This Rapper introduced this to the game? History

Options
luke1733
luke1733 Members Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2017 in The Reason
Name that rapper that you think brought something new to the game that rappers weren't doing before:

Nas-intricate storytelling on almost everysong while using a nonstop flow and a broad vocabulary while staying on one topic.

NWA-introduced gangsta rap on a broader scale that resulted in The White House and FBI trying to censor them; while highlighting life in Compton

KRS-One- Rap focused on enlightening the listener of his/her own consciousness as a Af. Am.

Outkast-Putting Atlanta on the map of rap

Wu-Tang- Largest rap group to produce so many platinum albums. Introduced asian martial art movies into their music and catered to the Asian market in a way Run-DMC didn't.

2 Live Crew-Strippers, ? and Hoes.

I could keep going, but I'll see what you can bring.
(Pac, Rakim, TI, Snoop, Master P, Run-DMC, Bone Thugz, Too Short, Big Sean, Kendrick, Missy Elliott, The Roots,MC Hammer, Drake)

Comments

• sully
    sully Members, Writer Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well the Wu did more than just introduce martial arts movies and cater to the Asian market.

Wu's real influence on hip hop is through the business side, and their forming crews that weren't all signed to a single label.

They also moved the needle on rappers opening their own labels. Before Roc-A-Fella, Shady clothing, G-unit clothing, etc, Wu had their clothing label. Their clothing still probably looks better than the majority of aforementioned clothing lines too. That ? was (and is) so tacky. But Wu clothing still gets repped. Every now and then i'll see someone rocking clothing with the Wu logo on it, and still looks dope.

Wu also played to the listeners' ear as much as the music itself. 36 Chambers was purposely mastered to sound like a cassette tape, playing to the idea of the album being a specific experience rather than just another album with a collection of songs.

For Heavens' Sake was also the song that spawned the entire style of Kanye West and The Heatmakerz. Without that song and the Wu's performance, it's arguable whether those producers would've had the same career trajectories. It was also influential on Just Blaze's style and hence, the production on multiple Jay-Z albums.

---

Redman - introduced the rapper with multiple profiles (though popularized by the Wu), and invented all that raar-raar ? , dat 'jump-up-and-ready-to-? -? -up-now-? '.

• *~queenbee~*
    *~queenbee~* Members Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This thread has potential!
  • luke1733
    Options
    This thread has potential!

we'll see.
  • Weazel
    Weazel Members Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    2Pac
    - first double album in Hip Hop
    - first rapper to wear record label related jewellery
  • water ur seeds
    water ur seeds Members Posts: 17,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I think Soulja Boy introduced 'internet' rappers and ring tone rap... Wasnt he 'found' on MySpace???

Not that I think his contribution was a good one haha
  • gum989
    gum989 Members Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Weazel wrote: »
    2Pac

Esham had a double album before this, with "Judgement Day/Judgement Night", but the 2 parts WERE sold separately.
  • SELASI_i
    SELASI_i Members Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    E40 - hater, player hater, captain save a hoe, triple beam scale
  • Serious Juice Mayne
    Serious Juice Mayne Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Puffy - acceptable in rap music for ? to be doing ?
  • goldenja
    goldenja Members Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LL Cool J- Hip Hop Ballads?
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Public Enemy was the first group to have a hype man. Also, their use of sampling was ahead of their time. They have lots of samples coming in and out almost like music, but its not in key.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOe7HdN7mPA
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Run DMC- Introduced being fly to the game with the sneakers, leather pants and blazers and fedoras. Prior to that most rappers came out the Punk/Funkadelic era and dressed as such
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Run DMC- Introduced being fly to the game with the sneakers, leather pants and blazers and fedoras. Prior to that most rappers came out the Punk/Funkadelic era and dressed as such

True but Eric B and Rakim stepped it up a notch

2d2eb3901b47b775aae6bc88a53f65c3.500x500x1.jpg

1713ce371650ee7598e9667fc6d09771.549x558x1.jpg
  • Matike85
    Matike85 Members Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Weazel wrote: »
    2Pac
    Actually....and won the first Rap Grammy and first TV Show on a major network
    swr820nn4rza.png
    sg89133sfrbj.gif
  • rickmogul
    rickmogul Members Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Slick Rick: Crumbs! Just sawgged it out with the Super Truck jewels and story telling so vivid u could see it!
  • THE_R_
    THE_R_ Members Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MELLE MEL: REALITY RAP
    LL COOL J: R&B ?
    BIZ MARKIE: ANIMATED RAPPERS
    KOOL KEITH: ALTER-EGO L.P.'S
  • Qiv_Owan
    Qiv_Owan Members Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bone Thugs, Kanye, Gucci, Cudi : All these new ?
  • trilladelic
    trilladelic Members Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ugk: "trill"
    Willie d: the first rapper that u couldn't mistake for being anywhere but the south..
    Dj Screw: at first slowed down mixtapes now it's almost a subgenre itself..
    Gangsta nip: horrorcore (for better or worse)
    Scarface: emo rap
    Outkast: Pretty much everything out the south was either gangsta rap or ? shake with not much in between. They added a kinda Ny backpack-y down to earth vibe..
  • trilladelic
    trilladelic Members Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Too Short: he kinda pioneered the independent out of the trunk way of selling your music as far as rap goes. And also beeeyitch!!
  • Matike85
    Matike85 Members Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mac Dre... google him
  • CashmoneyDux
    CashmoneyDux Members Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lil Wayne: Fast food bars
  • water ur seeds
    Options
    I would say G rap bought the modern flow into rap and Mafiaso type rap too...
  • water ur seeds
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Also 'Above The Law' bringing in the West Coast G Funk??? Even if EPMD was messing with simiar sounds too...
  • luke1733
    edited November 2017
    Options
    This is off the top of my head so I'm not saying I'm 100% right.
    Slick rick-the first artist known for storytelling in a fiction type of way with playful made up characters. Also was one of the first artists to have a melody in his flow style that made it sound like he was kind of singing a rap in his verses. This later was extended by Snoop, Lil Wayne and a number of infinite rappers who began pitching their voices in a musical key when delivering their rhymes.
    Public enemy-First rap group to try and bring a united movement under black activism. They went back to the neighborhood and schools to encourage Blacks and black rappers to return to their communities and serve them with education and business.
    TI- created trap muzik (maybe or at least constantly referred to his music as trap muzik) and first male solo artist form ATL who was considered a legitimate rap artist to go platinum. (Jermaine Dupri wasn’t really considered a rapper. Kilo was a great rapper but I don’t think his albums went platinum)

Run Dmc- one of rap's first rap duo's. Brought a braggadocio rap style of bravado that turned themselves into a trend for marketing, branding Adidas and trying to turn the rap group’s name into a brand itself. Also took efforts to cross over audiences with rock n’ roll. Also was the beginning of the legendary Russell simmons Def Jam.

Def Jam- one of the first rap record companies headed by a black man. It promoted multiple rappers and distributed rap music around the world, started clothing lines, tv programs like Def Comedy Jam which gave Martin, Chris Tucker, Bernie Mac, Bill Bellamy major publicity.

Afrika bambaata-credited for being one of the first rappers period. He was among those who created it and took it from DJ’s spinning records and talking over a beat to the literal art form we know.

Missy Elliott-(I could be wrong) First female rapper dancer to produce many of her own beats, sing complete songs for R&B/New Jack Swing without rapping at all and THEN on the next song rap completely and sing her choruses while investing heavily in creative dance videos.

Ice Cube- the first rapper to use racial slurs constantly against white people when addressing them in his platinum albums. Also was the first to preach, teach and ridicule those who signed with companies THUS making him one of rap’s first proponents of taking ownership of one’s music. Also one of the first rappers to produce and direct highly successful independent movies.

Tupac- created a movement titled "Thug Life". He wanted and talked about taking those in society considered the to be the worst and gave reasons as to why he thought they were great and to be admired. He showed the fear people had of the thugs should be admired as power the thugs had over the world and how if thugs united they could just take over because people would be scared of them. He also was big on being one of the first artists to attempt to shut down other artists physically and business wise. He and Death Row attempted to threaten other groups and Coasts of rap to make it seem that if you weren't with his movement then you shouldn't rap or be allowed to rap. His influence in rap in my lifetime was so big that he single-handedly changed a ton of suburban black kids into thugs and white kids and made almost everyone want to affiliate or be identified as such. He also was one of the first rappers to constantly publicize that everything he said in his rhymes was based on his life and was true. Also one of the first rappers to star in a couple of movies that did well nationally (Juice&Poetic Justice). Also one of the first rappers who seemed to have an infinite number of topics to rap about: from women, to raising kids, black activism, to changing rap flows, to dance music, to gangsta music, to whatever. It's hard to argue, but in my opinion he was one of the first rappers to be a complete solo act package. He wasn't the best at any one aspect of rap, but he embodied almost every aspect of rap at a high level in a way that was better than any other rapper at the time could do all at the same time.

Rakim-Responsible for the flow of rapping that almost all of rap has transitioned to after him. Before him rappers rapped like Run-DMC, Grandmaster Flash and the Furious 5, and after his nonstop rhythmic flow that kept a tone and a breath that seemed to hold verse after verse before taking another breath. He also changed the depths of what was consiered a rhyme in rap, from rapping basic things about what one sees and who one is through their ego to a Rakim based philosophical third person type view on perspective and rhyme schemes where there were rhymes inside of rhymes on each line every time that went inside each listener's mind like a sign of the times. Basically, he single-handedly elevated the rhyme of rap and the thought platform of how to talk about a topic in depth with complex metaphors and analogies. He did for rap what Stevie Wonder did to R&B. And yeah, he was well before my day, but I was young enough to still hear rappers acknowledge his genius.

Master P- first rapper that had every kid thinking they could sell a million tapes out the trunk of their cars in the South. Thus, an abundance of untalented rappers putting out a new sound in the south that could get play in strip clubs. Which this led to a much lower level of content in rap music and a bigger focus on giving that one chorus line chant. Master P known for being his own music distributor and record label from his inception with No Limit rivaling major record labels without any private distributors or record labels backing him. Before him people like Puff Daddy and rappers had been selling their tapes to Dj's but it wasn't the same as how Master P was doing it.