Comments

• Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This ? flopped
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Without any spoilers... Is it worth going to theater for?

Only 3 showings on a friday looks like it will get kicked out soon

Saw some people on IG say it was best film of the year

Reviews are bad tho

Go or wait for kodi?
  • blue_london
    blue_london Members Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I was going to stream it.... Is it that bad that i shouldn't bother?
  • TheGOAT
    Options
    I was going to stream it.... Is it that bad that i shouldn't bother?

Idk

It was so bad im kinda glad i saw it

Like... It was an experience to see a movie so bad.

People in the theater were randomly laughing at the screen it was so bad.

I couldnt stop thinking about it till i fell asleep i hated it so much
  • TheGOAT
    edited September 2017
    Options
    lazypakman wrote: »
    Just finished watching it.
    Seriously... WTF did I just watch? It literally felt like I was dragged kicking and screaming through the depths of Hades!

I'm still deciding if this is filmmaking at its best or just pretentious ? . A true definition of a Marmite film, but then that's Aronofsky for you.

I walked out of the showing with a smile on my face, firstly because in this day and age for a major studio to even sanction this had a me a little flabbergasted, if this was anything other than an american production an eyelid wouldn't have been batted.

I didn't think it was pretentious at all, i felt like theres a number of ways you can read into the movie if you choose to.

Definitely one thats a conversation piece, the more i think about it the more i like it.

@lazypakman

I need to discuss this with u
    when u watched it what was your takeaway?

What did u feel it was about?

Im sure you have read what the director said he was kinda going for after u watched... Is that what u thought was happening while u actually watched?

Why was that room in the basement hidden with the wall?

What was that thing in the toilet?

What did the frog mean?

What was the orange stuff she kept drinking?

Why were the strangers painting the walls?
  • Angeles1son85
    Angeles1son85 Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Max. wrote: »
    This ? flopped

i was thinkin since the director dating jennifer he used her to be in the movie lol cuz any other actress no one woulda gave no ? about the movie and in her invterviews you can tell she dont care for it and didn't really wanna be in it sayin shes had to go to dark places lol
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    TheGOAT wrote: »
    Worst movie i ever saw in a theater

Took over Brad Pitts Tree of Life for my all time worst film

I wanted to leave 30mins before it ended

My girl is ? i took her to it

Garbage garbage garbage

I have to see this movie now....I refuse to believe there's anything worse than tree of life.....lol
  • TheGOAT
    Options
    Worst movie i ever saw in a theater

Took over Brad Pitts Tree of Life for my all time worst film

I wanted to leave 30mins before it ended

My girl is ? i took her to it

Garbage garbage garbage

I have to see this movie now....I refuse to believe there's anything worse than tree of life.....lol

Leaving the theater i wanted to rewatch Tree of Life to compare. No joke
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Tree of Life was dope to me. Then again when I saw it in theaters

1) I knew what to expect from a Malick film (90% visual storytelling)

2) I was stoned out of my mind and the mix of surreal visualism and spiritual themes under that perspective made it an extremely visceral experience.
  • lazypakman
    lazypakman Members Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Options
    lazypakman wrote: »
    Just finished watching it.
    Seriously... WTF did I just watch? It literally felt like I was dragged kicking and screaming through the depths of Hades!

I'm still deciding if this is filmmaking at its best or just pretentious ? . A true definition of a Marmite film, but then that's Aronofsky for you.

I walked out of the showing with a smile on my face, firstly because in this day and age for a major studio to even sanction this had a me a little flabbergasted, if this was anything other than an american production an eyelid wouldn't have been batted.

I didn't think it was pretentious at all, i felt like theres a number of ways you can read into the movie if you choose to.

Definitely one thats a conversation piece, the more i think about it the more i like it.

@lazypakman

I need to discuss this with u
    when u watched it what was your takeaway?

What did u feel it was about?

Im sure you have read what the director said he was kinda going for after u watched... Is that what u thought was happening while u actually watched?

Why was that room in the basement hidden with the wall?

What was that thing in the toilet?

What did the frog mean?

What was the orange stuff she kept drinking?

Why were the strangers painting the walls?
    Aronofsky & lawrence have been clarifying the film recently in interviews, what it is in their eyes, which is an allegory on the book of genesis ( which was clear to me on first veiwing, but didn't care for since it isn't subtle at all), but as its written bardem = ? ,Lawrence = Mother Earth, Harris + Pfeiffer = Adam and Eve,
    And the 2 brothers being Cain & Able and the entire setting being the garden of eden, Aronofsky being an enviromentalist himself said this is all about our ongoing destruction of the earth.

? removes Adams ribs to create eve ( which happens in the movie, but not seen directly)who together yield the brothers yadadada, Dude said he wrote this in 3 days or so which is like no ? darren, it shows.

Going by that interprepation some of your questions are answered (frogs are a sign of incoming plague, the thing in the toilet was most likely the rib, the elixer she was drinking was probably a form of self medication) but really outside of that you have to make your own conclusions of how certain things might line up with what went down in a previous cycle.

I couldn't give a ? about any of that and the fact they've explained it has made it a lesser effort in my eyes because i had put aside the allegory and just thought more about the story that Aronofsky put around the framework, which i ? with on a technical and narrative level......although i wouldn't call the film brilliant in any sense or recommend it to anyone it's just the kind of film that works with me.
  • TheGOAT
    Options
    Yea after reading thats what they were going for i saw the vision.

But before i went all i read about the film was QuestLove's IG review. So i went in tryn figure out what Quest was talking about.... Turns out Quest was way off on his review.

So i wish i never read Quest's review before going... But at same time its what convinced me to go see the flick.

hyxrb7q7eu1s.png
    e1383lf55yuc.png
  • lazypakman
    lazypakman Members Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yea after reading thats what they were going for i saw the vision.

But before i went all i read about the film was QuestLove's IG review. So i went in tryn figure out what Quest was talking about.... Turns out Quest was way off on his review.

So i wish i never read Quest's review before going... But at same time its what convinced me to go see the flick.

hyxrb7q7eu1s.png
    e1383lf55yuc.png

But see you could completely percieve it this way, im with questlove up until a certain point ( not having seen this before) because i have no doubt Bardems character is a reflection of Aronofsky himself.

That line "the struggle pursuing passion & pursuing family bliss" is really what i applied to my take away from the movie initially, thats the story in a nutshell (the house represents his morality, the more bad life choices he makes the more he subjects it to chaos), personally i took more from the cycle that the narrative is repeating, that was fascinating to me because i caught on to it right away and realised this is an isolated event in a entire timeline.

Basically whenever Bardem busts a nut ( which he is trying to so hard not to lol) he ultimately gives birth to the inspiration that will eventually be his personal downfall.

• TheGOAT
    Options
    Yea i can see how someone could take that away if they wanted to but i read an article with the director and he shot that theory down.

He said its a story with biblical elements but not really about the bible. Javier=? JLaw=Mother Earth

That makes the most sense to me looking back at the film.

In the end ? us an ? for creating mankind who are the murderous crazed animals who give no ? about the earth we live on and continue to destroy it.

If "? " had his head on straight he would wipe man from earth

And the fact its a repeating cycle represents the past extinction events that took place on earth
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LOL so the movie 'garbage' but you still dissecting it...

Like I said it's a love it/hate it film
  • TheGOAT
    Options
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    LOL so the movie 'garbage' but you still dissecting it...

Like I said it's a love it/hate it film
    I needed to dissect it because i had no clue what i just watched
  • TheGOAT
    Options
    Scorcese is upset people are shittin on the film

z86oeyz1aatr.jpg
  • BIGG WILL
    BIGG WILL Members Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I love and hate this movie.

I love that its kind of entertaining due to so much ? is going on.

But, I don't like that so much is throw at you, all at the same time, its almost unwatchable/hard to follow.

Decent watch for a late night stream, but I'm glad I didn't go out to see this one.
  • inori
    inori Members Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    First watch i was uhhh.....interesting... on some.. man WTF is this ? ?!!? After seeing some discussion on it online it makes a bit more sense