Colin Kaepernick refuses “to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses Black people”...

Options

Comments

• stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2017/12/saints_fan_sues_club_seeking_r.html
    Saints ticket holder sues club, seeking refund over players' protest

Lee Dragna charges in his suit, filed Dec. 11 in the 24th Judicial District, that the demonstrations and the resulting booing and cursing by fans at the players caused his tickets to lose their entertainment value.

A spokesman for the New Orleans Saints said Tuesday that the "issue has been turned over to legal counsel and we have no comment."

Dragna, of St. Mary Parish, states in the suit that he bought the tickets "for his entertainment and intellectual enjoyment and the entertainment and intellectual enjoyment of his family, friends and clients."

However Dragna said he has not attended a Saints game since the Sept. 17 game against the New England Patriots in New Orleans. Dragna's suit states that some of the players refused to take the field until after the National Anthem. When the players entered the field, passing directly in front of where he and his guests were seated, many of the fans "in that area booed and cursed at the Saints players."

Dragna's suit cites instances at other games in which Saints players kneeled during the anthem, charging that they were "following the lead of Colin Kaepernick by disrespecting the flag, the Anthem; the USA and those who have served and are serving the USA in our military."

His suit later states that apparently, "these actions taken by the Saints football players were in protest of racial inequality and police brutality."

Saints players and those from several other teams starting kneeling or sitting during the anthem shortly after President Donald Trump called on NFL owners to fire players who did not stand during the anthem. Trump's initial comments about the football players' demonstrations came during a political rally in Alabama.

Kaepernick, the former quarterback for the San Franciso 49ers, has said he began kneeling during the anthem in 2016 to bring attention to the country's social inequalities, including police brutality and excessive force against African-Americans.

Dragna said he would not have bought the tickets if he'd known the players would use the Saints games "as a platform for protests."

In addition to a full refund, he's asking that the Saints pay for his attorney fees and any other costs associated with his ticket purchases.

dbkv1y186z1f.gif
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He only been to 1 game

So I’m not understanding this nonsense
  • Ghost313
    Ghost313 Members Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Saints have keeled before the anthem, then stood during it...dude dumb as hell.
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I was just listening to Izzy & Spain on ESPN radio just now and they were talking about this. Lol
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Play ? like the xfl!
  • chgarcia345
    chgarcia345 Members Posts: 577 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Max. wrote: »
    How did that 30 for 30 inspire him to try again????
  • stringer bell
    Options
    http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/kaepernick-visits-rikers-island-sparks-feud-union-article-1.3693792
    Colin Kaepernick visits Rikers Island, sparks new feud with correction officers union

Colin Kaepernick walked off the sidelines Tuesday — and onto Rikers Island — for a surprise visit with jail inmates that’s sparked a new battle in the NFL protest movement.

The former San Francisco 49ers quarterback was at the city jail to speak to detainees inside the George Motchan Detention Center, according to jail insiders.

Kaepernick’s 2016 decision to kneel during the National Anthem in protest of racial injustice and police brutality quickly became a lightning rod this fall, drawing praise from supporters — many of whom took a knee in solidarity — and vocal criticism from others, including President Trump.

His presence Tuesday at Rikers drew an immediate rebuke from the union representing city correction officers, which promptly yanked its sponsorship of a Christmas tree lighting celebration.

"This will only encourage inmates to continue to attack Correction Officers at a time when we need more protection," said Elias Husamudeen, president of the Correction Officers’ Benevolent Association.

Furious union leaders noted socks Kaepernick wore in September 2016 depicting cops as little cartoon pigs in explaining their opposition.

"Once again, correction officers find themselves caught in Mayor de Blasio's political con-game,” Husamudeen said. “This is yet another brazen display of the hypocrisy of this mayor who pretends to support us in public, yet does everything possible to jeopardize our security in private."

Kaepernick, however, has been hailed by inmate advocates who cite his outspoken calls for criminal justice reforms.

"Colin Kaepernick visited Rikers today to share a message of hope and inspiration," said Correction Department spokesman Peter Thorne, who noted the visit was not unusual and didn't cost anything.

It was unclear if the mayor approved the sidelined QB’s visit, but all group jail visits must be cleared by top department brass.

Despite solid play on the field last year, Kaepernick, a free agent, was not signed by any of the National Football League's 32 teams this year. In October, he filed a grievance against the league, arguing team owners upset over his sideline protest colluded to keep him out. That case is pending.

Glenn Martin, founder of JustLeadershipUSA, a group advocating for the closure of Rikers, defended Kaepernick's visit.

"The world should see the hell that is Rikers Island," he said. "Colin's profile has helped shed light where it is needed. The fact that correction officers are more focused on his socks while people are getting their brains bashed in is despicable."

He added, "Colin understands that the systemic racism he's fighting nationally is epitomized on Rikers."

giphy.gif
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't think a league run by racist ass Vince McMahon will be the solution the black athletes needs.
  • farris2k1
    farris2k1 Members Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't think a league run by racist ass Vince McMahon will be the solution the black athletes needs.

Wat??? Who thinks itd be a solution to anything let alone black issues?? Lol ? just another way for him to try and make money again
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I've never seen so many tears over a pair of socks.
  • Fly society513
    Fly society513 Members Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've never seen so many years over a pair of socks.

And it's not like he created the socks. Anyone can buy those.

They're just being petty like always, nitpicking with pointless ? like cops being called pigs isn't a common thing. I bet a white person designed those socks.

• Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

They're just being petty like always, nitpicking with pointless ? like cops being called pigs isn't a common thing. I bet a white person designed those socks.

I can almost guarantee those socks were made in China by a company owned by white men
  • R0mp
    R0mp Members Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? Jerry Richardson
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2017/12/saints_fan_sues_club_seeking_r.html
    Saints ticket holder sues club, seeking refund over players' protest

Lee Dragna charges in his suit, filed Dec. 11 in the 24th Judicial District, that the demonstrations and the resulting booing and cursing by fans at the players caused his tickets to lose their entertainment value.

A spokesman for the New Orleans Saints said Tuesday that the "issue has been turned over to legal counsel and we have no comment."

Dragna, of St. Mary Parish, states in the suit that he bought the tickets "for his entertainment and intellectual enjoyment and the entertainment and intellectual enjoyment of his family, friends and clients."

However Dragna said he has not attended a Saints game since the Sept. 17 game against the New England Patriots in New Orleans. Dragna's suit states that some of the players refused to take the field until after the National Anthem. When the players entered the field, passing directly in front of where he and his guests were seated, many of the fans "in that area booed and cursed at the Saints players."

Dragna's suit cites instances at other games in which Saints players kneeled during the anthem, charging that they were "following the lead of Colin Kaepernick by disrespecting the flag, the Anthem; the USA and those who have served and are serving the USA in our military."

His suit later states that apparently, "these actions taken by the Saints football players were in protest of racial inequality and police brutality."

Saints players and those from several other teams starting kneeling or sitting during the anthem shortly after President Donald Trump called on NFL owners to fire players who did not stand during the anthem. Trump's initial comments about the football players' demonstrations came during a political rally in Alabama.

Kaepernick, the former quarterback for the San Franciso 49ers, has said he began kneeling during the anthem in 2016 to bring attention to the country's social inequalities, including police brutality and excessive force against African-Americans.

Dragna said he would not have bought the tickets if he'd known the players would use the Saints games "as a platform for protests."

In addition to a full refund, he's asking that the Saints pay for his attorney fees and any other costs associated with his ticket purchases.

dbkv1y186z1f.gif
    I literally looked liked Big Sean in the gif after reading that ? .

If these bigots went hard for the message of the protest like they do resisting the peaceful protesting that doesn't even interfere with the damn game, I'd feel a lot better about the future of society.
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I can almost guarantee those socks were made in China by a company owned by white men

But look what they've tried to do with it
    szwtp4fax9y9.png
  • stringer bell
    edited December 2017
    Options
    http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21801332/jerry-jones-laments-jerry-richardson-exit-ranks-nfl-sad
    Jerry Jones laments Richardson's exit: 'I'm sad'

Jerry Jones was four years into his ownership tenure of the Dallas Cowboys when Jerry Richardson was awarded an expansion franchise by the NFL in 1993.

On Sunday, Jones said the situation surrounding Richardson's decision to sell the Carolina Panthers saddened him.

"I'm very sad,"
    Jones said after the Cowboys' win at the Oakland Raiders. "Jerry is one of the really, really, really outstanding men of football that I've ever met, and I really admire him. I know that he made it the old-fashioned way. He worked for it. He took what he made in a short time in pro football and turned it into a great business and then used that to get the Carolina franchise. So he's a great story."

Richardson, amid allegations of workplace misconduct, announced Sunday night in a letter on the team website that he plans to put the NFL team he founded up for sale after the 2017 season.

The letter came after Sports Illustrated published a story reporting the Panthers had settled with at least four former employees regarding inappropriate workplace behavior by Richardson.

Richardson, 81, allegedly made verbal comments about women's appearances, inappropriately touched female employees and made advances to women that included asking whether he could shave their legs and for them to give him foot rubs. The allegations also included the use of a racial slur that led to a settlement with a scout and comments made by Richardson about black players' appearances and his threat to discipline players who addressed social issues.

"I'm saddened by any of the stories or things that might have incited this at this time," Jones said. "He's a battler; he's a big man with a big heart.
    And by the way, that's somebody else's heart -- he's had a heart transplant."

Richardson, a former receiver for the Baltimore Colts, was hospitalized in 2008, one month after receiving a pacemaker for heart problems. He underwent quadruple bypass surgery in 2002 and was placed on a donor waiting list for a new heart. He received his new heart in February 2009, and he has not had any known setbacks since.

"He'll be the first to tell you he's had a blessed life," Jones said. "I'm really sad. I want all of those kind of men we can have in the National Football League."

Jerry once again reveals his true self…
  • Fly society513
    Fly society513 Members Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

But look what they've tried to do with it
    szwtp4fax9y9.png

Cut that man a check

• stringer bell
    Options
    TheBoyRo wrote: »

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21840009/papa-john-founder-ceo-weeks-nfl-comments
    Papa John's founder John Schnatter will step down as CEO next month, about two months after he publicly criticized NFL leadership over national anthem protests by football players -- comments for which the company later apologized.

Schnatter will be replaced as chief executive by Chief Operating Officer Steve Ritchie on Jan. 1, the company announced Thursday. Schnatter, who appears in the chain's commercials and on its pizza boxes, and is the company's biggest shareholder, remains chairman of the board.

Earlier this year, Schnatter blamed slowing sales growth at Papa John's -- an NFL sponsor and advertiser -- on the outcry surrounding players kneeling during the national anthem. Former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick had kneeled during the national anthem to protest what he said was police mistreatment of black men, and other players started kneeling as well.

"The controversy is polarizing the customer, polarizing the country," Schnatter said during a conference call about the company's earnings on Nov. 1.

Papa John's apologized two weeks later, after white supremacists praised Schnatter's comments. The Louisville, Kentucky-based company distanced itself from the group, saying that it did not want them to buy their pizza.

Ritchie declined to say Thursday if the NFL comments played a role in Schnatter stepping down, only saying that it's "the right time to make this change."

Shares of Papa John's are down about 13 percent since the day before the NFL comments were made, reducing the value of Schnatter's stake in the company by nearly $84 million.
    Schnatter owns nearly 9.5 million shares of Papa John's International Inc., and his total stake was valued at more than $560 million on Thursday, according to FactSet. The company's stock is down 30 percent since the beginning of the year.

Schnatter, 56, founded Papa John's more than three decades ago, when he turned a broom closet at his father's bar into a pizza spot. And it has since grown to more than 5,000 locations. Schnatter has also become the face of the company, showing up in TV ads with former football player Peyton Manning.

The company hasn't decided if Schnatter will still be its spokesman, Ritchie said, adding that a decision will be made early next year.

aiutdvtucayx.gif
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yea he still getting money so what's the difference
    he will be a share holder and a major player in papa johns

PR for me has always meant ?
  • stringer bell
    Options
    http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21846807/baltimore-ravens-send-letter-fans-noticeable-no-shows-home-games
    Ravens admit protest has led to fan no-shows

OWINGS MILLS, Md. -- The Baltimore Ravens sent out a letter this week to season-ticket holders, suite holders and sponsors about the number of no-shows at M&T Bank Stadium this season, touching upon the national anthem protest as one potential reason for it.

The letter, which was signed by team president ? Cass, mentions how there have been empty seats in the past when the Ravens have struggled on the field. But this year is different with Baltimore in the midst of a playoff race.

"The numbers [of no-shows] are higher, and it is noticeable," Cass wrote in the 656-word letter. "There are a number of reasons for the no-shows, but surely the one-time protest in London has been a factor."

The Ravens' first national anthem protest as a team occurred in London on Sept. 24, when more than a dozen players knelt before the first NFL game of the day. That began a day-long chain of protests that came in the wake of President Donald Trump's critical comments and tweets on protests during the anthem.

The following week in Baltimore, the Ravens knelt in prayer before standing for the anthem. Fans at M&T Bank Stadium booed the players when they took a knee.

There have since been no more protests by the team.

"We have responded to your concerns about the protest by re-doubling the efforts of both the organization and our players to make the Baltimore area a better community," Cass wrote.

According to Cass, the Ravens reached out to a number of fans who wrote to the team or called about the protest. Cass also personally made a number of phone calls and met with some fans, the letter stated.

"We want the Ravens to continue to be a strong, unifying force and source of pride in our community," Cass wrote. "When the Ravens win, we can bring families and the community together. We've done that before, and we can do it again.

"In light of recent events, we are also reminded that winning alone is not always enough to make the Ravens the unifying force we want to be. We don't take your support for granted, and we know that we must continue to earn your respect and investment in us."

In the letter, Cass underscores the history of success, including two Super Bowl championships, and the team's commitment to the community.

The letter was sent out before Baltimore finishes out the regular season with home games against the Indianapolis Colts and Cincinnati Bengals. If the Ravens win out, they will clinch their first playoff berth since 2014.

"I think they're starting to get excited about this football team," coach John Harbaugh said after last Sunday's win over the Cleveland Browns, "so it should be fun in our stadium against the Colts next Saturday night."

I bet the majority of the no-shows are whites from the suburbs of Baltimore.. Who probably believe Freddie Gray somehow magically killed him self in that police van.. And blacks folks are just making up stories about police brutality.. So those players have no right to protest...