Options
    4:44
    Must just be me but I thought Damn was a major disappointment

Naw it's not just you
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    Jigga put out a classic this year. Y'all need to enjoy this ?
  • JonnyRoccIT
    JonnyRoccIT Members Posts: 14,389 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DAMN.
    GetoBoy wrote: »
    bck145 wrote: »
    Damn shittin on 4:44, only old Boom Bap ass ? gon say Jay made the better album because they can’t face that a New Gen Rapper is Better than Jay Z is Today and he’s considered as the GOAT by a lot of ppl.

FOH, just because a ? made a track saying ? need to get they Credit together and pointing out how White ppl had a Systemic advantage over Blacks on a track didn’t have as much of an “Impact” as ? making it out to be.
    “FEAR & DUCKWORTH” shittin on that entire album, now watch the flags come in from you Old Jay Stans

Pure rapping>>>sing rapping *shrugs*

Sing rapping >>>> not rapping and doing spoken word

Glad 4:44 wasn't spoken word but Damm was definitely sing rapping

Jayz didnt spaz out on a flow once during the whole album...did he flow at all? Sounded like just a bunch of talking on a beat

Its was a cafe open mic sounding album

Jay 3rd verse on Smile>>>>any verse on Damn..... And even if you don't believe that talking on a beat beats singing on a beat I wanna hear a ? singing I'll go cop a R&B album I wanna hear rhymes

Kendrick was NOT singing the Entire album, stop acting like he did.

Once again, "FEAR." & "DUCKWORTH." >>> Entire 4:44
    Even the Concept and Structure of the Album was better...Jay can't do w/ an Album what Kendrick has.
    K Dot gives you an EXPERIENCE...Jay gon give you some Over-hyped tracks that fizzle out next Month.

We can Name Wack Jay albums, K Dot ain't put out a Below Average album YET,
    and that's 4 Albums & 2 "Mixtapes/Street Albums" so far and that's Facts brah
  • GetoBoy
    GetoBoy Members Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn shittin on 4:44, only old Boom Bap ass ? gon say Jay made the better album because they can’t face that a New Gen Rapper is Better than Jay Z is Today and he’s considered as the GOAT by a lot of ppl.

FOH, just because a ? made a track saying ? need to get they Credit together and pointing out how White ppl had a Systemic advantage over Blacks on a track didn’t have as much of an “Impact” as ? making it out to be.
    “FEAR & DUCKWORTH” shittin on that entire album, now watch the flags come in from you Old Jay Stans

Jayz didnt spaz out on a flow once during the whole album...did he flow at all? Sounded like just a bunch of talking on a beat

Jay 3rd verse on Smile>>>>any verse on Damn..... And even if you don't believe that talking on a beat beats singing on a beat I wanna hear a ? singing I'll go cop a R&B album I wanna hear rhymes

Even the Concept and Structure of the Album was better...Jay can't do w/ an Album what Kendrick has.
    K Dot gives you an EXPERIENCE...Jay gon give you some Over-hyped tracks that fizzle out next Month.

What do all they album's gotta do with those conversation??? He sung half the album so you right Jay can't do with a album what Kdot did becuz Jay not singing on half his album.... Damn is a dope album but in comparison to another dope album that's all raps and no singing give me the all rap album especially when I believe it's a classic which I don't feel about Damm
  • Matike85
    Matike85 Members Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    DAMN.
    Jigga put out a classic this year. Y'all need to enjoy this ?

DJ Akademiks expose Jay Z 4:44 tour for canceling shows for low venue sales
    https://youtu.be/YseCGyhy7Zs
  • JonnyRoccIT
    Options
    DAMN.
    I Decided won’t even make it in the top 10 by the time the Years over with
  • JonnyRoccIT
    Options
    DAMN.

What do all they album's gotta do with those conversation??? He sung half the album so you right Jay can't do with a album what Kdot did becuz Jay not singing on half his album.... Damn is a dope album but in comparison to another dope album that's all raps and no singing give me the all rap album especially when I believe it's a classic which I don't feel about Damm

Lol i guess bro...that’s what i was getting at about new gen rappers because most MFs are Harmonizing and placing melodies within their Music these days. It’s Cool to sing now. Doesn’t change the fact it’s a Rap album
    I thought it was about the overall body of work and not matter of preference. I Prefer raps too, but Kendrick’s “singing” still outweighs Jays “Raps” IMO
  • GetoBoy
    edited November 2017
    Options

Lol i guess bro...that’s what i was getting at about new gen rappers because most MFs are Harmonizing and placing melodies within their Music these days. It’s Cool to sing now. Doesn’t change the fact it’s a Rap album
    I thought it was about the overall body of work and not matter of preference. I Prefer raps too, but Kendrick’s “singing” still outweighs Jays “Raps” IMO

It's all a matter of preference lol you prefer Kdot singing over Jay rapping....I prefer all rapping of high quality over any singing of any quality give me Marcy Me, Smile, Family Feud, Bam rap songs over Love, Loyalty, or those other singy rap songs that just ain't my thing it's the reason I'm not a fan of Drake and most of these other new ? that don't mean it's bad music it's just not my version of rap but I'm not a new era kid so yea it's not suppose to be but for you and those like you it is
  • JonnyRoccIT
    Options
    DAMN.

It's all a matter of preference lol you prefer Kdot singing over Jay rapping....I prefer all rapping of high quality over any singing of any quality give me Marcy Me, Smile, Family Feud, Bam rap songs over Love, Loyalty, or those other singy rap songs that just ain't my thing it's the reason I'm not a fan of Drake that don't mean it's bad music it's just not my version of rap but I'm not a new era kid so yea it's not suppose to be but for you and those like you it is

I'm a Fan of Good Music PERIOD, IDC what Era we in or listening to...I can sit here and talk to you about Music from any coast, subgenre, or Era. But I'm not gonna disqualify nor discredit an album because he "sung" on some of the tracks and the other didn't. Jay has a Goofy ass voice as it is, him Singing would sound Horrific. So he sticks to what ALWAYS worked for him.
    Kendrick isn't and never has been afraid to step outside his comfort Zone and push the envelope.
    The Point is, it worked...It was Effective. It Sounded Good.

• rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DAMN.
    miami cane wrote: »
    Damn... This was easy. Damn is just that great to me. 4:44 is awesome and the best Jay best album since AG, but it still ain't in the level of Damn. Just my humble opinion.

Bars....
  • GetoBoy
    Options

It's all a matter of preference lol you prefer Kdot singing over Jay rapping....I prefer all rapping of high quality over any singing of any quality give me Marcy Me, Smile, Family Feud, Bam rap songs over Love, Loyalty, or those other singy rap songs that just ain't my thing it's the reason I'm not a fan of Drake that don't mean it's bad music it's just not my version of rap but I'm not a new era kid so yea it's not suppose to be but for you and those like you it is

I'm a Fan of Good Music PERIOD, IDC what Era we in or listening to...I can sit here and talk to you about Music from any coast, subgenre, or Era. But I'm not gonna disqualify nor discredit an album because he "sung" on some of the tracks and the other didn't. Jay has a Goofy ass voice as it is, him Singing would sound Horrific. So he sticks to what ALWAYS worked for him.
    Kendrick isn't and never has been afraid to step outside his comfort Zone and push the envelope.
    The Point is, it worked...It was Effective. It Sounded Good.

? Kdot voice sounds goofy when he sing that's why I hate that ? lol.... And you keep talking about discredit who discredited it I said it was a dope album how is me saying I prefer all rap over singing rap discrediting it??? Y'all be too sensitive I swear it's probably all that singy rap y'all listen to smh

Damn is a dope album but it's not my cup of tea I prefer all rap albums when I pick up a rap album not sum hybrid crossover that don't mean it's bad it means I don't think it's better then just pure rap imo that ? better
  • JonnyRoccIT
    Options
    DAMN.
    Lol right
  • rip.dilla
    Options
    DAMN.
    Bruh DAMN. is still a rap album, ? was still spittin bars on it .... the singing was just sparse on the record

If Andre 3000 dropped an album today he's gonna sing on 75% on that ? and ? would automatically brand it classic... K. Dot is a rapper who's understudied 3K's musical style
  • BrideofKilla
    BrideofKilla Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DAMN.
    If you don't go to the church of Kendrick
    https://youtu.be/Jy1xXnalMtI
    Then we can't even be cool
  • GetoBoy
    edited November 2017
    Options
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    Bruh DAMN. is still a rap album, ? was still spittin bars on it .... the singing was just sparse on the record

If Andre 3000 dropped an album today he's gonna sing on 75% on that ? and ? would automatically brand it classic... K. Dot is a rapper who's understudied 3K's musical style

Well I've never been a fan of 3k doing that ? either so I wouldn't be calling it nothing..... Y'all gotta tighten up I know ? love them sum Kdot in here but that don't mean his singing weird voices style is for everybody it's ok for ppl to still believe it's dope just not for them gawd damn I like my rappers rapping becuz that's what I came to hear what's the problem lol
  • rip.dilla
    Options
    DAMN.
    rip.dilla wrote: »

Well I've never been a fan of 3k doing that ? either so I wouldn't be calling it nothing..... Y'all gotta tighten up I know ? love them sum Kdot in here but that don't mean his singing weird voices style is for everybody it's ok for ppl to still believe it's dope just not for them gawd damn I like my rappers rapping becuz that's what I came to hear what's the problem lol

I hope you meant 'lighten'..

Now my little gripe with 4:44. Out of the 10 tracks I skip three. I think in terms of collaboration on the record, No. ID trumped Jay. Flawless production

However I noticed Jay's flow was a bit choppy on some songs... lyrical content was on point throughout though. It's among my Top 5 list of JAY-Z albums
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
    4:44 is something you can grow with. DAMN to me kinda came and went and something you need to be in the mood for.
  • sapp08_2001
    sapp08_2001 Members Posts: 7,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    DAMN.
    Damn Jay-z really strugglin check this out. Ticket sales so low rows goin for $6.00
    https://news.hiphopearly.com/jay-z-struggling-to-sell-seats-on-444-tour/
    . I think the fans have spoken
    source.gif
  • Midwest_Journalist
    Midwest_Journalist Members Posts: 321 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    DAMN.
    DAMN. was way better.

I appreciate Jay-Z's word play & message on 4:44, but Kendrick's album was 10x more entertaining. I'll put it this way with a hypothetical situation: If I had to drive across the country and I had to choose between the two albums to play on repeat, I'm picking DAMN. 4:44 would probably put me to sleep faster.
  • Midwest_Journalist
    Midwest_Journalist Members Posts: 321 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DAMN.
    Damn Jay-z really strugglin check this out. Ticket sales so low rows goin for $6.00
    https://news.hiphopearly.com/jay-z-struggling-to-sell-seats-on-444-tour/
    . I think the fans have spoken
    source.gif

He's going to need B to come sing and twerk.

beyonce.gif
  • Roster Player #99
    Roster Player #99 Members Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol this is like battle of the stans with terrible taste in music
  • Preach2Teach
    Preach2Teach Members Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DAMN.
    444 was Jay crying like a ? about cheating on Beyonce, what happened to the hustler who would never give his heart to a women for nothing? DAMN is just a better album how the ? is Jay winning this pole?

On another note that Jay line "I can see a side eye in my sleep" is a Pusha T line, add it to the collection of his many bites and don't forget to flag me haha.
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Here's the album reviews I did for both....am I wrong?

First up: DAMN....
    Mister B. wrote: »
    Like it or not......my album review:

“All hail King Kendrick!”

Yep. That’s what’s most of the hip-hop world has been shouting since the young Mr. Kendrick Duckworth’s last offering to the world, To ? A Butterfly, won the title of Best Rap Album last year at the Grammys. Since then, we’ve all anointed the metrication of his talents, flow, and creativity, and was even super amped at that now-infamous Control verse that put half of hip-hop young field on notice that he was out to claim the title. After a compilation album Untitled Unmastered gave us a tease at what was to come, plus his big “? you” performance to cops everywhere at the 2016 Grammys, most of the hip-hop community feels as though he’s validated that statement of being the crème de la crème of the world of bars and beats.

So now, the newest champ of rhymes and life has graced the world with DAMN., which goes deeper into the world of the king and how he’s handling the this new strange world of royalty, loyalty, power, fame, and the game. This album dives pretty deep into the rabbit hole of Wonderbars and a who’s who of producers, mostly led by Sounwave, Mike Will Made It, and Top Dawg (obviously).

K-Dot is KING. Deal with it: In the wake of hip-hop’s resurgence over the last few years, this album is able to do what quite frankly, 99.5% of other albums couldn’t – venture sonically into different realms of music, while still staying true to its roots. The last album to accomplish this feat on this level was Kanye’s My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. This album see us listeners hear the adventure of Kendrick’s alter ego, Kung-Fu Kenny, and his repeated lines of “nobody’s praying for me”, which he figures by now, goes with the territory of being the top of the food chain. While he deals with it mostly with no worries, the album starts with him telling a story of an old woman who claims he’s lost his life on “Blood”. Using the ? News clips starts off the first real song of the album, DNA, which is the album strongest banger track, and will be in ALL clubs for the next three months, guaranteed. DJ Kid Capri provides us with that mixtape feel, announcing “new ? ” as the album switches to “Yah” (as well as several tracks) and all the news that comes with the being a target now. “Element”, an up tempo track will surely have us all jamming to the hook of (“If I gotta slap a ? -ass ? , I’ma make it look sexy/If I gotta go hard on a bih, I’ma make it look sexy/I pull up, hop out, hair out, made it look sexy/They won’t take me out my element/Naaaaah, take me out my element.”) “Feel” is just that: how he feels about…everything: who’s after his spot, whether he’s now a legend, and how he should feel about being looked up to….and why no one’s praying for him.

The ups and downs are all there throughout the album, with very little guest spots: Rhianna joins the journey for “Loyalty”, Zacari helps out on “Love”, even U2 is featured on “? ”. The last three tracks of “Fear”, “? ”, and “Duckworth” all seem to interlock better than anything else here as we get a glimpse into a childhood of ass beatings everywhere in a seven-year-old’s life (“I’ll beat your ass if you tell them social workers he live here/I’ll beat your ass if I beat your ass twice and you’re still here”), what’s it’s like to be treated as boss in the game now blessed by ? , to a story of how the Kendrick Lamar we know almost never happened if one of his partners had been killed, but decided to patch up a beef and pursue the rap game. All in all, K-Dot opens up his whole dimension we haven’t seen in his personal life since good kid/M.A.A.D. City, and while his flow still reigns supreme, it’s more of the openness of this album that has made it stand out in 2017 from most others.

Victory lap? It COULD’VE been: OK, like I said before – Kendrick IS king right now. That doesn’t mean I didn’t have questions or things about this album I really couldn’t ride with. My first gripe is the constant up and down feeling out of the album. Just when DNA puts you in a fired up move, Yah takes your emotions right back down to almost near-depression levels. Just when Fear has you feeling like “DAMN. That’s some real spit”, ? sounds more like a vogue-Justin Timberlake-like track. Oh: that’s the second gripe I have with this one. I can understand coming out-of-pocket, but too many tracks sound like other artists. “Loyalty” sounds like something that actually was left off of Aubrey’s “More Life”, and “Love” has a real “Hotline Bling” feel to it. For all the angles each song addressed in his life, there wasn’t enough “jams” on here for me to really enjoy. “DNA” goes nuts (and was finally released as a video, with Don Cheadle doing the honors there) and “Element” brings me something to two-step to, but for the most part this isn’t an album that bangs in the whip, which was one of the things GK/MC and TPAB was able to do regularly. For a Kendrick album, there are a few throwaways here, and that kind of stunned me.

My scores:
    Lyricism: 9.5/10

Production: 9/10

Album Cohesiveness: 9.25/10

Replay Value: 7/10

Overall: 8.5/10

Final Thoughts: When I first heard this album had dropped, coming off of Joey Bada$$’s release, I was sure DAMN would up that ante, and maybe touched more on police brutality, Black America, the anti-45 movement, or something along those lines. I didn’t get any of that here. Instead, I got a guy at the top of game that had a great opportunity to run light years around the rest of the game, but seemed to be more concerned with just letting everyone else know he was the top of the food chain. Don’t get me wrong – he’s right to say that, but he earned that by not having to tell us all in the most secret and abstract of ways. Instead of lapping everyone three times over, seems like he just reduced his lead over everyone to simple shouting distance. DAMN is a very nice mix of bars, beats, experimentation, trials and tribulations, and confidence, but it IS lacking that furiousness and rebellion that made him Hip-Hop’s current champion.

Nevertheless, Kendrick Lamar IS Hip-Hop’s current champion and this will please pretty much everyone.

Personal Favorite Tracks: DNA, Element, Fear, Duckworth