to let white ppl fight white supremacy?

The KKK/Nazis our there saying ? ? and we suppose to sit it out?

You ? amaze me.
  • grYmes
    grYmes Members Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is ? crazy and speaks to people’s true feelings. Brotha deserves better.
  • AggieLean.
    AggieLean. Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hopefully, he beats it. Wrong as hell he's even being charged to begin with.

My black ass wouldn't have been out there or anywhere where I knew them antifa folks was gone be. They out there getting ? riled up to fight with them, y'all all get arrested, and even though they think they're helping out, their privilege (because even though they might be liberal, they're still white) gets them a lesser charge or free of any trouble, while the ? getting the book thrown at him. Nawl, ? that.
  • Broddie
    edited October 2017
    Options

You ? amaze me.

You seeing what happens when black folks stick their nose in this ? ? Ya still don't get it. Even for fighting for the right cause they will systematically defeat you cause the system is in their favor.

No chess player will play the game like that. White liberals are the ones instigating this ? let them burn alone. Not like this is brand new ? in this country. Most sensible poc know unless they're ? with you directly mind your own ? business.

These ? are not even 4% of the population. Quit giving them shine at the expense of your freedom or physical well being. Unless you truly must.
  • Broddie
    Options
    AggieLean. wrote: »
    Hopefully, he beats it. Wrong as hell he's even being charged to begin with.

My black ass wouldn't have been out there or anywhere where I knew them antifa folks was gone be. They out there getting ? riled up to fight with them, y'all all get arrested, and even though they think they're helping out, their privilege (because even though they might be liberal, they're still white) gets them a lesser charge or free of any trouble, while the ? getting the book thrown at him. Nawl, ? that.

Exactly.

But let all these fools lap up that "solidarity" noise.
  • HarlemThumzUp
    HarlemThumzUp Members Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You ? amaze me.

You seeing what happens when black folks stick their nose in this ? ? Ya still don't get it. Even for fighting for the right cause they will systematically defeat you cause the system is in their favor.

No chess player will play the game like that. White liberals are the ones instigating this ? let them burn alone. Not like this is brand new ? in this country. Most sensible poc know unless they're ? with you directly mind your own ? business.

These ? are not even 4% of the population. Quit giving them shine at the expense of your freedom or physical well being. Unless you truly must.

SNAPPLE FACTS.
  • stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckraker/harold-ray-crews-league-of-the-south-deandre-harris-warrant
    Neo-Confederate Leader Behind Arrest Warrant For Black Man Beaten In C’Ville

One of the most enduring and shocking moments from the white nationalist march on Charlottesville this summer was the parking garage beating of counter-protester DeAndre Harris by a crowd of khaki-clad white nationalists, who swarmed around the 20-year-old with flagpoles and shields.

One of the hate group leaders involved in that clash successfully persuaded a local magistrate on Monday to issue an arrest warrant for Harris on a felony charge of “unlawful wounding,” complicating an ongoing police investigation into the men who attacked the counter-protester.

Both Harris’ lawyer and the League of the South, a neo-Confederate organization, say Harold Ray Crews, the group’s North Carolina chairman, pursued the warrant. In order to do so, he took advantage of a quirk in the judicial system, according to a Charlottesville police detective and Harris’ lawyer.

After trying to file a compliant with police, Crews apparently went to the magistrate’s office, which requires only a police report based on the complainant’s testimony and the determination of probable cause to issue a warrant. In a statement, S. Lee Merritt, Harris’ attorney, Merritt attributed the charge to a “successful campaign” by the League of the South to “manipulate the Charlottesville judiciary and further victimize Mr. Harris.” He denied that his client was involved in causing the head injuries Crews sustained.

Charlottesville police detectives and Merritt have expressed surprise that local authorities issued the warrant at all.

“This is the first time I’ve seen this situation happen,” Merritt told TPM.

In a Wednesday phone call, Merritt told TPM that Crews and his fellow League of the South members have been discussing pressing charges against Harris on their podcast, “Southern Nationalist Radio,” “for quite some time,” but that he did not expect “a magistrate to sort of decide to independently run with it.”

Charlottesville Det. Sgt. Jake Via, who is supervising the parking garage case, told the Washington Post that he, too, was “not expecting this.”

“We were expecting to do our own investigation into the man’s allegations,” Via told the newspaper.

Crews, a 48-year-old North Carolina real estate lawyer who describes himself as a “Southern Nationalist” on his Twitter bio, did not respond to TPM’s email and phone calls requesting comment. But the League of the South posted several items celebrating the pending arrest of the “young ? male” involved with “harassing their members” in the parking garage.

Crews has deep ties to the League, and the Southern Poverty Law Center, which tracks hate groups, has reported that he runs their Facebook, website and a related YouTube channel that’s posted under his own name.

His allies have celebrated the arrest warrant as a victory for their side, with white nationalist blogger Hunter Wallace calling Harris’ charge the end of “another race hoax” and prominent white nationalist Richard Spencer cheering “the end of the Deandre Haris [sic] myth.”

Both Merritt, Harris’ attorney, and the white nationalists say they believe the copious video evidence of the incident will vindicate them. Video shows the man that Merritt says identifies as Crews trying to stab a counter-protester with the pole of a Confederate flag, and Harris swinging a flashlight in response. Merritt said in a statement that the flashlight “did not make significant contact” with Crews before Harris was kicked to the ground by six white nationalists who beat him with wooden sticks and a shield, leaving him with a spinal injury, cranial lacerations and several fractures. Photos show Harris bleeding profusely from his head.

According to Merritt’s statement, the injury Crews sustained to his head came from “a completely separate subsequent incident” involving a clash “between at least four white males,” which was also appears to have been captured in multiple photographs.

Three of the white nationalists involved in the parking garage beating have since been arrested.

As the Post reported, Commonwealth’s Attorney Warner “Dave” Chapman, a Democrat, will decide whether to prosecute the case once the warrant is served against Harris.

Merritt told TPM he is working with Charlottesville police to determine the terms of Harris’ surrender, but would not release the date out of “concerns about his safety and people knowing he’s in town.”

“He had to leave Charlottesville because he no longer felt safe in the city,” Merritt said of Harris, who was a resident of the city at the time of the August rally. “He couldn’t continue his job as an assistant school teacher because of anxiety that he gets around large crowds. He was doing a pretty good job recovering. But there’s still this angst of him being charged after being the recipient of this brutal attack. It’s set him back emotionally.”
  • stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/black-man-beaten-charlottesville-rally-surrenders-police-warrant-n810436
    Black Man Beaten at Charlottesville Rally Surrenders to Police on Warrant
    by Associated PressOct 13 2017, 11:48 am ET

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. — A black man who was beaten at a white nationalist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, has turned himself in to police after being charged in the confrontation.

Charlottesville police said in a statement that 20-year-old DeAndre Harris turned himself in Thursday and was served a warrant charging him with unlawful wounding.

According to the warrant, the charge was sought by Harold Crews, state chairman of the North Carolina League of the South. Reached by phone this week, Crews said he will not be making any statements.

Police say Harris was released on unsecured bond.

Photos and video showed Harris being beaten by a group of men inside a parking garage. In addition to Harris, three men have been charged in the attack.

Harris' attorney has said Harris did nothing wrong.

An account of the incident posted to a fundraising website started by Harris said he was chased and then beaten until he was unconscious.

"Every time I went to stand up I was knocked back down," Harris' online account says, adding that he said he suffered several serious injuries.
  • blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    so when ya'll ready to join my Black Nationalist Army? :lol:

I keep telling ya'll ? to get ya gunz up and be serious about ur physical fitness

cuz these crackas def want to bring jim crow back
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    so when ya'll ready to join my Black Nationalist Army? :lol:

I keep telling ya'll ? to get ya gunz up and be serious about ur physical fitness

cuz these crackas def want to bring jim crow back

Naw man.

White supremacy ain’t the black man fight.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options

You ? amaze me.

If folks only stood up when they were directly affected then ? would never get done
  • Broddie
    edited October 2017
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »

You ? amaze me.

If folks only stood up when they were directly affected then ? would never get done

Keep believing that. Only obligation blacks have in this country is to themselves. The focus should be in rebuilding their communities and their people's position in this country. Especially as it changes.

Whites are having a civil war. You can either take advantage of filling up the lanes they're vacating now that they're distracted amongst themselves.

Or you can side with either side far left or far right and helped them fight for the further continuation of systematic white supremacy in this country. It's on you. I personally choose not to side with any form of white supremacy. I spend that time figuring out how to help my own instead cause nobody else is.

I fight back when attacked but I'm not gonna be caping for outsiders just cause they sing a sweet song. They chose to instigate that battle so they need to own it.

Blacks and every other non-white should not be wasting time with people who would use them to further their agendas. Then pay them dust when it's their time to come up with their end of the bargain. That "solidarity" ? is one sided as ? .
  • skpjr78
    skpjr78 Members Posts: 7,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kys if you're surprised by the actions of the criminally unjust system
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    The KKK was formed to go against Black people.

Those dudes out there was KKK/Confederate waving ? .

So please explain to me how going against the KKK is not the black man fight?

I really need an explanation.
  • unspoken_respect
    unspoken_respect Members Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »

You ? amaze me.

Keep believing that. Only obligation blacks have in this country is to themselves. The focus should be in rebuilding their communities and their people's position in this country. Especially as it changes.

Whites are having a civil war. You can either take advantage of filling up the lanes they're vacating now that they're distracted amongst themselves.

Or you can side with either side far left or far right and helped them fight for the further continuation of systematic white supremacy in this country. It's on you. I personally choose not to side with any form of white supremacy. I spend that time figuring out how to help my own instead cause nobody else is.

I fight back when attacked but I'm not gonna be caping for outsiders just cause they sing a sweet song. They chose to instigate that battle so they need to own it.

Blacks and every other non-white should not be wasting time with people who would use them to further their agendas. Then pay them dust when it's their time to come up with their end of the bargain. That "solidarity" ? is one sided as ? .

Imagine if all white people always had this mind state. Where would we be right now?