Anyone from Memphis?

Options
2stepz_ahead
2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
I need to know where to stay and what is a good place to eat and where not to go.

seems like i keep ending up in the wrong place in charlotte due to family issues.

and also what radio stations to listen to....more on this later B)

Comments

• Brian B.
    Brian B. Members Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • 808HiLife808
    808HiLife808 Members Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • geeboy
    geeboy Members Posts: 606 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stay at the chisca on main. Go see where Martin was killed a few blocks away. Go get some brisket from the pig on beale..!
  • banginscrew901
    banginscrew901 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 7,148 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Radio 103.5,101.1 those 2 for your r&b and some of your old school. 97.1, 107.1 are your stations that play migos and all that other ? . 105.5 plays your 70's and 80's music white folk music
  • banginscrew901
    Options
    skpjr78 wrote: »
    You should stay in Frazier, Hollywood, Blackhaven or Orange Mound. To get a true Memphis experience make sure to go at night, drive a very nice car that highlights your out of state tags, and wear plenty of jewelry. I guarantee you will have an unforgettable night.

First 48 prospect, don't do it mane
  • banginscrew901
    Options
    Places to go
    Wc handy museum
    The stax museum, this is where Isaac Hayes and a bunch of other artist recorded
    Martin Luther king museum
    If you into elvis you could go to his house........ but I've never been drove past it million of times ? Elvis.
    It's some more places but these top 3 should be good.
  • banginscrew901
    Options
    Places to eat any where on beale street or downtown period
    Gus chicken
    Rendezvous bbq
    Paynes bbq they cash only but good as hell
  • MallyG
    MallyG Members Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rendezvous BBQ... GUS Fried Chicken... Jack Pirtle as far as food. I'll post more later.

And just know them North Memphis nikkas is a different kind of nikka! lol

• detcatinva
    detcatinva Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I went to Memphis for the first time this year didn't like it much. But go to this place called chings they got the best chicken wings ever
  • whatevathehell
    whatevathehell Members Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Memphis raggedy as hell....all that history and not a decent place to showcase any of it
  • skpjr78
    skpjr78 Members Posts: 7,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Memphis raggedy as hell....all that history and not a decent place to showcase any of it

Memphis is a ? hole. It's a smaller, poorer, more racist version of Detroit minus the car industry. It's basically a southern version of Flint. And as ? up as Memphis, TN is West Memphis, AR on the other side of the bridge is so much worse. ? that entire part of the country. Everything between Nashville and New Orleans should be nuked. ? it.
  • banginscrew901
    Options

Memphis is a ? hole. It's a smaller, poorer, more racist version of Detroit minus the car industry. It's basically a southern version of Flint. And as ? up as Memphis, TN is West Memphis, AR on the other side of the bridge is so much worse. ? that entire part of the country. Everything between Nashville and New Orleans should be nuked. ? it.

Lol Memphis not that bad. Only thing popping in west Memphis is the dog track
  • Ounceman
    Ounceman Members Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options

Lol i understand your trying to defend the hometeam. but looking at it objectively, memphis is kinda bad

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_crime_rate

If you take a look at the section that lists the crime rate per 100,000 people, if you rearrange the order from highest to lowest, you'll notice that memphis ranks #3 for the highest violent crime in the country. and i wont just go off of numbers either. i visited memphis this summer for a family reunion and there were some sections of the city that were pretty run down and neglected. you could tell ? got real there when the sun went down. i even remember watching the local news while i was staying at the courtyard marriott, and they were investigating a triple homicide in south parkway

Now with all of that being said. in spite of those issues, memphis is actually a great city. there's alot of history there, it has great food, and you can have a good time if you know where to go. and i know i made it sound like its the next coming of the city of ? earlier, but if you stay primarily in downtown, east memphis, and midtown areas and exercise street smarts and common sense like you would if you were in any other city, you'll be fine

Now to the OP. As far as places to check out. if your a blues fan like me, you can catch some live music at the rum boogie cafe blues hall on beale st. then you can hit up the blues music hall of fame which is right across the street from the loraine motel. its also where the national civil rights museum is located. i recommend going there as well. also as someone said earlier. stax mueseum is another good one. and if you feel like flirting with some hipster white ? , you can go to overton park

And places to eat? as ive stated before, memphis bbq is the best regional style out of all of the regional variations imo (and that includes texas, kansas city, and carolina bbq). my favorite spots for this are central bbq, one and only, cozy corner, blues city cafe, and pollard's. or if you prefer soul food, check out gus's fried chicken and willie moore's
  • twentyfivelighters
    twentyfivelighters Members Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ounceman wrote: »

Lol i understand your trying to defend the hometeam. but looking at it objectively, memphis is kinda bad

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_crime_rate

If you take a look at the section that lists the crime rate per 100,000 people, if you rearrange the order from highest to lowest, you'll notice that memphis ranks #3 for the highest violent crime in the country. and i wont just go off of numbers either. i visited memphis this summer for a family reunion and there were some sections of the city that were pretty run down and neglected. you could tell ? got real there when the sun went down. i even remember watching the local news while i was staying at the courtyard marriott, and they were investigating a triple homicide in south parkway

Now with all of that being said. in spite of those issues, memphis is actually a great city. there's alot of history there, it has great food, and you can have a good time if you know where to go. and i know i made it sound like its the next coming of the city of ? earlier, but if you stay primarily in downtown, east memphis, and midtown areas and exercise street smarts and common sense like you would if you were in any other city, you'll be fine

Now to the OP. As far as places to check out. if your a blues fan like me, you can catch some live music at the rum boogie cafe blues hall on beale st. then you can hit up the blues music hall of fame which is right across the street from the loraine motel. its also where the national civil rights museum is located. i recommend going there as well. also as someone said earlier. stax mueseum is another good one. and if you feel like flirting with some hipster white ? , you can go to overton park

And places to eat? as ive stated before, memphis bbq is the best regional style out of all of the regional variations imo (and that includes texas, kansas city, and carolina bbq). my favorite spots for this are central bbq, one and only, cozy corner, blues city cafe, and pollard's. or if you prefer soul food, check out gus's fried chicken and willie moore's

Yeah we get it.

That's why I recommend this:
    You should stay in Frazier, Hollywood, Blackhaven or Orange Mound. To get a true Memphis experience make sure to go at night, drive a very nice car that highlights your out of state tags, and wear plenty of jewelry. I guarantee you will have an unforgettable night.

Why not get the full experience? Bonus points for referring to Whitehaven as Blackhaven but at the same time its "Frayser," boy
  • southsil4lil
    southsil4lil Members Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Memphis bbq is really good but better than Texas? Nah....
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    cool...

thanks folk

i appreciate all the help
  • whatevathehell
    whatevathehell Members Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I visited out that way last year apply in a job. Parts of City is kinda rundown but it does have nice areas and beale street had a cool vibe.
    Not gentrified...like Charlotte. Not yet