Remy Ma Reportedly Signs To Columbia Records

RickyRich
RickyRich Members Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
Remy Ma scores a new deal.

After releasing Plata O Plomo, her 2017 collaborative album with Fat Joe, through RNG, Remy Ma has decided it was time to take her talents elsewhere. It has been confirmed that the "Shether" rapper has officially inked a deal with Columbia Records, although details of the signing have yet to be revealed. That means if you've been eagerly anticipating some news of Remy's upcoming album, you're unfortunately out of luck. At least, for now anyway. What that does mean, however, is that Remy Ma has joined the likes of Beyonce, Dej Loaf, Earl Sweatshirt, Juicy J, Russ, Solange, and Tyler, The Creator.

Congrats to Remy, who has been enjoying one of her biggest years in recent memory. For better or worse, "Shether" propelled her back into the spotlight, and eventually led to her taking home the 2017 Best Female Hip-Hop Artist at the Bet Hip-Hop Awards. Remy is also making moves on the small screen, and is set to appear on Love And Hip-Hop: New York for the eight season of the reality series. During her stint on Love And Hip-Hop: New York, Remy will star alongside Safaree Samuels, Yandy Smith, Bianca Bonnie, Snoop, Rich Dollaz, MariahLynne, DJ Self, Lil Mo, & Karl Dargan.

As for Remy's music, her 2017 numbers are definitely respectable. The album debut at number forty-four on the Billboard charts, with 11,158 sold in its first week. The lead single "All The Way Up" fared better, hitting the 27th spot on Billboard and the 9th on Billboard's hip-hop charts. However, he biggest drop of the year was clearly "Shether," which has since racked up over two million views on Youtube. Stay tuned for more from Remy Ma, including a potential collaboration with Cardi B, which may or may not be in the works.

Comments

• rickmogul
    rickmogul Members Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    She's a G, she's earned it. Welcome back Remy!
  • MECCA1000
    MECCA1000 Members Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "2 million views on YouTube" they really trying to act like that number is serious .......

With the last album weak sales I hope she doesn't take an advance because she gonna have to use her love and hip hop money to pay that recoup ..... smh
  • sapp08_2001
    sapp08_2001 Members Posts: 7,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats to her
  • Ear2DaSt
    Ear2DaSt Members Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    she should stick with fat joe
  • Matike85
    Matike85 Members Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    New York Hip Hop is on revival again.... I feel a wave coming like it's 1994 again
  • Cutler 26 INT's LOL!
    Cutler 26 INT's LOL! Members Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good for Remy.
  • dee.i.pee
    dee.i.pee Members Posts: 632 ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe she can work on Pap getting a deal, he already writes her raps.
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dee.i.? wrote: »

They should do an album together if they haven't already.
  • scrapper1
    scrapper1 Members Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    5 Grand wrote: »
    dee.i.? wrote: »

They should do an album together if they haven't already.

Nah, then they will give it some corny ass title and wear his and hers outfits on the cover and in all of the videos for the singles
  • RickyRich
    remy & lil kim got song coming out . shots will fired at nicki
  • THE_R_
    THE_R_ Members Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    HONESTLY, I DIDN'T EXPECT HER TO RETURN TO A MAJOR...
    THATS WASSUP...I'LL BE CHECKING FOR THIS WHEN IT DROPS...
    SHE WAS NICE ON PLATA O PLOMO (SLEPT-ON ALBUM BTW)...
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In this day and age signing to a major seems like a crazy idea. With the roster Columbia has I doubt she will have much invested into her projects
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lou_Cypher wrote: »
    In this day and age signing to a major seems like a crazy idea. With the roster Columbia has I doubt she will have much invested into her projects

The thing is, a major label can provide tour support. Granted it's recoupable but its difficult to tour without having a sponsor of some sort. Some people have the business acumen to manage a tour but there are other personality types that would rather have somebody else take care of the business and just want to be told when and where to show up.

If Remy gets on a major she gets the best producers, high budget videos, radio promotion, advertising online and in magazines, posters in retail stores and the whole 9 yards.

If she tries to do it herself she'll barely make a blip on anybody's radar. You won't hear any of her songs on the radio or in clubs. And if you do walk into a retail store you won't see any posters advertising her album.

I remember Azeala Banks had an album out during her controversy with Iggy Azeala. My daughter's birthday was coming up so I was going to buy Azeala Banks album. Turns out they didn't even press it on CD so I couldn't buy it.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why are people still enslaving themselves to majors in 2017?
  • Revolver Ocelot
    Revolver Ocelot Members Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

The thing is, a major label can provide tour support. Granted it's recoupable but its difficult to tour without having a sponsor of some sort. Some people have the business acumen to manage a tour but there are other personality types that would rather have somebody else take care of the business and just want to be told when and where to show up.

If Remy gets on a major she gets the best producers, high budget videos, radio promotion, advertising online and in magazines, posters in retail stores and the whole 9 yards.

If she tries to do it herself she'll barely make a blip on anybody's radar. You won't hear any of her songs on the radio or in clubs. And if you do walk into a retail store you won't see any posters advertising her album.

I remember Azeala Banks had an album out during her controversy with Iggy Azeala. My daughter's birthday was coming up so I was going to buy Azeala Banks album. Turns out they didn't even press it on CD so I couldn't buy it.

The ? are you talking bout? Plenty of folks tour without a sponsor
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭

She's also gonna be in debt for life. Most artists with 15x her buzz don't even do well enough to even recoup advances. What makes her different? She peaked almost 20 yrs ago when the major label landscape was still healthy.
  • RickyRich
    is people actually gonna go buy her albums tho?
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not praising somebody for signing to a label when they came in the game over 12+ years ago
  • qawshun
    qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Matike85 wrote: »
    New York Hip Hop is on revival again.... I feel a wave coming like it's 1994 again

With who???? 94 was a strong year
  • anduin
    anduin Members Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2 million views lol, thats youtube vlogger numbers in 1 week
  • a_list
    a_list Members Posts: 4,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hopefully a good deal was negotiated for her... Keep Joe around to exec produce the albums...