How hard is the transition from a PC to a MAC?

Options
2»

Comments

• King Erauno
    King Erauno Members Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    its easy as ? . i got a macbook pro..best investment ive made. ? just works to flawlessly...mainly because apple makes the hardware and software so its guaranteed to work. microsoft makes windows and there ara million pc manufacturers.

? works ..its simple, fast and easy to understand
  • ill_lojikal_kon
    ill_lojikal_kon Members Posts: 179 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    darkone360 wrote: »
    i got a macbook. hell, if u got an iphone, best choice is a mac. pc has too many issues regarding bugs, and ? . don't have that issue wit mac

This is ? . There were/are a couple of issues with Mac computers in the past and present.
    down2earth wrote: »
    The first thing you have to do when switching from a Mac to a PC is to let all the hype and inhibitions take a backseat. Macs seem foreign to alot of people because they've always been PC, but that doesn't mean the transition is hard at all.

1. Most software on the market has a Mac equivalent and/or is compatible with both OSs.
    2. If you use mostly Windows based software at your job or at home or at school, it's fine. Use bootcamp and slap Windows on your mac and boot up in Windows when you have to do work with that software. If you wanna use both, drop $80 on a program called Parallel that lets you dual-boot in Mac and Windows.
    3. The mac operation system is more user friendly, as there are less screen/hoops to jump through, you click on what you want on the desktop, and the options for the program you are currently using appear in the upper left hand corner of the screen. It's very easy and clean.
    4. Apple products work seamlessly with one another, you don't have to worry about ? ? up and not working like it's supposed too.
    5. On a Mac you get a bunch of full version useful software already loaded on the machine, not a bunch of ? promotional and trial software that clogs up your computer and that you have to take off.
    6. The virus protection companies won't make a ? killing off of you anymore, they make virus protection for the Mac, but right now (and probably not ever) most people don't use any. I could go into why Macs don't get as many viruses but that is another thread entirely.
    7. The quality of service you get from Apple is the best in the world, no talking to a guy from India who's name is "Matt". You get top-notch tech support from American techs, and he happens to be a Frenchman, his English is damn good.

The transition isn't hard, you just have to acknowledge that it is a different system with alot of similarities. And for the record you can right click with the original apple mouse, you just have to click very carefully. There is a right and left click present on that mouse, I know because I operate one 5 days out of the week.

I would LIKE to disagree... but I can't. Pretty much everything is on point.
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    buttuh_b wrote: »
    I mean not having to deal with that virus ? alone is a good enough reason for me. All those antivirus programs are wack as ? . But other than that its just a preference thing... only people who have used both heavily understand.

If you believe macs are not prone to virii and trojans, this means you're probably infected already. Apple has been telling their users to buy AV software since 2002 for OS9 and there's some rather large Mac-based botnets out there right now using infected Macs to do all manner of things. Macs need AV just like Windows-based PC's.
  • konceptjones
    edited July 2010
    Options
    The first thing you have to do when switching from a Mac to a PC is to let all the hype and inhibitions take a backseat. Macs seem foreign to alot of people because they've always been PC, but that doesn't mean the transition is hard at all.

1. Most software on the market has a Mac equivalent and/or is compatible with both OSs.

True, making the argument for using a Mac specifically for music and video null.
    2. If you use mostly Windows based software at your job or at home or at school, it's fine. Use bootcamp and slap Windows on your mac and boot up in Windows when you have to do work with that software. If you wanna use both, drop $80 on a program called Parallel that lets you dual-boot in Mac and Windows.

Which if fine, but utterly ? . Why pay far more money on a Mac, just to have to spend even more just to get the apps you need running to work under an entirely different OS?
    3. The mac operation system is more user friendly, as there are less screen/hoops to jump through, you click on what you want on the desktop, and the options for the program you are currently using appear in the upper left hand corner of the screen. It's very easy and clean.

Having been a Mac user/owner for nearly 20 years, I can say that this statement is purely opinion driven. To me, OSX is built for retards... I've hated OSX since the day it debuted and haven't grown accustomed to it since. But, that's my opinion. I don't want to feel like a preschooler when I use my computers, and that's just how OSX makes me feel.
    4. Apple products work seamlessly with one another, you don't have to worry about ? ? up and not working like it's supposed too.

And the same goes for Windows products. This isn't 1997 when Windows would crash for no reason, in 2010, XP, Vista, and Win7 all work quite well.
    5. On a Mac you get a bunch of full version useful software already loaded on the machine, not a bunch of ? promotional and trial software that clogs up your computer and that you have to take off.

I'll give you this, unless you get the PC custom built for you (something which can never happen with a Mac). Even then, Windows only has a video editing app included with it, however, there's some extremely powerful free apps available to replace anything you may feel you're missing.
    6. The virus protection companies won't make a ? killing off of you anymore, they make virus protection for the Mac, but right now (and probably not ever) most people don't use any. I could go into why Macs don't get as many viruses but that is another thread entirely.
    As I said earlier, there are virii and trojans in the wild for Macs. There's entire botnets that utilize only hijacked Macs, meaning that all you smug Mac owners that believe they're impervious to being compromised have probably already been hijacked.
    7. The quality of service you get from Apple is the best in the world, no talking to a guy from India who's name is "Matt". You get top-notch tech support from American techs, and he happens to be a Frenchman, his English is damn good.

Sorry, Dell's service demolishes Apple's all day, every day, and twice on Sundays and this is widely known. I had an Inspiron 630M laptop a few years ago, had it in my backpack and had a set of headphones connected to it. I dropped it and ? up the headphone jack (necessitating a motherboard swap), I called Dell and the NEXT DAY they had sent a guy to my crib to replace the motherboard, no charge to me. Same laptop got scuffed and scratched up due to my heavy use and when I went to sell it I wanted it to look better. I called Dell and they sent a guy out to replace the entire shell of the laptop, free of charge to me. Mac owners usually have to pack up their machine and take it to an Apple store for repair.
    The transition isn't hard, you just have to acknowledge that it is a different system with alot of similarities. And for the record you can right click with the original apple mouse, you just have to click very carefully. There is a right and left click present on that mouse, I know because I operate one 5 days out of the week.

Add to this the fact that Mac's are ridiculously expensive for what you get and you see there's no good reason to buy one unless you just want to be "stylish" and "trendy" by owning one.

Seriously... Right now a 24 core PC with 32GB of RAM, 2x 1TB HD's, a 2GB ATI 5970 video card, Blu-Ray/DVD/CD burner, an Audiophile 192, and Win7 Ultimate can be had for over $3500 cheaper than the fastest Mac Pro (8 cores) with the same amount of RAM, same two hard drives, inferior video, inferior burner, and inferior audio capabilities. The iMac is no different with better equipped Dell's for the same or cheaper than a lesser equipped iMac.
  • down2earth
    down2earth Members Posts: 953 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    This is ? . There were/are a couple of issues with Mac computers in the past and present.

I would LIKE to disagree... but I can't. Pretty much everything is on point.

Mac computer do have their issues, anybody who denies this is a fanboy and is as bad as an apple hater. They just have a lot less issues, which has been their strongpoint. And word to that acknowledgment of my post.....preciate it.
  • down2earth
    edited July 2010
    Options
    True, making the argument for using a Mac specifically for music and video null.

Which if fine, but utterly ? . Why pay far more money on a Mac, just to have to spend even more just to get the apps you need running to work under an entirely different OS?

Having been a Mac user/owner for nearly 20 years, I can say that this statement is purely opinion driven. To me, OSX is built for retards... I've hated OSX since the day it debuted and haven't grown accustomed to it since. But, that's my opinion. I don't want to feel like a preschooler when I use my computers, and that's just how OSX makes me feel.

And the same goes for Windows products. This isn't 1997 when Windows would crash for no reason, in 2010, XP, Vista, and Win7 all work quite well.

I'll give you this, unless you get the PC custom built for you (something which can never happen with a Mac). Even then, Windows only has a video editing app included with it, however, there's some extremely powerful free apps available to replace anything you may feel you're missing.

As I said earlier, there are virii and trojans in the wild for Macs. There's entire botnets that utilize only hijacked Macs, meaning that all you smug Mac owners that believe they're impervious to being compromised have probably already been hijacked.

Sorry, Dell's service demolishes Apple's all day, every day, and twice on Sundays and this is widely known. I had an Inspiron 630M laptop a few years ago, had it in my backpack and had a set of headphones connected to it. I dropped it and ? up the headphone jack (necessitating a motherboard swap), I called Dell and the NEXT DAY they had sent a guy to my crib to replace the motherboard, no charge to me. Same laptop got scuffed and scratched up due to my heavy use and when I went to sell it I wanted it to look better. I called Dell and they sent a guy out to replace the entire shell of the laptop, free of charge to me. Mac owners usually have to pack up their machine and take it to an Apple store for repair.

Add to this the fact that Mac's are ridiculously expensive for what you get and you see there's no good reason to buy one unless you just want to be "stylish" and "trendy" by owning one.

Seriously... Right now a 24 core PC with 32GB of RAM, 2x 1TB HD's, a 2GB ATI 5970 video card, Blu-Ray/DVD/CD burner, an Audiophile 192, and Win7 Ultimate can be had for over $3500 cheaper than the fastest Mac Pro (8 cores) with the same amount of RAM, same two hard drives, inferior video, inferior burner, and inferior audio capabilities. The iMac is no different with better equipped Dell's for the same or cheaper than a lesser equipped iMac.

Ill answer these in the order that you answered mine.....

2. Most software people use today is dual-platform compatible, I was just saying that if you have some proprietary Windows stuff that you can use it on your Mac still. And I don't know about you, but i have plenty copies of Windows laying around....I believe that is the case for most people.

3. So wait..lemme get this straight...because an OS is easy to use/navigate and it's very clean it must be built for retards? So a complex UI means it's more advanced? I don't think so man. I've heard this line of logic before and I think it's crazy. Making the learning curve less steep and having and easy-to-use UI/OS is called good customer service and it doesn't mean anything negative. It means that anyone can hop onto a Mac and use one. But I respect your opinion on that.

4. Vista was a piece of garbage, but yea you're right about the other ones.

5. don't need to discuss that one

6. There are trojans and malware for Mac, but it's a VERY small percentage compared to Windows, so yea i'll keep feeling smug when I'm on my Mac vice when i'm on my Windows machine. A few trojans and Malware cases compared to the thousands of virus/malware/trojans I can get on my Windows machine is a one-sided choice. And yes the propaganda about Mac attacks will continue to stay in the media because the virus protection companies don't like having a way to dig into Mac users pockets. Yea as the market share gets larger people will focus on them more, but i don't think it will ever grow to the magnitude of Windows.

7. I call ? and I call it all day, every day, and twice on sunday. Dell's customer service only recently got better, and it's still lacking. You have to pay for their best support, whereas you can go into an Apple Store, or make an appointment and get seen when you need to. There's a reason Apple is ranked that top consistently. HP/Toshiba/Dell and all these guys cut corner and try to save money outsourcing their support to India and it ends up being TERRIBLE.....here's some links i'd like you to look at.....just to show i'm not blowing smoke.

http://www.infoworld.com/d/adventures-in-it/in-defense-dells-customer-service-536

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/04/17/apple-tops-pc-customer-service-rankings/

8. You may be right, i'm always in favor of building my own ? ...but my Imac is the ? , the support is topnotch and the quality of the product is top of the line. I'd build my own ? if i wanted to, but i elected to get an Imac, and i'm not disappointed.....as far as more powerful.....what the ? would you be doing with all that?
  • killap
    killap Members Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Macs are great for people who do not know the ins n outs of windows much more user friendly I'd buy one for my Grandma or something. Macs are good to go out the box you dont need to go out and buy anti-virus n all that. All that talk about them being better for graphic artists, Dj's, etc is false they are better than the average PC is at that kind of stuff but you can buy a laptop better than a Macbook Pro for a lot less. If you do not want to deal with all the hassles of tweeking windows then go Mac its easy to transition you will not regret it but just dont do it because of the hype they are not superior to PC's.
  • konceptjones
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Ill answer these in the order that you answered mine.....

2. Most software people use today is dual-platform compatible, I was just saying that if you have some proprietary Windows stuff that you can use it on your Mac still. And I don't know about you, but i have plenty copies of Windows laying around....I believe that is the case for most people.

3. So wait..lemme get this straight...because an OS is easy to use/navigate and it's very clean it must be built for retards? So a complex UI means it's more advanced? I don't think so man. I've heard this line of logic before and I think it's crazy. Making the learning curve less steep and having and easy-to-use UI/OS is called good customer service and it doesn't mean anything negative. It means that anyone can hop onto a Mac and use one. But I respect your opinion on that.

To me, the Win32 paradigm was much easier to pick up than OSX. Mind you, I'm a heavy Unix user, and have been so for quite some time so the idea of a GUI has really never been foreign to me (I was also an Amiga 200 HD and Atari ST owner in the late 80's and early 90's). Easy desktop GUI = power hidden from the user in OSX, that's what it was designed to do. You dumb it down so that anyone can use it, and hide the power-user stuff, but have it still there in case someone really want to use it (but bury it to discourage it's use). In the mid 80's, Steve Jobs stated the reason that Apple designed the Lisa and Mac OS was so that anyone could use it. He specifically called out the executive that ran the company but wasn't smart enough to wait for the red light to go out on the floppy drive before taking the disk out, thus destroying the data. This was the reason a Mac user could never just walk up to a Mac and just pull a disk out, you had to drag it to the trash first and it would do it for you.
    4. Vista was a piece of garbage, but yea you're right about the other ones.

OSX was utter trash when it first came out and until 10.3, it remained horribly unstable and nearly useless. The list of complaints about OSX was long, but the mere fact that it wasn't capable of playing DVD's or burning CD's on release was inexcusable on Apple's part.
    5. don't need to discuss that one

6. There are trojans and malware for Mac, but it's a VERY small percentage compared to Windows, so yea i'll keep feeling smug when I'm on my Mac vice when i'm on my Windows machine. A few trojans and Malware cases compared to the thousands of virus/malware/trojans I can get on my Windows machine is a one-sided choice. And yes the propaganda about Mac attacks will continue to stay in the media because the virus protection companies don't like having a way to dig into Mac users pockets. Yea as the market share gets larger people will focus on them more, but i don't think it will ever grow to the magnitude of Windows.

"Fewer" doesn't negate the fact that they're out there and there's many compromised OSX boxes with their owners completely unaware of it. Yours may even be one of them.
    7. I call ? and I call it all day, every day, and twice on sunday. Dell's customer service only recently got better, and it's still lacking. You have to pay for their best support, whereas you can go into an Apple Store, or make an appointment and get seen when you need to. There's a reason Apple is ranked that top consistently. HP/Toshiba/Dell and all these guys cut corner and try to save money outsourcing their support to India and it ends up being TERRIBLE.....here's some links i'd like you to look at.....just to show i'm not blowing smoke.

Years ago, Dell outsourced like every other company out there, but when the complaints got loud, they brought the bulk of it back to the US.

Consider this though:

The cost of a 15" Macbook with the 2.4GHz Core i5, 4GB RAM, 320GB HD, 15" WS display by itself is $1799 directly from Apple.
    The cost of a Dell Studio15 with the 2.4GHz Core i5, 4GB RAM, 320GB HD, 15" 1080p display, 1GB ATI Radeon HD 5470 GPU, Sound Blaster X-fi audio subsystem, Windows 7 Ultimate, AND the 3 year Premium Service Plan (which includes 4-6hr turnaround for in-home service) runs $1761 directly from Dell.

To approach the same level of service from Apple, you have to pay an additional $349 for an AppleCare Protection Plan, pushing the cost of the MacBook to $2148
    8. You may be right, i'm always in favor of building my own ? ...but my Imac is the ? , the support is topnotch and the quality of the product is top of the line. I'd build my own ? if i wanted to, but i elected to get an Imac, and i'm not disappointed.....as far as more powerful.....what the ? would you be doing with all that?

The "quality" is no different than any PC. The motherboards that Apple uses are made by Foxconn, same company that OEM's boards for an assload of manufacturers. They come off the same assembly line as everyone else's boards and are no different in quality. The video cards Apple offers for their Mac Pro's are actually inferior to anything that the major PC companies offer for even their mid-range machines and the laptop video subsystems are no different. They get their hard drives from the same OEM that everyone else gets theirs from (Seagate), and their displays are built by the same OEM's as everyone else (LG, Samsung, etc) using many of the same LCD's, but in an apple designed shell. The myth of Apple having superior quality is laughable when you know where they get their stuff from.

Speaking of displays and this "great" Apple service: I remember a few years back that customers were complaining left and right about their aluminum Cinema Displays gradually turning pink or yellow. Apple ignored the outcry, even resorting to locking or removing complaints about it on their discussions page over at apple.com. Just like now, with the iPhone 4, Apple refused to acknowledge the antenna issue until there was a huge public outcry over it. So much for great service... How can there be great service when they refuse to acknowledge problems with their hardware?

(edit) as for what would I do with that much processing power???

Run FL Studio, rewired to Cubase with whatever plugins my heart desired running, while rendering a scene in Bryce or 3DS Max, with Tribes or Unreal Tournament running in observer mode, all while running VMWare Server with a couple of Linux VM's running, likely compiling code in each one.
  • konceptjones
    edited July 2010
    Options
    killap wrote: »
    Macs are great for people who do not know the ins n outs of windows much more user friendly I'd buy one for my Grandma or something. Macs are good to go out the box you dont need to go out and buy anti-virus n all that. All that talk about them being better for graphic artists, Dj's, etc is false they are better than the average PC is at that kind of stuff but you can buy a laptop better than a Macbook Pro for a lot less. If you do not want to deal with all the hassles of tweeking windows then go Mac its easy to transition you will not regret it but just dont do it because of the hype they are not superior to PC's.

Windows doesn't need to be tweaked, and Mac users DO need to buy AV software (Apple says you do AND even offers a free download of Avast)

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/networking_security/avastantivirusmacedition.html
    http://www.internetnews.com/security/article.php/3788241/Apple-Recommends-Antivirus-for-Mac-Users.htm
  • killap
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Windows doesn't need to be tweaked, and Mac users DO need to buy AV software (Apple says you do AND even offers a free download of Avast)

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/networking_security/avastantivirusmacedition.html
    http://www.internetnews.com/security/article.php/3788241/Apple-Recommends-Antivirus-for-Mac-Users.htm

Thats untrue to get the most out of Windows you must tweak it (why wouldnt you disable services you dont use) and I have no AV software on any of the Macs I've had and no problems whatsoever I cant say the same for my PC's so while 'you' may need AV software for Mac the average user does not I do pretty much the same thing I do on my PC that I do on my Mac yet only one has had a virus....Apple also says I need a case for my Iphone to prevent reception problems????
  • jonlakadeadmic
    jonlakadeadmic Members Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    once you go mac you never go back
  • down2earth
    edited July 2010
    Options
    To me, the Win32 paradigm was much easier to pick up than OSX. Mind you, I'm a heavy Unix user, and have been so for quite some time so the idea of a GUI has really never been foreign to me (I was also an Amiga 200 HD and Atari ST owner in the late 80's and early 90's). Easy desktop GUI = power hidden from the user in OSX, that's what it was designed to do. You dumb it down so that anyone can use it, and hide the power-user stuff, but have it still there in case someone really want to use it (but bury it to discourage it's use). In the mid 80's, Steve Jobs stated the reason that Apple designed the Lisa and Mac OS was so that anyone could use it. He specifically called out the executive that ran the company but wasn't smart enough to wait for the red light to go out on the floppy drive before taking the disk out, thus destroying the data. This was the reason a Mac user could never just walk up to a Mac and just pull a disk out, you had to drag it to the trash first and it would do it for you.

OSX was utter trash when it first came out and until 10.3, it remained horribly unstable and nearly useless. The list of complaints about OSX was long, but the mere fact that it wasn't capable of playing DVD's or burning CD's on release was inexcusable on Apple's part.

"Fewer" doesn't negate the fact that they're out there and there's many compromised OSX boxes with their owners completely unaware of it. Yours may even be one of them.

Years ago, Dell outsourced like every other company out there, but when the complaints got loud, they brought the bulk of it back to the US.

Consider this though:

The cost of a 15" Macbook with the 2.4GHz Core i5, 4GB RAM, 320GB HD, 15" WS display by itself is $1799 directly from Apple.
    The cost of a Dell Studio15 with the 2.4GHz Core i5, 4GB RAM, 320GB HD, 15" 1080p display, 1GB ATI Radeon HD 5470 GPU, Sound Blaster X-fi audio subsystem, Windows 7 Ultimate, AND the 3 year Premium Service Plan (which includes 4-6hr turnaround for in-home service) runs $1761 directly from Dell.

To approach the same level of service from Apple, you have to pay an additional $349 for an AppleCare Protection Plan, pushing the cost of the MacBook to $2148

The "quality" is no different than any PC. The motherboards that Apple uses are made by Foxconn, same company that OEM's boards for an assload of manufacturers. They come off the same assembly line as everyone else's boards and are no different in quality. The video cards Apple offers for their Mac Pro's are actually inferior to anything that the major PC companies offer for even their mid-range machines and the laptop video subsystems are no different. They get their hard drives from the same OEM that everyone else gets theirs from (Seagate), and their displays are built by the same OEM's as everyone else (LG, Samsung, etc) using many of the same LCD's, but in an apple designed shell. The myth of Apple having superior quality is laughable when you know where they get their stuff from.

Speaking of displays and this "great" Apple service: I remember a few years back that customers were complaining left and right about their aluminum Cinema Displays gradually turning pink or yellow. Apple ignored the outcry, even resorting to locking or removing complaints about it on their discussions page over at apple.com. Just like now, with the iPhone 4, Apple refused to acknowledge the antenna issue until there was a huge public outcry over it. So much for great service... How can there be great service when they refuse to acknowledge problems with their hardware?

(edit) as for what would I do with that much processing power???

Run FL Studio, rewired to Cubase with whatever plugins my heart desired running, while rendering a scene in Bryce or 3DS Max, with Tribes or Unreal Tournament running in observer mode, all while running VMWare Server with a couple of Linux VM's running, likely compiling code in each one.

Yea you make good points, but in all actuality all i was doing was pointing out some key factors for transitioning from PC to Mac.....i think we kinda derailed the thread a bit, but anyways.....

1. Power may be hidden from the user, but like you said it's there if you know how/want to access it
    2. Ok, point taken, and yea that was bad
    3. Fewer doesn't negate all the risks, that is completely correct and yea my Imac may be compromised, chances are it's not, because i run 2 virus protection programs on mine because i'm paranoid like that. The point still stands, there are not nearly the amount of threats to Mac as there are on Windows. You can say there are some, but "some" is a whole helluvalot better than "thousands"...lets not play too many semantic games here.
    4. Yea Macs cost more on average. But the aluminum casing that comes on Macbook Pros is alot more durable than the material some PCs are made with. That package you named costs more no doubt, but i get alot more for my money. I get the best customer support, and the ability to walk in an apple store and get my ? handled (i happen to have an apple store down the street in walking distance from my house). Not to mention I get a machine that is very sleek, lightweight, and doesn't crank out heat like a furnace. You know your ? and make valid points, but i think you're looking at the hardware too much (which i agree is mostly the same since it's all mass manufactured) instead of the complete package.
    5. Answered a bit of that in my last one, but yea, most of the parts are the same, but the complete package is also what we're discussing. Yes Apple does have a problem admitting their ? has faults, and to my knowledge they replaced your ? no questions asked/free of charge if your brought your computer in what that ? up display, even if the warranty had recently expired. The iphone 4 fiasco is another story, and even then they opted to give people free bumpers.....i dunno if any other company would have done that, since they're all greedy ? (including apple).

6. All that sounds fun, but you're a small minority of users who do that, so yea for that i would build my own ? ....unfortunately you can't quite do it the way you want to with apple, so i'd elect to buy parts and do it myself.

You know your stuff, but i don't wanna derail the thread anymore and the point i was trying to make was, transitioning is easy. Probably should make another thread for this. Was fun debating though.
  • young fatal
    young fatal Members Posts: 540
    edited July 2010
    Options
  • Michael_Malice
    Michael_Malice Members Posts: 17,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    I crossed over back in 05' ? was dumb easy. Now, whenever I have to use a PC for something I just wanna break it.

imac.preview.jpg

FTW!

Same here. I will never use a PC again unless it is at work.
  • Ounceman
    Ounceman Members Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    once you go mac you never go back

This is true. ever since i got my hands on logic pro, i havent cared to even look in windows' direction ever since

*yes apple fanboy speaking. im so over and through with windows is not even remotely funny*
  • killap
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Simply put anything you can do on a Mac you can do on a PC and vice versa
  • powerman 5000
    powerman 5000 Members Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Simply put anything you can do on a Mac you can do on a PC and vice versa

negative.. somethings require a full .net frame work not some thrown together ? half compiled library that macs use. But the switch from PC to mac is very easy. If you can use a PC, you can use a ? box (mac). If you do common everyday things like word processing and downloading a mac is good for that. I do processor intense computing with special drives so there's no way that a mac would suit me. A mac mini can't even handle a bluray drive. 500 bucks, for what? I could take that same $500 to tiger direct and build a computer that would rival a mac pro that could also run osx better than any mac on the market today. Bottom line is if you do regular run of the mill things and want to impress people by how much money you spent, there's nothing wrong with stuntin, then yeah get a mac. But if you actually want to learn and understand how things work get at least a windows computer. from there, the possibilities are endless.
  • powerman 5000
    edited August 2010
    Options
    ccluvsau wrote: »
    I plan to use it for my phone, work, docs and I need to be able to carry it around everywhere.
    As far as software and things like that...IDK.

why don't you just get a net book then?
  • konceptjones
    edited August 2010
    Options

^^^ I'm probably gettin an older Acer Aspire One pretty soon (Intel Atom N230, 160GB HD, etc). The one that shipped with XP on it instead of Win7 like they all have now.

I want it to take on trips to play movies, offload pics I take from my camera, and ? around in FL Studio.
  • killap
    edited August 2010
    Options
    ccluvsau wrote: »
    I plan to use it for my phone, work, docs and I need to be able to carry it around everywhere.
    As far as software and things like that...IDK
    negative.. somethings require a full .net frame work not some thrown together ? half compiled library that macs use. But the switch from PC to mac is very easy. If you can use a PC, you can use a ? box (mac). If you do common everyday things like word processing and downloading a mac is good for that. I do processor intense computing with special drives so there's no way that a mac would suit me. A mac mini can't even handle a bluray drive. 500 bucks, for what? I could take that same $500 to tiger direct and build a computer that would rival a mac pro that could also run osx better than any mac on the market today. Bottom line is if you do regular run of the mill things and want to impress people by how much money you spent, there's nothing wrong with stuntin, then yeah get a mac. But if you actually want to learn and understand how things work get at least a windows computer. from there, the possibilities are endless.
    hmmmm thats funny I didnt realize the stuff the threadstarter wants to do required a full .net framework.
  • powerman 5000
    edited August 2010
    Options
    hmmmm thats funny I didnt realize the stuff the threadstarter wants to do required a full .net framework.

indeed... very funny indeed. what's even funnier is that isn't what I replied to.
  • powerman 5000
    edited August 2010
    Options
    ^^^ I'm probably gettin an older Acer Aspire One pretty soon (Intel Atom N230, 160GB HD, etc). The one that shipped with XP on it instead of Win7 like they all have now.

I want it to take on trips to play movies, offload pics I take from my camera, and ? around in FL Studio.

I've been more than pleased with my netbooks. I had a dell mini 9 and now I have a mini 10. Both ran OSX flawlessly. I upgraded my 10 to a 640gb hard drive and triple booted it with win7 and fedora 13. Great on trips and great for anything you need to do. I tether it to my evo now and have internet access at all times. not bad for a $230 computer.
  • ccluvsau
    ccluvsau Members Posts: 1,852 ✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options

I do have an HP Mini netbook, and a regular notebook (Asus...yes ASUS not ACER lol)
  • killap
    edited August 2010
    Options
    indeed... very funny indeed. what's even funnier is that isn't what I replied to.

you quoted me saying that it wouldnt matter if she got a pc or mac