My mother spent her life passing as white. Discovering her secret changed my view of race and myself

2»

Comments

• Brian B.
    Brian B. Members Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My aunt (rip) used to tell me in the 50s & 60s when she was a kid, she could pass as white & used their fountains & bathtooms lol

20hrlef.jpg
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Copper wrote: »
    She look like vibe

Her jawline is stronger than his, and that ain’t meant to be a dis to Vibe.

• Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • blackgod813
    blackgod813 Members Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is her mother BTW:

ZTAyNjkxYmMyOSMvMUs2UjVaZUxXVnU5ZnZGMGZJeGkzdXNqYi1nPS9maXQtaW4vNzYweDAvZmlsdGVyczpub191cHNjYWxlKCk6Zm9ybWF0KGpwZWcpOnF1YWxpdHkoODApL2h0dHBzOi8vczMuYW1hem9uYXdzLmNvbS9wb2xpY3ltaWMtaW1hZ2VzL3pnajBoM2p0a2o0dm5qczZxcGlqZ3dqb3lzaGJobWluOW9lMWl3Z2NmcXdyN3l0cHhyNTFxYnllZWV4ZWFuYmUuanBn.jpg

Obviouly blak
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    This is the author of this piece:

Ge8fIPsw_400x400.jpg

She's technically "part black," so according to the IC logic, she's "Black."

Smh.

Neither she NOR her mother are black. FoH.
    This is her mother BTW:

ZTAyNjkxYmMyOSMvMUs2UjVaZUxXVnU5ZnZGMGZJeGkzdXNqYi1nPS9maXQtaW4vNzYweDAvZmlsdGVyczpub191cHNjYWxlKCk6Zm9ybWF0KGpwZWcpOnF1YWxpdHkoODApL2h0dHBzOi8vczMuYW1hem9uYXdzLmNvbS9wb2xpY3ltaWMtaW1hZ2VzL3pnajBoM2p0a2o0dm5qczZxcGlqZ3dqb3lzaGJobWluOW9lMWl3Z2NmcXdyN3l0cHhyNTFxYnllZWV4ZWFuYmUuanBn.jpg

tenor.gif?itemid=8592106

I actually thought my grandmother (Mother's moms) was white until I was 5 when I finally asked my moms "Why is grandma White and you're Black?". Unlike her sisters, my grandmother had white features, thin lips, small nose, etc, completely different from her younger sisters that just looked like "light, bright, and two shades from white" bright skinned Black women. That ? got her a lot of passes back inna day but while she lived in Cali they saw right through it. While working as a cook she had some celebrity send her food back talmbout she wasn't eatin food cooked by a ? . She never said she was white and always claimed her Blackness, but some folks assumed she was white by default.