Dividend Growth Investing

123457»

Comments

• KillaCham
    KillaCham Members, Moderators Posts: 11,417 Regulator
    What are you guys' thoughts on mutual funds? Picking an "mining companies or tech companies", for example, and buying the one fund that includes all the companies and its instant diversification.
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    KillaCham wrote: »
    What are you guys' thoughts on mutual funds? Picking an "mining companies or tech companies", for example, and buying the one fund that includes all the companies and its instant diversification.

It's smart but buying an ETF which is essentially the same thing as a mutual fund but can be traded as stock is even better. You can buy ETFs that follow all types of indexes for sectors and industries. They're easier to trade, less fees and more tax efficient. I feel like mutual funds are more for retirement.
  • _Jay_
    _Jay_ Members, Administrators Posts: 3,689 My Name Is My Name.
    buttuh_b wrote: »
    KillaCham wrote: »

It's smart but buying an ETF which is essentially the same thing as a mutual fund but can be traded as stock is even better. You can buy ETFs that follow all types of indexes for sectors and industries. They're easier to trade, less fees and more tax efficient. I feel like mutual funds are more for retirement.

cosign, but I feel like I'm a lil biased, due to picking individual stocks and ETFs. my days of mutual funds are over, but I only speak for myself.

• _Jay_
    finally copped some shares of yet another non-dividend company, Hibbett Sports (HIBB). been wanting to do so for the past 2-3 months, but there have been some deals on dividend growth stocks that I wanted to capitalize on first...

speaking of which, I also recently got 2 dividend raises, from Disney (DIS) and Emerson (EMR). :#
  • buttuh_b
    edited December 2017
    Still waiting on a good time to buy AT&T but this ? keep going up. Also been looking at Pepsi or Coke.

I purchased some shares of Starbucks a couple weeks ago when the market was down and also some Apple shares.
  • killap
    killap Members Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm down like 30% on CTL, and that's after this weeks gains... With that being said, I'll probably buy more. I like what Storey will bring to the company
  • _Jay_
    both AT&T (T) and Realty Income (O) just raised their dividends...two mo' raises
  • buttuh_b
    killap wrote: »
    I'm down like 30% on CTL, and that's after this weeks gains... With that being said, I'll probably buy more. I like what Storey will bring to the company

I shoulda bought when it was $13 like I was talking about. They had a great week