Chicago PD Have Paid Out Almost $100 Million In 2 Months Over Police Misconduct

blackrain
blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
edited December 2017 in For The Grown & Sexy

The city of Chicago has agreed to pay $20 million to settle a code-of-silence lawsuit brought by the families of two young men killed in a fiery drunken driving crash caused by an off-duty police detective, sources told the Chicago Tribune.

The agreement to pay $10 million each to relatives of Andrew Cazares and Fausto Manzera was reached in dramatic fashion earlier this month after it was revealed that key documents involving an alcohol-fueled bar fight in detective Joseph Frugoli’s past had been improperly withheld.

The amount of the agreement was not made public, but sources have since confirmed the figure to the Tribune. The settlement must still be green-lighted by the city’s Finance Committee before going to the full City Council for a vote. That could happen as soon as next month.

If approved, it would mark yet another massive payout for the city in a police misconduct suit. In the past two months alone, nearly $100 million in judgments have been assessed against the city for police-related cases, including a record $44.7 million jury verdict in October for a man who was shot by his childhood friend, Officer Patrick Kelly, in an off-duty incident. Earlier this month, the City Council approved a $31 million payout for the “Englewood Four,” who each spent some 15 years in prison for a 1994 ? and murder before DNA linked the crime to a convicted killer.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-met-chicago-cop-fatal-dui-settlement-20171218-story.html

Comments

• 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i wonder where the money went to once the families received it
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Nah that can't be bruh - because the "system ain't broke".

@LPast, @CoconutCoon, and those other MFs say nothing's wrong with the system.
  • rickmogul
    rickmogul Members Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Baba Gregory said B4 his passing one of the things that'll curb this Police violence is lawsuits! Let this continue bcuz of their conduct. Memos will be sent all over Chi town stations. They ? with the money now and crosshairs R watching.
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah the sad thing is if you give $10Million to a poor, uneducated family they don't know how to invest it.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    i imagine between taxes and poor spending, it basically evaporates. real problem is that these payments are not successfully curing the police agencies in question of their ? .
  • radio_santana
    radio_santana Members Posts: 275 ✭✭
    I guess the powers that be would rather payout than reform smh. Im not privy to state and local bugets, but at this rate a program or two will not be funded
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i was always curious to see what were the payout in our biggest metropolis areas over a year, decade..last 30 years ? has to be crazy

• skpjr78
    skpjr78 Members Posts: 7,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Police officers should have to buy insurance as a condition of employment. The tax payers shouldn't have to be on the hook for ? like this. Cops should have to buy a private insurance policy that covers the cost of misconduct charges and lawsuits. If you have a ? poor history and can't afford the coverage or you can't find anyone to cover you than you can't get the job. No different than auto insurance. You are rated and charged based on the level of risk which is based on your background. The same principle could be applied to gun owners. If you can't get or afford insurance than you can't get the gun. It's a market based solution to a problem that is begging for a solution. It takes the tax payers off the hook and it applies the princple of personal responsibility that law enforcement is always talking about. Cities that are already cash strapped shouldn't have to bear the financial burden of a pos killer cop when they are already struggling to fund the school system, mass transit, public health, etc.
  • LPast
    LPast Members Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    7figz wrote: »
    Nah that can't be bruh - because the "system ain't broke".

@LPast, @CoconutCoon, and the other MFs say nothing's wrong with the system.

Lol. Working as designed... Collateral damage...
  • deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess the powers that be would rather payout than reform smh. Im not privy to state and local bugets, but at this rate a program or two will not be funded

True.

Those payouts will only be useful if it results in cutting police salaries.

Only problem is, they'd just run to their Union because that's probably not in their contract.
  • Scroter1
    Scroter1 Members Posts: 27