Essence Essentials - Official Thread

Comments

• Neslom
    Neslom Members Posts: 431
    edited August 2010
    Nice to see this still.
    I'm downloading RuffDraft right now. I can't seem to download rip.dilla's mix, I used the new link you did
  • RuffDraft
    RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    ill add you to the rotation if you want..let me know.

Cant wait to listen to this...Love the artwork too hahaha..totally fitting :tu

haha glad you like it :tu

Let me know when you've listened to it, you know many of the artists on there? I had to remove one of the tracks because you had it on one of yours!
    Neslom wrote: »
    Nice to see this still.
    I'm downloading RuffDraft right now. I can't seem to download rip.dilla's mix, I used the new link you did

Dilla's Essentials is working :tu

I'm about to give that a listen today.

Looking forward to seeing what you think Neslom.
  • Neslom
    edited August 2010
    RuffDraft wrote: »
    Dilla's Essentials is working :tu

I'm about to give that a listen today.

Looking forward to seeing what you think Neslom.

Weird, I still can't seem to make it work. I can get to mediafire but when I press the "start download"-link it doesn't there's nothing going on.

Just finished listening to your mix, it's great.
    Favorite songs:
    re: plus - Everlasting Truth
    Michita - Come Here
    Michita - Memorial
    DJ Whitesmith - Haku
    DJ Nozawa - Moby/My Weakness
    DJ Tonk Featuring Pismo - My Underground Life
    DJ Deckstream Featuring Bahamadia - Still Here

I rarely listen to instrumental music but that first half of the mix was nicely relaxing. Great when you just want to chill. Even though the songs with lyrics were good they seemed to be a bit of a weird add for this mix.
  • RuffDraft
    edited August 2010
    Weird, I still can't seem to make it work. I can get to mediafire but when I press the "start download"-link it doesn't there's nothing going on.

Just finished listening to your mix, it's great.
    Favorite songs:
    re: plus - Everlasting Truth
    Michita - Come Here
    Michita - Memorial
    DJ Whitesmith - Haku
    DJ Nozawa - Moby/My Weakness
    DJ Tonk Featuring Pismo - My Underground Life
    DJ Deckstream Featuring Bahamadia - Still Here

I rarely listen to instrumental music but that first half of the mix was nicely relaxing. Great when you just want to chill. Even though the songs with lyrics were good they seemed to be a bit of a weird add for this mix.

:) thanks for listening and the feedback, I thought Bahamadia did that track justice, is great to see a legend coming back into her own as she does so well. Michita and re: plus are two of my favourites, good picks.

Yeah, I included the tracks with emcees on to show all of what Japan has to offer, it's like a 2nd coming from track 16 onwards. I tried to make the gradual change a nice and easy one starting with the love topics and then went into the harder hitting tracks as they progressed. If you want to split the mix that's on you :tu

BTW, did you draw your avi?
  • Neslom
    edited August 2010
    :) thanks for listening and the feedback, I thought Bahamadia did that track justice, is great to see a legend coming back into her own as she does so well. Michita and re: plus are two of my favourites, good picks.

Yeah, I included the tracks with emcees on to show all of what Japan has to offer, it's like a 2nd coming from track 16 onwards. I tried to make the gradual change a nice and easy one starting with the love topics and then went into the harder hitting tracks as they progressed. If you want to split the mix that's on you :tu

BTW, did you draw your avi?

Didn't know it was a female or her association with GangStarr Foundation, I'll check more stuff from her.

Do you listen to a lot of Japanese artists? If I recall it's not the first time there has been artists from Japan on your mix. Nothing wrong with it, I have never thought about checking the Japanese scene which sounds to be nice. Anyone you would recommend to start with?

The Avi is a still from Kanye West's video "Heard Em Say". I did have one of my own drawings as an avi once though.
  • RuffDraft
    edited August 2010
    Bahamadia is well dubbed as one of the best emcees that has ever lived. Check out 'Good Rap Music' and 'Kollage' for more...

Yeah, I guess I do. I first started listening back in 2006 when I listened to CYNE, I discovered a song by Cise Star called 'Feather' which was produced by Nujabes. Nujabes is widely recognised as possibly THE producer from Japan. He's produced for films and also has a nice discography with Hydeout Productions. He's probably the man that I would point you towards if you wanted to start listening, unfortunately he died in a car crash earlier this year. Any of his albums are worth listening to first, I started with 'Metaphorical Music'.

Sweet, do you draw Manga? I've just started, the album cover is something I did from a book about how to draw Manga. I enjoy doing it.
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Yo, Draft...

Brilliant playlist... something different for a change

The production all sound somewhat similar or follow a pattern...

You also know Funky DL resides(d) there (Japan)?

He couldn't break even in the UK... I guess he had access to crazy production gear in Tokyo LOL
  • Neslom
    edited August 2010
    Nice, this is why this forum is great (mostly this section) ... expanding my music horizon. I think I'll give Metaphorical Music a listen too.

I never really got into reading manga, I used to watch anime but that isn't really my drawing style. I'm into western cartoon or illustration. It's a nice cover you did. You draw a lot?
  • theillestrator
    theillestrator Members Posts: 1,085 ✭✭
    edited August 2010
    word, i'll check out the playlist later tonight. good looking
  • rip.dilla
    edited August 2010
    It also had some of my fave rappers Elzhi, Lupe & Bahamadia... props
  • RuffDraft
    edited August 2010
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    Yo, Draft...

Brilliant playlist... something different for a change

The production all sound somewhat similar or follow a pattern...

You also know Funky DL resides(d) there (Japan)?

He couldn't break even in the UK... I guess he had access to crazy production gear in Tokyo LOL

Thanks Dilla, I spent ages on it to make it different, but to make a whole Japanese album it took a lot more listening than I thought it would to make it flow.

I didn't know that about Funky DL! haha I watched the new Karate Kid the other day, made me realise why they're all such talented musicians (even though that's based in China), they make it their life and practise non-stop.

Cool that you liked the featured rappers too! That Lupe Fiasco track is nice, it'd be great to hear a whole album with Lupe and Japanese production, but I guess that's not gonna happen! I need to burn a CD with yours on, I can't get those files to play on my Mac :( I need mp3's or MPEG audios. Sucks.
    Nice, this is why this forum is great (mostly this section) ... expanding my music horizon. I think I'll give Metaphorical Music a listen too.

I never really got into reading manga, I used to watch anime but that isn't really my drawing style. I'm into western cartoon or illustration. It's a nice cover you did. You draw a lot?

Yeah, allhiphop is a good place to learn as well as UGHH.

You'll enjoy Metaphorical Music, try 2nd Collection and Modal Soul as well though.

That's cool. No, I don't get to draw much, just on the rare occasions that I get the time to. I'm hoping that each playlist, I'll sketch a cover though. That way I'll keep it going... I bought some Letraset ProMarker's and they're really nice :tu
    word, i'll check out the playlist later tonight. good looking

Look forward to hearing your thoughts :tu
  • jackthemack
    jackthemack Members Posts: 11,491 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    I liked the Japanese playlist. I listen to a lot of Japanese Hip Hop but a lot of that I've never heard.
  • satyrone
    satyrone Members Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Ruff Draft Presents... Japanese Joy

RuffDraftPresentsJapaneseJoy.jpg?t=1280703424

Tracklist

1. DJ Okawari - Evening Comes 2
    2. Ayur - Children of the Earth
    3. Infumiai Kuminai - Never Ending Story (Track by ノリミツ)
    4. Michita - Footsteps
    5. re: plus - Everlasting Truth
    6. Michita - Come Here
    7. re: plus - Getting Close
    8. Michita - Memorial
    9. DJ Whitesmith - Haku
    10. DJ Nozawa - Moby/My Weakness
    11. Michita - Kankami
    12. re: plus Featuring Nick Smalc- Never Looking Back
    13. OVALL - Take U to Somewhere
    14. Hammadi - Clapper
    15. Suburban - Suburban (Love 2)
    16. Himuki Featuring Sene - Hold On
    17. re: plus Featuring Cise Star (of CYNE) - Sol
    18. DJ Deckstream Featuring Lupe Fiasco, Verbal and Sarah Green - Can You Let Me Know
    19. Himuki Featuring Raashan Ahmad - Alright
    20. DJ Tonk Featuring Pismo - My Underground Life
    21. DJ Mitsu The Beats Featuring Elzhi - Get'em Up
    22. SEEDA Featuring サイプレス上野, BACHLOGIC - Hell's Kitchen
    23. SEEDA - Dear Japan
    24. DJ Deckstream Featuring Bahamadia - Still Here

---

If you're into chilled out music, this is a must download. The tracks from 16 onwards include rappers and SEEDA's Dear Japan is a MUST listen.

I hope you enjoy and come back to comment.

dope mix been awhile since ive heard some japanese hp-hop!!!!

maybe someday down the line ill post a Dubstep mix. jus gotta fix my turntable or buy a new one.
  • RuffDraft
    edited August 2010
    I liked the Japanese playlist. I listen to a lot of Japanese Hip Hop but a lot of that I've never heard.

Thanks for the feedback, did you like any tracks in particular?

Always good to discover new music, sure there are artists I've never heard that you listen to :tu

I know we're not a big community at the moment, but The Essence used to be one of the best places to come to hear about new artists, so be good if you could help contribute by posting here as well as in the G&S.
    satyrone wrote: »
    dope mix been awhile since ive heard some japanese hp-hop!!!!

maybe someday down the line ill post a Dubstep mix. jus gotta fix my turntable or buy a new one.

Sounds good! Did you like any tracks in particular?
  • jackthemack
    edited August 2010
    re: plus joints were dope. those were definitely my favorites
  • RuffDraft
    edited August 2010
    re: plus joints were dope. those were definitely my favorites

Their album is really nice, 'Everlasting Truth'.

Good to see in the other thread that you were into Nomak and Nujabes. You ever been to Japan? I wanna go, but I hear it's mad expensive.
  • jackthemack
    edited August 2010
    ya man I got most of Nujabe's work along with Nomak and Uyama Hiroto. I'd love to visit Japan but ya, it's hella expensive B
  • RuffDraft
    edited August 2010
    ya man I got most of Nujabe's work along with Nomak and Uyama Hiroto. I'd love to visit Japan but ya, it's hella expensive B

Good shout on him, I have his A Son of a Sun album... does he have any others?
  • jackthemack
    edited August 2010
    Good shout on him, I have his A Son of a Sun album... does he have any others?

Nah that's only album but he has a ton of production credits on various Hyde Out Productions compilations and some 12" singles with remixes on them.
  • RuffDraft
    edited August 2010
    Nah that's only album but he has a ton of production credits on various Hyde Out Productions compilations and some 12" singles with remixes on them.

Yeah, that's how I first stumbled across his name and did the research on him, I just don't think I have that many of the hyde out productions compilations, I only have 1st and 2nd collection. None of the 12" stuff!
  • jackthemack
    edited August 2010
    What would be the easiest way to make a playlist into mediafire file
  • rip.dilla
    edited August 2010
    Dilla's Essentials

This is my playlist again for those who didn't see it...

It's working perfectly fine for me (?)...
  • Neslom
    edited August 2010
    Dilla's Essentials

This is my playlist again for those who didn't see it...

It's working perfectly fine for me (?)...

I really don't understand why I can't make it start download. Is it possible for you to put it on rapidshare too?
  • rip.dilla
    edited August 2010
    I really don't understand why I can't make it start download. Is it possible for you to put it on rapidshare too?

I'll try...

RuffDraft's gotten it though...
  • RuffDraft
    edited August 2010
    I'll try...

RuffDraft's gotten it though...

Did work first time for me... I've just checked it again and it's still working...