Burial - Untrue: The making of a masterpiece

Options
dontdiedontkillanyon
dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2017 in R&B & Alternatives
Burial's Untrue: The making of a masterpiece

https://youtu.be/Et5B-zfAIIo

Ten years since its release, we unpack the creative process behind one of electronic music's most mysterious classics.

Where would UK dance music be without Burial's Untrue? The South Londoner's second album, released ten years ago this month on Hyperdub, has arguably done more than any other record in recent history to shape electronic music, presenting not only novel production techniques but the power of rooting a record in a specific time, mood and place. Through its dank textures and heart-wrenching vocals, Untrue portrays the darker side of London, a rainy metropolis filled with lonely citizens and long-forgotten clubs. But it's not all doom and gloom. Peeking through the shadows are glimmers of light, hope, even euphoria. To quote the man himself, it's these flashes that ultimately give Untrue its "buzzin', glowy, uplifting" edge.

This video essay, the first of its kind on Resident Advisor, tells the story of Untrue, from the software and the samples to its influence on a whole generation of producers. The mystery surrounding Burial means there's a lot we'll probably never know. But then that's part of what makes Untrue such an iconic piece of work.

https://www.residentadvisor.net/features/3102

Comments

• lazypakman
    lazypakman Members Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This very board is where i got put up onto Burial (and hyperdub as a label in general), i remember when archangel was song of the week on itunes.

Didn't realise what a masterpiece this was until i listened to it in london on a cold rainy night.
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lazypakman wrote: »
    This very board is where i got put up onto Burial (and hyperdub as a label in general), i remember when archangel was song of the week on itunes.

Didn't realise what a masterpiece this was until i listened to it in london on a cold rainy night.

Yeah, it's an album that definitely comes alive and makes sense in the bleakest British weather and just travelling the streets.

I must have found out about the album off another music forum at the time. I would have finished uni by then and doing two ? jobs until I could find something better to do. I remember the album being a total revelation on the first listen, and considering the dubstep scene at the time which I was never completely convinced of or won over by the album stood out by a mile. Watching the documentary I never realised how quickly it was produced.