KRS One Answers The Hardest Question For A Hip Hop Lover

Options
5 Grand
5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comments

• 5 Grand
    Options
    If I had to pick two or three albums for somebody that had never heard Hip Hop before, I think I'd pick a mixtape.

I think Doo ? 's Spring One and 95 Live tapes are a perfect representation of Hip Hop. Spring One had West Coast stuff like Rage, Cube and Snoop along with the underground stuff like Jeru, Black Moon and Wu Tang.

95 Live had 20 minutes of freestyles before the tape started.

But if I had to pick one album it would be Life After Death. Not necessarily because its my favorite album, rather, because its perfectly rounded. There's ? tracks, R&B tracks, storytelling and everything in between.

I can't even think of a second and third album. I think Life After Death would be the perfect album to play to somebody that had never heard Hip Hop.
  • Busta Carmichael
    Busta Carmichael Members, Moderators Posts: 13,161 Regulator
    Options
    First rap album I ever heard was eazy duz it when I was 5. Feel in love with hip hop then.

Can't go wrong with any Dre album actually.

Eazy duz it, SOC, Chronic, ? or 2001.

Would've choose any one of the above
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    First rap album I ever heard was eazy duz it when I was 5. Feel in love with hip hop then.

? is a great album, but I wouldn't pick it for somebody who has never heard Hip Hop. Its too West Coast/G-Funk, which isn't bad but it just doesn't represent the totality of Hip Hop. Especially for a person whose never heard rap before.
  • Busta Carmichael
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »

? is a great album, but I wouldn't pick it for somebody who has never heard Hip Hop. Its too West Coast/G-Funk, which isn't bad but it just doesn't represent the totality of Hip Hop. Especially for a person whose never heard rap before.

I'd give them the chronic, 36 chambers and e.1999.

Thats 3 different styles and regions that show the versatility of hip hop.
  • Lincoln
    Lincoln Members Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'd give them three songs to listen to.

The first song would be Jay Electronica's "Exhibit C," because I believe it illustrates the common struggle of Black people and how individuals can rise out of that struggle. The lyrics aren't too complex for a first time listener to not understand, but are also not so simple that they will take the writing abilities of rappers for granted. All this over masterful production, a steady flow, and a momentous instrumental.

The second song would be Lupe Fiasco's "Coulda Been," because it shows the introspective aspect of hip-hop, with a beat that's good to learn to nod your head to, and details a how hip hop has impacted the writer's life.

The last song would be RZA's "Holocaust (Silkworm)," to show them that hip hop is more than just stories over instrumentals; it is a genre that incorporates literary devices and can also be very much about creating visuals. Holocaust's verse highlights an important need to show off the more technical aspects of rapping like flow, structure, verse opening and closing, etc.. Of course it also shows part of what emceeing was founded upon: a comptetitive spirit.
  • Beefer77
    Beefer77 Members Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Any 1 of Kanye west first 3 albums and jay z volume 1 album. This is not to gritty and grimly but not soft.
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Depends who I'm talking to

A OG

Tribe called quest - low end theory
    Mos def-black on both sides
    Ice cube - death certificate

Someone my generation

Biggie-life after death
    Snoop -doggystle
    Tupac all eyes on me

I think these are the most easily accessible albums I can think of off top to get someone into Hip Hop. Plenty more but I can only do 3
  • Ear2DaSt
    Ear2DaSt Members Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the chronic is not top 2 in definition of Hip Hop

or should be shared to represent Hip Hop

NY invented the ish ... and can represent it

1.Eric B & Rakim-Paid In Full
    2.Big Daddy Kane-Long Live The Kane
    3.Nas-Illmatic
  • Busta Carmichael
    Options
    Ear2DaSt wrote: »
    the chronic is not top 2 in definition of Hip Hop

or should be shared to represent Hip Hop

NY invented the ish ... and can represent it

1.Eric B & Rakim-Paid In Full
    2.Big Daddy Kane-Long Live The Kane
    3.Nas-Illmatic

The chronic is top 3 best rap album
    ? u mean?
  • Ear2DaSt
    Options
    Chronic aint Hip Hop it's West Coast G-Funk

it don't represent what Hip Hop really is

politics a side .....
  • Busta Carmichael
    Options
    Chronic aint Hip Hop it's West Coast G-Funk

it don't represent what Hip Hop really is

politics a side .....

Dumbest statement I've heard all month.

The infamous doesn't sound like sugar hill gang or the beginning of hip hop. Does that mean it ain't hip hop too?
  • Ear2DaSt
    Options
    Oh he signed Slim Shady he top 3 ... smh

Snoop Dog-? is a more classic album but he didn't sign Eminem ... so ....
  • Ear2DaSt
    Options
    still neither is what should represent Hip Hop except for the originators from the East ....

West Coast is rap to me .... and G-Funk !!!!
  • Busta Carmichael
    Options
    still neither is what should represent Hip Hop except for the originators from the East ....

West Coast is rap to me .... and G-Funk !!!!

So by that definition, South ain't rap either? K.B. ain't rap?
  • Ear2DaSt
    Options
    West started rap and yes South is Rap but South have elements of Hip Hop with certain artist

depending on the sound it can be Southern rap or Southern Hip Hop

but it's alot of other labels for Southern Rap like Trap etc

I don't like the term Trap but is way different from Southern G-Funk and Hip Hop etc

Hip Hop aint simple too me ....

You know West Coast has certain Hip Hop artist as well but they also have the elements

I guess it's New York rappers that is not Hip Hop but rap cuz they rap that style such as the ones that are influenced by the South ...

You can call it all Hip Hop but then if your asked to give 3 albums to represent it

id feel wild sharing a Migos oe Gucci Mann album ... you see what im saying

Migos and Gucci fall under Trap music but the music is always evolving but they aint Hip Hop to me

Troy Ave & Mysonne are more Hip Hop to me ....

Migos an em fall under rap to me

K.B. is Rap and Hip Hop cuz he has both elements .... a trip huh .....

That being said this is just my opinion not accepted as rule by the ones who set the guidelines to what is what in the Hip Hop/Rap culture ......
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    400 Degreez and Big Willie Style....

Juvie gritty album
    Will happy lyrical album

• BenjaminE
    BenjaminE Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    West started rap and yes South is Rap but South have elements of Hip Hop with certain artist

I don't like the term Trap but is way different from Southern G-Funk and Hip Hop etc

You know West Coast has certain Hip Hop artist as well but they also have the elements

I guess it's New York rappers that is not Hip Hop but rap cuz they rap that style such as the ones that are influenced by the South ...

You can call it all Hip Hop but then if your asked to give 3 albums to represent it

Migos and Gucci fall under Trap music but the music is always evolving but they aint Hip Hop to me

That being said this is just my opinion not accepted as rule by the ones who set the guidelines to what is what in the Hip Hop/Rap culture ......

Top 5 Hip Hop artists of all time..

1. K.B.
    2. K.B.
    3. K.B.
    4. K.B.
    5. K.B.

Because he spits hot fire...
  • water ur seeds
    water ur seeds Members Posts: 17,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I would want to see the person get a versitle kinda view of rap... A mixtape would be ideal because it would give a broader sense of styles and artists, but I guess its cheating haha but @5grand Doo ? tapes are the GOAT...

1. Illmatic
    2. The Chronic
    3. Jedi Mind Tricks 'Servants in Heaven, Kings in Hell'
  • JonnyRoccIT
    JonnyRoccIT Members Posts: 14,389 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You really tryna sound smart saying this dumb ?
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    I think if you are going to play a rap/hip hop song for somebody who has never heard it, you should play some East Coast/NY rap.

Playing West Coast or Southern rap doesn't accurately reflect what Hip Hop is, or how it started.

In other words, the purest form of Hip Hop is from New York City.
  • Ear2DaSt
    Options
    i clearly said it was my opinion .... you guys are nerds that like goofy stuff anyways

this is not my first day at the reason ... you guys are weirdos ...but that's ok
  • Busta Carmichael
    Options
    I think if you are going to play a rap/hip hop song for somebody who has never heard it, you should play some East Coast/NY rap.

Playing West Coast or Southern rap doesn't accurately reflect what Hip Hop is, or how it started.

Premo from Texas
  • 5 Grand
    Options

Premo from Texas

True, but he had to get out of Texas and move to Brooklyn to make it happen.

Using that logic, Snoop is from Mississippi, but he obviously formed his style in Cali.
  • Busta Carmichael
    Options

Premo from Texas

True, but he had to get out of Texas and move to Brooklyn to make it happen.

Using that logic, Snoop is from Mississippi, but he obviously formed his style in Cali.

Lmao snoop literally grew up in long beach and went to school there and his whole family was there.

Premo was literally an adult fresh outta college

He's from Texas the same way D.O.C. is from Texas
  • Busta Carmichael
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Just looked snoop up btw.

? snoop was born and raised in long beach lmao what logic are u putting there?