What Was So Groundbreaking About The Chronic?

Options
2»

Comments

• HafBayked
    HafBayked Members Posts: 16,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I dont think anyone is saying they were the first with a new sound

the ? was new, and funky, and people liked it.....thats it lol

compared to everything you named I'd say none were as "fun" as this movement was
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    The Recipe wrote: »
    - It was the launch of snoop and his signature sound
    - Introduced melody in hip hop on a wide scale
    - Showed an alternate look at black culture in Cal
    - Elevated disses
    - Spawned Death Row Era
    - It was the best selling album at that point
    - G Funk sound was all over the culture
    - Took Hip Hop to suburban radio
    - Elevated skits
    - Began the west coat rapper takeover

Just to name a few

I'll agree to some of the points you made, but Niggaz4life was released about 18 months earlier and had the same sound. The main difference is he replaced Ren with Snoop. Also, from what I've deduced, white people claim The Chronic because they don't feel comfortable saying "Niggaz4life".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aleRvCrXp4

In fact, every point you made could be applied to No One Can Do It Better and Niggaz4life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-IJ9vbdNfA

On a side note, I remember that era clearly. I agree that Dre had a different sound from what was going on in the East but they weren't the first rap group to usher in a new sound.

Run DMC had a new sound on their first album
    Whodini had a new sound on their first album
    Boogie Down Productions had a new sound on their first album
    Public Enemy had a new sound on their first and especially their second album
    De La Soul had a new sound on their first album
    Beastie Boys Paul Boutique had a new sound
    A Tribe Called Quest ushered in a new sound with Low End Theory

So saying that Dre had a new sound (Nuthin But A G Thing and Let Me Ride) is true, but that's not the first time somebody came from a different angle.

Lastly, The Chronic wasn't the first posse album. Marley Marl released In Control Volume 1 in the summer of 1988.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62gl8dtMjCw

If you cannot tell the vibe difference between the Chronic and those albums than I am not sure what to say as you can not train an ear with written words and yours has no obvious ability to palette the flavor distinctions in the music...

In all honesty, without name calling or e-disses, can you please try to articulate how The Chronic was different from No One Can Do It Better and/or Niggaz4life?
  • a_list
    a_list Members Posts: 4,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    a_list wrote: »
    5 you saying that you didnt like the Chronic? What did ya ears tell you?

I'm not saying that I didn't like it, but people are acting like The Chronic was the second coming of Jesus. I'm saying I remember when it came out and it was hyped up but really besides Nuthin But A G Thing and Let Me Ride, it was just another album.

A Tribe Called Quest's Low End Theory came out about a year before The Chronic and I always thought Tribe's album was far superior, lyrically and production.

I dont think cats are acting like that...That ? just hit....You're like my older brothers in that age group where yall tastes in music were already established and basically closed to most of the ? that was coming from places other than the east so I understand....
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    a_list wrote: »
    5 you saying that you didnt like the Chronic? What did ya ears tell you?

I'm not saying that I didn't like it, but people are acting like The Chronic was the second coming of Jesus. I'm saying I remember when it came out and it was hyped up but really besides Nuthin But A G Thing and Let Me Ride, it was just another album.

A Tribe Called Quest's Low End Theory came out about a year before The Chronic and I always thought Tribe's album was far superior, lyrically and production.

It's always "I, I, I" with you. Always sounding like a mariachi. In retrospect I prefer The Low End Theory as well but guess what?!? most people in 1992 did not. Including 9 yr old me and I'M FROM NEW YORK!

Prior to The Chronic lots of artists that claimed west coast were rolling with a more east coast flavored sound.

Including both Ices and 2Pac on his debut as well as Hammer. Even around the time The Chronic dropped like with Spice 1. Quik and Too Short were the only 2 unapologetically west coast sounding dudes that were really charting at that time.

The Chronic solidified the west coast G-Funk sound popularized by NWA's sophomore joint and took it to another level when it proved that it wasn't just a passing fad but definitely here to stay. It was the west saying "This is us!" and I honestly think you're trolling if you claim to not remember that.
  • Broddie
    Options
    - Elevated disses
    - Spawned Death Row Era
    - Elevated skits

Just to name a few

I'll agree to some of the points you made, but Niggaz4life was released about 18 months earlier and had the same sound. The main difference is he replaced Ren with Snoop. Also, from what I've deduced, white people claim The Chronic because they don't feel comfortable saying "Niggaz4life".

In fact, every point you made could be applied to No One Can Do It Better and Niggaz4life.

On a side note, I remember that era clearly. I agree that Dre had a different sound from what was going on in the East but they weren't the first rap group to usher in a new sound.

So saying that Dre had a new sound (Nuthin But A G Thing and Let Me Ride) is true, but that's not the first time somebody came from a different angle.

Lastly, The Chronic wasn't the first posse album. Marley Marl released In Control Volume 1 in the summer of 1988.

If you cannot tell the vibe difference between the Chronic and those albums than I am not sure what to say as you can not train an ear with written words and yours has no obvious ability to palette the flavor distinctions in the music...

In all honesty, without name calling or e-disses, can you please try to articulate how The Chronic was different from No One Can Do It Better and/or Niggaz4life?

D.O.C.'s album had much more in common with Straight Outta Compton sonically than it ever did with The Chronic or Niggaz4Life.
  • gemini86
    gemini86 Members Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He supposed to be some “old head” but ask questions like this lol
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »

It's always "I, I, I" with you. Always sounding like a mariachi. In retrospect I prefer The Low End Theory as well but guess what?!? most people in 1992 did not. Including 9 yr old me and I'M FROM NEW YORK!

Prior to The Chronic lots of artists that claimed west coast were rolling with a more east coast flavored sound.

Including both Ices and 2Pac on his debut as well as Hammer. Even around the time The Chronic dropped like with Spice 1. Quik and Too Short were the only 2 unapologetically west coast sounding dudes that were really charting at that time.

The Chronic solidified the west coast G-Funk sound popularized by NWA's sophomore joint and took it to another level when it proved that it wasn't just a passing fad but definitely here to stay. It was the west saying "This is us!" and I honestly think you're trolling if you claim to not remember that.

Of course it's I, I, I, what should I do, write about your opinion?

I was driving in The Bay Area with my cousin when Nuthin But A G Thing came on the radio. It was my first time hearing it and if you've ever been to the East Coast and The Bay Area you know its like yin and yang.

Nuthin But A G Thing is a top 10 Hip Hop song but The Chronic isn't a top 10 Hip Hop album. Not saying its wack but there's waaaaay better albums.

Also, the lyrics on The Chronic were kinda basic compared to the way NYC MCs were spitting. Maybe thats why people liked it so much, because the rhyming was simple and easy to understand.
  • Soloman_The_Wise
    Soloman_The_Wise Members Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    - Elevated disses
    - Spawned Death Row Era
    - Elevated skits

Just to name a few

I cannot tell you how to taste Prime Rib fam you either have the palette or you do not, that is not a E-Diss just facts. The G-Funk in the Chronic was in its purest form it was like Uncut Dope you can just tell the difference in quality or you cannot...
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    - Elevated disses
    - Spawned Death Row Era
    - Elevated skits

Just to name a few

I cannot tell you how to taste Prime Rib fam you either have the palette or you do not, that is not a E-Diss just facts. The G-Funk in the Chronic was in its purest form it was like Uncut Dope you can just tell the difference in quality or you cannot...

But I'm saying that The Formula by D.O.C. and Always Into Something by N.W.A. had the EXACT SAME G-Funk sound. So I have to reject the claim that The Chronic was "groundbreaking".

Plain and simply, The Chronic was NOT groundbreaking and I have the mp3s to prove it.
  • Soloman_The_Wise
    Soloman_The_Wise Members Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    - Elevated disses
    - Spawned Death Row Era
    - Elevated skits

Just to name a few

But I'm saying that The Formula by D.O.C. and Always Into Something by N.W.A. had the EXACT SAME G-Funk sound. So I have to reject the claim that The Chronic was "groundbreaking".

Plain and simply, The Chronic was NOT groundbreaking and I have the mp3s to prove it.

The fact you think it has the exact same G-Funk sound illustrates my point you can not audibly hear the significant differences between them and that is not something I can debate with you It is like me trying to explain the difference between Monarch and Crown Royal when you keep saying they taste the same to you...
  • Broddie
    edited December 2017
    Options

I was driving in The Bay Area with my cousin when Nuthin But A G Thing came on the radio. It was my first time hearing it and if you've ever been to the East Coast and The Bay Area you know its like yin and yang.

Nuthin But A G Thing is a top 10 Hip Hop song but The Chronic isn't a top 10 Hip Hop album. Not saying its wack but there's waaaaay better albums.

Also, the lyrics on The Chronic were kinda basic compared to the way NYC MCs were spitting. Maybe thats why people liked it so much, because the rhyming was simple and easy to understand.

No ? but if you're speaking in general terms like "why was this considered so groundbreaking?" you should never speak in personal absolutes to try to justify your own personal opinion.

That is what you did bringing up a 5 mic Tribe album for no other reason but to try to justify and strengthen your opinion that The Chronic was mediocre. Learn to shut the ? up and actually listen and you might get a genuine response to your query.

Furthermore so what if you were in the bay when G thang dropped? And?!? Are you implying that because cats in NY were feeling G Thang that cats in the bay were not since you felt it neccessary to point out how NY and the Bay are like night and day?

Ok. But what about the dudes who used to rock that song religiously or carried the album it was on like a bible all over southern cali? that's still the same state we're talking about here. So clearly millions of cali dudes were down with it from jump even if a few were not.

Like I don't get your point with that.
  • 5 Grand
    edited December 2017
    Options

The fact you think it has the exact same G-Funk sound illustrates my point you can not audibly hear the significant differences between them and that is not something I can debate with you It is like me trying to explain the difference between Monarch and Crown Royal when you keep saying they taste the same to you...

True story.

I know people that own bars. They distill bootleg liquor in their toilet and whenever somebody says, "This is the only brand I drink and I can tell the difference from other brands" the bartender serves them the bootleg liquor that they made in the toilet, served in the same bottle as the brand they claim is their favorite.

They can't tell the difference between their brand and bootleg liquor that was distilled in a toilet.

Its called being a "brand name chump". Malcolm X talked about it in his autobiography.
  • 5 Grand
    Options

No ? but if you're speaking in general terms like "why was this considered so groundbreaking?" you should never speak in personal absolutes to try to justify your own personal opinion.

That is what you did bringing up a 5 mic Tribe album for no other reason but to try to justify and strengthen your opinion that The Chronic was mediocre. Learn to shut the ? up and actually listen and you might get a genuine response to your query.

Furthermore so what if you were in the bay when G thang dropped? And?!? Are you implying that because cats in NY were feeling G Thang that cats in the bay were not since you felt it neccessary to point out how NY and the Bay are like night and day?

Ok. But what about the dudes who used to rock that song religiously or carried the album it was on like a bible all over southern cali? that's still the same state we're talking about here. So clearly millions of cali dudes were down with it from jump even if a few were not.

Like I don't get your point with that.

Yeah I think you missed my point, or maybe I didn't make it clear.

When I heard Nuthin But A G Thing in California for the first time it was like a religious experience. The scenery was perfect and the whole vibe was something that can't be explained to somebody who's never been to California. It was the perfect song at the perfect moment. Its one of the few times that I can remember exactly what I was doing when I heard a certain song for the first time.
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I was like 2 years old and I'm from New York and I can see the impact of that album, how the hell can't you?
  • The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options
  • Revolver Ocelot
    Revolver Ocelot Members Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I was In the the9th grade when the chronic dropped . I remember hearing noting but a g thang for the first time in high school whan a ? was in the stair well bumping that ? from his tape recorder and I was bobbing my head like "damn wtf is that?!?!

? you damn near 40, doing all that whining and ? in them Marvel/DC threads..

tenor.gif

• 5 Grand
    Options
    I was like 2 years old and I'm from New York and I can see the impact of that album, how the hell can't you?

Please explain the impact.

People are acting like The Chronic was the beginning of a new era when No One Can Do It Better and Niggaz4life had the exact same sound.
  • R2_163
    R2_163 Members Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Chronic was low key trash