Big Baller Brand Didn’t Sell Nearly As Many Lonzo Ball Shoes As Initially Reported

Comments

• 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beta wrote: »
    but why take your child out the school vs just take him of the team?

He dont want him around other influences

or is it he just dont like the coach....kinda like he said
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    but why take your child out the school vs just take him of the team?

He dont want him around other influences

or is it he just dont like the coach....kinda like he said

Okay but you asked why not just the team but the school too...
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Smdh

I will wait For someone else to say it
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smdh

nobody else is...so I guess you got nothing to say =)
  • MallyG
    MallyG Members Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Broddie wrote: »
    http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/20554525/lavar-ball-brushes-lamelo-ball-eligibility-concerns-says-ncaa-not-my-boss
    LaVar: LaMelo shoe takes priority over eligibility

CHINO, Calif. -- If having a signature shoe ultimately costs 16-year-old LaMelo Ball his NCAA eligibility, his father, LaVar Ball, isn't worried about it.

Given a choice between one or the other, LaVar said the priority is the shoe.

"He's going to have a shoe," LaVar said Saturday night during his son's 16th birthday party, held at an event space at the Chino Airport. "NCAA ain't going to tell me s---. Because they're not my boss. That's what they do, but they're not going to be like, 'Oh, LaVar, you can't bring that shoe out until we tell you.' What? Something that I'm doing for my family? That's mine? I'm not under no umbrella."

LaMelo Ball's shoe -- the MB1 -- was available Thursday for preorder through Big Baller Brand's website for $395. His oldest brother, Los Angeles Lakers rookie and former UCLA standout Lonzo Ball, introduced his signature shoe this summer for $495.

LaMelo verbally committed to attend UCLA in two years. Currently, he attends Chino Hills High and is ranked as the No. 7 player in the Class of 2019.

In a statement regarding the matter, the NCAA on Thursday told ESPN's Darren Rovell, "Generally speaking, a college athlete or prospect paid for use of their athletics reputation or ability risks their future eligibility in that sport."

"This includes profiting from the sale of items bearing the young person's name," NCAA spokesperson Emily James told Rovell. "NCAA rules, however, do allow prospects to promote commercial products prior to enrollment, provided it is not for pay."

Said LaVar, "They're not going to tell me what I can do for my son and my family. He's not even in the NCAA, and that's the first thing they're coming up with instead of saying, 'Oh, that's a nice shoe. Your dad just gave a shoe to him, a signature shoe that he can play in that's to his specifications.' They're not looking at that part. They're looking at, 'How can we make it negative?' By saying, 'Oh, he's got to be ineligible for that. Gotta be.' No, it never happened before, so what are you saying?"

If LaMelo Ball isn't eligible to play college basketball because of his shoe, LaVar said he'll still train his son with the goal of helping him reach the NBA.

"We'll sit out a year or two," LaVar said. "Just get stronger and faster, and then go into [NBA training] camp as a free agent. He already got the narrative -- he can play, he can play. You see what he's doing at 15 and 16. Don't think that by the time he gets 17, 18 that he ain't going to be 10 times better than what he is now. And everybody says, 'Oh, he got to gain more weight.' Why? What you have to do is be strong. It ain't about the weight. It's about the strength."

When asked if his son would go play overseas, perhaps in Asia or Europe, instead of playing college basketball, LaVar flashed a smile.

"Everybody else got to go because you've got to make some money," LaVar said. "We need to make money, [but] we ain't got to go nowhere. All we got to do is train. They want to see whether you can make a shot, whether you can run or you're strong. The game don't change."

LaVar added, "If we already got this narrative of being a good player and a top-10 pick as a high schooler, if you go to college and you don't perform, you can't do nothing but hurt yourself. So what I'm saying is, I'm not going to make it a big deal where I'm like, Melo definitely has to go to college in order for him to succeed. You just gotta be ready to play and do your job."

LaMelo Ball didn't seem too concerned about facing a potential dilemma regarding his eligibility.

"I've still got two years left, so I'll worry about that when it gets there," he said.

UCLA issued a statement to ESPN earlier this week that said the university could not comment specifically about LaMelo Ball, citing NCAA rules.

"UCLA cannot comment on any prospective student-athlete until he or she has signed a letter of intent or scholarship agreement," the statement read. "Any prospective student-athlete's amateur status needs to be certified prior to his or her participating in team activity. As such, NCAA eligibility is assessed at the start of every student-athlete's academic year and is re-evaluated, as needed. Once cleared by the NCAA, institutions can allow that student-athlete to participate."

LiAngelo (Gelo) Ball, the Ball family's middle brother, is a freshman for the Bruins.

soooo.

y'all read this as a good thing I guess?

did I or did I not say...this is more about him than his sons an he could hurt his kids.

so now after two kids went/going to college... now it's not a requirement?

smdh

he's too worried about himself looking defiant...an how people are against him.
    so he has an out if things don't work out but takes all the credit if they do.

guess who else does that?

an to not even have a back up plan? he'll handle it when it comes up?

this the business genius y'all rooting for?

I am really surprised ...y'all can't see this is all game. don't be blinded by this guy by wanting to support a black mans business.

he's not stupid...this is victim marketing

But are you buying a $1000 IPhone?

i would never send that much on a phone .....any phone.

CHUCH!!!

I've never bought an iPhone in my life. Not about to start by dropping 1 stack. I wouldn't even drop 1 stack on furniture.

I agree about not spendin a rack for a phone, but you can't dig a lil' deeper for some furniture bruh??

9 times outta 10, you'll end up saving yourself $ in the long run by paying more for a quality piece of furniture instead of goin' the less expensive route. Jus sayin....

• 2stepz_ahead
    Smdh

nobody else is...so I guess you got nothing to say =)

http://hoopshype.com/2017/10/05/the-untold-story-of-why-lonzo-ball-big-baller-brand-remixed-the-zo2/
    Los Angeles Lakers rookie point guard Lonzo Ball and his younger brother LaMelo Ball are basketball players, not sneaker designers.

Yet the 19-year-old and 16-year-old both have signature shoes through their family-owned company Big Baller Brand. While others in the NBA have all the resources provided by worldwide leaders like adidas or Nike, the decision to go independent has already been met with some roadblocks.

Trial and error are natural in product design, but when the price point is much higher than competitors, the consumer will inevitably have even more reason to scrutinize.

Here is why LaVar Ball and Lonzo decided to scrap the first version of his signature shoe and how Big Baller Brand ended up where they are today.
    The Original ‘ZO2’

David Corsi is a footwear executive who has experience with major shoe companies including Skechers, New Balance and Converse.

It’s possible that LaVar was previously familiar with Corsi because he is the Director of Operations for a competitive youth basketball team in Southern California. Corsi was a special guest of the Ball family at the 2017 NBA Draft in Brooklyn.

One quick glance at his LinkedIn profile indicates Corsi developed the basketball shoe that Lonzo occasionally wore during his summer league games in Las Vegas.

But it’s no secret Lonzo was hesitant to wear the original version of the ZO2 sneakers (via SB Nation):

“Ball played in different shoes throughout the summer league, but he played his two worst games in his own sneaker. He also did his first Lakers workout in a pair of James Harden Vol. 1 sneakers from Adidas … That summer league period could have just been one big wear test. There was speculation that Ball just wasn’t comfortable in his own shoe and was wearing shoes from other brands to find what fit worked best for him.”

Beyond the speculation mentioned above, there are no quotes or any kind of confirmation from Lonzo indicating he didn’t enjoy wearing the first version of his signature shoe.

But before any were even shipped to the consumer, they were removed from the market.
    Manufacturing Problems

Even though Big Baller Brand first announced the $495 price tag for Lonzo’s signature shoe in May, they were not going to get shipped until November. The significant delay indicates there was likely not a manufacturing plan in place.

Nick DePaula, a sneaker industry expert, reported BBB made “repeated requests” to Chinese apparel company Anta about a manufacturing pitch. Anta was not interested in the proposed arrangement.

Even though people were already purchasing the shoe, they had nothing to offer. Is that why LaVar once literally gave former NBA player Rashad McCants the shoes off his feet?

If they wanted to produce something for the masses, it wasn’t going to be cheap (via ESPN):

“Each size warrants its own separate “tooling mold” — a metal cavity that rubber is poured into and then molded through a heating process into the bottom of the shoe. A mold can cost anywhere from $5,000 to $10,000, depending on the size and geometry. For a full-size run of sneakers ranging from sizes 7 through 13, including most half-sizes, that could mean paying for as much as 10 tooling molds.”

Other industry analysts estimate a tooling mold could run as pricey as $20,000 per size.

As such, the $495 price tag likely covered upfront costs for those molds as well as materials, design patents, design cutouts and manufacturing costs for labor.

Brandblack Involvement

When leading sneaker companies like Nike were not interested in co-branding opportunities, and when overseas businesses like Anta declined manufacturing partnerships, BBB decided to look locally.

They approached Brandblack, who once made signature shoes for Jamal Crawford. It seemed like a perfect fit considering the Southern California-based team has made it clear they are also trying to disrupt the sneaker world.

Much like Corsi, the founder of the company David Raysse had previous experience as a high-ranking executive for Skechers. He is also the former head of basketball for adidas and was the lead basketball designer for Fila.

Billy Dill, the creative director of Brandblack, knew he was in for a tough task and hinted the original ‘ZO2’ was not up to standard (via Slam):

“You cannot make a performance basketball shoe from scratch in three months. Impossible. So in order for them to deliver the highest quality, functioning shoe to their consumer, they would have to change the design or deliver a basketball shoe that you can’t play in.”

But because BBB was to stay independent, Brandblack representatives founded a design consultancy group called Santa Ana, which was confirmed to Sporting News and WearTesters.

In the interview with Slam earlier this week, Dill confirmed that Big Baller Brand was using existing molds to create the shoes for Lonzo and LaMelo:

“We suggested using one of our existing outsole molds as the foundation and we flew to China to implement an all hands on deck type of attack with a very elite factory to get an incredible product made in record time.”

Lonzo, who has already worn the new ‘ZO2 Remix’ during the preseason, is using a mold nearly identical to the Future Legend Low. LaMelo’s MB1 shoe is almost the same as the WearTesters collab with Brandblack’s Rare Metal sneaker.

For LaMelo, the silhouette of the underpinnings is also very similar. The camo pattern on the upper looks familiar as well while the midsole and traction are nearly identical.

Price Difference

Now that the BBB is not covering the molds, considering Brandblack is helping with that, what are the consumers getting for the extra price?

Finish Line has the Rare Metal shoes, which retail for around $110, on sale for $70. These use the same molding as LaMelo’s shoes, on sale for $395. Future Legends, meanwhile are available on the Brandblack website for $120—much cheaper than the $495 that BBB will charge for the ZO2 Remix.

BBB explains some of the new features on its website, and Dill spoke about it with Slam:

“Basically we introduced a new foam compound we were going to release in a new Spring/Summer 2018 product. So that’s different. The upper is definitely different. We also added carbon fiber to the heel and tested multiple carbon shanks for hyper-responsive rebound. But truth be told, Lonzo didn’t like the full-length carbon fiber – and if you watch his game, I don’t think he really needs that anyway … And in a lot of ways, it will become superior on the level of basketball because their prices will be much higher and allow us to push it as far as it can go.”

A budget to match the market price can constrain and limit the potential of a shoe. With this, however, there’s no such problem.

The sneakers may have similar design and performance elements, but BBB customers might get better foam, rubber and knitted materials. Or they can just profit immensely on the first run as consumers have a novelty item.

Then with the surplus money, the cash flow can go back into the business to create new molds for the next edition of each sneaker. Based on projected profit for BBB and Lonzo’s NBA salary, the opportunity to keep growing is absolutely available.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    edited October 2017
    ^^^^

as much ? as i talk...honestly ...i hope this aint true.
    i wanted to be proven wrong in this case.
  • 2stepz_ahead
  • 2stepz_ahead
    ^^^^^^^6
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    They had to buy a BBB shirt for this skit

Lavar won

They just making jokes bruh.

Lol I know man I'm just saying..I know there's ppl in the crowd that hate that beige ?

he's making himself unlikeable.... it's stupid to do when his path is soo fukking easy.

fukk ? needs to stay in the background. it's his sons time to shine. if it's a family business.... when he acting like a ? ?

ole white wife hybrid kid black owned business fukkery ass ? .

? has a whole demographic he can tap into...but he rather be a fake problem.

That's not who he is though. The money and fame from his boys will not change how he acts if he been like this for 20 years. He always gonna do things his way. The big baller way

Everybody can't be jahlil okafor father...

Who? Exactly..

Who was lavar before his sons?

So you telling me.....
    you would try to loud mouth an troll because your sons are good?

My ? ...do you know what you saying?

Is this about ? on the establishment by any means for a win?

Black excellence Doesn't need to be black fukkery

Who was his sons before lavar? Lol

I'm saying lavar been like that before all the media attention. Why would he change who he is just because ppl watching? To work well with others? To get money from crackas?

If he feels he can do it on his own and put the power in his boys' and his own hands he don't ever have to play partner/slave to anybody

If lonzo beat up a girl is BBB gonna drop him?

He IS BBB

plus you a documented hater so I mean...what's the point. You dont like loud negroes...well actually you a meek fan so maybe I'm wrong

Where am i a documented hater?

You still missing what I'm saying ...its not about doing it on his own. Its how hes going about it.

Its not about pleasing crackas....

Its not about changing who he is...he should fall back an let his son's shine. Let the product speak for itself.

Why is that hard to understand?

Why don't ? grasp that concept?

Loud Negros?

? you sounding dumb now.

Can you loud an professional?

Can you be loud an focus on business without fukkery?

What are you ? really defending?

And dont bring up meek...you ? only see what you want. Then give other Fkkery a pass.
    Who tf are you to tell another ? how he should market HIS brand? Its his ? and he earned the right to talk as much ? as he wants. His sons will all be MILLIONAIRES off basketball, so ? crying about Lavar's personality need to ? . I'd rather a ? make $$$ being himself than out here coonin it up

• black caesar
    black caesar Members Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you read the book by Phil Knight "Shoe Dog" His shoes fell apart the minute they started running, but he fixed the problem. Lavar Ball isn't the only one that had problems.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    If you read the book by Phil Knight "Shoe Dog" His shoes fell apart the minute they started running, but he fixed the problem. Lavar Ball isn't the only one that had problems.

im not sure what you took from the book.

but knight was working hard to perfect something he believed in.
    he knew he was attached to something and wanted to deliver blood ,sweat and tears.

not sure how you can even compare these two.

like i said earlier.....i think yall looking too hard for a feel good black man takes down the industry story.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    blackrain wrote: »

it is a sneaker backed by an offshoot company of sketchers that created a side company just to deal with BBB.

but that dont make it a bad sneak. we all have a difference of opinion and what we like and i would not take too many people word on this because of the want for him to fall.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    that was harsh...he said scrub a ? with...lol

but i need other reviews
  • 2stepz_ahead
    MR.CJ wrote: »

??????

smdh

let me guess he dont think the kids should be pimped by colleges ....an not get paid..so he will ? them an give them a few dollars.

while this is great idea and if he gets tv time and the money off commercials....this could be great for everyone all around.

i just want him to take his time...and plan this out right...well i want him and his brother to plan this out right.

but who dont want to go to college, im not sure he should say that tho.

he is going to have thee kids chasing money with nothing to fall back on. as long as he promotes higher learning and a plan b.....i support this move.

but now colleges are going to have to step up and i wonder if the NBA will ask for minimum degrees now.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    i am starting to wonder about this guy tho.....outside of his loud rants....it seems to be some underlying promotion that being allowed here...no not about his brand.....just aint put my finger on it yet.

seems alot of black people are following him blindly....and now this.....hmmmmm
  • detcatinva
    detcatinva Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NBA already ahead of the game with the g league.

NBA is quietly been planning for the day of the NCAA to dissolve. Now that the H league teams belong to an NBA affiliate it will mostly become an NBA minor league
  • black caesar
    black caesar Members Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i am starting to wonder about this guy tho.....outside of his loud rants....it seems to be some underlying promotion that being allowed here...no not about his brand.....just aint put my finger on it yet.

seems alot of black people are following him blindly....and now this.....hmmmmm

Bruh.......