Considering leaving the Military.

grYmes
grYmes Members Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
Alright, so after about 11 years being in and with 7 months left in my contract.. I’m actually thinking if this is the time to go. Wifey kinda pushing for me to get out. A lot because of how things have gone and the threat of a war. Normally I’d go all in with the “it’ll be ok” response but these days I don’t blame her. Along with the fact that I’m kinda at a place where I want something new.

The security of being in the military is what’s the major thing. The insurance, overall benefits kinda spoil you. Especially when you got a family. I got a couple of things in mind. Taking classes to become an insurance agent. Maybe get her uncle to help me out in becoming a cop in Fredricksberg, VA (not something I wanna do forever) while I go to school. It’s just a big ass step.

Anyone been in this situation?

Comments

• farris2k1
    farris2k1 Members Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My cuz is gone after his contract, got a couple years left i think, hes in the navy, been with them over 15 years, burnt out on it, tired of being deployed for months, ship life is trash etc, ready to be away from it all plus he dont wanna be there while trumps punk ass is in control and damn sure dont blame him for that i wouldnt either
  • goldenja
    goldenja Members Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • AZTG
    AZTG Members Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you could transit out of it and keep your standard of living do it, if not, place realistic goals of how to work your way to a job where you can keep your standard of living while staying at the military until your ready.
  • grYmes
    edited October 2017
    farris2k1 wrote: »
    My cuz is gone after his contract, got a couple years left i think, hes in the navy, been with them over 15 years, burnt out on it, tired of being deployed for months, ship life is trash etc, ready to be away from it all plus he dont wanna be there while trumps punk ass is in control and damn sure dont blame him for that i wouldnt either

Yea that definitely plays a part as well.
    AZTG wrote: »
    If you could transit out of it and keep your standard of living do it, if not, place realistic goals of how to work your way to a job where you can keep your standard of living while staying at the military until your ready.

Exactly. That’s why I’m trying to see what my options are now. I can handle taking a small step back if it can result in a long term gain but nothing more.
  • AZTG
    AZTG Members Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    grYmes wrote: »

Exactly. That’s why I’m trying to see what my options are now. I can handle taking a small step back if it can result in a long term gain but nothing more.

It all comes down to planning and not getting caught up in the moment. Make a goal of the job you want, research how realistic it is, research what you gotta do to get there, and start taking steps to get there.

If you gotta take a paycut for a year but will then get to where you wanna be, its worth it. If its something that requires two years of school for example, then you might wanna stay in the military till you finish school
  • all original
    all original Members Posts: 580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Got out at exactly 13 yrs and haven't looked back! This was four years ago. It was like a big weight being lifted off me. Plus, seeing as now I work DoD I can buy back my military time. If I chose to I can retire in seven years!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • whatevathehell
    whatevathehell Members Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Almost 12 years.. nn you might as well just stay in or at least do reserve get that retirement check and be...retired
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Active guard sounds better. You are too deep in it to quit.
  • grYmes
    edited October 2017

It all comes down to planning and not getting caught up in the moment. Make a goal of the job you want, research how realistic it is, research what you gotta do to get there, and start taking steps to get there.

If you gotta take a paycut for a year but will then get to where you wanna be, its worth it. If its something that requires two years of school for example, then you might wanna stay in the military till you finish school

Yea. This so far is the plan. Nothing’s set in stone yet. At the end of November I find out if I made E-6. If I do then I’ll lean more towards me Re-enlisting. If not then I’ll already have done my research & put those plans in motion.

Regardless I’m preparing for things as if I’m getting out.
  • Michael_Malice
    Michael_Malice Members Posts: 17,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You've done 11. Ride it out to 20. You won't regret it. I just finished my 20 and I'm good now.
  • grYmes
    Almost 12 years.. nn you might as well just stay in or at least do reserve get that retirement check and be...retired

More than likely I’ll still go reserves when I get out.
  • rickmogul
    rickmogul Members Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uncle Jams Army!
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You've done 11. Ride it out to 20. You won't regret it. I just finished my 20 and I'm good now.

You get some kinda benefits at 20 you don't get at 11? Another 9 years is a looooong time if his heart ain't fully into it
  • grYmes
    edited October 2017
    DarthRozay wrote: »

You get some kinda benefits at 20 you don't get at 11? Another 9 years is a looooong time if his heart ain't fully into it

Retirement pay and benefits (lifetime health insurance, etc) at 20. Even if I get out now I still get benefits from the VA and my GI Bill for school among other things. Obviously doing 20 gets you the most.

9 years does feel like a long time but it’s never been about that. I could do the 9 years no problem, but this honestly just feels like I’m at a turning point in my life. Where I don’t think the military is something I want to continue to have overtake my life anymore.
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will say this. 20 years and you get free health for you and your fam for life.
    Then you get a retirement check at 20.
    So let say you get $2,250 a month for retirement.
    Health insurance is damn near $600 a month.
    We up to $2,850. Then you go to the VA and get 30%. Not sure what that is but lets say $500.

Now you are getting over $3,000 in money and benefits for the rest of your life.

If you can get that outside the military and more then you are making the right decision.
    I have a friend in Bama clocking about $4,000 a month and has a state job making $30 an hour. His VA claim is going through for bad knees, back and sleeping disorder. He will drop the ED if he needs it.

Oh and ? that reserve ? . Just do the VA because the reserves you have to wait till age 60.
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alright, so after about 11 years being in and with 7 months left in my contract.. I’m actually thinking if this is the time to go. Wifey kinda pushing for me to get out. A lot because of how things have gone and the threat of a war. Normally I’d go all in with the “it’ll be ok” response but these days I don’t blame her. Along with the fact that I’m kinda at a place where I want something new.

The security of being in the military is what’s the major thing. The insurance, overall benefits kinda spoil you. Especially when you got a family. I got a couple of things in mind. Taking classes to become an insurance agent. Maybe get her uncle to help me out in becoming a cop in Fredricksberg, VA (not something I wanna do forever) while I go to school. It’s just a big ass step.

Anyone been in this situation?

your going to regret it, trust me from personal experience

In some ways I'm happy I got out because I'm in a career earning good money and doing what I want in Cyber Security...however...

If I had stayed in and finished those 12 years I could retired with a nice check at 37. Can't beat that type of financial security.
  • genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ride it out bruh
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Serious question;

What is your rank?

I've heard that it takes approximately 20 years to make it to Captain, and another 20 years to make it to General.

How old are you? Have you been promoted? Realistically if you stick around for another 9 years what do you think your rank will be?
  • Qiv_Owan
    Qiv_Owan Members Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    7 months will be here in 3 weeks

Ride it out fam
  • Huey_C
    Huey_C Members Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    5 Grand wrote: »
    Serious question;

What is your rank?

I've heard that it takes approximately 20 years to make it to Captain, and another 20 years to make it to General.

How old are you? Have you been promoted? Realistically if you stick around for another 9 years what do you think your rank will be?

Lol naw 5-7 years to get CPT, enlisted and commissioned are different. Based on the fact he even made this thread means he's enlisted.