Dividend Growth Investing

Options

Comments

• _Jay_
    _Jay_ Members, Administrators Posts: 3,689 My Name Is My Name.
    Options
    dwade206 wrote: »
    AT&T is suffering right now because more people prefer streaming over television. The dividend payout is still respectable but there’s was a 6% drop in price today. Any thoughts?

AT&T (T) has had 32 years of dividend growth, and I peeped the drop yesterday. I already own shares in the company, but I'm def planning on copping more because of this...with that said, expect dependable growth in dividends from here out, but don't expect large dividend gains (basically, don't expect them to raise their dividends over 10% any given year). telecommunications is an extremely cutthroat industry, if u were going to invest in the industry, I would suggest only either AT&T or Verizon Wireless. again, expect good, dependable dividends, but don't expect heavy dividend growth.

• dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    UPS just might be the move. 2.81% dividend right now. Might wait for a slight dip though. Y’all see any growth or stability with IBM?
  • _Jay_
    Options
    UPS just might be the move. 2.81% dividend right now. Might wait for a slight dip though. Y’all see any growth or stability with IBM?

yeah, u might wanna wait on the dip for UPS, its 52 week range is $102.12 - $120.80, and it's currently valued at $117.68. def good dividends in there, the company also has good cash flow.

I used to consider IBM solely for the fact that Warren Buffett had it as one of his "Top 4." however, the company's prospects, plus the cost of stock shares, were prohibitive to me when I was researching it (couple of years ago). with that said, lately I keep reading about IBM's upcoming plans for blockchain technology, so...if u can get a good deal on valuation, u might wanna go for it.

• dwade206
    Options
    @_Jay, what’s going on with PG? I’m comfortable with the holding, but why do you think it’s slipping?
  • _Jay_
    Options
    ^^ Imma come back to that shortly...

AT&T (T) is currently on sale though, might wanna rack up while u can.
  • Go figure
    Go figure Guests, Members, Confirm Email, Writer Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    _Jay wrote: »
    AT&T (T) is currently on sale though, might wanna rack up while u can.

Gona go ahead and buy a couple thanks
  • _Jay_
    Options
    another "slow" month of dividends, for me...in October I only got dividend payments from:

Coca Cola (KO)
    Vanguard's Total World ETF (VT)
    Realty Income (O)
    General Electric (GE)

waaay too much chatter about the possibility of GE cutting their dividend. before, I wasn't thinking this was gonna happen, thinking that they would just suspend buybacks for a year or two, but all this chatter has helped bring down the share price, so now they just might gon' head and do it smh. if so (their next meeting is in early November, and we'll find out then), I'm selling all my shares, and buying more shares of another company. still hoping that they don't tho.
  • _Jay_
    Options
    @_Jay, what’s going on with PG? I’m comfortable with the holding, but why do you think it’s slipping?

the simple answer is, they haven't had any good earnings for a few quarters, and it's starting to affect the company. dividend buybacks can only go so far, if the company isn't earning, eventually it will wear on them, affecting stock price as well as dividends: http://fortune.com/2017/10/23/pg-stock-buybacks/

• _Jay_
    Options
    2 of my companies just announced a hike in their dividends...which means I just got 2 raises :grimace:

Aflac (AFL) just raised theirs 4.70% to 45 cents/share. this was their 35th annual dividend increase.
    VF Corp (VFC) just raised theirs 9.20% to 46 cents/share. this was their 45th consecutive annual dividend increase.

Dividend Champions >>>
  • _Jay_
    Options
    these are the companies I get dividends from in the month of November:

General Mills (GIS)
    AT&T (T)
    Colgate-Palmolive (CL)
    Hasbro (HAS)
    Realty Income (O)
    Apple (AAPL)
    Healthcare Partners (HCP)

aaand...one of my other companies, Starbucks (SBUX), just raised their dividend, which means I just got another raise :grimace:
  • dwade206
    Options
    Nice. I’m picking up Colgate and UPS soon
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When does VOO pay out dividends? I had this ETF a long time ago and it did well but I had to liquidate my account. I forgot it pays dividends. I invested back in this at the beginning of last month. Have 12 shares. 2.25% return in a month time so far. Not bad.

My damn DPZ (Dominoes Pizza) stock been performing horribly. Down 17.58% since I bought last month. Sheesh. But I'm in this one for the long play. My Netflix stock is doing well. Up 4.08% I bought it and it comprises about half of my portfolio. Just waiting for it to stay above the $200 plateau.

Got some extra money in my account to invest. Any ideas??

• _Jay_
    Options
    General Electric (GE) just voted to halve their dividend...gonna have to let em go.

: ( cuz they were the first company I ever owned...ah well
  • Go figure
    Go figure Guests, Members, Confirm Email, Writer Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    buttuh_b wrote: »
    When does VOO pay out dividends?

7dgn2e22l0gc.jpg

Looks like they pay quarterly; every december, march, june, september

Last time was sept 20

As for what to do with that money look at some of the stocks mentioned in the last few pages....and buy if they are going for the low. compare current stock price to '52 wk low/high' and buy if its closer to the low end.

And just type stock symbol and "dividend payout" to check the payout amount, history, dates, etc.

Cant name u anything specific atm bc my attn been elsewhere but @_Jay has been dropping good info
  • _Jay_
    Options
    ^^ good looks
    When does VOO pay out dividends? I had this ETF a long time ago and it did well but I had to liquidate my account. I forgot it pays dividends. I invested back in this at the beginning of last month. Have 12 shares. 2.25% return in a month time so far. Not bad.

My damn DPZ (Dominoes Pizza) stock been performing horribly. Down 17.58% since I bought last month. Sheesh. But I'm in this one for the long play. My Netflix stock is doing well. Up 4.08% I bought it and it comprises about half of my portfolio. Just waiting for it to stay above the $200 plateau.

Got some extra money in my account to invest. Any ideas??

VOO pays dividends quarterly, December, March, June, and September.

I can't say what another man does with his portfolio, but as long as Dominos (DPZ) doesn't cut their dividend, I'd say let it keep trucking. hell, add more shares when their stock price goes below what you've previously paid for.

Netflix (NFLX) doesn't pay dividends, but I'd def hold on to that one for the long term. I kinda wish I had purchased some shares back when their stock split.

Ideas? Hmm...:

Archer-Daniels Midland (ADM)
    AFLAC (AFL)
    CVS Health (CVS)
    Disney (DIS)
    General Dynamics (GD)
    General Mills (GIS)
    Genuine Parts Company (GPC)
    Realty Income (O)
    Store Capital (STOR)
    Starbucks (SBUX)
    AT&T (T)
    Target (TGT)
    T Rowe Price (TROW)
    Walgreens Boots Alliance (WBA)

possibles (waiting on how Amazon will affect their futures):

Leggett & Platt (LEG)
    Williams-Sonoma (WSM)

• _Jay_
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Emerson Electronics (EMR) just raised their dividend 1.10% to 48.50 cents/share, so I just got a raise. :grimace: wasn't a helluva lot, but it was their 61st consecutive annual dividend increase, so I ain't trippin.
  • dwade206
    Options
    I’m a little concerned about Amgen. It’s been slipping. Anything to do with opioid crisis?
  • buttuh_b
    Options
    Thanks for the info @_jay

Put me on Reality Income (O).. I see 4.50% dividend yield and the next ex-dividend date is 11/30.. selling at about middle of 52 week range.. Looks like a nice long play. Considering copping some this week
  • buttuh_b
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Justice department antitrust lawsuit against AT&T for their Time Warner merger. But I'm reading AT&T will probably win the suit. This makes T an intriguing long play to me.

Thinking about initiating position on Century Link (CTL) to collect their annual 14.59% dividend (11/24 ex-date). P/B 0.6, price on low end of 52 week range.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I’m a little concerned about Amgen. It’s been slipping. Anything to do with opioid crisis?

most are sliding at the moment but Amgen just took ownership of another company for $780mil an a switch to single doses for Enbrel. that's the news I have right off top but I'll ask around.

I would keep it tho...they are making leaps with Alzheimer's medicine.
  • dwade206
    Options

most are sliding at the moment but Amgen just took ownership of another company for $780mil an a switch to single doses for Enbrel. that's the news I have right off top but I'll ask around.

Good looking out. It’s a dividend champ, so I figured I’ll be good with it, but I noticed the price was dipping a bit.
  • _Jay_
    Options

this has been a hard one for me...mainly because it's not a company I keep tabs on (personally I avoid pharmaceuticals, the closest I get to them is drug store chains and ownership via ETFs), plus do I glance at the day by day fluctuations, but only keep up with share price if I'm looking to cop some shares of the stock.

except for one competitor, Biogen (which is almost double), all of Amgen's (AMGN) competitors have much lower valuations, even tho sales are somewhat comparable. but, like you've already noticed, Amgen's share price has been slowly declining since late October...

^^ the bolded is my guess as to what's going on...they've got good/decent cash flow goin on right now, and their dividend payout ratio is currently 40.2 year to date (no need for concern until it gets higher than 60); I'm not sure why they've been slipping, but the company itself is in good shape to continue paying dividends in the near future. the current share price is high TO ME, but the P/E is currently 13.4, so if you're planning on buying more shares, now's a good time.
  • _Jay_
    Options
    Justice department antitrust lawsuit against AT&T for their Time Warner merger. But I'm reading AT&T will probably win the suit. This makes T an intriguing long play to me.

Thinking about initiating position on Century Link (CTL) to collect their annual 14.59% dividend (11/24 ex-date). P/B 0.6, price on low end of 52 week range.

the share price is amazingly low, and their dividend is FAT so I can see why you'd wanna jump on that one. just a heads up, they're very likely in for a dividend cut sometime in the near future (within the next quarter or two), so tread carefully. their payout ratio is currently at 372.4 0_o

if you're planning on copping shares just for the dividends, go ahead and do u, but I wouldn't suggest holding onto your shares for the long term. don't mess around and get burned like I did with GE.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options

this has been a hard one for me...mainly because it's not a company I keep tabs on (personally I avoid pharmaceuticals, the closest I get to them is drug store chains and ownership via ETFs), plus do I glance at the day by day fluctuations, but only keep up with share price if I'm looking to cop some shares of the stock.

except for one competitor, Biogen (which is almost double), all of Amgen's (AMGN) competitors have much lower valuations, even tho sales are somewhat comparable. but, like you've already noticed, Amgen's share price has been slowly declining since late October...

^^ the bolded is my guess as to what's going on...they've got good/decent cash flow goin on right now, and their dividend payout ratio is currently 40.2 year to date (no need for concern until it gets higher than 60); I'm not sure why they've been slipping, but the company itself is in good shape to continue paying dividends in the near future. the current share price is high TO ME, but the P/E is currently 13.4, so if you're planning on buying more shares, now's a good time.

i mean...there plant in puerto rico is flooded so the production is slowed a bit an hard to get out...and singapore is not on par with the production of puerto rico....an all the production is almost out of rhode island an going to puerto rico. but thats just for the enbrel product which is still big. so i think its just a bit of worry that people will walk away.

as for biogenIdec(the whole name)....they got something in the works with J&J an they are spearheading it. so they are good money.
  • buttuh_b
    Options

the share price is amazingly low, and their dividend is FAT so I can see why you'd wanna jump on that one. just a heads up, they're very likely in for a dividend cut sometime in the near future (within the next quarter or two), so tread carefully. their payout ratio is currently at 372.4 0_o

if you're planning on copping shares just for the dividends, go ahead and do u, but I wouldn't suggest holding onto your shares for the long term. don't mess around and get burned like I did with GE.

Yea I thought about it and I like AT&T more for a telecommunications company. Just waiting for the right time to get in. Other dividend growth company I've been looking at hard is Starbucks.