Mindhunter (Netflix) (New Show From David Fincher)

Options
2»

Comments

• King of GA
    King of GA Members Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Madame_CJSkywalker this is what I said on another site about it
    in my uninformed opinion, I think it has something to do with society in the case of white men...like white men are the dominant group so white men in general feel entitled to things they think they should own/have dominance over - which happened to be women and women's sexuality in these cases.

To that point, we really don't have any nonwhite serial killers like that either. It's almost exclusively whites...

You see it manifesting now with all this alt-right ? of white men feeling like they are owed a bigger piece of the pie strictly off their whiteness.

That's interesting and even plausible, however I don't believe that's it. At least not for serial killers. That's what causes white people to blow ? up, not methodically hunt individuals that share similarities with the person who caused them the greatest degree of emotional harm too torture and ? . That is much more deep seated...

If you look at the numbers for serial killers I think you'll find some interesting stuff. I remember reading several years ago that from 1900 to about 1960 there were very few serial killers like less than 20 document. In there 1960s there were just over 20. In the seventies there were around 120 or more and in the 80s there were over 200. That's not murders, that's documented serial killers.

That's quite a jump. And I believe that if you look at how the household changed just prior to that when those guys would have been kids you probably have an answer as to why the number of serial killers multiplied. It goes back to what you've already stated, a great majority of these guys grew up in homes with a domineering mother, single or not, however most were single. I believe the numbers of those types of households probably grew in the 50s and 60s.

• Madame_CJSkywalker
    Madame_CJSkywalker Members Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    in my uninformed opinion, I think it has something to do with society in the case of white men...like white men are the dominant group so white men in general feel entitled to things they think they should own/have dominance over - which happened to be women and women's sexuality in these cases.

To that point, we really don't have any nonwhite serial killers like that either. It's almost exclusively whites...

You see it manifesting now with all this alt-right ? of white men feeling like they are owed a bigger piece of the pie strictly off their whiteness.

Right

Its this sense of entitlement in masculine culture which is so prevalent. The idea that men have to be in control that predisposes them to this type of behavior

For white men they especially think they own the world

The demographics are changing as well

From 1990 to 2010, the most recent year of data in the project, 52.1% of US serials killers were white, while 40.3% were black. The numbers don't change much internationally either. Worldwide, 56.2% are white, while 30% are black.

http://www.businessinsider.com/a-surprising-look-at-the-average-serial-killer-2015-5

I was alil shocked

Think a lot of it has to do with the color the victims. The majority of the time ppl ? ppl of the same race for various reasons. When bodies are discovered or a person goes missing if the victim is a poc we already know the story isnt going to receive the same interest opposed to white victims

To a lesser extent think how the entertainment industry likes to romanticize serial killers perpetuates the idea all serial killers are white men as well. 95% of the time the character is a white man who is this evil yet highly sophisicated killer. Unlike non white ppl + other men they have they the discipline or smarts to evade arrest for years, decades. Etc which we know is ?
  • Madame_CJSkywalker
    Madame_CJSkywalker Members Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    King of GA wrote: »

That's interesting and even plausible, however I don't believe that's it. At least not for serial killers. That's what causes white people to blow ? up, not methodically hunt individuals that share similarities with the person who caused them the greatest degree of emotional harm too torture and ? . That is much more deep seated...

If you look at the numbers for serial killers I think you'll find some interesting stuff. I remember reading several years ago that from 1900 to about 1960 there were very few serial killers like less than 20 document. In there 1960s there were just over 20. In the seventies there were around 120 or more and in the 80s there were over 200. That's not murders, that's documented serial killers.

That's quite a jump. And I believe that if you look at how the household changed just prior to that when those guys would have been kids you probably have an answer as to why the number of serial killers multiplied. It goes back to what you've already stated, a great majority of these guys grew up in homes with a domineering mother, single or not, however most were single. I believe the numbers of those types of households probably grew in the 50s and 60s.

Cosign

Seems like these men not only wanted their mothers acceptance but felt emasculated. And resented/ blamed their mothers for the lack of structure in their lives they believed that only a willing father could provide

That is a big jump in the numbers

With the industrial revolution and the advent of consumerism think a lot of the ? we've seen was unavoidable

Like u were saying over the last 100 years or so, families have been getting more unstable. Think its because unlike back in the day ppl often have to leave their home town and close family ties to attend school and or find work. The cost of living now requires both parents to spend less and less time outside their homes and with their children and or to come home stressed+ overworked. The commercialization of sex and the internet has made it easier to get sex and made relationships more disposable. And it has all led to more substance abuse, child abuse, domestic violence, etc

• AP21
    AP21 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 17,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Max. wrote: »
    20 mins in love the look

Just like zodiac

That's cuz Fincher directed this too

@Max. You might like this
    https://youtu.be/GfqD5WqChUY

word gabi??
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    AP21 wrote: »
    Max. wrote: »
    20 mins in love the look

Just like zodiac

That's cuz Fincher directed this too

@Max. You might like this
    https://youtu.be/GfqD5WqChUY

word gabi??

Yea....lol
  • atribecalledgabi
    Options

That's interesting af...I wonder what made the numbers drop off from the 80s to now. Do you think the rise in mass murderers (like ppl that shoot up schools and the dude that went off in vegas) overtook serial killers? Like if someone was drawn to be a serial killer they'd rather just ? a bunch of ppl at once and get famous?
  • atribecalledgabi
    edited October 2017
    Options

Right

Its this sense of entitlement in masculine culture which is so prevalent. The idea that men have to be in control that predisposes them to this type of behavior

For white men they especially think they own the world

The demographics are changing as well

From 1990 to 2010, the most recent year of data in the project, 52.1% of US serials killers were white, while 40.3% were black. The numbers don't change much internationally either. Worldwide, 56.2% are white, while 30% are black.

http://www.businessinsider.com/a-surprising-look-at-the-average-serial-killer-2015-5

I was alil shocked

Think a lot of it has to do with the color the victims. The majority of the time ppl ? ppl of the same race for various reasons. When bodies are discovered or a person goes missing if the victim is a poc we already know the story isnt going to receive the same interest opposed to white victims

To a lesser extent think how the entertainment industry likes to romanticize serial killers perpetuates the idea all serial killers are white men as well. 95% of the time the character is a white man who is this evil yet highly sophisicated killer. Unlike non white ppl + other men they have they the discipline or smarts to evade arrest for years, decades. Etc which we know is ?

Oh ? ...never woulda guessed there were that many black serial killers. 40% wtf?!?! Good drop on that article
  • King of GA
    King of GA Members Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

That's interesting af...I wonder what made the numbers drop off from the 80s to now. Do you think the rise in mass murderers (like ppl that shoot up schools and the dude that went off in vegas) overtook serial killers? Like if someone was drawn to be a serial killer they'd rather just ? a bunch of ppl at once and get famous?

I think that very well may be a part of it. People are just doing it differently these days.

Also, I think the advancements in police technology with DNA and better equipment probably leads to some of these guys getting caught before they really become serial killers. Now, they might be sitting in jail after ? one or two rather than after ? five, six or seven plus.

One other thing that I think factors in as well is technology in general advancing the way that it has. Now there are cameras everywhere, everybody has a cell phone, add to that that people are generally more alert based on having grown up in an area where there were a lot of Serial killings going on. It simply isn't that convenient to be a serial killer as it was.