dontdiedontkillanyon
dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comments

• dontdiedontkillanyon
    Björk On New LP: “This Is Like My Tinder Album”
    James Rettig 11:51 am

DGKBDkjUIAERUId-1501775215-543x720.jpg

Yesterday, Björk launched a pre-order for her new album — the follow-up to 2015’s Vulnicura — with the promise that it was “coming out very soon.” Today, she’s on the cover of Dazed magazine (shot by Jesse Kanda) with an accompanying story that offers up some additional details on her latest project.

The new album — which, when the feature was reported mid-June, was still unfinished and untitled — was co-produced by Arca. The two of them started collaborating from the very beginning of the album process, and Björk started working on it almost immediately after finishing Vulnicura. She describes her collaboration with Arca as “the strongest musical relationship I’ve had,” and likens it to the relationship between Joni Mitchell and Jaco Pastorius for Hejira and Don Juan’s Reckless Daughter: “You can tell they’re doing the tango. It’s that synergy when two people lose their ego.” The album also features a collaboration with Texas producer Rabit.

She describes it as her “dating album”: “It’s like my Tinder album. It is definitely about that search — and about being in love. Spending time with a person you enjoy on every level is obviously utopia, you know? I mean, it’s real. It’s when the dream comes real.”

It’s also subtly political: “Maybe that’s why it became a utopian theme — if we’re gonna survive not only my personal drama but also the sort of situation the world is in today, we’ve got to come up with a new plan,” she said. “If we don’t have the dream, we’re just not gonna change. Especially now, this kind of dream is an emergency.”

Some names of potential new songs are mentioned: “Allow,” “Loss,” “Features Creatures,” and “The Gate,” a “love song” that sounds like it could be a single because they’ve already shot a video directed by Andrew Thomas Huang for it.

The Dazed story writer Selim Bulut described the new songs as “feel[ing] lighter than air” and writes that “[Vulnicura]’s elegiac string arrangements [are] replaced by flutes and woodwind instruments.” The album also features birdsong to emphasizes its environmental element (something that Björk said she talked about with Anohni), using some original recordings from Björk and others from David Toop’s 1980 release Hekura.

There’s no details as to when it’ll be released yet, but hopefully soon!

http://www.stereogum.com/1955719/bjork-on-new-lp-this-is-like-my-tinder-album/news/#comments
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    hello ,

it is time for the good news and healing to commence : there is a brand spanking new björk single approaching us , and we would like to give you the opportunity to secure one for yourself before everyone else . we think that is what you might want , and if you think so too , then we are all thinking as one , which is great !

anyway ! the single is called 'the gate' , a push toward healing the hurts of the past and letting new color into life . it comes out on one-sided 12" vinyl on september 22 , but will be available for digital download on september 18 ; we hope you enjoy the love and let it help you find yourself in these troubled times .

be well , and stay safe ,
    bjork.com

• konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My roommate back in college put me on to The Sugarcubes back in 1990. That was my first exposure to Bjork. She did a couple of tracks with 808 State, "Ooops" and "Qmart", on their album "ex:el" that dropped in the spring of '91. I kept that tape in the ride for a couple of years, mostly because "Ooops" was a good song to set the mood for the long drives between Detroit and Ypsi/Ann Arbor and Detroit to Saginaw that I made on a regular basis.

Funny thing... I've never really been a fan of her solo albums.
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    My roommate back in college put me on to The Sugarcubes back in 1990. That was my first exposure to Bjork. She did a couple of tracks with 808 State, "Ooops" and "Qmart", on their album "ex:el" that dropped in the spring of '91. I kept that tape in the ride for a couple of years, mostly because "Ooops" was a good song to set the mood for the long drives between Detroit and Ypsi/Ann Arbor and Detroit to Saginaw that I made on a regular basis.

Funny thing... I've never really been a fan of her solo albums.

That's crazy considering the majority of her popularity come from her solo albums, but yeah she was in The Sugarcubes, and I forgot about the stuff she did with 808 State.
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    Björk Reveals New Album Release Date, Stunning Cover

“over the moon and jupiter gratitudes to magical arca for making the music of this album with me,” she says of Utopia

Bjork12398123091.jpg

Björk has unveiled the cover and release date of her new album Utopia. It’s out November 24. Jesse Kanda made the cover, which you can see below, with assistance from Björk, James Merry, and Hungry. “thank you for telepathically getting me,” she wrote, addressing her collaborators. She added, “over the moon and jupiter gratitudes to magical arca for making the music of this album with me : what a profound and nourishing trip this has been !!!” In his own statement, Arca reflected the album’s creation: “the licking raindrops out of the salty air in the tropics & listening for birds, swimming in green rivers, the fires crackling through snow ... the dark grey storm and the luminous rainbow that flooded the air after.” Read Björk’s statement below.

So far, Björk has shared a music video for her single “The Gate,” which features a Gucci dress that took 870 hours to make. Leading up to the release, Björk interviewed herself and opened up about her creative process on RBMA’s podcast “Couch Wisdom.” Her last studio album, Vulnicura, came out in 2015.

100000x100000-999.jpg

https://pitchfork.com/news/bjork-reveals-new-album-release-date-stunning-cover/?mbid=homepage-more-latest-and-video