Female Police Captain Suspended After Calling out White Male Privilege

RickyRich
RickyRich Members Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXWGVOWrWeI&t=31s

A female police captain has been suspended and placed on administrative leave for openly suggesting that a specific colleague of hers has trouble understanding the plight of transgender people because of his white male privilege.

During a November 1 Police Supervisors Transgender Awareness Training at the Plainfield Police Department, a 28-year unnamed veteran of the force got into a disagreement with the workshop presenter. At the root of their exchange was a statistic suggesting that transgender people are 3.32 times more likely to become the victims of police violence than non-transgender people are. The contending officer argued that he struggles to comprehend such disproportionate police violence going on when (according to him) he nor anyone he knows of in the profession has been involved in a police brutality incident.

Soon after he began challenging the statistic, the voice of captain Carri Weber could be heard telling him that his misunderstanding of trans people would be impeded by his "white male privilege." The inquiring officer immediately lost his composure over Weber's remark and others in the room could be heard griping as well. An instructor involved in the training would step forward to attempt to de-escalate the situation, but he too was confronted as well. "Chief, are you going to let her get away with that? Seriously?" he asked, before threatening to walk out.

"I was racially and sexistly slurred by Captain Carri Weber while I was asking a question of the instructor in training," a complaint read about the incident. "I am now firmly aware of the discriminatory belief she just verbally communicated. ... There is no place in the Plainfield Police administration or supervision for someone who holds and espouses her discriminatory views."

Carri is scheduled to return to the Commissioner's office for a hearing on her future with the department later this week.

Comments

• jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good. Nobody wants to hear that ? .
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ever hear the phrase “know your audience?”

Also, when you play the outrage game, the other side will play the outrage game as well. All the extra PC ? doesnt help anyone in the end.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This offends me!
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will Munny wrote: »

Also, when you play the outrage game, the other side will play the outrage game as well. All the extra PC ? doesnt help anyone in the end.
    During a November 1 Police Supervisors Transgender Awareness Training at the Plainfield Police Department, a 28-year unnamed veteran of the force got into a disagreement with the workshop presenter. At the root of their exchange was a statistic suggesting that transgender people are 3.32 times more likely to become the victims of police violence than non-transgender people are. The contending officer argued that he struggles to comprehend such disproportionate police violence going on when (according to him) he nor anyone he knows of in the profession has been involved in a police brutality incident.

It sounds like she knew her audience and the ? pig who decided that factual statistics matter less than his own limited white male world view was the one who was playing the "outrage game".
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any statistics involving trannies and women should be looked at skeptically. Feminist and ? "scholars" are known for being anti-science.
  • SneakDZA
    jono wrote: »
    Any statistics involving trannies and women should be looked at skeptically. Feminist and ? "scholars" are known for being anti-science.

lol... huh?
  • LordZuko
    LordZuko Members Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They flip numbers extra bogus.
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good. Nobody wants to hear that ? .

LOL
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SneakDZA wrote: »

lol... huh?

I think it's a criticism of the lack of rigour in their research. It's more qualitative than quantitative, which has a lot of drawbacks
  • SneakDZA
    LUClEN wrote: »

lol... huh?

I think it's a criticism of the lack of rigour in their research. It's more qualitative than quantitative, which has a lot of drawbacks

who is "they" though? when i look at statistics I'm not thinking "was there a ? or a woman involved?".

also this has nothing to do with the o/p except for the fact that the same lack of logic mixed with personal beliefs is involved.
  • LUClEN

lol... huh?

who is "they" though? when i look at statistics I'm not thinking "was there a ? or a woman involved?".

also this has nothing to do with the o/p except for the fact that the same lack of logic mixed with personal beliefs is involved.

Academics who study gender.

That's exactly the issue fam. They don't use stats as much as other social sciences do. It's qualitative data which is difficult to draw inferences from
  • SneakDZA

lol... huh?

That's exactly the issue fam. They don't use stats as much as other social sciences do. It's qualitative data which is difficult to draw inferences from

lol... huh?

ok so show me your sources.
  • LUClEN
    I'm not gonna cull the library to show you what can be found pretty quickly. If you look at the data gender researchers use compared to those who study class or technology and society, there's way more qualitative research being done. I just did a qualitative methods course and it was one of the recurring themes. For a long time interviews and focus groups have been favoured by feminists studying gender
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will Munny wrote: »

It sounds like she knew her audience and the ? pig who decided that factual statistics matter less than his own limited white male world view was the one who was playing the "outrage game".

Lol if it wasn’t for political correctness becoming a weapon, the cop would have just shrugged it off, but he knew if he acted offended it would get him the reaction he wanted.

Don’t go down the factual statistics road with transgender people. It doesn’t bode well for the mental sanity. No dis to trans folk I hope they figure it out.
  • semi-auto-mato
    semi-auto-mato Members Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
    he is funny because he will claim cops have a dangerous job and are killed every day but there are less than 300 killed per year out of over 700k. less than 1%. it seems that neither side should go down the statistics road.
  • jetlifebih
    jetlifebih Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    “I find that highly offensive!”

Lmao....