The Best Car You Have Ever Owned and Why?

Options
skpjr78
skpjr78 Members Posts: 7,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2016 in Let Me Ride
1993 Grand Cherokee Laredo hands down is the best vehicle I've ever owned. I bought the car used from one of my coworkers in 2004. I had been it before and knew that it was in good shape. It was clean, nice interior, ran nice, had a tv which was some baller back in '04, big, comfortable and affordable.

The car had about 115k miles when I bought it and the dude initially wanted $2500 for it. The guy was a friend of mine and I did like the truck so I worked out a deal with him. We agreed to take it to my mechanic and have the car looked at from top to bottom. If it was in good shape I would buy it. If it wasn't I would split the cost of the diagnostic with him. The car checked out. The only thing wrong with it was that the rear drum brakes had to be be rebuilt and it would cost $500. I put $2000 cash in his hands and told him to take it or leave it. He took it. Dude was cool so he told me that he recently had the transmission serviced and to keep an eye on it. It also came with 4 brand new BF Goodrich tires on it. I was hoping to get 2 maybe 3 years out of it. I drove it everyday for 7. A year and a half after buying it I had to replace the transmission. I wasn't mad b/c dude told me about it and b/c the truck was paid in full. Buying a new transmission is still cheaper than buying a new car.

The truck came with a 4.0L inline 6 cylinder engine which was easy as ? to work on and is still one of the most reliable engines you'll ever find. Outside of the transmission I did most of the maintenance on my own. Changed the fuel pump, power steering reservoir and hose, tune up and oil changes. I also installed my own stereo/dvd player and had an illuminated dash.

I think the reason I love this car so much is b/c what was going on in my life at that time. I had been out of college for a few years and was trying to get on my feet. I had a little job that wasn't paying ? and I was trying to maintain and find a way forward. I was driving my moms old car and that ? had clunked out. I was stranded, ? up and was desperately trying to make it. I was actually talking to my boss about getting a day off work so I could go to a once a month car auction to get some ? for the low. I told her that I didn't have any transportation to get work anymore and that if I wasn't able to get this particular day off and get a ride that I would have to quit. ? was getting really sticky and I was about quit right there on the spot. I didn't have any other options at that time. They were going to fire me anyway if I didn't have a way to work. Dude I bought the car from just happened to sitting next to my boss and heard our conversation. He jumped in the conversation and offered to sell me his truck. I went from being ? up, with no car, no way to work, bumming rides and making plans to go to a once a month auto auction to riding good overnight. I still remember the day I bought that ? . I was all over the city just riding. Juvie The Great had just came out and I had Bounce Back on repeat all day long. To this day that is my anthem whenever ? gets bad and I have to grind my way through. Long story short I got back on my feet and it's been on ever since then.

It broke my heart to sell my truck. I bought a new Jeep in 2011 and took a job out of state. The Cherokee needed some work and I didn't have the time to deal with and it wasnt worth taking out of state. I left it at my parents house for a while but my dad ended up selling it for me a few years later. I love the new Commander and the new bike but I still miss the old Cherokee. Best car ever.

70hok7.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPTPfbXsOuk

Comments

• Tangy
    Tangy Members Posts: 5
    Options
    E46 M3, best looking car there will ever be
  • skpjr78
    skpjr78 Members Posts: 7,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    https://youtu.be/SPTPfbXsOuk

This song represents an era in my life. This ? came out during the peak of the Cash Money " grind 'til you shine" movement and my '93 Grand Cherokee personifies that entire period of my life. I had to go through some ? to grow into some ? . My situation was ? up but I was better off for it on the other side. Getting that truck was the beginning of the turnaround. And on top of all that I got a great deal on a great vehicle. Best vehicle I've ever owned for more reasons than one.

"If there is no struggle there is no progress" - Fredrick Douglass
  • 808HiLife808
    808HiLife808 Members Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    skpjr78 wrote: »
    1993 Grand Cherokee Laredo hands down is the best vehicle I've ever owned. I bought the car used from one of my coworkers in 2004. I had been it before and knew that it was in good shape. It was clean, nice interior, ran nice, had a tv which was some baller back in '04, big, comfortable and affordable.

The car had about 115k miles when I bought it and the dude initially wanted $2500 for it. The guy was a friend of mine and I did like the truck so I worked out a deal with him. We agreed to take it to my mechanic and have the car looked at from top to bottom. If it was in good shape I would buy it. If it wasn't I would split the cost of the diagnostic with him. The car checked out. The only thing wrong with it was that the rear drum brakes had to be be rebuilt and it would cost $500. I put $2000 cash in his hands and told him to take it or leave it. He took it. Dude was cool so he told me that he recently had the transmission serviced and to keep an eye on it. It also came with 4 brand new BF Goodrich tires on it. I was hoping to get 2 maybe 3 years out of it. I drove it everyday for 7. A year and a half after buying it I had to replace the transmission. I wasn't mad b/c dude told me about it and b/c the truck was paid in full. Buying a new transmission is still cheaper than buying a new car.

The truck came with a 4.0L inline 6 cylinder engine which was easy as ? to work on and is still one of the most reliable engines you'll ever find. Outside of the transmission I did most of the maintenance on my own. Changed the fuel pump, power steering reservoir and hose, tune up and oil changes. I also installed my own stereo/dvd player and had an illuminated dash.

I think the reason I love this car so much is b/c what was going on in my life at that time. I had been out of college for a few years and was trying to get on my feet. I had a little job that wasn't paying ? and I was trying to maintain and find a way forward. I was driving my moms old car and that ? had clunked out. I was stranded, ? up and was desperately trying to make it. I was actually talking to my boss about getting a day off work so I could go to a once a month car auction to get some ? for the low. I told her that I didn't have any transportation to get work anymore and that if I wasn't able to get this particular day off and get a ride that I would have to quit. ? was getting really sticky and I was about quit right there on the spot. I didn't have any other options at that time. They were going to fire me anyway if I didn't have a way to work. Dude I bought the car from just happened to sitting next to my boss and heard our conversation. He jumped in the conversation and offered to sell me his truck. I went from being ? up, with no car, no way to work, bumming rides and making plans to go to a once a month auto auction to riding good overnight. I still remember the day I bought that ? . I was all over the city just riding. Juvie The Great had just came out and I had Bounce Back on repeat all day long. To this day that is my anthem whenever ? gets bad and I have to grind my way through. Long story short I got back on my feet and it's been on ever since then.

It broke my heart to sell my truck. I bought a new Jeep in 2011 and took a job out of state. The Cherokee needed some work and I didn't have the time to deal with and it wasnt worth taking out of state. I left it at my parents house for a while but my dad ended up selling it for me a few years later. I love the new Commander and the new bike but I still miss the old Cherokee. Best car ever.

70hok7.jpg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPTPfbXsOuk

i had one of those cherokees too. my car went down on friday and needed something to get to work on monday. it popped up kinda out of nowhere. youre right. engine was damn near bulletproof, and the off chance something did go wrong, there was a shitload of space to work with and it was easy. could throw it in 4x4 and pretty much run through anything. put my dog in it and go to the beach nfg...low key miss it, but i had to upgrade.
  • MECCA1000
    MECCA1000 Members Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Still pushing my '01 Cherokee with the inline 6 ...... over 200k rock solid
    I'm looking for another one now!
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm torn. It's either my 85 Nissan 200SX (Silvia S12):

84-nissan-200sx-turbo-5-speed-showroom-condition-only-29807-miles-s12-silvia-2.jpg

Mine was like this except silver instead of grey.

my '86 Chrysler Laser Turbo:

1986_chrysler_laser-pic-6678956859356059873-1600x1200.gif

Mine was like that except burgundy

Or my 1985 Honda Prelude Si 2.0

1986_honda_prelude-pic-6487201413963829366.jpeg

Mine was just like that, same color, same wheels.

I've had other cars, like my string of Fox Mustangs, my Mercedes ML500, or the Volvo 850GLT, but those three cars were the most fun I had driving. Plus, I had all three set out with sound systems so there's that.
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    05 monte carlo

Did road trips to vegas and dallas in that car.
    Was pulling hoes left n right.
    Racing chargers n bmws
    Got this car when i found out i was a father.

Died in my parking lot and didnt have time to repair it before it got towed