What's up everybody! Just a quick message. We will be relaunching AllHipHop.com with the goal of keeping the community front and center. I have worked with Jamal and select moderators, to make sure The Illl Community's needs are being addressed as we evolve. We are encouraging you to use the new platform.

We will NOT be closing the current community, but we will be porting user data over to the new system over time, so please get used to using the new community!

We will be working on it every single day until it's exactly what you want!

Please feel free to join now, test, as we are in beta:

https://www.allhiphop.com

Mid 80s Hip Hop With Monster Beats

5 Grand5 Grand Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2017 in The Reason
In the early 80s Rap music was composed like R&B records. They had a drummer, bass player, keyboards and maybe some guitars and/or horns. But technology changed and drum machines and synthesizers became more common. This was right before sampling took off.

So after Sucker MCs was released in 1983 Hip Hop producers started using drum machines and synthesizers (which is why Sugarhill folded, they were still using musicians). After Sucker MCs rappers started rapping over really loud, BIG beats, which sounded acoustically different than R&B. This is when Rap/Hip Hop developed its own sound. Subsequently older people and radio stations didn't like it and Rap was forced underground.

Anyway, here's a few songs with Monster beats. (BTW, the term "Monster Beats" was coined at Olschoolhiphop.com. Thats what the cats from the U.K. call it)

So anyway, Hip Hop producers were making these really loud, big beats. Then when sampling became common Hip Hop producers started sampling breaks and loops from 70s records, which weren't as loud, or big.
l3q2V2OBfjNAWtrUc.gif

Matike85

Replies

• rickmogulrickmogul IFNOTYNOT Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roxanne Shante: Big Payback! Man Marley had THEE dopest most quintessential kicks and snares in hip hop! This is what mad NWA's Dope Man BOOM so much that Shante kick and snares!
    5 Grand
  • 5 Grand5 Grand Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rickmogul wrote: »
    Roxanne Shante: Big Payback! Man Marley had THEE dopest most quintessential kicks and snares in hip hop! This is what mad NWA's Dope Man BOOM so much that Shante kick and snares!

Here it is; Payback - Roxanne Shante

However, some cats from England took the same beat and annihilated it. This might be the most extreme case of taking somebody else's beat and ripping it iller than the original artist.

Ragamuffin Hip Hop - Asher D and Daddy Freddy
    l3q2V2OBfjNAWtrUc.gif

Matike85rickmogul
    I've tried to explain this before. Hopefully you guys can understand what I'm trying to say. I was like 11/12 years old when this stuff came out. It was the greatest thing in the world to me but older people hated it because it was anti-music.

Here's some more;

l3q2V2OBfjNAWtrUc.gif

Matike85rickmogul
    Here's one that's anti-music. Picture being around adults that listened to The Temptations, Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder and James Brown and putting a song like this on the record player. Between the loud monster beat and the scratching its understandable why the adults didn't consider this music.

l3q2V2OBfjNAWtrUc.gif

Here's a few more. I'm having fun.

I heard there was a club in the mid 80s called The Latin Quarters. This was the song that you had to tuck your chain in.

l3q2V2OBfjNAWtrUc.gif

• JonnyRoccITJonnyRoccIT . . . Player Shit ONLY . ZONE 6 Atlanta, GAPosts: 14,388 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Inserts

I fucking love this album
    "GOD BLESS THE COLLAR POP . . ."

tumblr_mv8yr1BrOZ1qmwidzo1_500.gif
    Matike85Revolver Ocelot
  • mc317mc317 Chief Of Goddamn Station Dark Side of The MoonPosts: 5,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cold Sardines Cold Sardines fuck em and feed em Cold Sardines
    Matike85
  • Matike85Matike85 Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭✭✭